Julie Bove

Default Milk in refried beans

This subject came up in another newsgroup but it got me wondering since my
mom and daughter both have milk allergies and we eat a lot of Mexican food.
Most of the recipes I've seen used either lard, bacon or chorizo in them,
but not milk. I do not use milk when I make mine at home. And I know some
people here will cringe because I use olive oil in mine. I did find one
recipe from a Mexican restaurant chain in Arizona that uses evaporated milk
in their refried beans. Just wondered how common this was? I don't think
this is very common here in WA. But I still want to know. I can't always
get an answer when I ask about ingredients in various Mexican restaurants
here because my Spanish is not so good and neither is their English. And
yes, I do know how to say "milk" in Spanish. It's the rest of it I can't
seem to explain to them.

--
See my webpage:

Sonoran Dude

Julie Bove wrote:
> This subject came up in another newsgroup but it got me wondering since my
> mom and daughter both have milk allergies and we eat a lot of Mexican food.
> Most of the recipes I've seen used either lard, bacon or chorizo in them,
> but not milk. I do not use milk when I make mine at home. And I know some
> people here will cringe because I use olive oil in mine. I did find one
> recipe from a Mexican restaurant chain in Arizona that uses evaporated milk
> in their refried beans. Just wondered how common this was? I don't think
> this is very common here in WA. But I still want to know. I can't always
> get an answer when I ask about ingredients in various Mexican restaurants
> here because my Spanish is not so good and neither is their English. And
> yes, I do know how to say "milk" in Spanish. It's the rest of it I can't
> seem to explain to them.

Milk is a common thinning agent in beans. In a pinch I will heat up a
can of Rosita's refried and add milk and some unsalted butter to bring
it to a more authentic taste and conistancy. Most Mexican friends of
mine will use milk to doctor up canned beans, that is where I learned
about it. I have not known them to use milk when cooking homemade beans
though. I also use extra virgin olive oil for my homemade beans instead
of lard and can't taste the difference.
Wayne Lundberg

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message
> This subject came up in another newsgroup but it got me wondering since my
> mom and daughter both have milk allergies and we eat a lot of Mexican

food.
---snip----

I have never heard of such blasphemy! Just kidding, but nobody in my circle
ever use milk in beans at any stage of the game.

As to lard or olive oil consider that a spoonful of lard in a quart of beans
is the catalyst necessary to make the human body treat the beans as protein
and will digest accordingly, giving you full measure of nutrients. To many
people this suggests getting fat, so they elect to use corn oil or olive oil
so as to not trigger the enzyme change caused by the lard catalyst.

So if you want refried beans as a nutrient and not just for the taste, then
use bacon grease or lard. If you want the beans just because they are so
darned good, then go for olive oil and less beans will stay in your body.

Wayne

Jack Schidt®

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> Julie Bove wrote:
>> This subject came up in another newsgroup but it got me wondering since
>> my
>> mom and daughter both have milk allergies and we eat a lot of Mexican
>> food.
>> Most of the recipes I've seen used either lard, bacon or chorizo in them,
>> but not milk. I do not use milk when I make mine at home. And I know
>> some
>> people here will cringe because I use olive oil in mine. I did find one
>> recipe from a Mexican restaurant chain in Arizona that uses evaporated
>> milk
>> in their refried beans. Just wondered how common this was? I don't
>> think
>> this is very common here in WA. But I still want to know. I can't
>> always
>> get an answer when I ask about ingredients in various Mexican restaurants
>> here because my Spanish is not so good and neither is their English. And
>> yes, I do know how to say "milk" in Spanish. It's the rest of it I can't
>> seem to explain to them.
>>

> Milk is a common thinning agent in beans. In a pinch I will heat up a can
> of Rosita's refried and add milk and some unsalted butter to bring it to a
> more authentic taste and conistancy. Most Mexican friends of mine will use
> milk to doctor up canned beans, that is where I learned about it. I have
> not known them to use milk when cooking homemade beans though. I also use
> extra virgin olive oil for my homemade beans instead of lard and can't
> taste the difference.

Haha, damn I can taste the difference between XV olive oil and lard
blindfolded. As for milk being common as a thinning agent, I don't think
so. Try meat or vegetable stock. That's what my amigos mexicanos taught
me.

Jack

Julie Bove

"Jack Schidt®" > wrote in message
.. .

> Haha, damn I can taste the difference between XV olive oil and lard
> blindfolded. As for milk being common as a thinning agent, I don't think
> so. Try meat or vegetable stock. That's what my amigos mexicanos taught
> me.

I don't need anything to thin them with. My concern was that we might get
some in a restaurant that had milk in them. My mom and daughter are
allergic to milk.

--
See my webpage:

Julie Bove

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> I have never heard of such blasphemy! Just kidding, but nobody in my

circle
> ever use milk in beans at any stage of the game.
>
> As to lard or olive oil consider that a spoonful of lard in a quart of

beans
> is the catalyst necessary to make the human body treat the beans as

protein
> and will digest accordingly, giving you full measure of nutrients. To many
> people this suggests getting fat, so they elect to use corn oil or olive

oil
> so as to not trigger the enzyme change caused by the lard catalyst.
>
> So if you want refried beans as a nutrient and not just for the taste,

then
> use bacon grease or lard. If you want the beans just because they are so
> darned good, then go for olive oil and less beans will stay in your body.

Thanks! I used to be a vegetarian but had to start eating some meat due to
chronic anemia. But I got into the habit of using olive oil and I prefer
the taste of it.

--
See my webpage:

Wayne Lundberg

"Julie Bove" > wrote in message

> "Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message
>
> > I have never heard of such blasphemy! Just kidding, but nobody in my

> circle
> > ever use milk in beans at any stage of the game.
> >
> > As to lard or olive oil consider that a spoonful of lard in a quart of

> beans
> > is the catalyst necessary to make the human body treat the beans as

> protein
> > and will digest accordingly, giving you full measure of nutrients. To

many
> > people this suggests getting fat, so they elect to use corn oil or olive

> oil
> > so as to not trigger the enzyme change caused by the lard catalyst.
> >
> > So if you want refried beans as a nutrient and not just for the taste,

> then
> > use bacon grease or lard. If you want the beans just because they are so
> > darned good, then go for olive oil and less beans will stay in your

body.

> Thanks! I used to be a vegetarian but had to start eating some meat due

> chronic anemia. But I got into the habit of using olive oil and I prefer
> the taste of it.

..
You would do yourself a favor by taking a second look at my note. If one
spoonful of lard in a quart of beans yields the equivalent of the weight in
beef, but is vegetarian except for that single catalyst.... would you not be
doing yourself a favor? Keeping to veggie diet but putting full nutrients
into your body with just that one teeny weenie bit of lard?

Wayne

Sonoran Dude

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>
>>Julie Bove wrote:
>>
>>>This subject came up in another newsgroup but it got me wondering since
>>>my
>>>mom and daughter both have milk allergies and we eat a lot of Mexican
>>>food.
>>>Most of the recipes I've seen used either lard, bacon or chorizo in them,
>>>but not milk. I do not use milk when I make mine at home. And I know
>>>some
>>>people here will cringe because I use olive oil in mine. I did find one
>>>recipe from a Mexican restaurant chain in Arizona that uses evaporated
>>>milk
>>>in their refried beans. Just wondered how common this was? I don't
>>>think
>>>this is very common here in WA. But I still want to know. I can't
>>>always
>>>get an answer when I ask about ingredients in various Mexican restaurants
>>>here because my Spanish is not so good and neither is their English. And
>>>yes, I do know how to say "milk" in Spanish. It's the rest of it I can't
>>>seem to explain to them.
>>>

>>Milk is a common thinning agent in beans. In a pinch I will heat up a can
>>of Rosita's refried and add milk and some unsalted butter to bring it to a
>>more authentic taste and conistancy. Most Mexican friends of mine will use
>>milk to doctor up canned beans, that is where I learned about it. I have
>>not known them to use milk when cooking homemade beans though. I also use
>>extra virgin olive oil for my homemade beans instead of lard and can't
>>taste the difference.

> Haha, damn I can taste the difference between XV olive oil and lard
> blindfolded. As for milk being common as a thinning agent, I don't think
> so. Try meat or vegetable stock. That's what my amigos mexicanos taught
> me.
>
> Jack

Let me re-phrase that... it is common to use milk to thin canned refried
beans... of course you wouldn't use it on home made beans... I use olive
oil because I always have it on hand and not that I dislike lard but
what is a guy to do with a 5lb tub of lard... takes up too much space in
my little fridge.
Julie Bove

"Wayne Lundberg" > wrote in message

> You would do yourself a favor by taking a second look at my note. If one
> spoonful of lard in a quart of beans yields the equivalent of the weight

in
> beef, but is vegetarian except for that single catalyst.... would you not

be
> doing yourself a favor? Keeping to veggie diet but putting full nutrients
> into your body with just that one teeny weenie bit of lard?

Since I don't make beans at home that often, I would have no other use for
the lard. And my family likes them made with olive oil. So that works for
me.

--
See my webpage:

Jack Schidt®

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jack Schidt® wrote:

>>>Milk is a common thinning agent in beans. In a pinch I will heat up a can
>>>of Rosita's refried and add milk and some unsalted butter to bring it to
>>>a more authentic taste and conistancy. Most Mexican friends of mine will
>>>use milk to doctor up canned beans, that is where I learned about it. I
>>>have not known them to use milk when cooking homemade beans though. I
>>>also use extra virgin olive oil for my homemade beans instead of lard and
>>>can't taste the difference.

>> Haha, damn I can taste the difference between XV olive oil and lard
>> blindfolded. As for milk being common as a thinning agent, I don't think
>> so. Try meat or vegetable stock. That's what my amigos mexicanos taught
>> me.
>>
>> Jack

> Let me re-phrase that... it is common to use milk to thin canned refried
> beans... of course you wouldn't use it on home made beans... I use olive
> oil because I always have it on hand and not that I dislike lard but what
> is a guy to do with a 5lb tub of lard... takes up too much space in my
> little fridge.

Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't keep that much lard on hand either,
but render trimmings from pork dishes. I usually get enough for one or 2
small batches of beans.

Jack

Sonoran Dude

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:

> Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't keep that much lard on hand either,
> but render trimmings from pork dishes. I usually get enough for one or 2
> small batches of beans.
>
> Jack

How do you render? just take the clear juice and put it in a coffee can
like bacon grease?
Jack Schidt®

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
>> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
>> . ..
>>
>>>Jack Schidt® wrote:

>> Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't keep that much lard on hand
>> either, but render trimmings from pork dishes. I usually get enough for
>> one or 2 small batches of beans.
>>
>> Jack

> How do you render? just take the clear juice and put it in a coffee can
> like bacon grease?

I usually have enough for about a half or 1 cup jar which I refrigerate and
spoon out as needed. It's just me here, so I don't need much. Even better
is taking fatty portions of a pork shoulder that I've smoked and rendering
them down. That smoky flavor does come through nicely.

Jack

Sonoran Dude

Jack Schidt® wrote:
> "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
> . ..
>
>>Jack Schidt® wrote:
>>
>>>"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
om...

>>>Gotcha. Thanks for clarifying. I don't keep that much lard on hand
>>>either, but render trimmings from pork dishes. I usually get enough for
>>>one or 2 small batches of beans.
>>>
>>>Jack

>>How do you render? just take the clear juice and put it in a coffee can
>>like bacon grease?

> I usually have enough for about a half or 1 cup jar which I refrigerate and
> spoon out as needed. It's just me here, so I don't need much. Even better
> is taking fatty portions of a pork shoulder that I've smoked and rendering
> them down. That smoky flavor does come through nicely.
>
> Jack

so rendering is pan cooking the fatty pieces over slow heat for an hour
then let it cool and spoon off the top? Just trying to get a feel for
the process. Good idea for the fatty parts of the butt I throw away.

Wayne Lundberg

"Sonoran Dude" > wrote in message
. ..
> Jack Schidt® wrote:
> > "Sonoran Dude" > wrote in .

snip

> so rendering is pan cooking the fatty pieces over slow heat for an hour
> then let it cool and spoon off the top? Just trying to get a feel for
> the process. Good idea for the fatty parts of the butt I throw away.

Ranch style rendering in Mexico is putting the pork skins and fat into a big
kettle with water then let if boil and bubble off until the water has
evaporated and all that is left is lard. The meat and skins (turned into
chicharron by now) are what is left. The meat to be served as carnitas.
Actually very little meat is put into this concoction. Mostly it's the skin
and droppings.

Wayne

werty

Mexicans are drinkin g/cooking with more milk today , but i lived in
SLP in 50's not much cows
milk . And NO cheese , no money !!
Queso fresco /cosido
Mexicans can cook ! I know for i live in Asia .

masa harina and lard and you get some flavor from basic starvation
type
food , and the Latins know how to do it ! Just plain old steamed
tortillas a bit of butter !! flavor

In Thailand they simply won't learn to cook . I try to teach them how
to use masa harina
but they don't listen ...

werty

and 90% of the world can't do lactose !

In Asia it's 98% . Only USA and Europe can do milk .

Many Asians are poisoning themselves trying to be like us .

If you can't do milk DON'T TRY !! It can cause colon problems
that will KILL YOU . But it takes 15 years to kill you .

Refried Beans Travis and Jenn Bartimus Recipes (moderated) 0 22-07-2006 04:43 AM
Refried beans Mitch@this_is_not_a_real_address.com General Cooking 13 05-02-2006 04:47 AM
refried beans? Me General Cooking 6 10-12-2005 04:50 AM
refried beans abc Mexican Cooking 11 26-01-2005 03:19 AM
Tell me about REFRIED BEANS General Cooking 12 07-03-2004 07:20 PM