Pete

Default Learn To Cook

On Sat, 15 Nov 2003 11:50:40 +1100, Alan
> wrote:

>Learn to Cook
>It's interesting to notice, in reading the various threads on diet, that
>posters here seem to fall into one of three categories:
>Those who enjoy cooking; those who cannot cook;
>______________________________________

> and those who can cook,
>but only do it because they have to.

I fall into that category.

>My research after diagnosis led me to two startling revelations for an
>obese T2. I needed to lose a lot of weight and I needed to control my
>blood glucose. Of course, there are other factors, but those two were
>paramount.

>It is a never-ending task, but I believe it was much easier for me to
>achieve reasonable weight and control because I am a person who enjoys
>cooking. It allows me to be the one who controls what goes into the
>recipe by type and quantity, to control the size of portions, and to
>experiment by testing the results.

>I can only imagine the stress it places on a relationship when the
>diabetic is trying to tactfully tell the cook that the new dessert is
>either too many carbs or so full of Splenda it tastes horrible. Or that
>they now need five meals a day, and so on. Illness places enough stress
>on relationships without that.

In my case I am very lucky [not really I picked her for her
'underlying traits' <g>] my wife is a very good cook from
the 'old school'. She never ceases to amaze me the way she
seemingly produces brilliant meals out of nothing!! There is
no way i could ever compete. Her baking is to die for. In
over 30 years together, she has onlt ever served a meal that
I refused to eat but that caused no problem since she
refused as well!!! LOL.

As I learned about foods post diagnosis, she looked upon the
sittuation as her mission to make sure I was fed correctly.
We learned together. She eats virtually the same as I do,
ammount/type/ etc. so there is no problem in catering for
differing needs. Occasionally there are slight differences
but not so's you'd notice.

>There is also a continual search by non-cooks for "safe" pre-prepared
>foods in the supermarket, like the pop-corn thread at the moment, or
>"safe" fast foods and restaurant foods.

True IMO - we were just discussing the subject over dinner
last night.

>Some people are forced to eat out, by work or local social requirement;
>and fast or pre-prepared foods are convenient.

Only because they know no other way to deal with the
problem.

>But I am starting to
>believe that one of the best things a diabetic can do for their health
>is to cook for themselves at home.

In my case I'd die of starvation <VBG>

>Cheers Alan, T2, Oz

Pete

Diagnosed 20/03/03 Type II D&E + Metformin + Gliclazide
+ Asprin 210lbs at Dx to target 174lbs achieved.
Now 171lbs. To mail: aspen3 at freeuk.com