Staycalm

Default Ramekins

How often do use yours? And what for?
Are they a must-have item for a cook?

Liz

Andy

Staycalm wrote:

> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

I just use 'em for dips, salsa, guac, etc.

Andy
http://tinyurl.com/dzl7h
Debbie

"Andy" <q> wrote in message
| Staycalm wrote:
|
| > How often do use yours? And what for?
| > Are they a must-have item for a cook?
| >
| > Liz
|

| I just use 'em for dips, salsa, guac, etc.

Here to. I also use them to heat up small portions of foods in the oven or
microwave and for individual flans and puddings. hmmm.. think I will make
the carrot flan recipe this w/e. Good time of year for savoury flans. I
have a buttercup squash pudding recipe that would be nice about now too.
:-)

Debbie

Dave Smith

Staycalm wrote:

> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

I use them often enough that they are worth having.

kilikini

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

I miss mine terribly! I had 3 different sizes and I used them for just
about everything, everyday. Melted butter. Chopped onions. Salsa.
Guacamole. Dips. Shredded cheese for potatoes. I had so many that I'd use
them for prepping when I was cooking - then you just add as you go. I'd get
more if I just had any kind of cabinet space to put them in. (Keep trying
to talk the hubby into building me some sort of pantry, but he isn't going
for it. Sigh.)

kili

Kat

I use mine all of the time, but not always what they were intended to be
used for
I have little kids, and they are the perfect size for the kids to bake their
own cakes. We have made mini pumpkin pies in them as well as baked apple
slices.
I also use them to serve salsa and dips. W/ my kids, I prefer for each
person to have their own serving than to serve from the same pot. Double
dipping and all that lol

Lets see ... we have also used them for craft projects, to sort beads by
color shape and size, to hold finger paint (we make our own food based
finger paint, so no harsh chemicals to worry about) ...
well, you get the idea ... I really do use them all the time, they pretty
much never get put away.

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

Bob

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

Sometimes for the salsa, cocktail sauce type things as others have mentioned
but primarily for Creme Brulee ... yum. Sadly, that's only a couple times a
month.

Bob

Bob Terwilliger

Liz wrote:

> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

Sometimes I use them to hold my mise en place ingredients. I mainly use
them for bread pudding, pots de creme, or individual souffles.

Bob

~patches~

Staycalm wrote:

> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

I don't have ramekins DD does and uses them fairly often. I think
they end up getting used more for holding dips than actual cooking.
Nancy Young

"~patches~" > wrote in message
> Staycalm wrote:
>
>> How often do use yours? And what for?
>> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

> I don't have ramekins DD does and uses them fairly often. I think
> they end up getting used more for holding dips than actual cooking.

They are just the right size for a lot of stuff, like say I want some
cashews, I can just bring up a little in a small ramekin instead of
the whole bag, which I will proceed to polish off, by the way.
Just stuff like that, I'm not really big on custards and whatnot.

They are great for melted butter if you're having crablegs or
whatever. I would think the larger ones would be great for
dip. Handy little things.

nancy

Stan Horwitz

In article > ,
"Staycalm" > wrote:

> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

I have managed to muddle along fine without a set of ramekins. Ramekins
used to serve or cook small baked items such as flan and other custard
type dishes. If you don't think you need a set of ramekins, don't buy
them.
~patches~

Debbie wrote:

> "Andy" <q> wrote in message
> | Staycalm wrote:
> |
> | > How often do use yours? And what for?
> | > Are they a must-have item for a cook?
> | >
> | > Liz
> |

> | I just use 'em for dips, salsa, guac, etc.
> |

> Here to. I also use them to heat up small portions of foods in the oven or
> microwave and for individual flans and puddings. hmmm.. think I will make
> the carrot flan recipe this w/e. Good time of year for savoury flans. I
> have a buttercup squash pudding recipe that would be nice about now too.
> :-)
>
> Debbie

Oh, oh, oh, could you please share your buttercup squash pudding recipe?
I have lots of squash right now. Thanks
Debbie

"~patches~" > wrote in message
| Debbie wrote:
|
| > "Andy" <q> wrote in message
| > | Staycalm wrote:
| > |
> [...]
| > |
| > |
| > | I just use 'em for dips, salsa, guac, etc.
| > |

| > Here to. I also use them to heat up small portions of foods in the oven
or
| > microwave and for individual flans and puddings. hmmm.. think I will
make
| > the carrot flan recipe this w/e. Good time of year for savoury flans.
| > have a buttercup squash pudding recipe that would be nice about now too.
| > :-)
| >
| > Debbie
| >

| Oh, oh, oh, could you please share your buttercup squash pudding recipe?
| I have lots of squash right now. Thanks

Butternut Squash Pudding
Chef Jun Husogoe

Serves 20 (5ox servings)

Pudding

1 L cooked, mashed butternut squash
300 g sugar (adjust for the sweetness of the squash)
10 med sized eggs
450 ml 2% milk
450 ml of 35% cream

Caramel Sauce

25- g sugar
170 ml cold water

Directions

Add the sugar to the cooked squash and mix well. Add the eggs and mix.
Heat the milk and cream until it is body temperature and add to the squash
mixture. Mix well and taste. Add more sugar if necessary. Pass through a
chinois (china cap). Set aside.

Place 150 g sugar in a pot with 100 ml of the cold water. Cook on high,
stirring occasionally until it is a golden caramel colour. Remove from
heat. Add 70 ml of cold water into the pot very slowly, stirring
continously. Place 1 Tbsp into ramekins and refrigerate for about 15-20
mins.

After the caramel is chilled, fill the ramekins with the squash mixture.
Place the ramekins in a deep pan. Fill pan with warm water, to a level half
way up the sides of the dishes. Bake at 350 for 1-1.5 hours. Turn the tray
every 30 minutes to allow even cooking.

Serve cold with fresh berries and whipped cream.

Debbie

Mamma Mia

i have served individual fruit crumbles in them.... mmmmmmm
crumble............

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> How often do use yours? And what for?
> Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
> Liz

Julian Macassey

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:55:35 +1000, Staycalm
> wrote:
> How often do use yours? And what for?

I use mine for pate, baking small itms, putting minced
veggies in prior to cooking etc.

> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

I think so. I think the best ones are made from "Corning
Ware" (Pyrosil in the UK), after that, porcelan ones are good.

--
Curiosity is one of the most permanent and certain characteristics of
a vigorous intellect. - Samuel Johnson

Dave Smith

Stan Horwitz wrote:

> > How often do use yours? And what for?
> > Are they a must-have item for a cook?

> I have managed to muddle along fine without a set of ramekins. Ramekins=

> used to serve or cook small baked items such as flan and other custard
> type dishes. If you don't think you need a set of ramekins, don't buy
> them.

I don't doubt that some people could live their lives quite happily witho=
ut
every seeing a ramekin dish. I happen to like a number of things that are=

cooked in them, like creme brulee and creme caramel, little seafood
souffl=E9s etc., so it is handy to have a set of them. Since I already ha=
ve
them, they come in handy for all sorts of things, like nuts, candies, jam=
and jellies, desserts, sauces etc. They are so handy for so many differen=
things that they border on necessities.

Staycalm

"Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> Staycalm wrote:
>
>> How often do use yours? And what for?
>> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

> I use them often enough that they are worth having.

What do you use them for?

Dee Randall

"Staycalm" > wrote in message
u...
> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
>> Staycalm wrote:
>>
>>> How often do use yours? And what for?
>>> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

>> I use them often enough that they are worth having.
>>

> What do you use them for?

I put several ramekins on a wooden lazy susan placed on the dining table in
which I place several kinds of 'especially good' honey. These jars get sooo
sticky and I don't care to clean up the goo everyday, nor the
table/tablecloth. Also I place a pepper grinder in one of them on this lazy
susan so that the pepper that falls out of the shaker will be contained in
the ramekin. I will place a soy sauce bottle in one of them to keep the
leaks from getting on the table, same for hot pepper sauces, the likes of
Tabasco -- and so on ---
Dee Dee

Crouching Nun, Hidden Cucumber

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:55:35 +1000, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>How often do use yours?

Pretty regularly.They're good for individual servings.

>And what for?

Little guinness pies, brulee's, souffles and anything that
needs small individual servings of strong flavoured food.
Also things like dips and nibblies like potted chili prawns
work well in them.

I've got a couple of sets of differing sizes, the biggest
size is just perfect to stick a whole small brie cheese in.I
poke holes in the top, stick slivers of garlic and green
peppercorns in (from a tin), add a splash of white wine over
the top, cover with foil and bake until the cheese melts in
the middle.

Cut open and serve with baked potato wedges (kipflers work
excellent - they stay solid enough to hold the sticky
cheese) and a big red.

Pure indulgence!

>Are they a must-have item for a cook?

I wondered that about all our kitchen stuff when we moved
house recently.So we kept most of the dishes and food toys
in boxes until we needed them.After 6 weeks, the kitchen
boxes are all empty!

I think a good rule is that if you have it, you'll find an
excuse to use it B^D

Unfortunately for the cupboard space, another rule seems to
be that if you dont have, you'll find an excuse to get it.
Dave Smith

Staycalm wrote:

> "Dave Smith" > wrote in message
> > Staycalm wrote:
> >
> >> How often do use yours? And what for?
> >> Are they a must-have item for a cook?

> > I use them often enough that they are worth having.
> >

> What do you use them for?

Small souffl=E9s, creme brulee, creme caramel, for serving jams
and jellies, nut or candy dishes, for sauces and condiments.
They are a handy size for lots of things.

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Mon, 26 Sep 2005 21:55:35 +1000, "Staycalm"
> wrote:

>How often do use yours? And what for?
>Are they a must-have item for a cook?
>
>Liz

I use them if I am preprepping,chopping onions, garlic, etc before
they go into the pan.

Rodney Myrvaagnes J 36 Gjo/a

Kansas--working to become a science-free zone