Old 25-03-2005, 05:01 PM
claudel

Default Jerky?

Hi

I'm thinking about making jerky

Any recommendations for dehydrators, recipes, websites, etc...

I'm leaning towards the Excalibur 4 Tray model 2400 for the
appliance by I'm not yet committed

TIA

Claude

Old 25-03-2005, 07:16 PM
The Joneses

claudel wrote:

Hi I'm thinking about making jerky
Any recommendations for dehydrators, recipes, websites, etc...
I'm leaning towards the Excalibur 4 Tray model 2400 for the
appliance by I'm not yet committed
TIA Claude

I love my excalibur 9 tray. Be aware that they are not "expandable."
But mine will dry about 10# of round steak sliced for jerky. A google
will give you a gazillion recipes.
My fav is my curry, can't find recipe right now, but have posted both
to this group & rec.food.cooking.
Also old note see below from another poster
Edrena

Beef jerky
Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:09:28 -0400
From: Don Wiss
Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, asked:
Any good recipes for beef jerky??

Here are some that I collected:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/jerky.txt
Don donwiss at panix.com.

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:09:28 -0400
From: Don Wiss
Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving

Date: Tue, 14 Aug 2001 21:09:28 -0400
From: Don Wiss
Newsgroups: rec.food.preserving
On Wed, 15 Aug 2001, asked:
Any good recipes for beef jerky??

Here are some that I collected:
http://www.panix.com/~donwiss/jerky.txt
Don donwiss at panix.com.

Thanks much.

There's a Mexican grocery close to me that sells
the best marinated thin sliced carne asada that
screams out to be made into jerky. I'm figuring
if I can do 5 Lbs at a time I'll be fine.

I'm looking to try a few other recipes as well.

Claude

Old 25-03-2005, 11:41 PM
claudel

The Joneses wrote:
"Gary S." wrote:

On Fri, 25 Mar 2005 21:12:40 GMT, (claudel)
wrote:

There's a Mexican grocery close to me that sells
the best marinated thin sliced carne asada that
screams out to be made into jerky. I'm figuring
if I can do 5 Lbs at a time I'll be fine.
I'm looking to try a few other recipes as well.

A couple of thoughts on making jerky:
The lower the fat content, the better it will last at room temp.
Poultry and pork need to be heated to cooking temperature during the
process to get any potential salmonella or trichinosis. Some processes
for beef jerky use raw beef, and no higher temps.
Having the meat cut to the same thickness will be simpler within each
batch, as well as batch-to-batch.
Any flavoring will concentrate a lot, so be moderate until you have
tried it a few times.
In a multi-tray dehydrator without a fan, make certain you swap around
the trays during the process.
Don't overdry or it will require power tools to eat the jerky.
Happy trails,
Gary (net.yogi.bear)

I also do a chipotle recipe that's fab. I'd rather use lots of raw minced
garlic than powder. Wet marinades take twice as long to dry than dry
rubs. I've found the best way to keep jerky is in clean paper lunch bags,
staped up top. Or froze. But when taken out, condensation can develope in
the tightly sealed container and make the jerky mold.
Edrena

Mmmmmm. Chipotle.

I have a vacuum sealer that I was going to use, but I'm
thinking that none will be around long enough for that.

Claude
Old 25-03-2005, 11:41 PM
claudel

wrote:

[...]

And one more jerky! La Mirada General Cooking 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
And one more jerky! La Mirada Barbecue 0 09-06-2015 07:02 PM
Making jerky Bob Barbecue 23 01-06-2007 04:07 AM
Jerky? claudel Preserving 0 25-03-2005 05:01 PM