Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking
Jim Jim is offline

Default Oak Chip Question

Can you please tell me how much oak chips to add to my primary
fermenter when making red wine? I am using Arôbois’ oak chips medium
toast and medium size which I purchased from Scott Laboratory.
Thank you in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 15, 11:22*pm, Jim > wrote:
> Can you please tell me how much oak chips to add to my primary
> fermenter when making red wine? I am using Arôbois’ oak chips medium
> toast and medium size which I purchased from Scott Laboratory.
> Thank you in advance.

If you like the taste of oak go with 1 ounce per gallon, if you want
it to be more in background start with half that. Yoiu can always add
more if you underdo it and blend with unoaked if you overdo it.

Joe
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 15, 10:22*pm, Jim > wrote:
> Can you please tell me how much oak chips to add to my primary
> fermenter when making red wine? I am using Arôbois’ oak chips medium
> toast and medium size which I purchased from Scott Laboratory.
> Thank you in advance.

Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

On Apr 15, 10:22*pm, Jim > wrote:
> Can you please tell me how much oak chips to add to my primary
> fermenter when making red wine? I am using Arôbois’ oak chips medium
> toast and medium size which I purchased from Scott Laboratory.
> Thank you in advance.

Jim,

If you want my advice, I woudn't put any oak in the primary. I would
wait until I racked the secondary once before adding. I have found no
noticeable difference using the oak in the primary.
Posted to rec.crafts.winemaking

Hi:

How much oak you add should be tailored to your tastes. Some put a
bunch of oak in and taste till there's enough and then remove the oak
or rack wine off the oak to stop oak infusion.

Others add small increments untill they arrive at the level they want.
I subscribe to the this camp.

I add oak at the primary in a hops bag, usually 0.1oz per gallon.
That oak is carried forward to the secondary. When the wine is rack
off the gross lees from the secondary another 0.1oz per gallon in
addition to the first chips. Then more oak is added in 3 or 4 week
periods at the 0.1oz per gallon to taste. I carry all of the chips
forward untill the final racking for clearing then bottling.

Persoanlly I find adding chips to the primary a good thing and yes
it's noticable. And I like to carry all of the chips till the last
racking. Based on my trials I think (no science here) it gives better
integration and a finer oak flavor than the all in one approach.

Of course YMMV

Steve

On Thu, 16 Apr 2009 03:22:17 GMT, Jim > wrote:

>Can you please tell me how much oak chips to add to my primary
>fermenter when making red wine? I am using Arôbois’ oak chips medium
>toast and medium size which I purchased from Scott Laboratory.
>Thank you in advance.

dumb question about choc. chip cookies -L. General Cooking 20 15-09-2006 06:03 PM
Oak chip question Jim Winemaking 4 30-01-2006 05:35 PM
Anougher wood chip question. Roy Boy Winemaking 9 03-12-2005 10:50 AM
Camphor chip Ed Stuart General Cooking 6 25-08-2004 01:08 PM
chocolate chip pie Fred Baking 3 22-01-2004 10:33 AM