Alan

Default Breakfast

On Sat, 19 Jun 2004 22:22:27 +0000 (UTC), "Philip Edwards"
> wrote:

>Anybody suggest a good breakfast for a newly diagnosed type 2?
>I'm stuck on porridge oats at the moment, but they are a bit fussy first
>thing in the morning. I need something a bit more instant.
>All the best,
>Phil

Hi Philip.

Porridge oats at breakfast are a dim memory for me, as is all breakfast
cereal. I notice you've been lurking on m.h.d. so I presume you are
testing as recommended by Jennifer at
http://www.alt-support-diabetes.org/...0Diagnosed.htm .

So you want more than unfussy. You also want "un-spiky". I've posted
some more detailed ideas that I use after the "scrambled egg":

If time is a problem, try microwave scrambled egg. Crack an egg into a
mug, add a splash of milk, whisk roughly with a fork, season to taste.
Put it in the microwave on high for one minute while you pour out your
cuppa. Stir when cooked, and eat from the mug. You'll find out fairly
quickly if you need to adjust the cooking time. Add some chopped parsley
or your favourite herb for variety.

Now, for non-spike breakfasts:

Breakfasts

1. Egg. The humble egg can be cooked in so many ways: poached, fried
(minimal oil in a non-stick pan), normal omelette (beat it lightly while
cooking), fluffy omelette (seperate, whip the white with a spoonful of
water, fold back with filling and yolk), scrambled with a little milk,
frittata (sort of a heavier omelette with filling), and baked. Use
fillings, cheese, fresh herbs if you can, dried if you can't.

2. Protein. Bacon, Ham, small steak, hamburger patty (watch the fat),
chicken, fish (smoked, canned or fresh), prosciutto, hot dogs and so on.
Can be fried, grilled/broiled, chopped after cooking and added to
omelettes, frittata or scrambled eggs. Fish can be also be cooked as
mornays.

3. Mushrooms. Small ones can be sliced and cooked with onions, herbs ,
garlic etc and a little oil and flour for a gravy. Large ones can be
filled with bolognaise or napoli sauce (or whatever you like), topped
with grated cheese and baked in the oven. Also another good omelette
filling.

4. Casseroles and stews - beef, lamb, chicken, mince (ground beef) etc
can be pre-prepared and divided into individual breakfast sized serves.
Put them in small plastic containers in the freezer and zap one in the
microwave for breakfast. Check the carbs in the recipe to check
suitability. Beef bourgignon, Irish Stew (watch the spuds), chicken
fricassee, whatever your favourite is.

5. Leftovers - slices of roast meat, re-heated or cold, re-heated chops
etc.

Cheers, Alan, T2 d&e, Australia.
Remove weight and carbs to email.