Posted to rec.food.sourdough
Sam Sam is offline

Default Cheap digital scale (up to 11 lbs.)

Mike Avery wrote:
> Sam wrote:
>
>> That scale looks good - but nowhere I can see what precision this scale
>> has - 1, 2, 3, 5 g?
>>

> I hate to weigh in on the matter, but as long as you are doing
> sourdough, it really doesn't matter THAT much.

That depends - I deal with smaller amounts when growing starters or
other ingredients.

+- 5 on 20 g sure can be an issue and getting baking losses when every
ingredient is measured individually with a certain tolerance in addition
to one's own inaccuracy - why is it now off that much? Where did I mess up?

Also - my amounts as home baker are relatively small, inaccuracies add
up. When growing starter in multiple stages, there are fermentation
losses. If one wants to get - just for the fun of it - a hold on those
values, even 1 g accuracy may not be enough.

And when getting a new one, why not get it right. Thanks for the reference.

that's what Harborfreight had to say:

>> There is not spec that shows the accuracy.
>>
>> Glenn Bronner
>> Customer Service Supervisor

The Escali I had started "floating" at low weights - one plastic bag, 3
g in tare would disappear. The off button was dysfunctional for a long
time and now the display had to show everything all the time.
> However, there are a few other options. Go to eBay and look for "My
> Weigh 7001DX" in both the title and description. You'll find a number
> of reputable vendors selling it for as little as $10 plus shipping. It
> will weigh up to 7,000 grams (15 pounds) to a resolution of 1 gram.

Thanks for the links - seems to be good, ordered one.