Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Mom made Mashed 'Tater Pancakes

Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.

I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').

Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

Jill

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, on Tue 08 Aug 2006 12:07:05a, jmcquown meant to say...

> Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
> from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
> They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.
>
> I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato
> pancakes. It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold
> leftover mashed potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley
> and mix it all together. If you want to get creative add some minced
> garlic. Add a little flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the
> formed 'pancakes').
>
> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato
> pancakes by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture
> is likely to fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

Exactly the way my mom used to make them. Potato patties, she called them.
I haven't had those in a very long time. Thanks for the reminder! I never
had potato pancakes with grated potatoes until I was an adult. Both are
delicious!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Three out of five people aren't the other two.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
> from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
> They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.
>
> I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
> It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
> potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
> together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
> flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').
>
> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
> by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
> fall apart. But oh do they taste good!
>
> Jill

We called them mashed potato patties. Had them only rarely because
there usually weren't leftover mashed potatoes. :-)
--
-Barb
<http://jamlady.eboard.com> Updated 7-27-06, For The King and His
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> We called them mashed potato patties. Had them only rarely because
> there usually weren't leftover mashed potatoes. :-)

They were a fave with my grandpa...served along with liver 'n onions...

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Melba's Jammin' wrote:
> In article >,
> "jmcquown" > wrote:
>

>>Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
>>from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
>>They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.
>>
>>I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
>>It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
>>potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
>>together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
>>flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').
>>
>>Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
>>by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
>>fall apart. But oh do they taste good!
>>
>>Jill

> We called them mashed potato patties. Had them only rarely because
> there usually weren't leftover mashed potatoes. :-)

We had them every year for Passover. Some days we had the Latkes made
with raw potatoes, on other days the ones with mashed potatoes. I
loved both kinds. ) Still do, come to think of it.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"jmcquown" > wrote

> I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
> It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover
> mashed
> potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
> together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a
> little
> flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').
>
> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato
> pancakes
> by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely
> fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

My mother made those, though I don't think she added the onion,
etc., Just the mashed potatoes, maybe an egg. That's what I knew
as potato pancakes.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> My mother made those, though I don't think she added the onion,
> etc., Just the mashed potatoes, maybe an egg. That's what I knew
> as potato pancakes.
>
> nancy

That's the way my mom made them, too, just potatoes and an egg to bind.
Blech, I never cared for them at all. Seemed to be too greasy for my
stomach but everybody else liked them. It's been at least 30 years
since I've eaten any and I can go another 30 without ever eating them
again.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

jmcquown wrote:

> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
> by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
> fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

They sure do. I haven't made them in ages. I think its about time I did.

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8 Aug 2006 09:46:23 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
<wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:

>Oh pshaw, on Tue 08 Aug 2006 12:07:05a, jmcquown meant to say...

>> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato
>> pancakes by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture
>> is likely to fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

>Exactly the way my mom used to make them. Potato patties, she called them.
>I haven't had those in a very long time. Thanks for the reminder! I never
>had potato pancakes with grated potatoes until I was an adult. Both are
>delicious!

My mother did the same thing, but she fried hers in bacon fat.
MMmmmmm...so good that way.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 8 Aug 2006 02:07:05 -0500, "jmcquown" >
wrote:

>I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
>It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
>potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
>together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
>flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').

Try them with scallions instead of regular onions sometime. I
substitute whenever possible. We just like the flavor better.

>Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
>by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
>fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

I love Chris's idea of bacon fat, too. Mmmmmm!

Carol

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Oh pshaw, On Tue 08 Aug 2006 08:07:20a, Christine Dabney was muttering
about...

> On 8 Aug 2006 09:46:23 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>
>>Oh pshaw, on Tue 08 Aug 2006 12:07:05a, jmcquown meant to say...

>>> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato
>>> pancakes by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the
>>> mixture is likely to fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

>>Exactly the way my mom used to make them. Potato patties, she called
>>them. I haven't had those in a very long time. Thanks for the
>>reminder! I never had potato pancakes with grated potatoes until I was
>>an adult. Both are delicious!

> My mother did the same thing, but she fried hers in bacon fat.
> MMmmmmm...so good that way.
>
> Christine

Yes, bacon fat, whenever we had it. Actually, I can remember some meals
that were just potato patties, bacon, and homemade applesauce.

--

Wayne Boatwright

I often wonder ...
What do people mean when they say the computer went down on me?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
>from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
>They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.
>
>I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
>It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
>potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
>together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
>flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').
>
>Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
>by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
>fall apart. But oh do they taste good!
>
>Jill

Sometimes I get into a hurry and just fry the mashed. I know, not that
much time savings, but still good with eggs and bacon.

jim

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Oh pshaw, On Tue 08 Aug 2006 08:07:20a, Christine Dabney was muttering
> about...
>
>> On 8 Aug 2006 09:46:23 +0200, Wayne Boatwright
>> <wayneboatwright_at_gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Oh pshaw, on Tue 08 Aug 2006 12:07:05a, jmcquown meant to say...

>>> Exactly the way my mom used to make them. Potato patties, she
>>> called them. I haven't had those in a very long time. Thanks for
>>> the reminder! I never had potato pancakes with grated potatoes
>>> until I was an adult. Both are delicious!

>> My mother did the same thing, but she fried hers in bacon fat.
>> MMmmmmm...so good that way.
>>
>> Christine
>>

> Yes, bacon fat, whenever we had it. Actually, I can remember some
> meals that were just potato patties, bacon, and homemade applesauce.

Mom only made bacon on Sundays so there wasn't much bacon fat around.
Sounds good, though!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Michael "Dog3" Lonergan wrote:
> I like 'em for breakfast with sausage and eggs over easy.

Made up a batch of (grated) potato cakes Monday night to have as an
accompaniment to Beef Stroganoff... makes a wonderful change to rice or
egg noodles!
great big plate sized ones.... truly delicious.

Never made them with mashed spuds - will have to given them a go.

LadyJane
--
"Never trust a skinny cook!"

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote on 08 Aug 2006 in rec.food.cooking

> "jmcquown" > wrote
>
> > I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato
> > pancakes. It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of
> > cold leftover mashed
> > potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it
> > all together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic.
> > Add a little
> > flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed
> > 'pancakes').
> >
> > Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato
> > pancakes
> > by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is
> > likely to
> > fall apart. But oh do they taste good!

> My mother made those, though I don't think she added the onion,
> etc., Just the mashed potatoes, maybe an egg. That's what I knew
> as potato pancakes.
>
> nancy

They really need onion...and maybe as a option some minced garlic. Just
like pancakes need chocolate chips or blueberries.

--

Curiosity killed the cat, but for a while I was a suspect

-Alan

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
"jmcquown" > wrote:

> Now, there are two types that I know of. One my German grandmother made
> from grated potatoes. The other grandma made them from leftover mashed.
> They are both equally good in their own way but quite different.
>
> I talked with Mom Sunday night and she was making mashed potato pancakes.
> It's pretty simple. You add an egg to about 2 cups of cold leftover mashed
> potatoes. Add some minced onion and some minced parsley and mix it all
> together. If you want to get creative add some minced garlic. Add a little
> flour if the mixture is too wet (or just dust the formed 'pancakes').
>
> Heat some butter and oil in a hot skillet and then drop the potato pancakes
> by spoonfuls into the hot fat; turn gently because the mixture is likely to
> fall apart. But oh do they taste good!
>
> Jill

My mom, whose family were from Kentucky and Tennessee, also made these.
She used to sprinkle some corn meal on the surface of the patties before
she put them in the skillet so the wouldn't stick as much. Childhood
memories!

D.M.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 08 Aug 2006 19:03:49 -0700, Donald Martinich >
wrote:

>My mom, whose family were from Kentucky and Tennessee, also made these.
>She used to sprinkle some corn meal on the surface of the patties before
>she put them in the skillet so the wouldn't stick as much. Childhood
>memories!

My paternal grandmother made these for me once. She added leftover
cooked corn kernels. My ten-year old self thought them MARVELOUS. I
suspect I still would!

TammyM
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Zox Zox is offline

ensenadajim wrote:

> Sometimes I get into a hurry and just fry the mashed.

That's not proper English, dummy.