Karen AKA Kajikit

Default What do you have for breakfast on the weekends?

Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
http://www.kajikitscorner.com
*remove 'nospam' to reply
Vox Humana

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

I love to have a nice, leisurely breakfast on Sunday. I make yeast raised
pancakes or waffle, biscuits, French toast with a variety of toppings like
escalloped apples or pears. Sometimes I make cinnamon rolls the night
before. I might have ham, creamed chipped beef, or eggs any number of way.
Juice, coffee, tea - Sometime I make a breakfast pizza. A large, late
breakfast means we don't have lunch and dinner is usually something light
like a big salad with grilled chicken, a sandwich, or a nice bowl of
homemade soup and some bread.

Richard Kaszeta

Karen AKA Kajikit > writes:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

Typically in our house, Saturday is waffles or pancakes, usually with
bacon. Sunday is either bagels at the local bagel place, or sometimes
we do a brunch at a local restaurant.

--
Richard W Kaszeta

http://www.kaszeta.org/rich
Dave Smith

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

I am a creature of habit when it comes to breakfast. when I was working I
used to have Shredded Wheat before leaving the house at 6:30 am. It took
me close to 10 years to get tired of that stuff but after I took and early
retirement I and had more time for breakfast I started having oatmeal
porridge.

My wife has a more substantial breakfast if she bothers to have breakfast
at all, usually some form of eggs, and sometimes with bacon and/ or
cheese.

We don't break the routing much on weekends because with two of retired
there really isn't much difference. The only snag is that I have a riding
lessons early on Sunday morning. I have the usual bowl of oatmeal before
heading off to the stables. She goes to church. I get home first, get
cleaned up and then cook a hearty brunch. I cook bacon and eggs for her
and have one or the other for myself. I make up a batch of pancakes,
waffles, biscuits or muffins.

Gal Called J.J.

One time on Usenet, Karen AKA Kajikit > said:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.

We're the same way -- the only one who gets any variety for
breakfast on weekdays is DS, 'cuz I still cook for him (he's
seven). He loves frozen things like Eggo's Nutrigrain Waffles
and French toast sticks.

> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

Aside from the tomato (I'm not a big fan), this sounds delicious!

DH is our weekend breakfast cook -- on Sundays he makes homemade
waffles, pancakes, baked eggs, etc. We don't seem to do a lot of
breakfast meats though, maybe because we have them for dinner on
weeknights (sausages or bacon with fried eggs & toast are fast
and yummy). My parents are coming for a visit in a couple of weeks,
so I'm going to try that Praline French Toast Casserole of Paula Deem's
that Sue posted yesterday; here's the link in case anyone missed it:

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/7318007/

--
J.J. in WA ~ mom, vid gamer, novice cook ~
"You still haven't explained why the pool is

Kate B

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

My SO has been away on business for several months so when he is in town I
tend to cook things I might normally not (translation: labor intensive). A
few weeks ago I made the Quiche Lorraine recipe from Thomas Keller's
relatively new cookbook "Bouchon". I love his "French Laundry Cookbook" for
making fancy party food/dinners but I can't think anyone would consider this
breakfast fare. I have made several recipes from the cozier "Bouchon"
cookbook, all of which were excellent, but the Quiche Lorraine was
absolutely fabulous! The best I have tasted in or out of France. It's a
fair amount of work but it's designed to be re-heated slice by slice. I
served it for breakfast but I enjoyed several excellent meals with it after
he left paired with a nice salad for dinner. I made this again for my
sister and her husband on a recent weekend for a Saturday breakfast.
Between the three of us it lasted, barely, till Monday morning and the two
later risers were very unhappy ;-). It actually didn't matter *much* if it
was re-heated in the oven or in the microwave but I ranted a wee bit when I
caught my sister microwaving it.

If you ever feel up to the time commitment I heartily recommend this recipe.
The quiche has a texture and flavor and lightness that is truly amazing and
completely addictive.

Kate

Andy

Karen,

Doesn't matter what I have for breakfast on weekends as long as I don't
have to cook it. I will hit the local restaurants since the weekend
population drops by about 25,000.

Weekday breakfast is fresh-squezzed OJ, and either shredded wheat w/no-
fat skim milk or a toasted bagel with muenster cheese (hand flattened
into a pancake, almost).

Sunday brunch (as I've posted) consists of:

1 cup coffee
1 cup grapefruit juice

2 pancakes w/butter and syrup

1 cup coffee

1 english muffin w/cream cheese
A few rashers of bacon
A few fat roasted breakfast sausages
Some garlic'd hash browns

1 cup coffee

Spinach, tomato and cheese omelette with parmesan on top and dotted with
Tabasco.

1 cup coffee

Wild rice, brocolli or asparagus (based on availability) and sweet and
sour chicken tenders.

1 cup coffee

Plate of 5 or 6 kiwi slices for desert to tame the palette, not the
tummy.

Then I return home and become a La-Z-Boy critial condition couch potato
for the rest of the day.

Andy

P.S. That was how I USED TO spend Sundays. --A
aem

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast. [snip]

One of the pleasures of retirement is that these distinctions
disappear. Breakfast is now determined by what we have in mind to do
that day, rather than by day of the week. Sometimes it's the big
pancake breakfast to fuel for an active day, sometimes it's coffee and
a bagel at the coffee place across the street from the library. -aem

Jim Davis

I can't resist...

I fondly recall (very faintly and growing fainter) having breakfast in
bed with the lovely partner (female) from the night before, dining on
each other, snoozing then going into the afternoon. The memory goes
dimmer.... My eyes grow damp.

Becca

Every morning I cook breakfast except on Saturday. On Saturday I will
have bagels, cinnamon rolls, cereal or anything else I do not have to
cook. On the other mornings, I cook omelets, pancakes, french toast,
biscuits, etc. On Saturday I give myself a break.

Becca

Stan Horwitz

In article >,
Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

For me, it depends on what my plans are that morning. Most weekday
mornings, I leave home for work around 7:00am. I typically stop by a
convenience store near home and pick up an egg, sausage and cheese
sandwich with a Diet Pepsi for breakfast on my daily commute. Today, I
had to attend a lecture off-site that required a 90 minute drive. I
still stopped and got my usual sausage and egg sandwich for breakfast. I
will probably make myself a sliced lox and cream cheese sandwich for
breakfast tomorrow (Friday) to eat on my way to work. I usually don't
have lox at home, but I bought some a few days ago as a treat.

This Saturday, I plan to attend a Mac programmer's SIG meeting with a
friend. The meeting starts at 10:30am so we'll probably get together for
breakfast at a diner near the meeting place prior to the meeting.

On Sunday morning, I expect to be on the road early to drive up to NYC
to meet some friends, so I will probably do my usual sausage and egg
sandwich with a Diet Pepsi to wash it down.
Sheldon

Becca wrote:
> Every morning I cook breakfast except on Saturday. On Saturday I

will
> have bagels, cinnamon rolls, cereal or anything else I do not have to

> cook. On the other mornings, I cook omelets, pancakes, french toast,

> biscuits, etc. On Saturday I give myself a break.
>
> Becca

With your voluptuous beauty I shoulda known you are Jewish.

Sheldon

Nexis

"Karen AKA Kajikit" > wrote in message
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

I have to tell you, breakfast has never been my favorite meal. It wasn't
until I *had* to eat it that I began to do so with any regularity.
Weekdays, especially when school is in session, it's usually hot cereal,
fruit and some kind of protein...peanut butter usually. Weekends it's a bit
more. I am a big fan of fruit, but can't have as much as I'd like, so this
is when I have mine! We have pancakes occasionally, malted Belgian waffles
more often, and once in a while I'll make a puffed pancake type of deal.
Served with fresh berries whenever I can get them. Add to that some turkey
sausage or thick sliced bacon, and maybe some scrambled eggs. Never
potatoes, can't do it.

kimberly

Mash

Actually, during the week it's cereal, toast, juice, etc. I do freeze
extra pancakes, waffles and the like to reheat and eat during the week.
The school bus picks up the kids around 7 a.m.

On the weekends, I usually fix waffles, pancakes, coffeecakes, eggs,
etc.

Mary

Sheldon wrote:
> Becca wrote:
> > Every morning I cook breakfast except on Saturday. On Saturday I

> will
> > have bagels, cinnamon rolls, cereal or anything else I do not have

> > cook. On the other mornings, I cook omelets, pancakes, french

toast,

> > biscuits, etc. On Saturday I give myself a break.
> >
> > Becca

> With your voluptuous beauty I shoulda known you are Jewish.
>
> Sheldon

Serene

On Saturdays, I go to Guy's and cook him whatever he wants, which is
usually bacon-and-something. Often french toast. But sometimes he's
not hungry for breakfast, so I make potatoes and green peppers (which he
won't eat) for myself.

On Fridays and Sundays (I don't work outside the home on Fridays), I
make breakfast, which can be tofu scramble, or potatoes and eggs, or
quiche, or pancakes, or french toast, or whatever I'm in the mood to
make. In the winter, I'm usually low-energy, so lately, I've been
making O'Brien potatoes or toast, and letting James eat cottage cheese
for his protein.

Oh, and Carin and I often eat hot cereal, which James won't touch.

serene

-L.

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I

go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit

DH likes a big breakfast on the weekends. Scrambled eggs with cheese,
some meat (sausage, ham or pork steak), pancakes and juice. I prefer
cottage cheese with banana, cinnamon toast and iced tea. DS likes
Cheerios, peach yogurt and diced pears. But he's pretty easy to please.

When I was little my Dad used to make baked eggs - butter the inside of
a muffin tin, add a T of milk to each, and crack an egg inside. Bake
until done. They had a huge family (13 kids) so this was one way they
were able to easily make eggs for everyone. He also made biscuits from
scratch and pancakes and waffles to die for. (I miss ya, Daddy!)

-L.

Doug Weller

On Thu, 31 Mar 2005 16:14:14 GMT, in rec.food.cooking, Vox Humana wrote:

> I make yeast raised
>pancakes or waffle,

What's your favorite yeast raised pancake recipe?

Thanks
Doug
--
Doug Weller -- exorcise the demon to reply
Doug & Helen's Dogs http://www.dougandhelen.com

jmcquown

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote:
> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

I love a fluffy spinach-cheese omelette. With a tall glass of skimmed milk
and a small glass of grapefruit juice.

Jill

A.C.

Karen AKA Kajikit wrote

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

mmmmm my favorite weekend breakfast is eggs scrambled with caramelized
onions and mushroom, a couple of slices of crispy fried liver mush and some
scratch buttermilk biscuits with coffee!

Ranee Mueller

In article >, Karen AKA
Kajikit > wrote:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

Saturdays are the only days we aren't heading out the door in the
morning, so we usually save big breakfasts for then. Rich makes waffles
or pancakes, or I make some sort of hash brown casserole, or we make egg
burritoes, or fry up some bacon, scramble some eggs with cheese and make
scones. Whatever we feel like. Sundays, we eat cold or hot cereal,
yogurt and fruit before heading out to church.

Regards,
Ranee

--
Remove Do Not and Spam to email

See my Blog at: http://arabianknits.blogspot.com/

Wayne Boatwright

On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in rec.food.cooking:

Most Saturdays we catch a bite of breakfast at a local restaurant amidst the
weekly shopping and errands.

We have a late breakfast on Sundays after church. It might be omeletted or
eggs o/e with home fries and bacon or sausage, usually with biscuits or
English muffins. If not eggs in some form, then pancakes or waffles.

This Sunday we're having waffles with a fresh berry mix and a splash of
blackberry cordial, along with peameal bacon that a friend shipped from
Canada.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> This Sunday we're having waffles with a fresh berry mix and a splash
> of blackberry cordial, along with peameal bacon that a friend
> shipped from Canada.

That peameal bacon stuff is addictive...be careful.

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Wayne Boatwright

On Fri 01 Apr 2005 06:13:45p, Monsur Fromage du Pollet wrote in
rec.food.cooking:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :
>
>> This Sunday we're having waffles with a fresh berry mix and a splash
>> of blackberry cordial, along with peameal bacon that a friend
>> shipped from Canada.
>>

> That peameal bacon stuff is addictive...be careful.

LOL! I agree. I only get it in carefully measured doses!

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Ophelia

"Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in rec.food.cooking:
>
> Most Saturdays we catch a bite of breakfast at a local restaurant amidst
> the
> weekly shopping and errands.
>
> We have a late breakfast on Sundays after church. It might be omeletted
> or
> eggs o/e with home fries and bacon or sausage, usually with biscuits or
> English muffins. If not eggs in some form, then pancakes or waffles.
>
> This Sunday we're having waffles with a fresh berry mix and a splash of
> blackberry cordial, along with peameal bacon that a friend shipped from
> Canada.

Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy. Please
can you tell me what it means?

Ophelia
Scotland

Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 02 Apr 2005 05:15:03a, Ophelia wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
>> rec.food.cooking:
>>
>> Most Saturdays we catch a bite of breakfast at a local restaurant
>> amidst the weekly shopping and errands.
>>
>> We have a late breakfast on Sundays after church. It might be
>> omeletted or eggs o/e with home fries and bacon or sausage, usually
>> with biscuits or English muffins. If not eggs in some form, then
>> pancakes or waffles.
>>
>> This Sunday we're having waffles with a fresh berry mix and a splash of
>> blackberry cordial, along with peameal bacon that a friend shipped from
>> Canada.

> Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy.
> Please can you tell me what it means?
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

You probably have another name for it. It's a fried egg, turned when the
white is fairly solid, then fried a bit more. When served, the yolk
should still be runny. Actually, I prefer my "over medium", with the yolk
still somewhat runny, but a thicker consistency. The object, of course,
is to not break the yolk in the cooking process.

HTH

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Melba's Jammin'

In article >, "Ophelia"
> wrote:

> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
> > rec.food.cooking:

(snip) Ophelia now inquires about eggs:
> Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy. Please
> can you tell me what it means?
>
> Ophelia
> Scotland

Cooked on both sides, in a skillet. The egg is cracked into the waiting
hot, lightly greased skillet, cooked over medium heat until the white is
cooked (though it may still be quite loose near the yolk. A spatula is
then slipped carefully beneath the egg to turn it over for final cooking
-- I leave mine for less than a minute. The turning procedure is done
again, this time to a waiting plate for consumption. Easy over - or
over easy - means the yolk should still be runny but hot/warm so that
one's toast may be dipped into it. Salt & pepper optional, but a little
bit of salt is a nice enhancement.

An egg "sunny side up" doesn't get turned, AFAIK. I don't eat mine like
that; I would expect that the skillet time would be slow and low so the
white would cook and the yolk would get at least warm.

Basted eggs are prepared in a skillet laden with bacon grease (or other
flavorful fat, I guess) and not turned, either; the egg is basted with
the hot fat from the skillet until the film over the yolk turns opaque.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Chutney Chicken pic added 4-1-05.
Wayne Boatwright

On Sat 02 Apr 2005 08:09:34a, Melba's Jammin' wrote in rec.food.cooking:

> In article >, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
>> "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
>> > On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
>> > rec.food.cooking: (snip) Ophelia now inquires about eggs:

>> Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy.
>> Please can you tell me what it means?
>>
>> Ophelia
>> Scotland

> Cooked on both sides, in a skillet. The egg is cracked into the waiting
> hot, lightly greased skillet, cooked over medium heat until the white is
> cooked (though it may still be quite loose near the yolk. A spatula is
> then slipped carefully beneath the egg to turn it over for final cooking
> -- I leave mine for less than a minute. The turning procedure is done
> again, this time to a waiting plate for consumption. Easy over - or
> over easy - means the yolk should still be runny but hot/warm so that
> one's toast may be dipped into it. Salt & pepper optional, but a little
> bit of salt is a nice enhancement.
>
> An egg "sunny side up" doesn't get turned, AFAIK. I don't eat mine like
> that; I would expect that the skillet time would be slow and low so the
> white would cook and the yolk would get at least warm.
>
> Basted eggs are prepared in a skillet laden with bacon grease (or other
> flavorful fat, I guess) and not turned, either; the egg is basted with
> the hot fat from the skillet until the film over the yolk turns opaque.

Great descriptions, Barb.

--
Wayne Boatwright

Sam Goldwyn, 1882-1974
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote in
:

> Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
> quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
> to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
> eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
> On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
> two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
> the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
> sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!
> ~Karen aka Kajikit
> Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life
> http://www.kajikitscorner.com
> *remove 'nospam' to reply

Well it's Saturday and I had for breakfat what I call a Deli-plate.

Several slices of the crockptted chuckie the roast (done last night for
lunch during next week),several slices of the crockpotted cottage roll
(done around tuesday for breakfast frying with eggs) and some cubed
cheeses (supermarket medium cheddar and Jack).

Type 2 Diabetic 1AC 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Continuing to be Manitoban
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Melba's Jammin' > wrote in
:

> In article >,
> "Ophelia" > wrote:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > > On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
> > > rec.food.cooking:

> (snip) Ophelia now inquires about eggs:
> > Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy.
> > Please can you tell me what it means?
> >
> > Ophelia
> > Scotland

> Cooked on both sides, in a skillet. The egg is cracked into the
> waiting hot, lightly greased skillet, cooked over medium heat until
> the white is cooked (though it may still be quite loose near the
> yolk. A spatula is then slipped carefully beneath the egg to turn
> it over for final cooking -- I leave mine for less than a minute.
> The turning procedure is done again, this time to a waiting plate
> for consumption. Easy over - or over easy - means the yolk should
> still be runny but hot/warm so that one's toast may be dipped into
> it. Salt & pepper optional, but a little bit of salt is a nice
> enhancement.
>
> An egg "sunny side up" doesn't get turned, AFAIK. I don't eat mine
> like that; I would expect that the skillet time would be slow and
> low so the white would cook and the yolk would get at least warm.
>
> Basted eggs are prepared in a skillet laden with bacon grease (or
> other flavorful fat, I guess) and not turned, either; the egg is
> basted with the hot fat from the skillet until the film over the
> yolk turns opaque.

Sometimes 'Sunny Eggs' are given a small splash of water and covered with
a lid to 'help' the yolk get warm.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban

AlleyGator

Karen AKA Kajikit > wrote:

>Weekdays my hubby has to be out the door at 7.30am so breakfast is a
>quick sandwich and a glass of juice - I don't have the time or energy
>to cook for him and it's too early in the morning for me to want to
>eat... but on the weekends I cook us a real breakfast.
>On Saturdays I make us a homemade breakfast sandwich with two eggs,
>two swiss cheese slices and a slice of canadian bacon. On Sundays I go
>the whole hog and do pancakes, eggs, and either bacon or breakfast
>sausages, sometimes with fried tomato or mushrooms as well. Yummy!

Today is my first real attempt at solid food in any than 3-bite
quantity in 2 weeks. Fixing small omlet - eggs seasoned with salt,
pepper, tarragon - added dried green pepper, onion and small amt
garlic. (I didn't feel like using real stuff, ok?). Filling is
leftover broccoli and new potatoes. Might add a small amt of cheese,
maybe swiss. Probably doesn't sound good to you, but if I can get it
to stay down, I'll be in heaven. 2 weeks on Ensure makes you
appreciate any real food. This will most likely be 2 meals. So the
answer is, my usual Saturday breakfast is an omlet, though usually a
lot better than this one.
maxine in ri

On Fri, 01 Apr 2005 13:41:06 -0800, Ranee Mueller
> connected the dots and wrote:

~In article >,
(Gal Called J.J.) wrote:
~
~> DH is our weekend breakfast cook -- on Sundays he makes homemade
~> waffles, pancakes, baked eggs, etc.
~
~ I wonder how common this is.
~
~ Regards,
~ Ranee (whose husband is also the weekend breakfast cook)

How common DH cooking on the weekend, or how common his menu items?

My DH does make waffles and pancakes from scratch using a recipe from
the American Woman's cookbook WWII version. He'll also of a morning
make french toast, or matzo brei, usually a double or quad recipe of
any of them, so that we have enough to freeze for toasting during the
week for breakfast. Mostly on the weekend, or when we have guests.

I admit, for weekend breakfasts, I'm much more laid back. Pull out
the spreads and breads, cereals and liquids, and heat the water for
tea and turn on the coffeemaker.

Same goes for vacuuming. He does it because I hate it. I do laundry
and cooking, cleaning and dinners.

maxine in ri
Curly Sue

My breakfast is the same all week: flakes, skim milk, a banana, and
tea.

I'll do weekend pancakes, sausage, omelettes, etc. maybe 5-6 times a
year, max.

Sue(tm)
biig

Melba's Jammin' wrote:

> In article >, "Ophelia"
> > wrote:
>
> > "Wayne Boatwright" > wrote in message
> > > On Thu 31 Mar 2005 08:57:31a, Karen AKA Kajikit wrote in
> > > rec.food.cooking:

> (snip) Ophelia now inquires about eggs:
> > Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy. Please
> > can you tell me what it means?
> >
> > Ophelia
> > Scotland

> Cooked on both sides, in a skillet. The egg is cracked into the waiting
> hot, lightly greased skillet, cooked over medium heat until the white is
> cooked (though it may still be quite loose near the yolk. A spatula is
> then slipped carefully beneath the egg to turn it over for final cooking
> -- I leave mine for less than a minute. The turning procedure is done
> again, this time to a waiting plate for consumption. Easy over - or
> over easy - means the yolk should still be runny but hot/warm so that
> one's toast may be dipped into it. Salt & pepper optional, but a little
> bit of salt is a nice enhancement.
>
> An egg "sunny side up" doesn't get turned, AFAIK. I don't eat mine like
> that; I would expect that the skillet time would be slow and low so the
> white would cook and the yolk would get at least warm.
>
> Basted eggs are prepared in a skillet laden with bacon grease (or other
> flavorful fat, I guess) and not turned, either; the egg is basted with
> the hot fat from the skillet until the film over the yolk turns opaque.
> --

It's also good, when frying an egg in just a "little" fat, to put
about a half a cup or less of water into the pan when the white is
mostly cooked and the yolk still raw, and quickly putting a lid over it
all until the tops of the eggs are cooked. Lots less grease and a nice
appearance.....Sharon

> -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Chutney Chicken pic added 4-1-05.
> "I read recipes the way I read science fiction: I get to the end and
> say,'Well, that's not going to happen.'" - Comedian Rita Rudner,
> performance at New York, New York, January 10, 2005.

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, biig > wrote:

> Melba's Jammin' wrote:

(snippage)

> > Basted eggs are prepared in a skillet laden with bacon grease (or other
> > flavorful fat, I guess) and not turned, either; the egg is basted with
> > the hot fat from the skillet until the film over the yolk turns opaque.
> > --

> It's also good, when frying an egg in just a "little" fat, to put
> about a half a cup or less of water into the pan when the white is
> mostly cooked and the yolk still raw, and quickly putting a lid over it
> all until the tops of the eggs are cooked. Lots less grease and a nice
> appearance.....Sharon

Yeah, that I HAVE done.
--
-Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Chutney Chicken pic added 4-1-05.
Monsur Fromage du Pollet

Dog3 > wrote in
1:

> Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
> :

> >> Yum that sounds lovely. BTW I keep seeing the term... over easy.
> >> Please can you tell me what it means?
> >>
> >> Ophelia
> >> Scotland

> > You probably have another name for it. It's a fried egg, turned
> > when the white is fairly solid, then fried a bit more. When
> > served, the yolk should still be runny. Actually, I prefer my
> > "over medium", with the yolk still somewhat runny, but a thicker
> > consistency. The object, of course, is to not break the yolk in
> > the cooking process.
> >
> > HTH
> >

> *sigh* Breakfast used to be eggs over medium, sausage or bacon,
> smothered hash browns and toast. Now it's fresh fruit and sometimes
> a piece of dry toast. I'm looking into egg beaters for fat and carb
> counts but the best I can do with them is scrambled or an omelet. No
> bacon/sausage or potatoes. It really sucks.
>
> Michael

Fresh Fruit is pretty carby....Have you thought about Ham?

My under 5 carb supper was 1/2 a rostissiried chicken with french cut
green beans and liberal butter and salt. My BP is 118/30 as of March 28th
way down from last year.

Omega eggs or flax fed eggs are chalk full of omega oils...good for you
oils. Raises your HDL's. Best talk to your nutritionist about them.

Have you got a meter yet? Get one...and use it.

Type 2 Diabetic Since Aug 2004
1AC- 7.2, 7.3, 5.5, 5.6 mmol
Weight from 265 down to 219 lbs. and dropping.
Continuing to be Manitoban
Serene

maxine in ri > wrote:

> How common DH cooking on the weekend, or how common his menu items?

Or how common calling one's husband DH?

serene
--
http://serenejournal.livejournal.com