BRAMSCAPE

Default beaujolais

we have some 12 bottles left from 2002,is it still ok to serve ?,tia
jeffc

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message

> If it is beaujolais nouveau, well, was it ever OK? ;-)

Oh brother. Watch out for the wine police.

Mike Tommasi

On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:48:03 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .

>> If it is beaujolais nouveau, well, was it ever OK? ;-)

>Oh brother. Watch out for the wine police.

Smilie = humour

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Tom S

"BRAMSCAPE" > wrote in message
> we have some 12 bottles left from 2002,is it still ok to serve ?

The only way to tell is to pull the cork and taste it!

If it's a Beaujolais Nouveau, it may be a bit tired but it won't _hurt_ you
to try it. If you don't care too much for it, make sangria from it or use
it in a marinade.

If it's a grand cru Beaujolais, it might still have years left to age, but
be nice drinking now. Those are very user-friendly.

Tom S

Mathew Kagis

> And a waiter may just fear the arrival of the wine police. ;-)

I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a glass of
the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant the WHITE Cabernet"..
;-)

Mathew

Michael Pronay

"Mathew Kagis" > wrote:

> I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a
> glass of the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant
> the WHITE Cabernet".

Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
ordered red chablis!".

But that was the only experiment of this kind in two years.

M.

Mathew Kagis

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Mathew Kagis" > wrote:
>
> > I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a
> > glass of the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant
> > the WHITE Cabernet".

> Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
> restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
> When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
> ordered red chablis!".
>
> But that was the only experiment of this kind in two years.
>
> M.

I have'nt had the 'white cab' question in a few years... Lat time was @
Sun Peaks ski resort... I still remember the 'Deer in the headlights' look
the customer gave me when I said...'Oh, you mean Chardonnay.."

Mathew

Mathew Kagis

"Michael Pronay" > wrote in message
> "Mathew Kagis" > wrote:
>
> > I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a
> > glass of the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant
> > the WHITE Cabernet".

> Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
> restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
> When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
> ordered red chablis!".
>
> But that was the only experiment of this kind in two years.
>
> M.

I have'nt had the 'white cab' question in a few years... Lat time was @
Sun Peaks ski resort... I still remember the 'Deer in the headlights' look
the customer gave me when I said...'Oh, you mean Chardonnay.."

Mathew

Ed Rasimus

On 23 Aug 2004 17:24:05 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Mathew Kagis" > wrote:
>
>> I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a
>> glass of the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant
>> the WHITE Cabernet".

>Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
>restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
>When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
>ordered red chablis!".
>
>But that was the only experiment of this kind in two years.
>
>M.

Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
spending a reasonable amount of money locally.

I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

You could have simply advised them that the box of red chablis had
gone empty.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Ed Rasimus

On 23 Aug 2004 17:24:05 GMT, Michael Pronay > wrote:

>"Mathew Kagis" > wrote:
>
>> I ONLY fear the wine police when, after requesting & recieving a
>> glass of the house Cabernet....The customer says "Oh, I meant
>> the WHITE Cabernet".

>Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
>restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
>When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
>ordered red chablis!".
>
>But that was the only experiment of this kind in two years.
>
>M.

Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
spending a reasonable amount of money locally.

I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

You could have simply advised them that the box of red chablis had
gone empty.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
jcoulter

Ed Rasimus > wrote in
news

> Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
> visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
> spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
>
> I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and ketsup
on our dogs?

Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:56:43 -0600, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

>I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
>commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
>or ketchup on a hot dog.

Er, that's an American faux pas? I always do that...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:56:43 -0600, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

>I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
>commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
>or ketchup on a hot dog.

Er, that's an American faux pas? I always do that...

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:01:00 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:

>Cannucks too!

Well, I am one. QED.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Chuck Reid

Cannucks too!
--
Regards
Chuck

To reply, delete NOSPAM from return address

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 11:56:43 -0600, Ed Rasimus
> > wrote:
>

> >I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> >commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> >or ketchup on a hot dog.

> Er, that's an American faux pas? I always do that...
>
> Mike
>
> Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
> email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:35:21 -0500, jcoulter
> wrote:

>Ed Rasimus > wrote in
>news >
>

>> Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
>> visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
>> spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
>>
>> I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
>> commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
>> or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

>UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and ketsup
>on our dogs?

Ahhhhh, my sensibilities have been fractured! Say it isn't so!
Sacrilege, sacre bleu, and is nothing sacred?

First some guy makes big bucks in California for putting things like
artichokes and pineapple on pizzas and now this!

The republic is in jeopardy.

So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?
It's possible that a lukewarm crude beau julius might work, but that
would depend upon the follow-on condiments such as onions, relish,
jalapenos and definitely no 'kraut.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org

Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:52:29 +0200, Mike Tommasi >
wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:01:00 -0400, "Chuck Reid"
> wrote:
>
>>Cannucks too!

>Well, I am one. QED.
>
>Mike
>
>Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
>email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail

That explains so much!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Vincent

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

> So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?

All kidding aside, a good Chianti works well. Seems silly, but try it. I
prefer vine tomatoes to ketchup, but ketchup will do. Just be sure to add
Celery Salt to your list of condiments.

Vincent

"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message

> So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?

All kidding aside, a good Chianti works well. Seems silly, but try it. I
prefer vine tomatoes to ketchup, but ketchup will do. Just be sure to add
Celery Salt to your list of condiments.

Ed Rasimus

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:59:31 GMT, "Vincent" >
wrote:

>"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
>
>> So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?

>All kidding aside, a good Chianti works well. Seems silly, but try it. I
>prefer vine tomatoes to ketchup, but ketchup will do. Just be sure to add
>Celery Salt to your list of condiments.

Ahhh, I'm not required to commit seppuku in total disappointment at
the collection of Philistines which have surrounded me masquerading as
wine experts in this newgroups. Like Diogenes seeking an honest man,
I've discovered an individual with taste.

Of course, fresh diced tomatoes on a hot dog. Absolutely. Properly
done, the dog is heated in hot water, preferably on a tub mounted on a
wheeled, street push-cart and fueled with a small propane tank. The
delectable sausage is placed in a steamed soft, mushy commercial bun
by the proprieter who is chewing on a burned out cigar stub and
wearing a plaid mackinaw and a truck drivers union cap sporting a
three day old stubble and a subtle aroma of late vintage muscatel or
possibly Thunderbird.

Next, a spoonful of yellow mustard (not the brown stuff and certainly
nothing with seeds in it), a dollop of sweet pickle relish (often
referred to as picillili), then a hefty spoonful of diced white onion,
diced fresh vine ripened tomatoes, one or possibly two pepperoncini
and then a healthy sprinkle of black pepper and finally celery salt.
Top with a full length wedge of kosher dill pickle. Wrap the waxed
paper used to hold for assembly around the completed masterpiece.

Fries are optional, but must be made with real potatoes, sliced then
fried, not that extruded batter stuff used to create modern fast-food
fries.

Works best with a cold, non-micro, non-light mass production beer, but
can be done with an icy cold cola. Candlelight not required, but a
reasonably good baseball game on a summer afternoon is a good
accompaniment. (Which probably accounts for the strange tastes of
those Canadians...with all due respect to Montreal which just spanked
my Rockies for another series this week.)

But, no ketchup. Never!

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***www.thunderchief.org
Larry

On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 16:15:02 -0600, Ed Rasimus
> wrote:

>On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 21:59:31 GMT, "Vincent" >
>wrote:
>
>>"Ed Rasimus" wrote in message
>>
>>> So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?

>>All kidding aside, a good Chianti works well. Seems silly, but try it. I
>>prefer vine tomatoes to ketchup, but ketchup will do. Just be sure to add
>>Celery Salt to your list of condiments.

>Ahhh, I'm not required to commit seppuku in total disappointment at
>the collection of Philistines which have surrounded me masquerading as
>wine experts in this newgroups. Like Diogenes seeking an honest man,
>I've discovered an individual with taste.
>
>Of course, fresh diced tomatoes on a hot dog. Absolutely. Properly
>done, the dog is heated in hot water, preferably on a tub mounted on a
>wheeled, street push-cart and fueled with a small propane tank. The
>delectable sausage is placed in a steamed soft, mushy commercial bun
>by the proprieter who is chewing on a burned out cigar stub and
>wearing a plaid mackinaw and a truck drivers union cap sporting a
>three day old stubble and a subtle aroma of late vintage muscatel or
>possibly Thunderbird.
>
>Next, a spoonful of yellow mustard (not the brown stuff and certainly
>nothing with seeds in it), a dollop of sweet pickle relish (often
>referred to as picillili), then a hefty spoonful of diced white onion,
>diced fresh vine ripened tomatoes, one or possibly two pepperoncini
>and then a healthy sprinkle of black pepper and finally celery salt.
>Top with a full length wedge of kosher dill pickle. Wrap the waxed
>paper used to hold for assembly around the completed masterpiece.

I can't stand it!!!!!!!!! I'm heading out to the subway station now.
I'm sure I can find a street meat wagon somewhere. ;-}

All the best,

Larry
Southern Ontario

Chuck Reid

It is reputed that Baby Duck does it really well herebouts.... For those
with no experience of this particular beverage it's "Purple Jesus" that
conforms to food safety laws!
--

"Ed Rasimus" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 23 Aug 2004 13:35:21 -0500, jcoulter
> > wrote:
>
> >Ed Rasimus > wrote in
> >news > >
> >

> >> Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
> >> visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
> >> spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
> >>
> >> I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> >> commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> >> or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

> >UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and

ketsup
> >on our dogs?
> >>

> Ahhhhh, my sensibilities have been fractured! Say it isn't so!
> Sacrilege, sacre bleu, and is nothing sacred?
>
> First some guy makes big bucks in California for putting things like
> artichokes and pineapple on pizzas and now this!
>
> The republic is in jeopardy.
>
> So, Mr. Smarty-pants, what wine goes with ketchup slathered hot dogs?
> It's possible that a lukewarm crude beau julius might work, but that
> would depend upon the follow-on condiments such as onions, relish,
> jalapenos and definitely no 'kraut.
>

> Ed Rasimus
> Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
> "When Thunder Rolled"
> "Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
> Both from Smithsonian Books
> ***www.thunderchief.org

jeffc

"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:48:03 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:
>

> >"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >>
> >> If it is beaujolais nouveau, well, was it ever OK? ;-)

> >Oh brother. Watch out for the wine police.

> Smilie = humour

I just thought it might be a joke at the OP's expense.

Tom S

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> Ed Rasimus > wrote in
> news >
>

> > Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
> > visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
> > spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
> >
> > I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> > commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> > or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

> UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and ketsup
> on our dogs?

Mustard on hamburgers is OK (with pickles & onions, of course), but ketchup
on hot dogs is the mark of a Communist. The stuff's _RED_, for God's sake!

Condiments is(are?) a slippery slope...

S moT

Tom S

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> Ed Rasimus > wrote in
> news >
>

> > Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
> > visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
> > spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
> >
> > I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> > commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> > or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

> UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and ketsup
> on our dogs?

Mustard on hamburgers is OK (with pickles & onions, of course), but ketchup
on hot dogs is the mark of a Communist. The stuff's _RED_, for God's sake!

Condiments is(are?) a slippery slope...

S moT

Tom S

"jcoulter" > wrote in message
> Ed Rasimus > wrote in
> news >
>

> > Michael, please stop picking on Americans. They were, by your account,
> > visiting one of "Vienna's top restaurants" so they were obviously
> > spending a reasonable amount of money locally.
> >
> > I promise not to make fun of any Austrians that I encounter who might
> > commit a parallel American faux pas of putting mustard on a hamburger
> > or ketchup on a hot dog. And, we won't even address mayo on the fries.

> UHHH Ed,m how bout us 'Mercans who do put mustard on hamburgers and ketsup
> on our dogs?

Mustard on hamburgers is OK (with pickles & onions, of course), but ketchup
on hot dogs is the mark of a Communist. The stuff's _RED_, for God's sake!

Condiments is(are?) a slippery slope...

S moT

Michael Pronay

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

>>Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
>>restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
>>When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
>>ordered red chablis!".

> Michael, please stop picking on Americans.

It has nothing at all to do with Americans, but all with the
country, since to my knowledge it's the only in the world to
produce an oxymoron like red chablis.

> You could have simply advised them that the box of red chablis
> had gone empty.

Nope. There cannot legally exist something like red chablis in
Europe.

M.
Michael Pronay

Ed Rasimus > wrote:

>>Back in the times when I was sommelier in one of Vienna's top
>>restaurants (1984/85) I had American clients ordering chablis.
>>When I arrived with the bottle they refused angrily: "But we
>>ordered red chablis!".

> Michael, please stop picking on Americans.

It has nothing at all to do with Americans, but all with the
country, since to my knowledge it's the only in the world to
produce an oxymoron like red chablis.

> You could have simply advised them that the box of red chablis
> had gone empty.

Nope. There cannot legally exist something like red chablis in
Europe.

M.
Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:56:44 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:48:03 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:
>>

>> >"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Oh brother. Watch out for the wine police.

>> Smilie = humour

>I just thought it might be a joke at the OP's expense.

I'm not like that...

Most BN is barely fit to be called wine, but occasionally you will
find a pleasant one, light and unpretentious.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
Mike Tommasi

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 00:56:44 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:

>"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
.. .
>> On Sun, 22 Aug 2004 20:48:03 GMT, "jeffc" > wrote:
>>

>> >"Mike Tommasi" > wrote in message
>> .. .

>> >Oh brother. Watch out for the wine police.

>> Smilie = humour

>I just thought it might be a joke at the OP's expense.

I'm not like that...

Most BN is barely fit to be called wine, but occasionally you will
find a pleasant one, light and unpretentious.

Mike

Mike Tommasi, Six Fours, France
email link http://www.tommasi.org/mymail
RV WRLee

<big snip>
>Next, a spoonful of yellow mustard (not the brown stuff and certainly
>nothing with seeds in it), a dollop of sweet pickle relish (often
>referred to as picillili), then a hefty spoonful of diced white onion,
>diced fresh vine ripened tomatoes, one or possibly two pepperoncini
>and then a healthy sprinkle of black pepper and finally celery salt.
>Top with a full length wedge of kosher dill pickle. Wrap the waxed
>paper used to hold for assembly around the completed masterpiece.

(snip)

Ed,
You just described the classic Chicago style hotdog but no self respecting
hot dog afficianado would discount the classic New York "kraut" dog or the ever
popular Cincinnati chili dog.

Bi!!

Vincent

"RV WRLee" wrote in message

> Ed,
> You just described the classic Chicago style hotdog but no self

respecting
> hot dog afficianado would discount the classic New York "kraut" dog or the

ever
> popular Cincinnati chili dog.
>
> Bi!!

The only place for kraut is between two pieces of rye bread, with corned
beef and swiss cheese (mustard, optional), pickle a must. As for chili, in
its own bowl with beans, cheese, and raw onions (macaroni, optional), and an
ice cold Miller Lite.

V (from Chicago)

Ed Rasimus

On 24 Aug 2004 14:57:18 GMT, (RV WRLee) wrote:

><big snip>
>>Next, a spoonful of yellow mustard (not the brown stuff and certainly
>>nothing with seeds in it), a dollop of sweet pickle relish (often
>>referred to as picillili), then a hefty spoonful of diced white onion,
>>diced fresh vine ripened tomatoes, one or possibly two pepperoncini
>>and then a healthy sprinkle of black pepper and finally celery salt.
>>Top with a full length wedge of kosher dill pickle. Wrap the waxed
>>paper used to hold for assembly around the completed masterpiece.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Ed,
> You just described the classic Chicago style hotdog but no self respecting
>hot dog afficianado would discount the classic New York "kraut" dog or the ever
>popular Cincinnati chili dog.
>
>Bi!!

Of course. Being born, raised and corrupted in the Second City leads
to those deeply held convictions even though I left upon graduation
from college and have no intention of ever returning.

To pick a nit, we were discussing hot dogs, and the NY desecration
with 'kraut is done to a "coney". Haven't spent much time in Cincy,
but since the ball team is da Reds, maybe they call that perversion a
"red hot"?

Possibly the worst things done to these American classics which we've
been discussing (sincere apologies in advance to my European friends
in the group--and also my European toleraters), but having a
frankfurter in Frankfurt or a hamburger in Hamburg is a thing to
studiously avoid. Stick with the schnitzel, wurst and pils.

I recall several years ago on a fishing/camping trip with a group
where I supplied a large pot of my internationally recognized,
incredibly delicious chili that one of the immature, unsophisticated
teen-age sons of a friend attempted to purloin a ladle-full to
embelish his frankfurter sandwich. He chastized him severely and
denied him further nourishment for the remainder of the weekend.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***
www.thunderchief.org
Ed Rasimus

On 24 Aug 2004 14:57:18 GMT, (RV WRLee) wrote:

><big snip>
>>Next, a spoonful of yellow mustard (not the brown stuff and certainly
>>nothing with seeds in it), a dollop of sweet pickle relish (often
>>referred to as picillili), then a hefty spoonful of diced white onion,
>>diced fresh vine ripened tomatoes, one or possibly two pepperoncini
>>and then a healthy sprinkle of black pepper and finally celery salt.
>>Top with a full length wedge of kosher dill pickle. Wrap the waxed
>>paper used to hold for assembly around the completed masterpiece.
>>

>(snip)
>
>Ed,
> You just described the classic Chicago style hotdog but no self respecting
>hot dog afficianado would discount the classic New York "kraut" dog or the ever
>popular Cincinnati chili dog.
>
>Bi!!

Of course. Being born, raised and corrupted in the Second City leads
to those deeply held convictions even though I left upon graduation
from college and have no intention of ever returning.

To pick a nit, we were discussing hot dogs, and the NY desecration
with 'kraut is done to a "coney". Haven't spent much time in Cincy,
but since the ball team is da Reds, maybe they call that perversion a
"red hot"?

Possibly the worst things done to these American classics which we've
been discussing (sincere apologies in advance to my European friends
in the group--and also my European toleraters), but having a
frankfurter in Frankfurt or a hamburger in Hamburg is a thing to
studiously avoid. Stick with the schnitzel, wurst and pils.

I recall several years ago on a fishing/camping trip with a group
where I supplied a large pot of my internationally recognized,
incredibly delicious chili that one of the immature, unsophisticated
teen-age sons of a friend attempted to purloin a ladle-full to
embelish his frankfurter sandwich. He chastized him severely and
denied him further nourishment for the remainder of the weekend.

Ed Rasimus
Fighter Pilot (USAF-Ret)
"When Thunder Rolled"
"Phantom Flights, Bangkok Nights"
Both from Smithsonian Books
***
www.thunderchief.org
enoavidh

Beware the hot dog police!

d;D
Who likes her kraut with kielbasa. And a nice Alsatian white.
Ed Rasimus

On Tue, 24 Aug 2004 16:03:39 +0000 (UTC), enoavidh
> wrote:

>Beware the hot dog police!
>

>d;D
>Who likes her kraut with kielbasa. And a nice Alsatian white.

Now you're talkin'!!!

But, in just a second here you're going to be arrested by the Alsace
politzei. You're cleared to drink a nice white from Alsace but I think
they'll remind you that an Alsatian is a large dog.

Ahhh, the difficulty in steering clear of all these cultural
traps.....

TN: Crianza, Beaujolais DaleW Wine 4 18-02-2011 03:50 AM
TN: Bdx, Beaujolais, and MSR DaleW Wine 5 18-01-2011 05:03 PM
TN: Pink Beaujolais DaleW Wine 9 15-05-2009 04:25 PM
Beaujolais Nouveau Brian Gordon Wine 10 28-11-2006 08:17 PM
Beaujolais-like Red from a kit? geo Winemaking 4 26-06-2005 12:46 PM