samsmom

Default More on the Drug Bill

"mike gray, CID" > wrote in message >...
> samsmom wrote:
>
> > If testing less than 5 times a day works for you and gives you
> > decent control then thats great!
> > What you do won't work for everyone. There are too many variables.
> > My son is 6 and has had type 1 for 2 yrs. He is a pumper using the
> > paradigm.
> > We test at least 8 times a day to maintain decent control.
> > Everyday is different.
> > Our goal (along with good health) is to let him live his life as
> > close to normal as possible. We must check before physical activities
> > such as gym, soccer, swimming and such. And if the physical exertion
> > has been heavy then we check sometime shortly after to see where his
> > number is headed.
> > His numbers are affected by his varied diet, the temperature outside,
> > the zillion and one viruses passed around school,his mood,human error
> > (air bubbles, etc.) and a thousand more variables each day.
> > My whole point is..... I think it is very arrogant to say that
> > testing 5 times a day is a hobby or a fetish. What works for you
> > won't work for everyone. Samsmom

> You either live in the US or you are very wealthy. Such Rolls-Royce
> treatment is not available to everyone.
>
> If you were Honduran, as a young acquaintance in very similar
> circumstances is, you would get insulin and syringes. Once a month you
> would go to the free clinic where bg would be checked. Your child would
> be on a very strict diet and exercise regimen. And each virus contacted
> at school would make him immune to that virus.
>
> Now that's arrogance! He's so arrogant, he wants to finish eighth grade
> this year so he can get a really good job. He hopes to work repairing
> agricultural machinery.
>
> Count yer blessings.

I think your point was that it is not necessary to test 5 times a
day for anyone.
Your Honduran acquaintance certainly cannot have the best control
possible by having a bg check once a month. There is a need for more
checks but that need is not being met because of the circumstances.
My whole objection is to your one statement about testing 5 times a
day being a hobby or a fetish.
I live in the U.S. We have health insurance through my husbands work
and my sons needs as far as his diabetes are being met.
I am absolutely aware of the people around the world who don't have
access to the proper care that we get. Because his needs are met he
will live a longer and healthier life with a greatly reduced chance of
the complications that can happen in the long term.
I don't think that using the pump is a need. We could achieve good
control with Lantus and Humalog. We did that for a year. I make no
apologies for seeking out the latest and best treatment available.
I do feel that frequent bg checks are a need. They enable us to know
where his number is and where it is going. Thats basic! I could never
achieve the control that we have with one check a month. I could keep
him alive and feed the lows but I would have no way of distinguishing
between a 200,300,400 and so on. A strict diet does nothing for the
hormonal changes and mood swings that affect his numbers. Exercise is
a very important part of our control. There is no dust settling on
this child. That gives him a great advantage.
Last but not least... We count our blessings everyday. I think that
most folks who go through a life altering situation such as this do. I
know people have it a lot worse and that we are incredibly lucky.
Samsmom
P.S. We are by no means rich. Definitely blue collar hard working
folks. I am tenacious when it comes to making sure the health ins.
covers what is needed. I have had to set up face to face meetings with
them (not an easy thing to do) to get my point across. In one instance
they said they would give me their decision in two weeks but ended up
chasing me down the hall and telling me they would cover what we
needed.