Posted to alt.food.diabetic
Julie Bove Julie Bove is offline

Default stuff to do with almond meal and flax meal

"Jackie Patti" > wrote in message
>I posted my cereal recipe on asd recently. It's a mixture of 2 cups almond
>meal, 2 1/2 cups flax meal, 1 3/4 cups raw wheat germ, 2 cups oat bran, 2
>1/2 cups milk isolate protein powder, 1 cup soy lecithin, 1 cup cinnamon
>(approximately 1/2 lb of first 5 ingredients, 1/4 lb of last 2
>ingredients). Store tightly covered in fridge. As needed, mix 3/4 cup dry
>cereal with boiling water to desired consistency; then stir in 1 TB of
>heavy cream. 28g total carb (lots is fiber though), 23g protein and 350
>kilocalories.
>
> I got thinking about what else I do with these ingredients. I use
> lecithin in protein powder shakes also; it's an emulsifier. Probably
> could us it for making mayonnaise too, now that I think of it. But I am
> mostly a lazy cook, so I don't make my own mayo.
>
> I sometimes see recipes for wonderful pastries made with almond meal
> and/or flax meal, sometimes I clip them and save them, but I rarely
> actually get around to making them. I do occasionally spend 4 hours in
> the kitchen, but when I do, I don't expect to have to cook for a week. I'm
> not really motivated to make low-carb cheesecake unless it's a matter of
> just mixing cream cheese with some vanilla and lemon juice and sweetener -
> that's good enough for me.
>
> So here's my actual fast, practical almond meal/flax meal recipes that I
> make all the time:
>
> First one is to make a slice of bread. I use a square pyrex about the
> size of a regular bread slice with a lid. Melt 1 TB butter in the dish in
> the microwave, then stir in 1 beaten egg, 2 TB flax meal, 2 TB almond meal
> and 1/4 tsp baking powder; cover and microwave for 90 seconds.
>
> I will often put the bread on a plate and put a slice of cheese on it;
> then cook an egg in the same pyrex dish to top it with. The whole
> sandwich has 9g total carb, 26g protein and 542 calories. A very fast
> breakfast with minimal dishes involved.
>
> Second one I do often is to make a muffin, which I nuke in a coffee cup.
> This is particularly good when you're craving something specific like a
> banana muffin or garlic bread cause the taste varies depending on what
> extracts/sweeteners or herbs you use. Just melt 2 TB coconut oil in
> coffee cup, beat in 1 egg, 1/4 cup flax meal and either some
> extract/sweetener for a sweet muffin or spices/herbs* for a savory muffin.
> Nuke for 1 minute for a muffin with 17g total carb, 17g protein and 612
> calories.
>
> *Julie can add salt here.

Since I am allergic to almonds, eggs and other things in your recipe, I
wouldn't be making it. I do make a yummy onion bread with flax, sunflower
seeds and a few other ingredients. The recipe calls for Nama Shoyu, but I
don't do soy so I put in a pinch of Celtic Sea Salt. I think I posted it
here before. You need a dehydrator for it.