Misschef

Default The origins of Texas style chili

Thank you, Jack for pointing that out. I got my recipe from a Hungarian
neighbor of mine. She is in her 60's and has only lived in the US for about
15 years, speaks English with difficulty, and is a marvelous cook. Her
recipe for Goulash includes pork, Szeged paprika, sauerkraut and potatoes.
She calls it Szeged Goulash and swears it is the ONLY Hungarian goulash, but
I suspect the recipes in Hungary are regional, depending on the origin. As
in most countries cuisines, there are probably many, many variations on a
single recipe.

Yes, the recipe you posted is indeed quite similar to Texas Chili!! It
sounds marvelous, I will try it soon.

I humbly retract my previous statements regarding the lack of comparison.

Misschef

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
m...

> "Misschef" > wrote in message
> hlink.net...
> > Yes, Linda. I agree wholeheartedly. Hungarian Goulash with pork and
> > sauerkraut is one of my favorite dishes. It was being compared to chili,
> > though and I couldn't see the relationship. ) Misschef
> >

> Goulash is a descendent of Gulyasleves, a Hungarian beef soup.
> Ingredients
> 6 small dried red chiles such as Cayenne or Piquin
> 5 Tablespoons hot Hungarian paprika
> 1 cup flour
> 1 pound cubed, boneless beef chuck
> 2 Tablespoons bacon fat or oil
> 1 medium onion, cut in thin slices
> 1 large carrot, peeled and diced
> 4 cups beef broth
> 1 tablespoon fresh black pepper, coarsely ground
> 3/4 teaspoon caraway seeds
>
> <similar to texas beef chile, yes?>
>
> Here's another:
>
> a.. 2 lb. beef chuck
> b.. 1 tsp. salt
> c.. 2 onions, white or yellow
> d.. 2 Tbsp. lard or shortening
> e.. 2 Tbsp. imported sweet paprika (most important to use real hungarian
> paprika for ultimate flavor)
> f.. 2 bay leaves
> g.. 1 Qt. water
> h.. 4 peeled and diced potatoes
> i.. 1/4 tsp. black pepper
> Other than Székely gulyás, which is made with pork and sauerkraut, Gulyas

is