Alex Rast

Default Why is puff pastry sensitive to tiny differences in method?

This baffles me. I've been experimenting with puff pastry. It's easy enough
to get perfect puff pastry with classic French technique : 2 cups flour, 1
cup butter, enough water to make a rather moist, smooth dough. Pat the
butter into a flat square, roll the dough into a mound with 4 "wings", set
butter on the mound, fold wings into the center, roll, fold in thirds, turn
90 degrees, roll again, fold in thirds, chill, repeat folding rolling and
chilling procedure 2 times. Presto! Foolproof results.

But when I made what seems like a trivial modification (folding the dough
in 4 parts, by folding in half one way and then in half the other, before
rolling), the results were completely different. Since the 4-fold method
will increase the layer count, I only figured I'd need to do the last
repeat for 1 folding instead of 2, ending up with 1024 theoretical layers
(instead of 1458. Big deal). But instead of flaky, the results are
consistently a firmer, more pie-crust like texture - no layers to speak of,
no puffing! Can somebody explain how the difference in folding method can
have such a drastic effect on the final result?
--
Alex Rast