Posted to alt.food.barbecue

Default Questions for the steak grilling experts.

"Holy Moses" > wrote in message

> After all his research and experiments, what he recommended and showed
> doing was that you throw in a "forerib of beef", which I think is
> British for prime rib roast, in a 50C/122F oven for 24 hours.

> I'm very tempted to give this a try, but don't want to end up with a
> $60 chunk of mess and inedible experiment either. But what do some of
> you think about Blumenthal's claims and method? Does it sound
> credible or plausible? Thanks.

Yes, it does sound plausible. Prime rib seems to have tow camps, the high
heat and the low heat. IMO< It comes down to preference.

If you take a rib roast and cook it at high heat, you get a pink inside and
a more well done outside inch or so giving a contrasting flavor. Slow
cooking gives a nice pink all the way but you don't get the crusty outside.

I've been to places (and people here have done it) where a rib roast is
smoked slow for some few hours, then sliced and seared as you suggest here.
While 24 hours seems long, at that low of a temperature no serious harm
should come of it. Keep in mind that when you wake up in the morning the
food police may be at your door since it is below 140 degrees and unfit to
eat.
--
Ed
http://pages.cthome.net/edhome/