Reg

Default Last Meal on The Titanic

This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
a bad way to go out of this world.

First Course
Hors D'Oeuvres
Oysters

Second Course
Consommé Olga
Cream of Barley

Third Course
Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers

Fourth Course
Filet Mignons Lili
Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
Vegetable Marrow Farci

Fifth Course
Lamb, Mint Sauce
Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
Green Pea
Creamed Carrots
Boiled Rice
Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes

Sixth Course
Punch Romaine

Seventh Course
Roast Squab & Cress

Eighth Course
Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette

Ninth Course
Pate de Foie Gras
Celery

Tenth Course
Waldorf Pudding
Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly
Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
French Ice Cream

pavane

"Reg" > wrote in message
> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.

....and the wine list, please?

Siobhan Perricone

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:53:48 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the

What did they have in second or third class? :/

--
Siobhan Perricone
"This isn't right. This isn't even wrong."
Wayne

Reg > wrote in news:MIbDc.7945$Pt.6946
@newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:

> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.

It's always interesting to see this menu, but most of us would never have
been privileged to enjoy this dinner since it's doubtful that we'd have
been in First Class. Second Class on the Titanic was more akin to First
Class on any other liner. This is the menu for the Second Class
passengers:

RMS Titanic Second Class Dinner Menu
April 14, 1912

Consomme with Tapioca

Baked Haddock, Sharp Sauce
Curried Chicken & Rice
Spring Lamb, Mint Sauce
Roast Turkey, Cranberry Sauce
Green Peas
Puree Turnips
Boiled Rice
Boiled & Roast Potatoes

Plum Pudding
Wine Jelly
Cocoanut Sandwich
American Ice Cream
Nuts Assorted
Fresh Fruit
Cheese, Biscuits
Coffee

The Third Class Dinner Menu apparently no longer exists, but is thought
to have been High Tea, consisting of Ragout of beef, potatoes and pickles
(in other words, Irish Stew), (stewed) apricots, fresh bread and butter
and currant buns as well as the obligatory tea.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
jmcquown

Siobhan Perricone wrote:
> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 09:53:48 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>
>> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the

> What did they have in second or third class? :/

Bread and water? )

Jill

jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
> Reg > wrote in news:MIbDc.7945$Pt.6946
> @newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:
>
>> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
>> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
>> a bad way to go out of this world.
>>

> It's always interesting to see this menu, but most of us would never
> have been privileged to enjoy this dinner since it's doubtful that
> we'd have been in First Class. Second Class on the Titanic was more
> akin to First Class on any other liner. This is the menu for the
> Second Class passengers:
>
> RMS Titanic Second Class Dinner Menu
> April 14, 1912
>
> Consomme with Tapioca
>
> Baked Haddock, Sharp Sauce
> Curried Chicken & Rice
> Spring Lamb, Mint Sauce
> Roast Turkey, Cranberry Sauce
> Green Peas
> Puree Turnips
> Boiled Rice
> Boiled & Roast Potatoes
>
> Plum Pudding
> Wine Jelly
> Cocoanut Sandwich
> American Ice Cream
> Nuts Assorted
> Fresh Fruit
> Cheese, Biscuits
> Coffee
>
> The Third Class Dinner Menu apparently no longer exists, but is
> thought to have been High Tea, consisting of Ragout of beef, potatoes
> and pickles (in other words, Irish Stew), (stewed) apricots, fresh
> bread and butter and currant buns as well as the obligatory tea.

Hey, I'll take this Second Class menu any day! Thanks for sharing this.
It's scary for me to think my grandparents made almost this same crossing
just a few years later than Titanic. They were, of course, in the Third
Class and coming over over from Scotland. They might have thrown in some
scones to go with the tea

Jill

Wayne

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Wayne wrote:
>> Reg > wrote in news:MIbDc.7945$Pt.6946
>> @newssvr19.news.prodigy.com:
>>
>>> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
>>> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
>>> a bad way to go out of this world.
>>>

>> It's always interesting to see this menu, but most of us would never
>> have been privileged to enjoy this dinner since it's doubtful that
>> we'd have been in First Class. Second Class on the Titanic was more
>> akin to First Class on any other liner. This is the menu for the
>> Second Class passengers:
>>
>> RMS Titanic Second Class Dinner Menu
>> April 14, 1912
>>
>> Consomme with Tapioca
>>
>> Baked Haddock, Sharp Sauce
>> Curried Chicken & Rice
>> Spring Lamb, Mint Sauce
>> Roast Turkey, Cranberry Sauce
>> Green Peas
>> Puree Turnips
>> Boiled Rice
>> Boiled & Roast Potatoes
>>
>> Plum Pudding
>> Wine Jelly
>> Cocoanut Sandwich
>> American Ice Cream
>> Nuts Assorted
>> Fresh Fruit
>> Cheese, Biscuits
>> Coffee
>>
>> The Third Class Dinner Menu apparently no longer exists, but is
>> thought to have been High Tea, consisting of Ragout of beef, potatoes
>> and pickles (in other words, Irish Stew), (stewed) apricots, fresh
>> bread and butter and currant buns as well as the obligatory tea.

> Hey, I'll take this Second Class menu any day! Thanks for sharing
> this. It's scary for me to think my grandparents made almost this same
> crossing just a few years later than Titanic. They were, of course,
> in the Third Class and coming over over from Scotland. They might
> have thrown in some scones to go with the tea
>
> Jill

On many other liners of the day, Third Class or Steerage (classes and
their names varied by company) actually had to bring their own food
aboard for the voyage. The White Star Line was the first to provide food
to Third Class passengers.

That Second Class menu does sound pretty good. I could survive on that!
BTW, for those USians who don't know, a "Coconut Sandwich" is really a
coconut layer cake.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Nancy Young

Wayne wrote:

> BTW, for those USians who don't know, a "Coconut Sandwich" is really a
> coconut layer cake.

That's hilarious, I did actually wonder about that! Thanks.

nancy
Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DD832A.F4FD7DE8
@monmouth.com:

> Wayne wrote:
>
>> BTW, for those USians who don't know, a "Coconut Sandwich" is really a
>> coconut layer cake.

> That's hilarious, I did actually wonder about that! Thanks.
>
> nancy

Your're welcome! British cookbooks abound with recipes for various
"sanwiches", one of the most popular being the "Victoria Sandwich" which
is a plain butter-creamed yellow cake (more dense than ours, but not as
dense as pound cake) layered with red jam and dusted with powdered sugar.
Other types are filled and frosted as we know them in the US. In
general, British cakes are often richer than ours and are often decorated
to the hilt, frequently containing bits of fruit or peel or nuts. Their
bakeries would put most here in the US to shame, what with our fluffy and
sometimes gritty frosting made with Crisco and the like.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
PENMART01

>It's scary for me to think my grandparents made almost this same crossing
>just a few years later than Titanic. They were, of course, in the Third
>Class and coming over over from Scotland. They might have thrown in some
>scones to go with the tea
>
>Jill

They probably brought their own haggis.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
*********
Sheldon
````````````

jmcquown

PENMART01 wrote:
>> It's scary for me to think my grandparents made almost this same
>> crossing just a few years later than Titanic. They were, of course,
>> in the Third Class and coming over over from Scotland. They might
>> have thrown in some scones to go with the tea
>>
>> Jill

> They probably brought their own haggis.

Aye, they may have! They always did go doon to the Scottish Rite Cathedral
on Rabbie Burns' birthday to see the piping of the haggis.

Nancy Young

Reg wrote:

> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.

I assume it was one of those types of things where you have to sit
there through all the courses. Just another thing I didn't like
about cruising. I would hate being stuck there like an endless
wedding reception, trying to entertain people you don't even know.
Ten courses, save me! (laugh)

Food does look great. Hard to believe many people could eat all but
a bit of each course. I suppose a lot of it wound up being
jettisoned.

nancy
Nancy Young

Steve Wertz wrote:

> On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 11:25:41 -0400, Nancy Young
> > wrote:
>
> >I suppose a lot of it wound up being jettisoned.

> Well, it *was* the Titanic, after all.

(laugh!!!!) Uh yeah ... you're absolutely correct. I was thinking
more of the average night on the ship than that particular evening.

nancy
Reg

pavane wrote:

> "Reg" > wrote in message
>
>>This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
>>Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
>>a bad way to go out of this world.
>>

> ...and the wine list, please?

Good question! I'm still looking.

They were served a different wine with every course.
As soon as I get my hands on the list I'll post it.

Katra

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.
>
> First Course
> Hors D'Oeuvres
> Oysters
>
> Second Course
> Consommé Olga
> Cream of Barley
>
> Third Course
> Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers
>
> Fourth Course
> Filet Mignons Lili
> Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
> Vegetable Marrow Farci
>
> Fifth Course
> Lamb, Mint Sauce
> Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
> Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
> Green Pea
> Creamed Carrots
> Boiled Rice
> Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes
>
> Sixth Course
> Punch Romaine
>
> Seventh Course
> Roast Squab & Cress
>
> Eighth Course
> Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette
>
> Ninth Course
> Pate de Foie Gras
> Celery
>
> Tenth Course
> Waldorf Pudding
> Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly
> Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
> French Ice Cream

I could never eat that much food. :-P
Maybe one bite of each at most...

Breakfast usually consists of 2 eggs and a couple of bites of some
veggie. That stuffs me!

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Paul M. Cook©®

"Reg" > wrote in message
> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.
>
> First Course
> Hors D'Oeuvres
> Oysters
>
> Second Course
> Consommé Olga
> Cream of Barley
>
> Third Course
> Poached Salmon with Mousseline Sauce, Cucumbers
>
> Fourth Course
> Filet Mignons Lili
> Saute of Chicken, Lyonnaise
> Vegetable Marrow Farci
>
> Fifth Course
> Lamb, Mint Sauce
> Roast Duckling, Apple Sauce
> Sirloin of Beef, Chateau Potatoes
> Green Pea
> Creamed Carrots
> Boiled Rice
> Parmentier & Boiled New Potatoes
>
> Sixth Course
> Punch Romaine
>
> Seventh Course
> Roast Squab & Cress
>
> Eighth Course
> Cold Asparagus Vinaigrette
>
> Ninth Course
> Pate de Foie Gras
> Celery
>
> Tenth Course
> Waldorf Pudding
> Peaches in Chartreuse Jelly
> Chocolate & Vanilla Eclairs
> French Ice Cream

Sounds about right. And quite representative of that age where the rich
could poke gold forks at vast amounts of lavishly prepared food and waste
almost all of it while below them in stearage were 2000 immigrants who were
coming to the New World to escape starvation. The Gilded Age indeed.

Paul

Puester

Reg wrote:

> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.

(Ten course choices snipped)

All that food could have sunk a ship all by itself!

gloria p
Gregory Morrow

Nancy Young wrote:

> I assume it was one of those types of things where you have to sit
> there through all the courses. Just another thing I didn't like
> about cruising. I would hate being stuck there like an endless
> wedding reception, trying to entertain people you don't even know.
> Ten courses, save me! (laugh)

It's like a comedian once said about cruises: "If you hate people on
land....". Being in a constant crowd scene would drive me nuts...especially
in the forced camaraderie of a cruise ship. I don't like guest houses for
the same reason...having to get up in the morning and having to play nice
with a bunch of strangers in the breakfast room. Give me a hotel and room
service any day :-]

--
Best
Greg "getting grouchier..."

Gregory Morrow

Paul M. Cook wrote:

> Sounds about right. And quite representative of that age where the rich
> could poke gold forks at vast amounts of lavishly prepared food and waste
> almost all of it while below them in stearage were 2000 immigrants who

were
> coming to the New World to escape starvation. The Gilded Age indeed.

Believe it or not I read recently that the gap between rich and poor is much
wider now than it was then....I guess it's less "conspicuous" now because
most folks aren't living on the edge of starvation like many were back "in
the day"...and now the gilded folk are called "Republicans".

--
Best
Greg

Gregory Morrow

Katra wrote:

> Breakfast usually consists of 2 eggs and a couple of bites of some
> veggie. That stuffs me!

Even when Sheldon stays over...??? <winkwink>

--
Best
Greg ;-p

jmcquown

Puester wrote:
> Reg wrote:
>>
>> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
>> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
>> a bad way to go out of this world.
>>

> (Ten course choices snipped)
>
> All that food could have sunk a ship all by itself!
>
> gloria p

A side note is the musical score to the film 'Titanic' was done by James
Horner, a fantastic composer.

Jill

Victor Sack

Reg > wrote:

> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
> a bad way to go out of this world.

Comprehensive lists of menus, wines, etc. served on the Titanic can be
found at <http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/food.htm>.

Victor
Nancy Young

Gregory Morrow wrote:

> Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > I assume it was one of those types of things where you have to sit
> > there through all the courses. Just another thing I didn't like
> > about cruising. I would hate being stuck there like an endless
> > wedding reception, trying to entertain people you don't even know.
> > Ten courses, save me! (laugh)

> It's like a comedian once said about cruises: "If you hate people on
> land....". Being in a constant crowd scene would drive me nuts...especially
> in the forced camaraderie of a cruise ship. I don't like guest houses for
> the same reason...having to get up in the morning and having to play nice
> with a bunch of strangers in the breakfast room. Give me a hotel and room
> service any day :-]

I know! Be there by five, dressed up. Hello, I'm on vacation. I've
been out all day, I don't need you telling me when to eat and when to
have my picture taken. Last I heard they are going away from that
scenario.

nancy
Grismalkin

>> It's scary for me to think my grandparents made almost this same
>>> crossing just a few years later than Titanic. They were, of course,
>>> in the Third Class and coming over over from Scotland. They might
>>> have thrown in some scones to go with the tea
>>>
>>> Jill

All of my grandparents came over here on boats and I'm sure that it wasn't
First Class. My mother's parents landed in Canada, separately, and later met
each each other and married and had a kid or two before going south. I think
it was similar with Dad's parents, coming from Lithuania but landing somewhere
on the East Coast where my grandfather worked in the mines and my grandmother
worked in the fabric mills and somehow met each other in Lowell, MA.
..
>> They probably brought their own haggis.

If ever offered me, I will try haggis once.

>Aye, they may have! They always did go doon to the Scottish Rite Cathedral
>on Rabbie Burns' birthday to see the piping of the haggis.

Wrong nationality, but we have a friend who gives a St. Pat's party every year
with pipers.
Reg

Victor Sack wrote:

> Comprehensive lists of menus, wines, etc. served on the Titanic can be
> found at <http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/food.htm>.

There's even a cookbook. Might be an interesting study in Edwardian
cuisine.

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/078686303X/qid=1088295180/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3815123-3125615?v=glance&s=books>

jmcquown

Reg wrote:
> Victor Sack wrote:
>
>> Comprehensive lists of menus, wines, etc. served on the Titanic can
>> be
>> found at <http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/food.htm>.

> There's even a cookbook. Might be an interesting study in Edwardian
> cuisine.

<http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg...1088295180/sr=
1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3815123-3125615?v=glance&s=books>

Fascinating; but I'm a devotee of the clothing of the era. I want that silk
gown and beaded overdress! Okay, I'll settle for the cookbook. Dammit

Jill

Wayne

"jmcquown" > wrote in
:

> Reg wrote:
>> Victor Sack wrote:
>>
>>> Comprehensive lists of menus, wines, etc. served on the Titanic can
>>> be
>>> found at <http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/food.htm>.

>> There's even a cookbook. Might be an interesting study in Edwardian
>> cuisine.
>>

> <http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg.../qid=108829518
> 0/sr= 1-1/ref=sr_1_1/002-3815123-3125615?v=glance&s=books>
>
> Fascinating; but I'm a devotee of the clothing of the era. I want
> that silk gown and beaded overdress! Okay, I'll settle for the
> cookbook. Dammit
>
> Jill

Jill, I was certain you cooked this way on weekends, and served it
dressed accordingly, overdress and all! :-)

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Nancy Young

Wayne wrote:

> "jmcquown" > wrote in

> > that silk gown and beaded overdress! Okay, I'll settle for the
> > cookbook. Dammit

> Jill, I was certain you cooked this way on weekends, and served it
> dressed accordingly, overdress and all! :-)

Pfft, Jill wouldn't know a fork from a spoon.

nancy (laughing)
Wayne

Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DE376A.4C9757E5
@monmouth.com:

> Wayne wrote:
>>
>> "jmcquown" > wrote in

>> > that silk gown and beaded overdress! Okay, I'll settle for the
>> > cookbook. Dammit

>> Jill, I was certain you cooked this way on weekends, and served it
>> dressed accordingly, overdress and all! :-)

> Pfft, Jill wouldn't know a fork from a spoon.
>
> nancy (laughing)

Heh, another image shattered! <G>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
Katra

In article .net>,
"Gregory Morrow" > wrote:

> Katra wrote:
>
> > Breakfast usually consists of 2 eggs and a couple of bites of some
> > veggie. That stuffs me!

> Even when Sheldon stays over...??? <winkwink>

When Shel' stays over, it's usually a late lunch..... ;-D

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

jmcquown

Wayne wrote:
> Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DE376A.4C9757E5
> @monmouth.com:
>
>> Wayne wrote:
>>>
>>> "jmcquown" > wrote in

>>> Jill, I was certain you cooked this way on weekends, and served it
>>> dressed accordingly, overdress and all! :-)

>> Pfft, Jill wouldn't know a fork from a spoon.
>>
>> nancy (laughing)
>>

> Heh, another image shattered! <G>

She doesn't know what she's talking about. I use a fork all the time - like
with Jell-O. And I often use a spoon to eat steak. Nancy is a silly woman

Jill

Wayne

"jmcquown" > wrote in
news
> Wayne wrote:
>> Nancy Young > wrote in news:40DE376A.4C9757E5
>> @monmouth.com:

>>> Pfft, Jill wouldn't know a fork from a spoon.
>>>
>>> nancy (laughing)
>>>

>> Heh, another image shattered! <G>

> She doesn't know what she's talking about. I use a fork all the time
> - like with Jell-O. And I often use a spoon to eat steak. Nancy is a
> silly woman
>

> Jill

Oh, well then, I can see you've got it all together! <g>

--
Wayne in Phoenix

If there's a nit to pick, some nitwit will pick it.
jmcquown

Victor Sack wrote:
> Reg > wrote:
>
>> This is the meal served in the first class dining room of the
>> Titanic the night of April 14, 1912, all ten courses worth. Not
>> a bad way to go out of this world.

> Comprehensive lists of menus, wines, etc. served on the Titanic can be
> found at <http://www.euronet.nl/users/keesree/food.htm>.
>
> Victor

Interesting - they had a huge ice maker and then ran into huge ice. Hmmmm.

On a side note, my former fiance, Ray, built the Titanic exhibit in Memphis
1996. Well, he and his construction crew did. Interesting thing to have on
your resume.

Jill

Tara

On Sat, 26 Jun 2004 18:27:54 -0400, Nancy Young >
wrote:

>Gregory Morrow wrote:

>> It's like a comedian once said about cruises: "If you hate people on
>> land....". Being in a constant crowd scene would drive me nuts...especially
>> in the forced camaraderie of a cruise ship. I don't like guest houses for
>> the same reason...having to get up in the morning and having to play nice
>> with a bunch of strangers in the breakfast room. Give me a hotel and room
>> service any day :-]

>I know! Be there by five, dressed up. Hello, I'm on vacation. I've
>been out all day, I don't need you telling me when to eat and when to
>have my picture taken. Last I heard they are going away from that
>scenario.

We took a cruise for our honeymoon five years ago. At first, we tried
to participate in all the "fun", trying to get the most out of the
experience. That got old. The best day on our cruise was the day I
decided to opt out of all the activities and sit by the pool, look out
at the water, read, and drink mimosas all day.

We took a cruise because I had worn myself out making every piddly
little decision for our wedding. I didn't want to make a single more
decision. I wanted to get married, get on a big boat, and get taken
care of.

Tara
John D. Misrahi

>Sounds about right. And quite representative of that age where the rich
>could poke gold forks at vast amounts of lavishly prepared food and waste
>almost all of it while below them in stearage were 2000 immigrants who were
>coming to the New World to escape starvation. The Gilded Age indeed.
>
>Paul

It doesnt sound that different from today..Substitute 'europe and north
america' for first class...and 'africa, latin america, southeast asia etc..
' for steerage...We waste a terrible amount of food in the west.

john

Reg

John D. Misrahi wrote:

> It doesnt sound that different from today..Substitute 'europe and north
> america' for first class...and 'africa, latin america, southeast asia etc..
> ' for steerage...We waste a terrible amount of food in the west.

I can't tell you how many times I've tried donating perfectly good
food I can't use to various needy groups. It's almost impossible because of
regulations and liability. It's extremely difficult in the SF bay area
to give away prepared food.

It dosn't make a whole lot of sense. These are people who are otherwise
eating out of a dumpster.

Katra

In article >,
Reg > wrote:

> John D. Misrahi wrote:
>
> > It doesnt sound that different from today..Substitute 'europe and north
> > america' for first class...and 'africa, latin america, southeast asia etc..
> > ' for steerage...We waste a terrible amount of food in the west.

> I can't tell you how many times I've tried donating perfectly good
> food I can't use to various needy groups. It's almost impossible because of
> regulations and liability. It's extremely difficult in the SF bay area
> to give away prepared food.
>
> It dosn't make a whole lot of sense. These are people who are otherwise
> eating out of a dumpster.

Just give the food directly to the people that need it...
That's what I do. There is a local poor family that I've sort of
"adopted" and help them out on a regular basis. They do yard and home
improvement work for me in exchange. :-)

Works for both of us.

K.

--
Sprout the Mung Bean to reply...

Boron Elgar

On Sun, 27 Jun 2004 19:40:34 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>John D. Misrahi wrote:
>
>> It doesnt sound that different from today..Substitute 'europe and north
>> america' for first class...and 'africa, latin america, southeast asia etc..
>> ' for steerage...We waste a terrible amount of food in the west.

>I can't tell you how many times I've tried donating perfectly good
>food I can't use to various needy groups. It's almost impossible because of
>regulations and liability. It's extremely difficult in the SF bay area
>to give away prepared food.

If you are in a commercial operation, it is easy to do through certain
organizations.
http://www.secondharvest.org/site_content.asp?s=364

>It dosn't make a whole lot of sense. These are people who are otherwise
>eating out of a dumpster.

No, it doesn't, but if you work closely with a food pantry or with
organization, they might be able to help you.

Boron
Nancy Young

"John D. Misrahi" wrote:

> >I can't tell you how many times I've tried donating perfectly good
> >food I can't use to various needy groups. It's almost impossible because of
> >regulations and liability. It's extremely difficult in the SF bay area
> >to give away prepared food.
> >
> >It dosn't make a whole lot of sense. These are people who are otherwise
> >eating out of a dumpster.
> >
> >Reg

> I totally agree. Here there is a chain of all you can eat buffets that
> donates every day food left in the steam trays, salad bars etc to a soup
> kitchen /homeless shelter. The stuff they bring is still quite fresh, just
> 'unwanted ' and I know one of the guys inolved, they are doing a really good
> service.

That's what Second Harvest does. Same with the casinos in Atlantic
City, I'm sure elsewhere as well. Here, I think the question is, is
Reg talking about restaurant food prepared in an approved kitchen,
or food from his house. I can see why regulations would not allow
food from someone's kitchen. It is a waste. If it's restaurant food
and the city won't allow a Second Harvest collection, shame on them.

nancy
John D. Misrahi

We waste a terrible amount of food in the west.

>I can't tell you how many times I've tried donating perfectly good
>food I can't use to various needy groups. It's almost impossible because of
>regulations and liability. It's extremely difficult in the SF bay area
>to give away prepared food.
>
>It dosn't make a whole lot of sense. These are people who are otherwise
>eating out of a dumpster.
>
>--
>Reg email: RegForte (at) (that free MS email service) (dot) com

I totally agree. Here there is a chain of all you can eat buffets that
donates every day food left in the steam trays, salad bars etc to a soup
kitchen /homeless shelter. The stuff they bring is still quite fresh, just
'unwanted ' and I know one of the guys inolved, they are doing a really good
service.

John