Posted to rec.food.cooking
Cindi - HappyMamatoThree Cindi - HappyMamatoThree is offline

Default Frozen meals?

"Serene" > wrote in message
> Nancy Young wrote:
>> "Serene" > wrote
>>
>>> I'm going into the hospital for surgery next week. I'll be gone for at
>>> least an overnight, and out of commission for a few days after that.

>> I hope it's nothing serious, good luck with your surgery.

> Serene
> --
> Spin the auto-sig generator, and she says:
>
> We are all atheists about most of the gods that humanity has
> ever believed in. Some of us just go one god further. [Richard
> Dawkins]

<<Snippy the details>>

If he likes breakfast for supper perhaps a breakfast casserole (like this
one http://www.recipezaar.com/32445) would be a nice change perhaps with a
side of fresh fruit.

A nice pot of cream of tomato soup frozen in two serving portions and the
supplies for him to fix a grilled cheese to go with it.

Meatloaf freezes well and he can always cheat and add a side of "instant"
mashed potatoes.

Broccoli and chicken casserole. White sauce base with cheddar and parm,
broccoli florets, chunked chicken, a cup or so of cooked rice, and
mushrooms. Freezes well in small disposable aluminum loaf pans so it's just
a meal for him and not a whole casserole to try and finish off before it
gets boring. Yes it's old fashioned but hey if it works.

I've had two similar throat surgeries and was really thankful for a doctor
who gave me my pain medicine in liquid form so there were no pills to try
and get down, just a suggestion. And for you tuck away a nice choice of
frozen fruit, frozen soy yogurt and splash of juice makes a great smoothie
and it easy on the newly raw throat. Go easy on the juice it can burn. If
protein intake is a worry you can always add protein powder to your
smoothies or soups.

Carbonation is a really bad idea. Since you won't be swallowing as quickly
or easily as usual it can make it's way up your nose. That was a rude
awakening no one warned me about.

Sorry I got off on a tangent there about what might work for you and not all
what you can freeze for your sweetie. I hope you get lots of ideas that will
work and keep him well fed.

Good Luck

Cindi