Posted to rec.food.cooking
Steve Pope Steve Pope is offline

Default Frozen meals?

Serene > wrote:

>What are you favorite freezable meals? Ideally, not hugely high in
>fat, though that's not the most important thing. Most important
>things are that it just has to be popped into the oven, and it's
>tasty.

We've had good luck recently freezing bean-based dishes like
red beans and rice (minus the rice), Tuscan-style white bean
soup (w/ kale and a small fraction of either ham or bacon),
and standard vegetarian chili. These heat best stovetop rather
than oven though, if that's a consideration.

To include a starch component I will include corn in the veggie chili.
Or, for the bean soup I will eat it topped with oat bran, wheat germ,
or crackers. That saves the trouble of boiling up a batch of rice.

Another thought is that tamales, so long as they are reasonably
fresh, freeze/reheat really well (either microwave or steaming). I
think you mentioned at some point you have a good source for tamales.

And best of luck with the medical process....

Steve