Ted Shoemaker

Default wheat-free bread doesn't rise -- ideas?

Hello,

My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

Thank you!

Ted Shoemaker

Levelwave©

Ted Shoemaker wrote:

> My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

I recommend you post your recipe

.... you prolly added too much salt.

~john
Levelwave©

Ted Shoemaker wrote:

> My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

I recommend you post your recipe

.... you prolly added too much salt.

~john
Doug Freyburger

> My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

Rising is usually from yeast. Yeast thrives on gluten. Wheat has
the most gluten. You could add vital wheat gluten but unless the
only thing you're interested in is the carb count that would defeat
the purpose.
So try an alternate rising method, a chemical one like baking soda.

sethra

Ted Shoemaker wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

GF baking is, in general, a terrible bother but also a requirement in
this house. Here's what we've done:

Easiest:
Just buy some GF bread from the local health food grocer. Most of the
rice-flour based breads are very heavy and not really all that tasty.

Easier:
Get a bread machine and GF bread mix and use it instead of from scratch.
Some of the mixes are actually pretty good, but you'll have to experiment
based on what's available in your area. If you can't find locally, you
can also order them online from several suppliers -- google terms such
as: gluten free, wheat free, celiac.

Not so easy:
A lot of the from scratch recipes we've found use xanthan gum or guar gum
in addition to various *mixtures* of different types of GF flour to
replace what's lost by not using wheat flour. As you're finding out (just
as we did), however, it's generally best to follow a recipe and get a
decent bread from it, then start tweaking the ingredients later. As a
bonus, you can save some time and effort if GF bread products are going
to be common in your home by using a bread machine with the from scratch
recipes too.

We've found a couple good GF recipe books that you may want to check out:

The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman
Includes a discussion of different types of GF flours and "stretchers"
(gluten replacers), and about 30 bread recipes of different types.

Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
Includes tips on making handy ready-to-use GF flour mixes, and charts and
conversions for all sorts of GF flours, mixes, stretchers (called
thickeners in this book) and so on, as well as recipes for several types
of bread, including the *best* GF bread I've found so far, and absolutely
wonderful Russian Black Bread.

Each book has several recipes for different breads; I can post a recipe
if you like. Just let me know what sort it is -- obviously, Russian Black
Bread is going to be very different from a hamburger bun or buttermilk
biscuits.

--
~sethra

sethra

Ted Shoemaker wrote in :

> Hello,
>
> My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

GF baking is, in general, a terrible bother but also a requirement in
this house. Here's what we've done:

Easiest:
Just buy some GF bread from the local health food grocer. Most of the
rice-flour based breads are very heavy and not really all that tasty.

Easier:
Get a bread machine and GF bread mix and use it instead of from scratch.
Some of the mixes are actually pretty good, but you'll have to experiment
based on what's available in your area. If you can't find locally, you
can also order them online from several suppliers -- google terms such
as: gluten free, wheat free, celiac.

Not so easy:
A lot of the from scratch recipes we've found use xanthan gum or guar gum
in addition to various *mixtures* of different types of GF flour to
replace what's lost by not using wheat flour. As you're finding out (just
as we did), however, it's generally best to follow a recipe and get a
decent bread from it, then start tweaking the ingredients later. As a
bonus, you can save some time and effort if GF bread products are going
to be common in your home by using a bread machine with the from scratch
recipes too.

We've found a couple good GF recipe books that you may want to check out:

The Gluten-Free Gourmet by Bette Hagman
Includes a discussion of different types of GF flours and "stretchers"
(gluten replacers), and about 30 bread recipes of different types.

Wheat-Free Recipes and Menus by Carol Fenster, Ph.D.
Includes tips on making handy ready-to-use GF flour mixes, and charts and
conversions for all sorts of GF flours, mixes, stretchers (called
thickeners in this book) and so on, as well as recipes for several types
of bread, including the *best* GF bread I've found so far, and absolutely
wonderful Russian Black Bread.

Each book has several recipes for different breads; I can post a recipe
if you like. Just let me know what sort it is -- obviously, Russian Black
Bread is going to be very different from a hamburger bun or buttermilk
biscuits.

--
~sethra

Bob (this one)

Doug Freyburger wrote:

>>My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
>>doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
>>gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

> Rising is usually from yeast. Yeast thrives on gluten.

Yeast doesn't interact with gluten at all. Yeast thrives on carbs.
Gluten is a protein.

Gluten makes a network of protein that holds in the CO2 gas that yeast
makes as it consumes the sugars in the flour.

There are many other substitutes that can help breads like these rise.
But none of them will be like wheat breads. There are other proteins
to use like egg white. Or food gums like xanthan, guar, Arabic, or
carageenan. There are whole cookbooks dedicated to this subject.

Pastorio

> Wheat has
> the most gluten. You could add vital wheat gluten but unless the
> only thing you're interested in is the carb count that would defeat
> the purpose.
> So try an alternate rising method, a chemical one like baking soda.

Bob (this one)

Doug Freyburger wrote:

>>My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
>>doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
>>gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

> Rising is usually from yeast. Yeast thrives on gluten.

Yeast doesn't interact with gluten at all. Yeast thrives on carbs.
Gluten is a protein.

Gluten makes a network of protein that holds in the CO2 gas that yeast
makes as it consumes the sugars in the flour.

There are many other substitutes that can help breads like these rise.
But none of them will be like wheat breads. There are other proteins
to use like egg white. Or food gums like xanthan, guar, Arabic, or
carageenan. There are whole cookbooks dedicated to this subject.

Pastorio

> Wheat has
> the most gluten. You could add vital wheat gluten but unless the
> only thing you're interested in is the carb count that would defeat
> the purpose.
> So try an alternate rising method, a chemical one like baking soda.

Miche

In article . com>,
"Doug Freyburger" > wrote:

> > My (very limited!) experience with making wheat-free bread is that it
> > doesn't rise properly. Assuming that we want to make a wheat-free,
> > gluten-free bread, what do you recommend, to keep it rising?

> Rising is usually from yeast. Yeast thrives on gluten. Wheat has
> the most gluten. You could add vital wheat gluten but unless the
> only thing you're interested in is the carb count that would defeat
> the purpose.
> So try an alternate rising method, a chemical one like baking soda.

Yeast eats the carbohydrate portion of flour, I thought. The gluten
(protein) in the dough forms a "web" which traps the carbon dioxide
bubbles produced by the yeast, which makes the dough rise.

Miche

--
WWMVD?