Posted to rec.food.preserving,rec.food.cooking

Default Brought to You by the BBC (Part I, 4 pics)

The pictures referenced are posted to alt.binaries.food.
Follow-ups set to rec.food.preserving.

I was done sleeping at 4:30 this morning so I commenced to making
Pickled Watermelon Rind. It is a work in progress although the final
pic is of the finished product (from last year's <ahem> blue
ribbon-winning batch).

In a nutshell and without the particulars, after donning my pearls, the
process is to peel the rind from watermelon slices, trim it of most of
the pink flesh remaining, cut it into one- or two-bite pieces, cook it
until tender, soak it in the pickling syrup (sugar, vinegar, flavoring
oils) for two days, then jar, seal, and process for shelf storage.

The toughest part of this is finding a watermelon with a rind thick
enough to bear peeling. The rest is just time.

(Oh, the BBC part is because that's what's on public radio at that hour
of the day.)

I'm thinking a post-prandial nap is in order.
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The pictures referenced are posted to alt.binaries.food.
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.preserving.
>
> I was done sleeping at 4:30 this morning so I commenced to making
> Pickled Watermelon Rind. It is a work in progress although the final
> pic is of the finished product (from last year's <ahem> blue
> ribbon-winning batch).
>
> In a nutshell and without the particulars, after donning my pearls, the
> process is to peel the rind from watermelon slices, trim it of most of
> the pink flesh remaining, cut it into one- or two-bite pieces, cook it
> until tender, soak it in the pickling syrup (sugar, vinegar, flavoring
> oils) for two days, then jar, seal, and process for shelf storage.
>
> The toughest part of this is finding a watermelon with a rind thick
> enough to bear peeling. The rest is just time.
>
> (Oh, the BBC part is because that's what's on public radio at that hour
> of the day.)
>
> I'm thinking a post-prandial nap is in order.

You done good, luv...

Have you ever done cantaloupe rind pickles? They were a fave of mine when I
used to can...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article > ,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
>
> > The pictures referenced are posted to alt.binaries.food.
> > Follow-ups set to rec.food.preserving.

> Have you ever done cantaloupe rind pickles? They were a fave of mine when I
> used to can...

Nope. Thirty years ago I made Peach Cantaloup Conserve, but never
pickled the rinds. I should think they'd be too thin. No?
--
-Barb, Mother Superior, HOSSSPoJ
rec.food.cooking
Preserved Fruit Administrator
"Always in a jam. Never in a stew." - Evergene
Posted to rec.food.preserving

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> The pictures referenced are posted to alt.binaries.food.
> Follow-ups set to rec.food.preserving.
>
> I was done sleeping at 4:30 this morning so I commenced to making
> Pickled Watermelon Rind. It is a work in progress although the final
> pic is of the finished product (from last year's <ahem> blue
> ribbon-winning batch).
>
> In a nutshell and without the particulars, after donning my pearls, the
> process is to peel the rind from watermelon slices, trim it of most of
> the pink flesh remaining, cut it into one- or two-bite pieces, cook it
> until tender, soak it in the pickling syrup (sugar, vinegar, flavoring
> oils) for two days, then jar, seal, and process for shelf storage.
>
> The toughest part of this is finding a watermelon with a rind thick
> enough to bear peeling. The rest is just time.
>
> (Oh, the BBC part is because that's what's on public radio at that hour
> of the day.)
>
> I'm thinking a post-prandial nap is in order.

Sounds good. Good luck with your next competition.

What do you use to peel the rind? That step has always put me off
pickling watermelon rind. Other than that I quite like the stuff.
Posted to rec.food.preserving

In article >, Arri London >
wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> >
> > The pictures referenced are posted to alt.binaries.food.
> > Follow-ups set to rec.food.preserving.
> >
> > I was done sleeping at 4:30 this morning so I commenced to making
> > Pickled Watermelon Rind. It is a work in progress although the final
> > The toughest part of this is finding a watermelon with a rind thick
> > enough to bear peeling. The rest is just time.

> Sounds good. Good luck with your next competition.

Thanks. Entries will be submitted in ~5 weeks.

> What do you use to peel the rind? That step has always put me off
> pickling watermelon rind. Other than that I quite like the stuff.

I have a *great* U-shape peeler that I bought at the State Fair a few
years ago. It's the best peeler I own. Star brand, made in
Switzerland. This is it:
http://www.simplygoodstuff.com/star_peeler.html