Posted to alt.food.wine

Default TN: Beaujolais, Freisa, GV

Tuesday we had Betsy's niece and nephew doing a sleepover, and we
grilled salmon, squash, and eggplant, served along with some leftover
potato salad and a bottle of the 2005 JP Brun (Terres Dorees) Cote de
Brouilly. Red cherry and strawberry fruit, good acidity, a bit tannic,
seems tight and a little short. But wait....after dinner on Wednesday
I revisit. Wow! Black cherries, cocoa, earth. Much deeper fruit, good
length, you could have handed me a glass and said "Chambolle" and I
would have happily believed you. B/B-on night one, A-/B+ on night 2.

Wednesday I had a volunteer no-show for an evening run to city; no
choice but to go myself. Betsy offered to go with me, but that would
have meant her missing seeing Dave leave for prom. So she fixed dinner
of pork tenderloin, mushrooms and a quinoa/kale mix; for cooking wine
and dinner she used another bottle of the 2004 Geyerhof "Rosensteig"
Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I had a glass on return with my reheated
plate- pleasant if unexciting high-acid GV. Reminds me a bit of
Muscadet, actually. B-, but at $5 a good value. WOTN was of course the
couple glasses of the leftover Beaujolais.

Thursday we had a family dinner. Wednesday's pork was the return of
Betsy to the Sonoma Diet (she doesn't really need it, I'm probably
twice her weight- ok, so I need it). Thursday she went with a grilled
tuna salad, the tuna over white beans, greens, etc. On a warm spring
night outdoors, I I thought of another Beaujolais or maybe Provencal
rose, but instead went light Italian, the 2005 Borgogno Freisa
d'Asti . Red strawberry fruit, light and bouncy, fun and easy wine for
I think $12ish. B

promises of objectivity, accuracy, and certainly not of consistency

Posted to alt.food.wine

DaleW > wrote:

> for cooking wine and dinner she used another bottle of the 2004
> Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I had a glass
> on return with my reheated plate- pleasant if unexciting
> high-acid GV.

Wait for Ilse Maier's (= Geyerhof's) truly exceptional Steinleithn
2006: That's one of the best GVs ever made.

Thus said, 2006 is *THE* vintage to go for Grüner Veltliner: By
long and large the best I have seen in my life. The older growers
say it's the best since 1947, but actually I never ever had one.
But the number of phantastic GVs certainly is much higher in 2006
than in 1947, when not more than one or two dozen estates even
bottled their wine.

M.
Posted to alt.food.wine

oops, meant to post to AFW:
is that true for every region, or particularly Kremstal?
How is '06 for Riesling?

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> DaleW > wrote:
>
>> for cooking wine and dinner she used another bottle of the 2004
>> Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I had a glass
>> on return with my reheated plate- pleasant if unexciting
>> high-acid GV.

> Wait for Ilse Maier's (= Geyerhof's) truly exceptional Steinleithn
> 2006: That's one of the best GVs ever made.
>
> Thus said, 2006 is *THE* vintage to go for Grüner Veltliner: By
> long and large the best I have seen in my life. The older growers
> say it's the best since 1947, but actually I never ever had one.
> But the number of phantastic GVs certainly is much higher in 2006
> than in 1947, when not more than one or two dozen estates even
> bottled their wine.
>
> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

Default Austria's vintage 2006 (was: Beaujolais, Freisa, GV)

Dale, you have the answer, why don't you post it?

M.

"DALE WILLIAMS" > wrote:

> oops, meant to post to AFW:
> is that true for every region, or particularly Kremstal?
> How is '06 for Riesling?
>

> "Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
>> DaleW > wrote:
>>
>>> for cooking wine and dinner she used another bottle of the 2004
>>> Geyerhof "Rosensteig" Grüner Veltliner (Kremstal). I had a glass
>>> on return with my reheated plate- pleasant if unexciting
>>> high-acid GV.

>> Wait for Ilse Maier's (= Geyerhof's) truly exceptional Steinleithn
>> 2006: That's one of the best GVs ever made.
>>
>> Thus said, 2006 is *THE* vintage to go for Grüner Veltliner: By
>> long and large the best I have seen in my life. The older growers
>> say it's the best since 1947, but actually I never ever had one.
>> But the number of phantastic GVs certainly is much higher in 2006
>> than in 1947, when not more than one or two dozen estates even
>> bottled their wine.
>>
>> M.

Posted to alt.food.wine

On Jun 19, 2:09�pm, Michael Pronay > wrote:
> Dale, you have the answer, why don't you post it?
>
> M.
>

> "DALE WILLIAMS" > wrote:
> > oops, meant to post to AFW:
> > is that true for every region, or particularly Kremstal?
> > How is '06 for Riesling?

> >> Wait for Ilse Maier's (= Geyerhof's) truly exceptional Steinleithn
> >> 2006: That's one of the best GVs ever made.

> >> Thus said, 2006 is *THE* vintage to go for Grüner Veltliner: By
> >> long and large the best I have seen in my life. The older growers
> >> say it's the best since 1947, but actually I never ever had one.
> >> But the number of phantastic GVs certainly is much higher in 2006
> >> than in 1947, when not more than one or two dozen estates even
> >> bottled their wine.

> >> M.- Hide quoted text -

I accidently had sent this as a reply rather than a "reply group" ,
Michael Pronay sent me this response (I just put the Nigl Privat '06
GV in my winesearcher "notify" list!). Thanks Michael!

is that true for every region,

Yes.

> or particularly Kremstal?

No. I even had phantastic GVs from Gols and Apetlon in
Burgenland!

> How is '06 for Riesling?

Very, very fine, although not as exceptional as for GV.
For GV it's the singulary effect of the combination of
absolute perfect weather conditions and an exceptional
concentration of flavor due to a reduced yield (minus
30 to 40 percent) due to flowering problems ("coulure").

TN: Bdx, Beaujolais, and MSR DaleW Wine 5 18-01-2011 04:03 PM
TN: Red Muscadet, Beaujolais DaleW Wine 0 17-10-2007 07:08 PM
TN Freisa and Rueda DaleW Wine 1 13-08-2007 05:20 PM
Beaujolais-like Red from a kit? geo Winemaking 4 26-06-2005 12:46 PM
beaujolais BRAMSCAPE Wine 62 27-08-2004 07:25 AM