Posted to alt.food.barbecue
Dana Myers Dana Myers is offline

Default poaching on the grill

Nonnymus wrote:
> Dana Myers wrote:
>> Nonnymus wrote:
>>> Since we've been dieting to get ready for the holidays

>> Most people I know diet to get ready for summer and the "swimsuit"
>> season. You going to the Bahamas for the holidays?
>>

> Actually, Dana, it's for the Holiday pictures with grandkids and to help
> out a little breathing problem I have.

So, it sounds like you want to reduce your weight for health reasons?

Here's a bit of encouragement; you don't need to be eating wacky stuff
that you don't love. In fact, I'd suggest the opposite; to successfully
reduce weight and keep it off, it requires understanding how the things
you eat and the things you do interact to determine your weight. If
you're "dieting" temporarily, your weight loss will be temporary - so I
discourage people from getting into "diets" they won't sustain.

When I decided to get my weight under control, I didn't "go on a diet";
I changed how I ate and I changed how active I was. The result was
dropping 60 pounds in the first 5 months of this year, and I've since
dropped another 13 or so. I still eat barbecue, drink wine, and nibble
on chocolate (but I don't do any of the above with quite the same
reckless abandon I used to, obviously).

It can be done; it just requires attention to what you're eating and
doing, and remembering that you're *always* on a diet, it's just a
question of what that diet is doing for you :-)

Cheers,
Dana