wff_ng_6

Default A Good Oyster Knife...

A good oyster knife... is worth its weight in gold.

How many people shuck oysters themselves rather than buying them already
shucked in a glass jar? If you do, maybe you agree with the above statement.

This evening I walked myself down to the seafood market and bought myself
two dozen oysters in the shell for dinner. I haven't had any since last
spring. Luckily once you learn how to shuck oysters, the skill stays with
you. I know years ago it took me forever to get them shucked, now it goes
very fast.

A good oyster knife is critical. I've tried quite a few over the years,
looking for the perfect one. First I had a more or less "standard" one. I
knew I could do better. Then I got a German one, which although could get
any oyster open, had too short a blade to sever the oyster from the shell.
At least too short for the normal big oysters on the East Coast. Then I came
across a French one that usually got the oyster open, and had a long enough
blade to sever the oyster from the shell. That was my favorite for a while.
Unfortunately the tip was a bit fragile, so it tended to bend and break off.
The very tip of the German one broke off too.

Then one day in my small neighborhood hardware store, I came across yet
another design by the Ontario Knife Company. This one ended up being perfect
for me. It would open any oyster, was long enough to sever it from the
shell, and was very sturdy so the tip wouldn't break off. Knowing sometimes
you see something in a store, and then never see it again, I bought a few
extras for myself and my brother. That was a few years ago. I haven't messed
up the first one yet, so I still have three spares.

I looked for a web site for the Ontario Knife Company, and found it.
Apparently they don't make exactly the same knife I like any more, but they
still make a similar one. The ones I have have unfinished wood handles,
which I prefer, because they offer a secure grip on the knife as one rotates
it to pop open the oyster. The new ones have plastic handles. I'm not sure
that would be as good. Here's a picture of what they make now with the
plastic handle:

http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/i...rclamknife.jpg

Just my thoughts... wondering if anyone else shucks oysters.

JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms

lid (wff_ng_6) comments and offers:

http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/ind
>grknives/1055_oysterclamknife.jpg
>Just my thoughts... wondering if anyone
>else shucks oysters.

I grew up shucking mussels on the left coast for my dad and uncles that
were avid surf fishermen. You're right about once a shucker, always a
natural. My first time with oysters was just a few years ago, at a
local restaurant closed for New Years. Shucking the oysters for our
invitation only party was a natural for me, but eating just one of those
horrid, slimey critters was plenty. Thank goodness I was encouraged to
merely pop and swallow, else chewing it may have had me wretching (shut
up, Sheldon).

Picky ~JA~

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 04:24:45 GMT, "wff_ng_6"
> wrote:

>A good oyster knife... is worth its weight in gold.
>
>How many people shuck oysters themselves rather than buying them already
>shucked in a glass jar? If you do, maybe you agree with the above statement.
>
>This evening I walked myself down to the seafood market and bought myself
>two dozen oysters in the shell for dinner. I haven't had any since last
>spring. Luckily once you learn how to shuck oysters, the skill stays with
>you. I know years ago it took me forever to get them shucked, now it goes
>very fast.
>
>A good oyster knife is critical. I've tried quite a few over the years,
>looking for the perfect one. First I had a more or less "standard" one. I
>knew I could do better. Then I got a German one, which although could get
>any oyster open, had too short a blade to sever the oyster from the shell.
>At least too short for the normal big oysters on the East Coast. Then I came
>across a French one that usually got the oyster open, and had a long enough
>blade to sever the oyster from the shell. That was my favorite for a while.
>Unfortunately the tip was a bit fragile, so it tended to bend and break off.
>The very tip of the German one broke off too.
>
>Then one day in my small neighborhood hardware store, I came across yet
>another design by the Ontario Knife Company. This one ended up being perfect
>for me. It would open any oyster, was long enough to sever it from the
>shell, and was very sturdy so the tip wouldn't break off. Knowing sometimes
>you see something in a store, and then never see it again, I bought a few
>extras for myself and my brother. That was a few years ago. I haven't messed
>up the first one yet, so I still have three spares.
>
>I looked for a web site for the Ontario Knife Company, and found it.
>Apparently they don't make exactly the same knife I like any more, but they
>still make a similar one. The ones I have have unfinished wood handles,
>which I prefer, because they offer a secure grip on the knife as one rotates
>it to pop open the oyster. The new ones have plastic handles. I'm not sure
>that would be as good. Here's a picture of what they make now with the
>plastic handle:
>
> http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/i...rclamknife.jpg
>
>Just my thoughts... wondering if anyone else shucks oysters.

I do shuck oysters, including wild ones for chowder that are sometimes
too big for any knife I have seen to reach the petoncle when you pop
the hinge. I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
thin pointed blade, but is not weak. I have one on the boat and one at
home.

For really huge oysters, breaking the edge at the end away from the
hinge with pliers makes it easy to cut the petoncle (adductor). Of
course you wouldn't do that if serving on the half shell, but only for
oysters too big for that.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Rodney Myrvaagnes

> [...]

>Just my thoughts... wondering if anyone else shucks oysters.

I do shuck oysters, including wild ones for chowder that are sometimes
too big for any knife I have seen to reach the petoncle when you pop
the hinge. I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
thin pointed blade, but is not weak. I have one on the boat and one at
home.

For really huge oysters, breaking the edge at the end away from the
hinge with pliers makes it easy to cut the petoncle (adductor). Of
course you wouldn't do that if serving on the half shell, but only for
oysters too big for that.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Julian Vrieslander

In article >,
Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:

> I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
> came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
> thin pointed blade, but is not weak.

I think I might have the same one. Wooden handle with brass rivets.
Works great.

This is the third oyster knife that I have bought. The first two were
useless. The first one broke off at the tip. The second was highly
recommened by a guy at Seattle Restaurant Supply, but it was too thick
to wedge into an oyster. I suppose I could have had it sharpened.

I guess an oyster knife needs a sharp tip, but needs to be strong enough
to take some serious torque.

--
Julian Vrieslander

zuuum

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
>A good oyster knife... is worth its weight in gold.

......[snip]......
> I looked for a web site for the Ontario Knife Company, and found it.
> Apparently they don't make exactly the same knife I like any more, but
> they still make a similar one. The ones I have have unfinished wood
> handles, which I prefer, because they offer a secure grip on the knife as
> one rotates it to pop open the oyster. The new ones have plastic handles.
> I'm not sure that would be as good. Here's a picture of what they make now
> with the plastic handle:
>

> http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/i...rclamknife.jpg

I rarely have a need for an oyster knife, but that appears to be the best
I've ever seen. LOL, it figures that a maker of survival and combat knives
would produce a decent oyster knife.

zuuum

"wff_ng_6" > wrote in message
>A good oyster knife... is worth its weight in gold.

......[snip]......
> I looked for a web site for the Ontario Knife Company, and found it.
> Apparently they don't make exactly the same knife I like any more, but
> they still make a similar one. The ones I have have unfinished wood
> handles, which I prefer, because they offer a secure grip on the knife as
> one rotates it to pop open the oyster. The new ones have plastic handles.
> I'm not sure that would be as good. Here's a picture of what they make now
> with the plastic handle:
>

> http://www.ontarioknife.com/images/i...rclamknife.jpg

I rarely have a need for an oyster knife, but that appears to be the best
I've ever seen. LOL, it figures that a maker of survival and combat knives
would produce a decent oyster knife.

wff_ng_6

Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote:
> I do shuck oysters, including wild ones for chowder that are sometimes
> too big for any knife I have seen to reach the petoncle when you pop
> the hinge. I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
> came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
> thin pointed blade, but is not weak. I have one on the boat and one at
> home.
>
> For really huge oysters, breaking the edge at the end away from the
> hinge with pliers makes it easy to cut the petoncle (adductor). Of
> course you wouldn't do that if serving on the half shell, but only for
> oysters too big for that.

Before I was more adept, I would get out a big old screwdriver and hammer it
into the hinge to pop the really big or difficult ones open. I haven't had
to resort to that for years, maybe because of my better knives, or maybe
because of better skill... or both. Spotting the correct point of entry for
the knife is important, and each oyster is different.

The French knife I talked about is that very one from Williams Sonoma. It
was at least twice the price of the Ontario Knife Co. one. I liked it a lot,
but did eventually break the tip off of it. I still have it in the drawer in
case I should ever be so inspired to grind a decent tip back on to it with
my grinding machine. I also have a second one of these I kept in reserve, as
I knew this breakage was coming. But I haven't used it because I came across
the Ontario one next.

There are some really huge oysters out there. No way could you ever swallow
one of those monsters whole! I saved the shell from the biggest one I ever
opened, it would make a nice ashtray. These big ones bring that old quote to
mind:

"It was a brave man who ate the first oyster."

wff_ng_6

Rodney Myrvaagnes" > wrote:
> I do shuck oysters, including wild ones for chowder that are sometimes
> too big for any knife I have seen to reach the petoncle when you pop
> the hinge. I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
> came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
> thin pointed blade, but is not weak. I have one on the boat and one at
> home.
>
> For really huge oysters, breaking the edge at the end away from the
> hinge with pliers makes it easy to cut the petoncle (adductor). Of
> course you wouldn't do that if serving on the half shell, but only for
> oysters too big for that.

Before I was more adept, I would get out a big old screwdriver and hammer it
into the hinge to pop the really big or difficult ones open. I haven't had
to resort to that for years, maybe because of my better knives, or maybe
because of better skill... or both. Spotting the correct point of entry for
the knife is important, and each oyster is different.

The French knife I talked about is that very one from Williams Sonoma. It
was at least twice the price of the Ontario Knife Co. one. I liked it a lot,
but did eventually break the tip off of it. I still have it in the drawer in
case I should ever be so inspired to grind a decent tip back on to it with
my grinding machine. I also have a second one of these I kept in reserve, as
I knew this breakage was coming. But I haven't used it because I came across
the Ontario one next.

There are some really huge oysters out there. No way could you ever swallow
one of those monsters whole! I saved the shell from the biggest one I ever
opened, it would make a nice ashtray. These big ones bring that old quote to
mind:

"It was a brave man who ate the first oyster."

wff_ng_6

"JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms" > wrote:
> I grew up shucking mussels on the left coast for my dad and uncles that
> were avid surf fishermen. You're right about once a shucker, always a
> natural. My first time with oysters was just a few years ago, at a
> local restaurant closed for New Years. Shucking the oysters for our
> invitation only party was a natural for me, but eating just one of those
> horrid, slimey critters was plenty. Thank goodness I was encouraged to
> merely pop and swallow, else chewing it may have had me wretching (shut
> up, Sheldon).

I eat oysters prepared many ways, but I think the best is raw. I remember
once on a business trip to the Houston area going to an all you can eat
seafood restaurant called the San Jacinto Inn, next to the San Jacinto
Monument and the Battleship Texas. They had all kinds of seafood as
appetizers, and then came the main course. One coworker of mine ate 28 raw
oysters while the appetizers were out, not to mention countless shrimp,
clams on the half shell, etc. Then came the main course. I don't know how he
did it.

I had another coworker more recently who couldn't believe that oysters (and
clams and mussels) were live when in the shell. I told him that was the
whole point, that's how you know they are fresh... you don't eat them if
they are dead. I decided not to tell him about cutting the faces off of soft
shell crabs, or to never look into a pot of steaming crabs before they are
done. I don't think he could take it. I guess a lot of people don't have a
clue as to where their food comes from. Even cute Bessie the cow and a Big
Mac are related...

wff_ng_6

"JeanineAlyse in 29 Palms" > wrote:
> I grew up shucking mussels on the left coast for my dad and uncles that
> were avid surf fishermen. You're right about once a shucker, always a
> natural. My first time with oysters was just a few years ago, at a
> local restaurant closed for New Years. Shucking the oysters for our
> invitation only party was a natural for me, but eating just one of those
> horrid, slimey critters was plenty. Thank goodness I was encouraged to
> merely pop and swallow, else chewing it may have had me wretching (shut
> up, Sheldon).

I eat oysters prepared many ways, but I think the best is raw. I remember
once on a business trip to the Houston area going to an all you can eat
seafood restaurant called the San Jacinto Inn, next to the San Jacinto
Monument and the Battleship Texas. They had all kinds of seafood as
appetizers, and then came the main course. One coworker of mine ate 28 raw
oysters while the appetizers were out, not to mention countless shrimp,
clams on the half shell, etc. Then came the main course. I don't know how he
did it.

I had another coworker more recently who couldn't believe that oysters (and
clams and mussels) were live when in the shell. I told him that was the
whole point, that's how you know they are fresh... you don't eat them if
they are dead. I decided not to tell him about cutting the faces off of soft
shell crabs, or to never look into a pot of steaming crabs before they are
done. I don't think he could take it. I guess a lot of people don't have a
clue as to where their food comes from. Even cute Bessie the cow and a Big
Mac are related...

Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:43:59 GMT, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:
>
>> I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
>> came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
>> thin pointed blade, but is not weak.

>I think I might have the same one. Wooden handle with brass rivets.
>Works great.
>
>This is the third oyster knife that I have bought. The first two were
>useless. The first one broke off at the tip. The second was highly
>recommened by a guy at Seattle Restaurant Supply, but it was too thick
>to wedge into an oyster. I suppose I could have had it sharpened.
>
>I guess an oyster knife needs a sharp tip, but needs to be strong enough
>to take some serious torque.

Yes, that is it. I liked it well enough to buy a second one for the
boat. Neither one has broken.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you
Rodney Myrvaagnes

On Sun, 16 Jan 2005 07:43:59 GMT, Julian Vrieslander
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Rodney Myrvaagnes > wrote:
>
>> I have used a French knife for the last 7 or 8 years that
>> came from WIlliams Sonoma for an excessive price. It has a relatively
>> thin pointed blade, but is not weak.

>I think I might have the same one. Wooden handle with brass rivets.
>Works great.
>
>This is the third oyster knife that I have bought. The first two were
>useless. The first one broke off at the tip. The second was highly
>recommened by a guy at Seattle Restaurant Supply, but it was too thick
>to wedge into an oyster. I suppose I could have had it sharpened.
>
>I guess an oyster knife needs a sharp tip, but needs to be strong enough
>to take some serious torque.

Yes, that is it. I liked it well enough to buy a second one for the
boat. Neither one has broken.

Rodney Myrvaagnes NYC J36 Gjo/a

Capsizing under chute, and having the chute rise and fill without tangling, all while Mark and Sally are still behind you

Good Oyster Sauce Steve Wertz[_1_] Asian Cooking 12 13-04-2007 04:31 AM
good knife gman General Cooking 29 15-06-2005 01:48 PM
Would like recommendations on a good oyster knife Pierre Cooking Equipment 6 14-02-2005 09:23 PM
A Good Oyster Knife... wff_ng_6 General Cooking 0 16-01-2005 04:24 AM