Recipes (moderated) (rec.food.recipes) A moderated forum. The purpose of rec.food.recipes is for posting recipes and recipe requests only. It is for the *sharing* of recipes among the readers.

A1 WBarfieldsr

Default Jerky (5) Collection

Seven Step Jerky
Amanda's Jerky
Jerky
Great Jerky

> From: "Roxy" >
> can someone help me find some recipes for dehydrated food....im looking
> for anything ....i like to have a good recipe for jerkey

Jerky

Tips & Instructions:

Jerky needs to be dried at a temperature between 140 and 150 degrees for
at
least four hours to keep it from spoiling.
Uniform thickness & size are very important if you want that perfect batch
of jerky. The slices should be no larger than 5 inches long by 2 inches
wide and 1/4' thick. Cut thin slices against the grain. This is really
important for lean cuts of meat. Otherwise some will be like leather,
others like paper and some ok.
Take the time to get rid of all tendons & gristle. They're impossible to
chew all dried up. Trim all visible fat, it can prevent the jerky from
drying properly and can go rancid. Be careful with pepper. It dehydrates,
too YEOW.
Marinades make all the difference. This approach works best for me:
Marinate the meat up to 8 hrs in the refrigerator, poking it well with a
fork, then partially freeze it before you slice it thinly against the
grain. You don't necessarily have to marinate the meat before drying it
will do that as it dries. The leanest cuts benefit most from the above
procedure.
Always turn and rearrange the slices in the marinade several times.
If you over dry your jerky add 2 slices of bread to it in a plastic bag .
The moister from the bread goes into the jerky. It makes it soft again

Seven Step Jerky

Basic ingredients a garlic powder, onion powder, onion powder, black
pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, Accent. Also knife
and pan or bowl.

3 pounds of venison
1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup Worcestershire
2 tsp. Accent
2 tsp. seasoned salt
2/3 tsp. garlic powder
2 tsp. onion powder
2/3 tsp. black pepper

Basic ingredients a garlic powder, onion powder, onion powder, black
pepper, soy sauce, Worcestershire sauce, seasoned salt, Accent. Also knife
and pan or bowl.
Slice three pounds of venison into strips about 3/8 inch thick to ensure
total saturation of the meat while it's marinating. In container, combine
1/2 cup soy sauce, 1/2 cup Worcestershire, 2 tsp. Accent, 2 tsp. seasoned
salt, 2/3 tsp. garlic powder, 2 tsp. onion powder, and 2/3 tsp. black
pepper.

Stir this mixture well with a spoon to dissolve all of the soluble
ingredients. Now the marinade is ready to be used.
Place the strips of meat in the marinade be sure they're completely
submerged. Marinate overnight, turning if necessary.
Lay marinated meat strips on oven rack. Cook for 6 to 8 (6 is better) at
150 degrees. They get crisper the longer they bake.
Store finished jerky in zip-lock bags or other airtight containers to seal
in freshness. Jerky will keep up to two years.

Amanda's Jerky

We cut the meat into thin strips, the thinner the strips the crunchier the
jerky comes out, maybe 1/4 " thick will make chewy jerky. By the way, cut
all the fat off the meat as you're stripping.

Lay out the strips on a cookie sheet lined with foil, turned up at the
edges so juice won't get over everything. Lay out in rows and a single
layer. Sprinkle liberally with black coarse ground pepper and seasoned
salt, or spices that you like the taste of.

Set the oven to WARM, and leave in the oven overnight, or 8-10 hrs. This
causes very slow drying. Store in a plastic container, jar, or can after
well cooled. Too much moisture left in the meat will cause mold, and
putting it away while warm will cause sweating inside the container.

Jerky

1/2 cup dark soy sauce
2 Tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp monosodium glutamate (optional)
1/2 tsp onion powder
1/2 tsp garlic powder
1/4 tsp powdered ginger
1/4 tsp Chinese Five-Spice Powder
3 lbs lean beef brisket, eye-of-round or flank steak, trimmed completely
of
fat and cut across grain into slices 1/8 inch thick

Blend all ingredients except meat in small bowl. Dip each piece of meat
into marinade, coating well. Place in shallow dish. Pour remaining
marinade
over top, cover and refrigerate overnight.
Oven method: Preheat oven to lowest setting (preferably 110 F).
Place several layers of paper towels on baking sheets.
Arrange meat in single layer on prepared sheets and cover with additional
toweling.
Flatten meat with rolling pin. Discard towels and set meat directly on
oven
racks. Let dry 8 to 12 hours (depending on temperature of oven).
Store jerky in plastic bags or in tightly covered containers in cool, dry
area.

Jerky

1 can of beer
1 bottle of liquid smoke
onion powder
garlic powder
pepper large pinch
salt large pinch
1 tablespoon of brown sugar
1 tablespoon of lemon pepper

Mix ingredients and bring to boil, let cool and soak meat overnight.
Dry meat

Great Jerky

3/4 tsp. salt
1/4 tsp cracked pepper
1 Tbsp brown sugar
1 garlic clove-crushed
2 Tbsp. soy sauce
1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 lb. lean meat
3/16 -1/4 in thick

Mix ingredients. Marinate meat overnight, Dry meat
--
William Barfieldsr

--
Rec.food.recipes is moderated by Patricia Hill at .
Archives:

And one more jerky! La Mirada General Cooking 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
And one more jerky! La Mirada Barbecue 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
Turkey jerky? Michael L Kankiewicz General Cooking 2 04-02-2006 11:35 AM
Jerky? claudel Preserving 16 26-03-2005 01:10 AM
Jerky? claudel Preserving 0 25-03-2005 05:01 PM