Posted to rec.food.preserving

Default Tomato Soup?

Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP

2 cups peeled tomatoes in rough chop
1/4 onion diced
1 tsp sugar
1 bay leaf
3 pepper berries

3 tbsp butter
4 tbsp flour
1 tsp salt
1/8th tsp pepper
2 cups milk

Simmer 1st 5 ingredients 5 mins. Melt butter, add flour salt and pepper.
Cook briefly then add milk gradually, stirring until it thickens. Add hot
tomatoes a little at a time, stirring constantly.

Delicious but I've only canned the "tomato" part of the recipe; reckon I
can do the rest later. Oh, and the "little at a time" bit is important or it
will curdle.

Lamont

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article <_Suom.43889$PH1.12253@edtnps82>,
"lamont cranston" > wrote:

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> > Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
> >
> > --
> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> > http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
> > it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
> > newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

> CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP
>
> 2 cups peeled tomatoes in rough chop
> 1/4 onion diced
> 1 tsp sugar
> 1 bay leaf
> 3 pepper berries
>
> 3 tbsp butter
> 4 tbsp flour
> 1 tsp salt
> 1/8th tsp pepper
> 2 cups milk
>
> Simmer 1st 5 ingredients 5 mins. Melt butter, add flour salt and pepper.
> Cook briefly then add milk gradually, stirring until it thickens. Add hot
> tomatoes a little at a time, stirring constantly.
>
> Delicious but I've only canned the "tomato" part of the recipe; reckon I
> can do the rest later. Oh, and the "little at a time" bit is important or it
> will curdle.
>
> Lamont

Thanks, Lamont. How long do you process the tomato base?

--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> In article <_Suom.43889$PH1.12253@edtnps82>,
> "lamont cranston" > wrote:
>
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> > Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>> >
>> > --
>> > -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> > http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
>> > it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
>> > newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

>> CREAM OF TOMATO SOUP
>>
>> 2 cups peeled tomatoes in rough chop
>> 1/4 onion diced
>> 1 tsp sugar
>> 1 bay leaf
>> 3 pepper berries
>>
>> 3 tbsp butter
>> 4 tbsp flour
>> 1 tsp salt
>> 1/8th tsp pepper
>> 2 cups milk
>>
>> Simmer 1st 5 ingredients 5 mins. Melt butter, add flour salt and pepper.
>> Cook briefly then add milk gradually, stirring until it thickens. Add hot
>> tomatoes a little at a time, stirring constantly.
>>
>> Delicious but I've only canned the "tomato" part of the recipe; reckon I
>> can do the rest later. Oh, and the "little at a time" bit is important or
>> it
>> will curdle.
>>
>> Lamont

> Thanks, Lamont. How long do you process the tomato base?
>

> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

I gave it fifteen minutes in my pressure cooker (pint jars). Though an old
book I have suggests twenty minutes. Can't suggest BWB times as I've never
tried that.

Lamont

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
> Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>
> --
> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

OHMYGOSH! I had the most amazing roasted tomato soup at a wedding on
Friday - now if I could find a recipe and can that!!!! It was not a cream
soup!

Kathi

Posted to rec.food.preserving

"Kathi Jones" > wrote in message

> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
>> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
>> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

> OHMYGOSH! I had the most amazing roasted tomato soup at a wedding on
> Friday - now if I could find a recipe and can that!!!! It was not a cream
> soup!
>
> Kathi

Hey if you get the recipe don't forget to post it!

Lamont

Posted to rec.food.preserving

Kathi Jones wrote:
> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>>
>> --
>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
>> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
>> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

> OHMYGOSH! I had the most amazing roasted tomato soup at a wedding on
> Friday - now if I could find a recipe and can that!!!! It was not a cream
> soup!
>
> Kathi

I can't say this is the one you had, but I tried this once and enjoyed
it a great deal. It does take a bit of work/fussing. It's part of an
article on "unami" in the Wall Street Journal of all places.
http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119706514515417586.html

HTH,
Dean
Posted to rec.food.preserving

"JakartaDean" > wrote in message
> Kathi Jones wrote:
>> "Melba's Jammin'" > wrote in message
>>> Anyone have a good recipe for BWB processing?
>>>
>>> --
>>> -Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
>>> http://web.me.com/barbschaller - Yes, I Can! blog - check
>>> it out. And check this, too: <http://www.kare11.com/news/
>>> newsatfour/newsatfour_article.aspx?storyid=823232&catid=323>

>> OHMYGOSH! I had the most amazing roasted tomato soup at a wedding on
>> Friday - now if I could find a recipe and can that!!!! It was not a
>> cream soup!
>>
>> Kathi

> I can't say this is the one you had, but I tried this once and enjoyed it
> a great deal. It does take a bit of work/fussing. It's part of an
> article on "unami" in the Wall Street Journal of all places.
> http://online.wsj.com/article/SB119706514515417586.html
>
> HTH,
> Dean''

interesting, but no that's not it. Was pretty much just tomato but with a
'punch' ...it's the 'punch' I'm wondering about. I roasted a bunch of home
grown romas yesterday with olive oil, basil and garlic, black
pepper...pureed and tasted. It was so good, I ate it all...standing in the
kitchen.........will have do another round to see if I can duplicate...then
can? Hmmmm...that'll be alot of tomatoes. Tomatos don't go far once
roasted and pureed...I may have to get my hands on a case, as I only put 3
plants in planter boxes this year........

Kathi

Tomato Bisque vs Tomato Soup (again) Sqwertz General Cooking 70 20-05-2008 07:58 PM
Tomato RECIPE #2 Tomato soup Puester General Cooking 0 07-09-2007 03:08 AM
Dad's Tomato Soup Tim Recipes 0 07-01-2006 03:45 AM
ROASTED YELLOW PEPPER SOUP AND ROASTED TOMATO SOUP WITH SERRANO CREAM Hahabogus Diabetic 0 03-10-2004 02:40 PM
Tomato Soup Help Please nutNhoney Preserving 9 26-08-2004 03:13 PM