Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Default Elderberry supplier

Hi,

I'm from New Zealand. I'm looking for a place that supplies elderberries. My
local home brew shop no longer stocks these.

Preferably, I'm looking for a NZ supplier but an international supplier of
dried elderberries over the net would suffice.

Also, can anyone reiterate how to get rid of the gunge that elderberries
make. I read it he before but have since forgotten what the trick is.

Cheers
Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Mike,

I believe it was Ray that helped me on this last year. Standard
vegetable oil cuts right through the muck. Just make sure you keep
the oil away from your wine by washing and sanitising thoroughly.

greg

On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:43:33 +1200, "M Lawson" > wrote:

>Hi,
>
>I'm from New Zealand. I'm looking for a place that supplies elderberries. My
>local home brew shop no longer stocks these.
>
>Preferably, I'm looking for a NZ supplier but an international supplier of
>dried elderberries over the net would suffice.
>
>Also, can anyone reiterate how to get rid of the gunge that elderberries
>make. I read it he before but have since forgotten what the trick is.
>
>Cheers
>Mike

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Hoss" > wrote in message
> Mike,
>
> I believe it was Ray that helped me on this last year. Standard
> vegetable oil cuts right through the muck. Just make sure you keep
> the oil away from your wine by washing and sanitising thoroughly.
>
> greg
>

> On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:43:33 +1200, "M Lawson" > wrote:
>
>>Hi,
>>
>>I'm from New Zealand. I'm looking for a place that supplies elderberries.
>>My
>>local home brew shop no longer stocks these.
>>
>>Preferably, I'm looking for a NZ supplier but an international supplier of
>>dried elderberries over the net would suffice.
>>
>>Also, can anyone reiterate how to get rid of the gunge that elderberries
>>make. I read it he before but have since forgotten what the trick is.
>>
>>Cheers
>>Mike

That is correct. You could use olive oil and leave it in the carboy and not
worry about washing it out well. Before corks and glass bottles, wine was
stored in ceramic urns under a layer of olive oil. You could claim you are
making old world wine. If you do, let us know how it comes out. I think I
will wait on someone else to try this one. ;o)

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

"Ray Calvert" > wrote in message
om...

> "Hoss" > wrote in message
> > Mike,
> >
> > I believe it was Ray that helped me on this last year. Standard
> > vegetable oil cuts right through the muck. Just make sure you keep
> > the oil away from your wine by washing and sanitising thoroughly.
> >
> > greg
> >

> > On Wed, 30 Aug 2006 08:43:33 +1200, "M Lawson" > wrote:
> >
> >>Hi,
> >>
> >>I'm from New Zealand. I'm looking for a place that supplies

elderberries.
> >>My
> >>local home brew shop no longer stocks these.
> >>
> >>Preferably, I'm looking for a NZ supplier but an international supplier

of
> >>dried elderberries over the net would suffice.
> >>
> >>Also, can anyone reiterate how to get rid of the gunge that elderberries
> >>make. I read it he before but have since forgotten what the trick is.
> >>
> >>Cheers
> >>Mike
> >>

> That is correct. You could use olive oil and leave it in the carboy and

not
> worry about washing it out well. Before corks and glass bottles, wine was
> stored in ceramic urns under a layer of olive oil. You could claim you

are
> making old world wine. If you do, let us know how it comes out. I think

> will wait on someone else to try this one. ;o)

Will do. Just need to lay my hands on some of dem berries. Help help help,
me want some berries....

Does anyone know of a Big Frying pan supplier ? [email protected] Cooking Equipment 10 10-08-2006 05:07 PM
Looking for a supplier of fresh tea Konrad Tea 7 20-02-2006 06:17 AM
Supplier for Parts Alan Barbecue 2 17-03-2005 11:06 PM
Chocolate supplier in UK Vaughan Harris Chocolate 0 23-08-2004 12:07 PM
Bottle supplier greg boyd Winemaking 1 24-10-2003 07:15 PM