Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Golden Harvest jars

Noted today that Walmart is advertising they have GH jars and lids,
prices are a good bit higher than the same jars at Big Lots.

Have read some reviews on line claiming Golden Harvest jars and lids are
not good to use. Folks, they are the economy line made by Altrista, aka
Ball, aka Jardin. Same folks who make Ball, Kerr, and Bernadin.

Have never had a Golden Harvest jar fail on me and very few failures of
their lids. Just a comment.

George
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 08/20/2011 11:26 PM, George Shirley wrote:

> Have never had a Golden Harvest jar fail on me and very few failures of
> their lids. Just a comment.

I have a seriously mismatched collection of various brands of jars/lids
and I don't find any to be more or less failure prone than others. No
patterns at all.

--
frater mus
http://www.mousetrap.net/mouse/
Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:

> Noted today that Walmart is advertising they have GH jars and lids,
> prices are a good bit higher than the same jars at Big Lots.
>
> Have read some reviews on line claiming Golden Harvest jars and lids are
> not good to use. Folks, they are the economy line made by Altrista, aka
> Ball, aka Jardin. Same folks who make Ball, Kerr, and Bernadin.
>
> Have never had a Golden Harvest jar fail on me and very few failures of
> their lids. Just a comment.

one bad jar from Ball (it had a long bubble
in the glass along the seam and i sure didn't
want to risk it breaking sometime under
pressure) and as of yet no lid problems
from anyone.

so that's one out of about 72 jars purchased
in the past four years. the rest we've been
lucky to have people give us.

i've yet to buy any other brand as that is
what's been available locally when we've run
short.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
in Ohio.....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Carol S" > wrote in message
> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
> in Ohio.....Carol

Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/21/2011 11:14 PM, Carol S wrote:
> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
> in Ohio.....Carol

Anytime Carol, check with the local Walmart to see if they stock them,
the one here in our town does. You might be able to go online and find
some nearby.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2011 6:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "Carol S" > wrote in message
>> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
>> in Ohio.....Carol

> Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !

It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is still
worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly 2/6d
equals 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/22/2011 6:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Carol S" > wrote in message
>>> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
>>> in Ohio.....Carol

>> Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !
>>

> It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is still
> worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly 2/6d equals
> 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.

100% correct! I knew you would recognise it though)

Remember half a crown? That was a coin worth 2/6d. These days it is 25p

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

George Shirley wrote:
> On 8/22/2011 6:18 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "Carol S" > wrote in message
>>> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
>>> in Ohio.....Carol

>> Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !

> It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is still
> worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly 2/6d
> equals 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.

haha, i thought she was calling for Carol to
roll two six-sided dice.

songbird
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2011 8:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:

> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
> .com...

>>> Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !
>>>

>> It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is
>> still worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly
>> 2/6d equals 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.

> 100% correct! I knew you would recognise it though)
>
> Remember half a crown? That was a coin worth 2/6d. These days it is 25p

When I was flying in and out of Great Britain many years ago I would buy
half pennies, remember the great big ones? Exactly the same size and
weight of a US silver dollar, fit slot machines perfectly. <G>

Inflation strikes everywhere, the US dollar is worth about 33 cents
compared to the 1960 dollar.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"George Shirley" > wrote in message
.com...
> On 8/22/2011 8:26 AM, Ophelia wrote:
>>
>> "George Shirley" > wrote in message
>> .com...

>>> It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is
>>> still worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly
>>> 2/6d equals 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.

>> 100% correct! I knew you would recognise it though)
>>
>> Remember half a crown? That was a coin worth 2/6d. These days it is 25p
>>

> When I was flying in and out of Great Britain many years ago I would buy
> half pennies, remember the great big ones? Exactly the same size and
> weight of a US silver dollar, fit slot machines perfectly. <G>

lol I do indeed lol I probably still have some somewhere

> Inflation strikes everywhere, the US dollar is worth about 33 cents
> compared to the 1960 dollar.

Well ours is no better

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"songbird" > wrote in message
> George Shirley wrote:

>>> Pay here please entrance fee 2/6d !

>> It's Ohio, USA O, we don't understand Brit coinage, your money is still
>> worth something, ours isn't. Let's see if I remember correctly 2/6d
>> equals 2 shillings, 6 pence. Grade me.

> haha, i thought she was calling for Carol to
> roll two six-sided dice.

Don't you worry, George will educate you

--
http://www.shop.helpforheros.org.uk
Posted to rec.food.preserving

I stopped at Big Lots today looking for 12 oz.jars but they only had 8
oz.and pints for $7.25......am surprised they didn't have
quarts.....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

On 8/22/2011 8:47 PM, Carol S wrote:
> I stopped at Big Lots today looking for 12 oz.jars but they only had 8
> oz.and pints for $7.25......am surprised they didn't have
> quarts.....Carol

They may still have had quarts Carol. On my last visit there were
several cases of quarts on another aisle, sort of surprised me that they
had moved them and put them on the bottom shelf. I guess when the
display gets low they move them elsewhere and move in a pallet of
whatever came in last.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

On Aug 22, 12:14*am, (Carol S) wrote:
> I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
> in Ohio.....Carol

Try family dollar, Dollar General, any of the discount stores.
Call ahead of course, to see if they have them, but I've seen them at
all of the above.

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Thanks George and Kitty.....will call all the local dollar stores
tomorrow....they are so far apart I hate to use up gasoline and find out
they don't have any.....Carol

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article
Kitty > wrote:

> On Aug 22, 12:14*am, (Carol S) wrote:
> > I hope it's okay to pop in.....I haven't seen Golden Harvest jars here
> > in Ohio.....Carol

> Try family dollar, Dollar General, any of the discount stores.
> Call ahead of course, to see if they have them, but I've seen them at
> all of the above.

None of the buck stores around here carry canning jars. :-( We have
Family Dollar stores here.
--
Barb,
http://web.me.com/barbschaller July 27, 2011. Read it and weep.

HARVEST Brooklyn1 General Cooking 3 21-09-2012 03:15 AM
Ball (not Kerr or Golden Harvest or Bernardin) Jars - coupons Melba's Jammin' Preserving 1 03-07-2009 04:52 PM
Opinion on Golden Harvest Seals Luv2golf Preserving 6 23-08-2006 08:40 PM
Golden Harvest Jars Marilyn© Preserving 1 17-10-2003 06:02 AM