Jeff K

Default Cornbread Quantity Question

The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces. I'm
not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The cornbread must
be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken up, and I'd rather
not find out at the last minute that I don't have enough. Many thanks.
Jeff

Shawn Hearn

In article .com>,
"Jeff K" > wrote:

> The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
> stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces. I'm
> not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
> cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
> pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The cornbread must
> be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken up, and I'd rather
> not find out at the last minute that I don't have enough. Many thanks.
> Jeff

I am not sure either, but logic would dictate that if you use 18
cups worth of batter, you will end up with at least that much
plus some extra due to expansion.
Wayne Boatwright

Shawn Hearn > wrote in news:srhi-E6739B.22274222122004
@news.giganews.com:

> In article .com>,
> "Jeff K" > wrote:
>
>> The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
>> stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces. I'm
>> not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
>> cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
>> pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The cornbread must
>> be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken up, and I'd rather
>> not find out at the last minute that I don't have enough. Many thanks.
>> Jeff

> I am not sure either, but logic would dictate that if you use 18
> cups worth of batter, you will end up with at least that much
> plus some extra due to expansion.

You're right, of course, but how much expansion depends on the type of
cornbread. Southern style cornbread made of mostly or all cornmeal will
only raise 25-30%, while northern style cornbread made of equal or greater
than equal amount of flour will raise more, perhaps 40-60%. Southern
cornbread is inherently heavier and more moist, whereas northern cornbread
is more cakelike.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
kilikini

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Shawn Hearn > wrote in
> news:srhi-E6739B.22274222122004 @news.giganews.com:
>
>> In article .com>,
>> "Jeff K" > wrote:
>>
>>> The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
>>> stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces.
>>> I'm not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans
>>> of cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square
>>> baking pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The
>>> cornbread must be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken
>>> up, and I'd rather not find out at the last minute that I don't
>>> have enough. Many thanks. Jeff

>> I am not sure either, but logic would dictate that if you use 18
>> cups worth of batter, you will end up with at least that much
>> plus some extra due to expansion.

> You're right, of course, but how much expansion depends on the type of
> cornbread. Southern style cornbread made of mostly or all cornmeal
> will only raise 25-30%, while northern style cornbread made of equal
> or greater than equal amount of flour will raise more, perhaps
> 40-60%. Southern cornbread is inherently heavier and more moist,
> whereas northern cornbread is more cakelike.

I used to make cornbread stuffing with the box mix (add egg and water) and
I'd use two boxes of cornbread (Krusteez mix). I'd use a couple of onions,
lots of celery and minced sausage. That gave me enough to stuff the bird
and another 9 X 14 inch pyrex baking dish full.

Hope that helps..........

kili

Leonard Lehew

On 22 Dec 2004 17:41:11 -0800, "Jeff K" >
wrote:

>The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
>stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces. I'm
>not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
>cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
>pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The cornbread must
>be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken up, and I'd rather
>not find out at the last minute that I don't have enough. Many thanks.
>Jeff

If the cornbread in an 8 x 8 pan is 1 inch deep, the pan will contain
64 cubic inches of corn bread. There are about 14.4 cubic inches in a
cup, so each 8 x 8 x 1 inch piece of cornbread will yield a bit over 4
cups of cornbread. Since the cornbread will probably be over an inch
thick, the yield from each 8 x 8 pan will be greater. I'd probably
make 4 pans of cornbread if it's around an inch thick; 3 pans if it's
an inch and a half thick. (At 1 1/2" thick, each 8 x 8 pan will yield
about 6 cups.

It seems to me that this is going to produce quite a lot of sutffing!

Cheers,

Leonard

Leonard Lehew

wrote:

>The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
>stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces. I'm
>not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
>cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
>pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe? The cornbread must
>be dry (day-old or oven-dried) before it is broken up, and I'd rather
>not find out at the last minute that I don't have enough. Many thanks.
>Jeff

If the cornbread in an 8 x 8 pan is 1 inch deep, the pan will contain
64 cubic inches of corn bread. There are about 14.4 cubic inches in a
cup, so each 8 x 8 x 1 inch piece of cornbread will yield a bit over 4
cups of cornbread. Since the cornbread will probably be over an inch
thick, the yield from each 8 x 8 pan will be greater. I'd probably
make 4 pans of cornbread if it's around an inch thick; 3 pans if it's
an inch and a half thick. (At 1 1/2" thick, each 8 x 8 pan will yield
about 6 cups.

It seems to me that this is going to produce quite a lot of sutffing!

Cheers,

Leonard
William H

16

William H

16

jmcquown

Jeff K wrote:
> The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
> stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces.

Are you planning to stuff an emu?

I'm
> not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
> cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
> pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe?

I'd say it depends on the recipe for the cornbread. As Wayne pointed out,
it will depend on how much the cornbread has risen when finished. I would
guess about 5 pans but cannot say definitively.

I bake my cornbread (2 cups cornmeal, 1 cup flour, etc.) in an 8" round cast
iron skillet and it gives me about 4 cups but then when it's dried there is
moisture loss (slight shrinkage).

Jill

jmcquown

Jeff K wrote:
> The recipe I am using for the first time to make cornbread sausage
> stuffing calls for 18 cups of cornbread broken into 1-inch pieces.

Are you planning to stuff an emu?

I'm
> not sure how to translate this quantity into the number of pans of
> cornbread I'll need to make. If I use, say, 8" x 8" square baking
> pans, how many pans will be needed for my recipe?

I'd say it depends on the recipe for the cornbread. As Wayne pointed out,
it will depend on how much the cornbread has risen when finished. I would
guess about 5 pans but cannot say definitively.

I bake my cornbread (2 cups cornmeal, 1 cup flour, etc.) in an 8" round cast
iron skillet and it gives me about 4 cups but then when it's dried there is
moisture loss (slight shrinkage).

Jill

Jeff K

I like your mathematical "solution." It makes sense to me. Thanks!
Jeff

Jeff K

I like your mathematical "solution." It makes sense to me. Thanks!
Jeff

I Bought a Scale - Now a Question About Water Quantity Janice Tea 6 08-12-2007 03:04 AM
Calcium quantity in water? Lumo Tea 8 28-07-2005 11:00 AM
Tomatoes -- quantity & prices Anny Middon Preserving 4 26-07-2005 04:12 AM
MLF bacteria quantity.. Inferno Winemaking 13 23-12-2004 04:10 PM
Now I've done it... and a quantity question. Lori Barbecue 7 23-10-2003 06:50 PM