Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Supermarket Courtesy MY OPPOSITE VIEW

Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
I approached the check-out with a full cart--45 !! items. I hadn't
been shopping for 2 weeks. I wasn't feeling well, and looked like it--I
was wearing a cervical neck brace. It was 8:30 PM. I was tired. I'm
sure she was, too. I was thinking of the unloading job when I got home.
The clerk took one look at me and came around the counter and unloaded
ALL of my 45 items onto the counter. Then she went back around the
counter and entered each item and bagged each one, and loaded them into
the cart. She then, without asking, took the cart outside for me and
loaded each of the items into my car. I was so grateful. I hadn't
gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me. I don't know what they did for her,
but she was very happy about it. Now, when I go in that store, I often
hear her voice ring out a happy hello.

When you get aggravated with the cheery clerks, --well, would you trade
places ??

Cheers, Nancree

Posted to rec.food.cooking
aem aem is offline

nancree wrote:
> Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
>[snip] I was so grateful. I hadn't
> gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
> Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
> number on my receipt. [snip]

Good for her, and good for you! Clever to realize the receipt number
would be traceable to her. I am one who complains to management now
and then, so I also feel obliged to offer thanks and compliments for
'above and beyond' work. -aem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:

>Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).
>I approached the check-out with a full cart--45 !! items. I hadn't
>been shopping for 2 weeks. I wasn't feeling well, and looked like it--I
>was wearing a cervical neck brace. It was 8:30 PM. I was tired. I'm
>sure she was, too. I was thinking of the unloading job when I got home.
> The clerk took one look at me and came around the counter and unloaded
>ALL of my 45 items onto the counter. Then she went back around the
>counter and entered each item and bagged each one, and loaded them into
>the cart. She then, without asking, took the cart outside for me and
>loaded each of the items into my car. I was so grateful. I hadn't
>gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
>Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
>number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
>clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me. I don't know what they did for her,
>but she was very happy about it. Now, when I go in that store, I often
>hear her voice ring out a happy hello.
>
>When you get aggravated with the cheery clerks, --well, would you trade
>places ??
>
>Cheers, Nancree

What a lovely story!

I've been following all this bitching about supermarket staff from a
safe distance, and really I have had trouble working out what all the
fuss is about.

The funny thing is that when the checkout chick says "Have a nice one!"
or something similar and you're feeling grumpy, you mutter imprecations
about the country being taken over by bloody stupid American behaviour,
and here we have the Americans themselves complaining about it.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"nancree" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out (Albertson's).

snip
I was so grateful. I hadn't
> gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
> Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
> number on my receipt. A few weeks later I got a phone call, and the
> clerk (Maria, she said) thanked me.

snip
> Cheers, Nancree

Good for you. I know that you made her day. Truth be told, I bet we are
all envious of Maria. Acknowledgement of the work we do is in such short
supply. We'd all be much happier campers if someone really noticed the work
we do and told us it was appreciated.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12 Feb 2006 13:21:13 -0800, "aem" > connected
the dots and wrote:

~
~nancree wrote:
~> Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out
(Albertson's).
~>[snip] I was so grateful. I hadn't
~> gotten her name. I wrote a letter to the national headquarters of
~> Albertson's , telling them the story, and giving them the serial
~> number on my receipt. [snip]
~
~Good for her, and good for you! Clever to realize the receipt number
~would be traceable to her. I am one who complains to management now
~and then, so I also feel obliged to offer thanks and compliments for
~'above and beyond' work. -aem

Around here, the clerk's name is on the receipt, since they have to
log into the register when they start. Of course, when there are six
Ashleys and 4 Michaels, it's good to have the receipt number to go by.

that lady deserved every good thing that the store did for her, and
probably more. Thanks for saying something.

maxine in ri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

nancree wrote:
> Here's my recent experience at a supermarket check-out .. <snipped>

Good for you! Sometimes a simple "thank-you" goes a long way.

Our local supermarket has a very nice "perk"... if you spend more than
"$XX" you get a free cake. As I shop there once a week, this is not
difficult... today we got a really nice "home-baked" coffee cake - Yum!

Cheers
Cathy(xyz)