Vicki Beausoleil

Default Breakfast

J David Anderson wrote:

> Reposted from correct (spamtrap) account.
>
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 10:56:03 -0500, Alan wrote:
>
> >On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:22:27 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Edwards"
> > wrote:
> >
> >>Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
> >>I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
> >>thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
> >>All the best,
> >>Phil
> >>

> >I get fruit yogurt with no added sugar -- some artificial sweetener.
> >
> >Or, you can make it yourself with some plain yogurt and, say, some
> >strawberries, or raspberries, etc. etc.
> >
> >I like it because I don't drink much milk, and it is a way to get some
> >calcium and protein along with the fruit.

> Way too high in carbs.
>
> A 125gm (very small) tub of diet or light yogurt with fruit may not have
> *added* sugar but according to label on my wife's yogurt it still
> contains 24gm's of carbohydrate and only 6 gms protein. This is
> supported by FitDay software. Too many carbs and not enough protein.
>
> A ham & egg omelette with shallots and low fat cheese only contains 3.5
> carbs and 24 grams of protein (if made with fully lean smoked ham).
>
> The yogurt is for a low fat diet, not a low carb diet.
>
> I know which I prefer.
>
> Regards
>
> David

I don't know what kind of yogurt you're getting, but the two kinds of
artificially sweetened fruit flavoured yogurt available here have 6 and
8 g of carbs per 125 g serving. Maybe yours is sweetened with sugar? The
amount of carbs you give is about what's available in the
sugar-sweetened products.

Danone Silhouette - 8 g - sweetened with aspartame
Yoplait Source - 6 g - sweetened with Splenda

Vicki