Mikey

Default Shrimp Eggs

I came across an Asian recipe that requires a teaspoon of shrimp eggs as
ingredient. Does anyone know where I can buy shrimp eggs for cooking
purpose? Thanks.

-Mikey
salgud

Have you tried your local Asian Market?

Sheldon

Mikey wrote:
> I came across an Asian recipe that requires a teaspoon of shrimp eggs

as
> ingredient. Does anyone know where I can buy shrimp eggs for

cooking
> purpose?

Please post the recipe.

Sheldon

Mikey

Sheldon wrote:
> Mikey wrote:
>
>>I came across an Asian recipe that requires a teaspoon of shrimp eggs

> as
>
>> ingredient. Does anyone know where I can buy shrimp eggs for

> cooking
>
>>purpose?

> Please post the recipe.
>
> Sheldon

I live in Boston, MA. I shop in Chinese markets very often. I have not
come across any shrimp eggs yet. I probably need to try harder to look
for them.

Here is the recipe:

Shao Mai are dumplings that often served in a Chinese brunch (Dim Sum).

-Mikey

Copied from http://www.Chinavoc.com
Pomegranate-Shaped Dumplings (Shao Mai)

Ingredients

4 1/2 cups (500 g) flour, sifted
2 egg whites
1 lb (500 g) lean boneless pork, beef or other meat, diced
5 oz (150 g) cooked meat, diced
3 1/2 tsp vegetable oil or lard
3 1/2 oz (100 g) canned bamboo shoots, diced
1 tsp shrimp eggs
1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
1 tsp rice wine
2 tbsp salt, or to taste
3 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
3 1/2 oz (100 ml)sesame oil
7 oz (200 ml) stock
1 tbsp MSG

Method

1. Mix flour with egg whites and water to make a firm dough,
following the directions for Recipe 170, "Sauteed Dumplings, Henan
Style." Divide the dough into 50 portions and each into a circle 5
inches (13 cm) in diameter. Stack 10 fine pieces, one on top of the
other. Flour lightly between each of the ten pieces. Press the end of
the rolling pin into the dough circularly to make 1 inch (25 mm) long
marks, and separate them to avoid sticking.

2. Heat the oil or lard in a wok until the oil surface ripples. Add
the cooked meat and bamboo shoots and stir-fry briefly. Add the shrimp
eggs, ginger, 1 tsp of the rice wine, 1 tsp of the salt, and 1/2 tsp of
the MSG. Continue to stir-fry 1 minute. Remove and cool. Mix the
uncooked meat with the remaining 1/2 tsp of MSG, 1 tsp of the rice wine,
1 tsp of the salt, soy sauce, sesame oil and a little water. Add the
bamboo shoots and cooked meat. Mix well. Divide the filling into 50
portions.

3. Take a pastry circle and place 1 portion of the filling in the
center. Pull up the edges of the pastry around the filling to make a
cylinder, leaving the top open so the filling is visible and the
dumpling resembles a pomegranate. repeat until all the dumplings are made.

4. Place the dumplings in a steamer and steam for 5 minutes over
high heat. Sprinkle with the stock and continue to steam until cooked
through. Remove and serve.

Sheldon

Mikey wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
> > Mikey wrote:
> >
> >>I came across an Asian recipe that requires a teaspoon of shrimp

eggs

> > as
> >
> >> ingredient. Does anyone know where I can buy shrimp eggs for

> > cooking
> >
> >>purpose?

> > Please post the recipe.
> >
> > Sheldon
> >

> I live in Boston, MA. I shop in Chinese markets very often. I have

not
> come across any shrimp eggs yet. I probably need to try harder to

look
> for them.
>

> Here is the recipe:
>
> Shao Mai are dumplings that often served in a Chinese brunch (Dim

Sum).

> -Mikey
>
> Copied from http://www.Chinavoc.com
> Pomegranate-Shaped Dumplings (Shao Mai)
>
> Ingredients
>
> 4 1/2 cups (500 g) flour, sifted
> 2 egg whites
> 1 lb (500 g) lean boneless pork, beef or other meat, diced
> 5 oz (150 g) cooked meat, diced
> 3 1/2 tsp vegetable oil or lard
> 3 1/2 oz (100 g) canned bamboo shoots, diced
> 1 tsp shrimp eggs
> 1 tbsp fresh ginger, chopped
> 1 tsp rice wine
> 2 tbsp salt, or to taste
> 3 1/2 tbsp soy sauce
> 3 1/2 oz (100 ml)sesame oil
> 7 oz (200 ml) stock
> 1 tbsp MSG

This recipe is stupid/fake... what's with "5 oz cooked meat", I got yer
meat, SCHWINGIN'... you are an idiot and a TROLL.

Sheldon

aem

Mikey wrote:

> I live in Boston, MA. I shop in Chinese markets very often. I have
> not come across any shrimp eggs yet. I probably need to try harder
> to look for them.
>
> Here is the recipe:
>
> Shao Mai are dumplings that often served in a Chinese brunch (Dim
> Sum).

> Copied from http://www.Chinavoc.com

> Pomegranate-Shaped Dumplings (Shao Mai)
> [snip the recipe]

Shrimp eggs are more often called "shrimp roe." Try asking by that
name at the Chinese markets you go to. Or look on-line using it.

Nothing wrong with your recipe, by the way, except that like most dim
sum it's really labor intensive. If you want to make it before you
find shrimp roe, you could substitute dried shrimp from your Chinese
market. I would not substitute shrimp paste, especially the Thai kind,
because that's a much stronger flavor. -aem

Nobody

I think you want to change this to 1 tsp MSG, rather than 1 tbsp, unless you
want to end up in the hospital...

"aem" > wrote in message
oups.com...
> Mikey wrote:
>>
>> I live in Boston, MA. I shop in Chinese markets very often. I have
>> not come across any shrimp eggs yet. I probably need to try harder
>> to look for them.
>>
>> Here is the recipe:
>>
>> Shao Mai are dumplings that often served in a Chinese brunch (Dim
>> Sum).

>> Copied from http://www.Chinavoc.com

>> Pomegranate-Shaped Dumplings (Shao Mai)
>> [snip the recipe]

> Shrimp eggs are more often called "shrimp roe." Try asking by that
> name at the Chinese markets you go to. Or look on-line using it.
>
> Nothing wrong with your recipe, by the way, except that like most dim
> sum it's really labor intensive. If you want to make it before you
> find shrimp roe, you could substitute dried shrimp from your Chinese
> market. I would not substitute shrimp paste, especially the Thai kind,
> because that's a much stronger flavor. -aem

aem

Nobody wrote:
> I think you want to change this to 1 tsp MSG, rather than 1 tbsp,
> unless you want to end up in the hospital...

Well, it can be eliminated altogether if you fear that one of the
guests will be among the tiny fraction of people who are actually
affected by msg. On the other hand, this recipe is for 50 dumplings,
and 1/50th of 1 TB is not a heckuva lot. -aem

Mikey

Sheldon wrote:

> This recipe is stupid/fake... what's with "5 oz cooked meat", I got yer
> meat, SCHWINGIN'... you are an idiot and a TROLL.
>
> Sheldon

Well, I believe there is an translation problem in these site. The
cooked meat is Chinese ham. If you know anything about Chinese cooking,
you probably can guess it. You are the idiot! Idiot.

-Mikey
Sheldon

Mikey six toes wrote:
> Sheldon wrote:
>
> > This recipe is stupid/fake... what's with "5 oz cooked meat", I got

yer
> > meat, SCHWINGIN'... you are an idiot and a TROLL.
> >

> Well, I believe there is an translation problem in these site. The
> cooked meat is Chinese ham.

Chinese ham... must be those six toed redneck Chinese.

Sheldon

aem

Sheldon wrote:
> Mikey six toes wrote:
> > Sheldon wrote:
> >
> > > This recipe is stupid/fake... what's with "5 oz cooked meat", I

got
> yer
> > > meat, SCHWINGIN'... you are an idiot and a TROLL.
> > >

> > Well, I believe there is an translation problem in these site. The
> > cooked meat is Chinese ham.

> Chinese ham... must be those six toed redneck Chinese.

Oh shut up, Sheldon. Remember the Rule of Holes. -aem

Mikey

Sheldon wrote:
> Mikey six toes wrote:
>
>>Sheldon wrote:
>>

>>>This recipe is stupid/fake... what's with "5 oz cooked meat", I got

> yer
>
>>>meat, SCHWINGIN'... you are an idiot and a TROLL.
>>>

>>Well, I believe there is an translation problem in these site. The
>>cooked meat is Chinese ham.

> Chinese ham... must be those six toed redneck Chinese.
>
> Sheldon

Now I know why you responded this way. This is because you don't like
Chinese. What more can I say to a Chinese hater.

-Mikey
Mikey

Besides that one person, I want to thanks everyone responded to my post.
I always learn something new from this news group.

-Mikey
Lynn from Fargo

OK - I have three asian markets within walking distance. They all have
jars of this pink pasty stuff with lots of little black dots that are
about the size if the dot on a 10 point letter "i". They look like
teeeny teeeny shrimp. I will go look to see what the stuff is labeled.
Lynn in Fargo
(They also have pickled mudfish and fresh chicken feet.)

Blair P. Houghton

Lynn from Fargo > wrote:
>OK - I have three asian markets within walking distance. They all have
>jars of this pink pasty stuff with lots of little black dots that are
>about the size if the dot on a 10 point letter "i". They look like
>teeeny teeeny shrimp. I will go look to see what the stuff is labeled.

Sounds about right. Chirashi sushi sometimes has a little
pile of shrimp eggs in one corner, but sushi chefs sometimes
substitute pink granulated sugar.

--Blair
"Watch out for pink iced tea though."