Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Kent Kent is offline

Default Questions for the steak grilling experts.

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message
>I was watching Food TV the other day and came across a new show FVT
> Canada started carrying hosted by Heston Blumenthal called In Search
> of Perfection. In the episode I saw dealt with searching for grilling
> the perfect steak.
>
> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.
>
> The premise of doing this is that, by cooking the meat in such a low
> temperature, the protein strands do not contract as much. In higher
> temperatures you normally grill your steaks will have those strands
> contract so much that the water molecules or the juices will be
> squeezed out too much and will dry out the meat.
>
> Also, at around 50C/122F, some enzymes are activated and will start
> snipping away at the protein strands, making the meat even more tender
> and also will generate flavour compounds which will make the meat even
> more flavourful.
>
> Once you take the meat out, slice the meat off the bones, then slice
> portion out the steaks and to give it a hot and quick sear, you throw
> the steaks onto a very hot cast iron pan.
>
> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
> credible or plausible? Thanks.

You should sear the outside, and then lower the temp.
To do this:
First, slather the roast, particularly the cut ends, with bacon fat or
rendered salt pork fat. Put it on a Weber kettle[22", not the smaller one]
indirectly, with a drip pan underneath, with a couple of chunks of wood on
the charcoal bed. The grate temp should be about 425F. Close almost of the
all vents and let the grill temp. drop to 300F. When the internal temp of
the standing rib reaches 112F, put the roast in a warming oven or warm place
for 25 min. During that time make your Yorkshire pudding from the pan
drippings.
The next hour will be orgiastic, especially if joined with 1978 Ch.
Gruaud-Larose, St. Julien, as it was tonight.
Cheers,
Kent