Posted to alt.food.wine
Jim Mehl Jim Mehl is offline

Default Some older Chardonnays

Chateau Garage pressed our 2007 Napa Rutherford Cabernet this week.
While doing so, one of our group decided to do a little cellar cleaning.
We opened a 1979 and 1980 Kistler Chardonnay and a 1979
Chateau Montelena Chardonnay. Both of the Kistlers were pretty
much undrinkable. It wasn't so much the oxidation, but a total lack
of fruit and a "chemical" character. The Chateau Montelena was rather
nice. Definitely older, but still good Chardonnay fruit and a LOT of
complexity. I think I will have to put Chateau Montelena up there with
Stony Hill as a California Chardonnay that ages well.
Jim