Lolailo Riapitá

Default No-bake Thanksgiving dessert?

I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
me.

Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

Thank you in advance!!!

Lolailo

--
WHAT?!?! You haven't heard about BookCrossing.com yet? Go immediately to:

http://bookcrossing.com/referral/GorgeousGlo

and let the good karma begin.
Wayne Boatwright

Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in
:

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

If you used a pre-baked pie shell or graham cracker or gingersnap crumb
crust, you could make a pumpkin chiffon pie. This would seem suitable.

--
Wayne in Phoenix

*A mind is a terrible thing to lose.
jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in
> :
>

>> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked
>> that i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i
>> cannot bake. I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert
>> that could be suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen
>> has not impressed me.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>>
>> Thank you in advance!!!
>>
>> Lolailo
>>

> If you used a pre-baked pie shell or graham cracker or gingersnap
> crumb crust, you could make a pumpkin chiffon pie. This would seem
> suitable.

No bake Jell-O cheese cake? Or the OP could always buy a dessert at a local
bakery. Perhaps a pumpkin cake or carrot cake.

Jill

jmcquown

Wayne Boatwright wrote:
> Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in
> :
>

>> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked
>> that i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i
>> cannot bake. I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert
>> that could be suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen
>> has not impressed me.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>>
>> Thank you in advance!!!
>>
>> Lolailo
>>

> If you used a pre-baked pie shell or graham cracker or gingersnap
> crumb crust, you could make a pumpkin chiffon pie. This would seem
> suitable.

No bake Jell-O cheese cake? Or the OP could always buy a dessert at a local
bakery. Perhaps a pumpkin cake or carrot cake.

Jill

Andrew H. Carter

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:58:21 GMT, Lolailo Riapitá
> scribbled some thoughts:

>I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
>i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
>I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
>suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
>me.
>
>Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
>Thank you in advance!!!
>
>Lolailo

NOTE: I have tested none of these. I exported all of the
recipes in the Desert category. I have not culled the ones
requiring baking, given the possibility that you might be
able to prep it at home, then bake it on site? That and the
others might find them useful.

*** Mint-Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake ***
*** Spiced Pear Sundae With Sugared Chestnuts ***

Exported from my Cooking Light Cookware December 1999:

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Chestnut Torte

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 156

INGREDIENTS FOR 12 SERVINGS:
Chestnut puree:
1-1/2 cups whole cooked shelled chestnuts (about 2 pounds in
shell)
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine, softened
Filling:
1/3 cup sugar
1 tablespoon hot water
1-1/2 teaspoons instant coffee granules
2 large egg yolks
1-1/2 ounces semisweet chocolate, melted
1/4 cup butter, softened
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Remaining ingredients:
6 large egg yolks
1-1/2 cups sugar
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
6 large egg whites
Cooking spray
1 (8-ounce) carton frozen fat-free whipped topping, thawed

INSTRUCTIONS:
This rich chestnut torte is a holiday tradition in
chestnut-grower Bob Wallace's household. We lightened it
slightly
by decreasing the butter and using fat-free whipped topping
in
place of whipped cream.

1. To prepare chestnut puree, process chestnuts in a food
processor until finely ground. Add 1 tablespoon butter;
process
until blended to measure 2-1/2 cups. (Add a few more
chestnuts
and puree, if necessary.) Cover and chill.

2. To prepare filling, combine 1/3 cup sugar, water, coffee
granules, and 2 egg yolks in a food processor; process until
smooth. Add chocolate; process until blended. Add 1/4 cup
butter
and 1/2 teaspoon vanilla; process until blended. Add 1/2 cup
chestnut puree; process until smooth. Cover and chill 8
hours.

3. Preheat oven to 325 degrees.

4. Beat 6 egg yolks in a large bowl at high speed of a mixer
for
2 minutes. Gradually add 1-1/2 cups sugar, beating until
thick
and pale (about 5 minutes); beat in 1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla
until
blended. Gently fold in 2 cups chestnut puree. Beat egg
whites at
high speed of a mixer until stiff peaks form using clean,
dry
beaters (do not overbeat). Gently stir one-fourth of egg
whites
into chestnut mixture; gently fold in remaining egg whites.
Pour
batter into 2 (8-inch) round pans coated with cooking spray.
Bake
at 325 degrees for 50 minutes. Cool completely on wire
racks.
Loosen cake layers by using a knife or narrow spatula. Place
one
cake layer on a plate; spread with filling, and top with
other
cake layer.

5. Spread whipped topping evenly over top and sides of
torte.
Chill 2 hours before serving. Yield: 12 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 299 (30% from fat); FAT 9.9g (sat 4.9g, mono 3.3g,
poly
0.9g); PROTEIN 4.3g; CARB 47.7g; FIBER 2.1g; CHOL 158mg;
IRON
0.8mg; SODIUM 92mg; CALC 25mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Chocolate-Hazelnut Torte

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 172

INGREDIENTS FOR 8 SERVINGS:
Cooking spray
2 teaspoons all-purpose flour
1/2 cup hazelnuts (about 2 ounces)
3 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 cup granulated sugar
2/3 cup unsweetened cocoa
3 tablespoons cold strong brewed coffee
2-1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, melted
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated orange rind
3 large egg whites
7 large egg whites
3 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 cups fresh raspberries
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Coat a 9-inch springform pan with cooking spray, and
sprinkle
with 2 teaspoons flour.

2. Place the hazelnuts in a medium nonstick skillet. Cook
over
medium heat 6 minutes or until lightly toasted, stirring
frequently. Turn nuts out onto a towel. Roll up towel; rub
off
skins. Cool. Place hazelnuts in a food processor; process
until
coarsely ground. Add 3 tablespoons flour; process until
finely
ground.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

4. Combine 1 cup granulated sugar and next 6 ingredients
(sugar
through 3 egg whites) in a large bowl; stir well with a
whisk.
Add hazelnut mixture, and stir well. Beat 7 egg whites at
high
speed of a mixer until soft peaks form. Gradually add 3
tablespoons granulated sugar, 1 tablespoon at a time,
beating
until stiff peaks form. Fold one-third of egg white mixture
into
cocoa mixture; gently fold in remaining egg white mixture.
Spoon
into prepared springform pan.

5. Bake the torte at 350 degrees for 40 minutes or until
set;
cool torte on a wire rack. Remove sides of pan. Arrange
raspberries on top of torte, and sift powdered sugar over
raspberries. Yield: 8 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 275 (30% from fat); FAT 9.3g (sat 3.2g, mono 4.9g,
poly
0.7g); PROTEIN 7.9g; CARB 41.4g; FIBER 2.5g; CHOL 10mg; IRON
1.9mg; SODIUM 106mg; CALC 36mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Classic Genoise

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 134

INGREDIENTS FOR 12 SERVINGS:
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon cake flour
2 tablespoons butter
1 cup unsifted cake flour (about 3-3/4 ounces)
1/8 teaspoon salt
1/2 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
4 large eggs

INSTRUCTIONS:
Depending on what you're making, genoise is baked in either
a 15
x 10-inch jelly-roll pan or a 9-inch springform pan. For the
Sherried Banana-Strawberry Trifle and Triple-Lemon Genoise
With
Buttercream and Raspberries, you can make it in 2 (9-inch)
round
cake pans; bake for 13 minutes.

The Sherried Banana-Strawberry Trifle recipe and
Triple-Lemon
Genoise With Buttercream and Raspberries recipe can be found
in
the 1999 December issue.

1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees.

2. Coat a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan or a 9-inch springform
pan
with cooking spray; line with wax paper. Coat paper with
cooking
spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour. Set aside.

3. Cook butter in a small saucepan over medium heat until
lightly
browned (about 4 minutes). Pour into a small bowl; cool and
set
aside.

4. Lightly spoon 1 cup flour into a dry measuring cup; level
with
a knife. Combine 1 cup flour and salt in a sifter. Sift the
flour
and salt once; set aside.

5. Beat sugar, vanilla, and eggs at high speed of a mixer
until
ribbons fall from beaters (about 10 to 15 minutes or until
the
egg mixture holds its shape). Lightly spoon one-third of
flour
mixture onto egg mixture; quickly fold. Repeat procedure
twice
with remaining flour mixture.

6. Stir about 1 cup batter into cooled browned butter.
Gently
fold butter mixture into remaining batter. Spoon batter into
prepared pan; spread evenly. Bake in jelly-roll pan at 375
degrees for 12 minutes or in springform pan for 20 minutes,
or
until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean or
the
cake springs back when touched lightly in center. Loosen
from
sides of pan; turn out onto a wire rack. Carefully peel off
wax
paper. Cool completely. Yield: 12 servings.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 109 (31% from fat); FAT 3.8g (sat 1.7g, mono 1.2g,
poly
0.3g); PROTEIN 2.9g; CARB 15.5g; FIBER 0g; CHOL 79mg; IRON
0.9mg;
SODIUM 66mg; CALC 10mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Classic Sweet Potato Pie

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 114

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
1 (9-inch) unbaked Cream Cheese Piecrust
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 1-1/4 pounds)
1 cup evaporated fat-free milk
3/4 cup sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon grated lemon rind
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground nutmeg
2 large eggs
1-1/4 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
Ground cinnamon (optional)

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Cream Cheese piecrust recipe can be found in the 1999
December issue.

1. Prepare Cream Cheese Piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate; set
aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Combine sweet potato and next 8 ingredients (sweet potato
through eggs) in a food processor, and process until smooth.
Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Bake at 350 degrees for
45
minutes or until set; shield edges of piecrust with foil
after 20
minutes. Cool completely on a wire rack. Top each serving
with
whipped topping, and sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.
Yield:
10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge and 2 tablespoons
topping).

Note: Serve with Clos du Bois Late Harvest Semillon 1997
(Knights
Valley, $18 per half-bottle), an opulent wine that is long
and
syrupy in the mouth.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 274 (20% from fat); FAT 6.1g (sat 3.5g, mono 1.5g,
poly
0.5g); PROTEIN 6.5g; CARB 48.4g; FIBER 2.3g; CHOL 76mg; IRON
1.3mg; SODIUM 223mg; CALC 117mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Coconut-Rum Sweet Potato Pie

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 114

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
1 (9-inch) unbaked Cream Cheese Piecrust
2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 1-1/4 pounds)
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/4 cup 2% reduced-fat milk
2 tablespoons dark rum
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
3 large eggs
1/2 cup flaked sweetened coconut

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Cream Cheese Piecrust recipe can be found in the 1999
December issue.

1. Prepare Cream Cheese Piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate; set
aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Combine sweet potato and next 7 ingredients (sweet potato
through eggs) in a food processor, and process until smooth.
Spoon mixture into prepared crust; sprinkle with coconut.

4. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until set; shield edges
of
piecrust with foil after 20 minutes. Cool on a wire rack.
Yield:
10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 254 (26% from fat); FAT 7.3g (sat 4.1g, mono 1.8g,
poly
0.6g); PROTEIN 5.3g; CARB 41.8g; FIBER 2.6g; CHOL 97mg; IRON
1.6mg; SODIUM 214mg; CALC 55mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Cream Cheese Piecrust

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 114

INGREDIENTS FOR 1 SERVINGS:
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
2 tablespoons (1 ounce) 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
2 tablespoons sugar
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 tablespoon 1% low-fat milk
1 large egg yolk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Combine first 4 ingredients in a bowl; beat well at
medium
speed of a mixer until smooth. Add milk and egg yolk; beat
until
well-blended. Lightly spoon flour into a dry measuring cup,
and
level with a knife. Add flour, baking powder, and salt to
bowl,
stirring until well-blended.

2. Press mixture gently into a 4-inch circle on heavy-duty
plastic wrap; cover with additional plastic wrap. Chill for
15
minutes. Roll dough, still covered, to an 11-inch circle.
Place
dough in freezer 5 minutes or until plastic wrap can be
easily
removed.

3. Remove 1 sheet of plastic wrap, and fit dough, plastic
wrap
side up, into a 9-inch pie plate coated with cooking spray.
Remove top sheet of plastic wrap. Press the dough against
bottom
and sides of pan. Fold edges under, and flute. Fill and bake
the
crust according to recipe directions. Yield: 1 (9-inch)
crust.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 916 (36% from fat); FAT 37g (sat 20.5g, mono 10.7g,
poly
2.3g); PROTEIN 19.3g; CARB 123.1g; FIBER 3.4g; CHOL 302mg;
IRON
6.7mg; SODIUM 1,074mg; CALC 158mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

German-Chocolate Cake With Coconut-Pecan Sauce

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 96

INGREDIENTS FOR 20 SERVINGS:
1/3 cup butter or stick margarine
1 (4-ounce) bar sweet baking chocolate, chopped
1-1/4 cups sugar
1/2 cup water
1-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
2 teaspoons baking powder
1/8 teaspoon salt
Cooking spray
Coconut-Pecan Sauce

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Coconut-Pecan Sauce can be found in the 1999 December
issue.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place butter and chocolate in a large microwave-safe
bowl, and
microwave at high 1 minute or until melted, stirring until
smooth. Stir in sugar, water, and vanilla. Add egg whites
and
egg, stirring with a whisk. Lightly spoon flour into dry
measuring cups, and level with a knife. Combine flour,
baking
powder, and salt, and add to chocolate mixture, stirring
with a
whisk until smooth. Coat bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking pan
with
cooking spray; pour batter into pan. Bake at 350 degrees for
30
minutes or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean. Cool cake in pan on a wire rack. Serve cake with
Coconut-Pecan Sauce. Yield: 20 servings (serving size: 1
cake
piece and 2 tablespoons sauce).

(Totals include Coconut-Pecan Sauce)

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 267 (30% from fat); FAT 8.9g (sat 4.7g, mono 3g,
poly
0.7g); PROTEIN 3.7g; CARB 44.5g; FIBER 0.6g; CHOL 25mg; IRON
0.9mg; SODIUM 144mg; CALC 84mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Graham Cracker Piecrust

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 114

INGREDIENTS FOR 1 SERVINGS:
36 graham crackers (9 full cracker sheets)
1/4 cup sugar
1 tablespoon chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into
small
pieces
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1 large egg white
Cooking spray

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. Place crackers in a food processor, and process until
finely
ground. Add sugar, butter, and cinnamon; pulse 6 times or
until
mixture resembles coarse meal. Add egg white; pulse 10 times
or
just until blended (do not allow mixture to form a ball).
Firmly
press mixture into bottom of a 9-inch pie plate coated with
cooking spray. Bake at 350 degrees for 7 minutes; cool on a
wire
rack. Yield: 1 (9-inch) crust.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 863 (26% from fat); FAT 25g (sat 9.2g, mono 8.7g,
poly
5.3g); PROTEIN 11.1g; CARB 148.5g; FIBER 4.1g; CHOL 31mg;
IRON
5.8mg; SODIUM 984mg; CALC 79mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Mint-Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 140

INGREDIENTS FOR 12 SERVINGS:
Classic Genoise
Cake:
4 cups low-fat vanilla ice cream
2 tablespoons creme de menthe
12 creme de menthe chocolaty mint thins (such as Andes),
finely
chopped
Frosting:
1 cup powdered sugar
3 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa
2 tablespoons fat-free milk
1 tablespoon butter or stick margarine
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 teaspoon unsweetened cocoa

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Classic Genoise recipe can be found in the 1999 December
issue.

1. Prepare Classic Genoise as directed in a 9-inch
springform
pan. Cool the cake completely.

2. To assemble cake, split genoise into 3 layers
horizontally
using a serrated knife. Place bottom layer, cut side up, in
9-inch springform pan; place remaining layers in freezer.

3. Place a large bowl in freezer. Remove the ice cream from
freezer, and let stand at room temperature until slightly
soft.
Spoon ice cream into chilled bowl. Stir in creme de menthe
and
mint thins until well combined. Spoon half of ice cream
mixture
onto cake layer in pan; top with middle layer of cake.
Repeat
procedure, ending with top layer of cake, cut side down.
Return
cake to freezer.

4. To prepare frosting, combine sugar and 3 tablespoons
cocoa in
a small bowl. Combine milk and butter in a 1-cup glass
measure;
microwave at high 30 seconds or until butter melts. Add milk
mixture and vanilla to sugar mixture, stirring with a whisk
until
smooth. Spread frosting over top of cake, and freeze for 30
minutes. Cover with plastic wrap, and freeze 4 hours or
until
firm.

5. Place cake in refrigerator 30 minutes before serving to
soften. Remove band from springform pan. Sprinkle 1 teaspoon
cocoa over cake. Yield: 12 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 260 (29% from fat); FAT 8.5g (sat 5.1g, mono 2g,
poly
0.5g); PROTEIN 5.4g; CARB 40g; FIBER 0.1g; CHOL 88mg; IRON
1.3mg;
SODIUM 119mg; CALC 83mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Old-fashioned Caramel Layer Cake

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 120

INGREDIENTS FOR 18 SERVINGS:
Cake:
Cooking spray
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
1-1/2 cups granulated sugar
1/2 cup butter or stick margarine, softened
2 large eggs
1 large egg white
2-1/4 cups all-purpose flour
2-1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1/2 teaspoon salt
1-1/4 cups fat-free milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
Frosting:
1 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
2-1/2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine
2 teaspoons light-colored corn syrup
Dash of salt
2 cups powdered sugar
2-1/2 teaspoons vanilla extract

INSTRUCTIONS:
Hands down, this is one of the best-tasting cakes we've ever
created.

1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. To prepare cake, coat 2 (9-inch) round cake pans with
cooking
spray; line bottoms with wax paper. Coat wax paper with
cooking
spray; dust with 1 tablespoon flour.

3. Beat granulated sugar and 1/2 cup butter at medium speed
of a
mixer until well-blended (about 5 minutes). Add eggs and egg
white, 1 at a time, beating well after each addition.
Lightly
spoon 2-1/4 cups flour into dry measuring cups; level with a
knife. Combine 2-1/4 cups flour, baking powder, and salt;
stir
well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to sugar mixture
alternately
with 1-1/4 cups milk, beginning and ending with flour
mixture.
Stir in 2 teaspoons vanilla.

4. Pour batter into prepared pans, and sharply tap pans once
on
counter to remove air bubbles. Bake at 350 degrees for 30
minutes
or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out clean.
Cool
in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pans.
Carefully
peel off wax paper; cool completely on wire rack.

5. To prepare frosting, combine brown sugar and next 4
ingredients (brown sugar through salt) in a medium saucepan,
and
bring to a boil over medium-high heat, stirring constantly.
Reduce heat, and simmer until thick (about 5 minutes),
stirring
occasionally. Remove from heat. Add powdered sugar and 2-1/2
teaspoons vanilla; beat at medium speed of a mixer until
smooth
and slightly warm. Cool 2 to 3 minutes (frosting will be
thin but
thickens as it cools).

6. Place 1 cake layer on a plate; spoon 1/2 cup frosting on
cake layer spreading to cover. Top with remaining cake
layer.
Frost top and sides of cake. Store cake loosely covered in
refrigerator. Yield: 18 servings (serving size: 1 slice).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 307 (22% from fat); FAT 7.5g (sat 4.4g, mono 2.2g,
poly
0.4g); PROTEIN 3.8g; CARB 56.7g; FIBER 0.4g; CHOL 43mg; IRON
1.2mg; SODIUM 251mg; CALC 97mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Pecan-Crusted Sweet Potato Pie

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 114

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
1 (9-inch) unbaked Cream Cheese Piecrust
1-1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 3/4 pound)
1/3 cup packed dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons evaporated fat-free milk
3/4 teaspoon pumpkin-pie spice
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup packed dark brown sugar
1/2 cup light-colored corn syrup
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/8 teaspoon salt
1 large egg
1/2 cup chopped pecans

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Cream Cheese Piecrust recipe can be found in the 1999
December issue.

1. Prepare Cream Cheese Piecrust in a 9-inch pie plate; set
aside.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. Combine sweet potato and next 5 ingredients (sweet potato
through 1 egg) in a food processor, and process until
smooth.
Spoon mixture into prepared crust. Combine 1/2 cup brown
sugar
and next 5 ingredients (1/2 cup brown sugar through 1 egg);
stir
well with a whisk. Stir in pecans. Pour pecan mixture over
sweet
potato mixture. Bake at 350 degrees for 1 hour or until
almost
set; shield edges of piecrust with foil after 20 minutes.
Cool on
a wire rack. Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 322 (25% from fat); FAT 8.9g (sat 2.7g, mono 4g,
poly
1.4g); PROTEIN 4.9g; CARB 56.1g; FIBER 2.2g; CHOL 75mg; IRON
1.6mg; SODIUM 248mg; CALC 65mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Persimmon Flan

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 94

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
1-1/2 cups sugar, divided
1/4 cup water
2 ripe persimmons, peeled and quartered (about 10 ounces)
2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese
3 large egg whites
2 large eggs
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1/2 cup pomegranate seeds
24 thin slices peeled ripe persimmon (about 4 persimmons)

INSTRUCTIONS:
Available from October through February, persimmons are
shaped
like tomatoes and are orange-red in color. They should be
extremely ripe for this recipe, as they're pureed and mixed
into
the flan mixture.

1. Combine 1 cup sugar and water in a small, heavy saucepan
over
medium-high heat. Cook until sugar dissolves; stir as needed
dissolve sugar evenly. Cook 9 minutes or until golden.
Immediately pour into a 9-inch round cake pan, tipping
quickly
until sugar coats bottom of pan.

2. Place persimmon quarters in a food processor; process
until
smooth, scraping sides of bowl once.

3. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

4. Combine 1/2 cup sugar and flour. Beat cream cheese at
medium
speed of a mixer until smooth. Add flour mixture; beat until
well-blended. Add egg whites and eggs; beat well. Gradually
add
milk and 1/2 cup persimmon puree; beat well. Pour batter
into
prepared cake pan. Place cake pan in a broiler pan; add hot
water
to broiler pan to a depth of 1 inch. Bake at 350 degrees for
1-1/2 hours or until a knife inserted in center comes out
clean.
Remove cake pan from pan; cool completely on a wire rack.
Cover
and chill 8 hours.

5. Loosen edges of flan with a knife or rubber spatula.
Place a
serving plate, upside down, on top of pan; invert flan onto
plate. Drizzle any remaining caramelized syrup over flan.
Sprinkle with pomegranate seeds; garnish with persimmon
slices.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 282 (24% from fat); FAT 7.4g (sat 4.2g, mono 2.2g,
poly
0.3g); PROTEIN 6.8g; CARB 49.2g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 65mg; IRON
0.5mg; SODIUM 145mg; CALC 89mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Sherried Banana-Strawberry Trifle

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 134

INGREDIENTS FOR 12 SERVINGS:
Classic Genoise
Custard:
1/2 cup sugar
1-1/2 tablespoons cornstarch
1/8 teaspoon salt
2 large egg yolks
1 large egg
2 cups 2% reduced-fat milk
1 tablespoon grated lemon rind
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
Remaining ingredients:
1/2 cup seedless strawberry jam
1 tablespoon lemon juice
2/3 cup dry sherry
2 cups sliced bananas (about 2 large)
1-1/2 cups frozen reduced-calorie whipped topping, thawed
2 tablespoons sliced almonds, toasted

INSTRUCTIONS:
Genoise is ideal for a trifle because the cake nicely soaks
up
the liquid. Orange juice, brandy, or any liqueur can be
substituted for the sherry. This is a perfect make-ahead
dessert
for the holidays.

The Classic Genoise recipe can be found in the 1999 December
issue.

1. Prepare Classic Genoise in a 15 x 10-inch jelly-roll pan.
Cool
completely.

2. To prepare the custard, combine sugar and next 4
ingredients
(sugar through egg) in a bowl; stir well with a whisk, and
set
aside. Heat milk over medium-high heat in a small, heavy
saucepan
to 180 degrees or until tiny bubbles form around the edge
(do not
boil). Gradually add hot milk to sugar mixture, stirring
constantly with a whisk. Return milk mixture to pan; cook
over
medium heat until thick and bubbly (about 5 minutes),
stirring
constantly. Reduce heat to low; cook 2 minutes. Remove from
heat.
Place pan in a large ice-filled bowl until egg mixture comes
room temperature, stirring occasionally. Remove pan from
ice;
stir in lemon rind and vanilla.

3. Combine the jam and juice in a small microwave-safe bowl.
Microwave at high for 15 seconds, stirring until the jam
dissolves. Set aside.

4. Cut cake crosswise into 5 (3-inch-wide) pieces. Cut cake
lengthwise into 8 (1-1/4-inch) pieces to equal 40 pieces.
Arrange
14 cake pieces in a single layer in the bottom of a 2-quart
trifle bowl or souffle dish. Lightly brush cake pieces with
sherry. Spread half of strawberry mixture over cake in dish;
top
with 1 cup bananas. Spread half of custard over bananas.
Arrange
13 cake pieces over custard, and brush with sherry. Spread
remaining strawberry mixture over cake; top with 1 cup
bananas
and remaining custard. Top with 13 cake pieces; brush with
remaining sherry. Cover and chill for at least 8 hours.
Uncover
and spread whipped topping over top; sprinkle with almonds.
Yield: 12 servings (serving size: about 3/4 cup).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 277 (25% from fat); FAT 7.6g (sat 3.8g, mono 2.3g,
poly
0.7g); PROTEIN 6g; CARB 44g; FIBER 0.8g; CHOL 137mg; IRON
1.3mg;
SODIUM 129mg; CALC 78mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Sour Cream Coffeecake

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 143

INGREDIENTS FOR 16 SERVINGS:
Streusel:
1/4 cup granulated sugar
1/4 cup coarsely chopped walnuts
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
Cake:
2 cups granulated sugar
10 tablespoons butter, softened
1/2 cup (4 ounces) block-style fat-free cream cheese
2 large egg whites
1 large egg
2 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup fat-free sour cream
1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
Cooking spray
1 teaspoon powdered sugar

INSTRUCTIONS:
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

2. To prepare streusel, combine first 3 ingredients in a
small
bowl; set aside.

3. To prepare cake, beat 2 cups sugar, butter, and cream
cheese
at medium speed of a mixer until well-blended (about 5
minutes).
Add egg whites and egg, 1 at a time, beating well after each
addition. Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level
with
a knife. Combine flour and next 3 ingredients (flour through
salt), stirring well with a whisk. Add flour mixture to
sugar
mixture alternately with sour cream, beginning and ending
with
flour mixture. Stir in vanilla.

4. Spoon half of batter into bottom of a 12-cup Bundt pan
coated
with cooking spray; sprinkle with streusel. Spoon remaining
batter over streusel; spread evenly. Bake at 350 degrees for
1
hour or until a wooden pick inserted in center comes out
clean.
Cool in pan 10 minutes on a wire rack; remove from pan. Cool
completely on wire rack. Sprinkle with powdered sugar. Yield
16
servings (serving size: 1 slice).

Note: We also tested this cake substituting 1 cup light
butter
(such as Land O Lakes) for 10 tablespoons regular butter.
Because
the total fat was slightly lower using light butter, we
discovered we could increase the walnuts from 1/4 cup to 1/2
cup
and still have about the same amount of calories and fat.

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 265 (30% from fat); FAT 8.8g (sat 4.7g, mono 2.5g,
poly
1.1g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 41.9g; FIBER 0.6g; CHOL 34mg; IRON
0.9mg;
SODIUM 228mg; CALC 38mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Spiced Pear Sundae With Sugared Chestnuts

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 158

INGREDIENTS FOR 2 SERVINGS:
2 cups thinly sliced pear (about 2 pears)
1/4 cup fresh lemon juice
1 cup water
1/4 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar, divided
1 teaspoon ground cinnamon
1/4 teaspoon ground cloves
2 tablespoons honey
3 tablespoons coarsely chopped cooked shelled chestnuts
(about
1/4 pound in shell)
1/2 cup vanilla low-fat frozen yogurt

INSTRUCTIONS:
This dessert serves two, but the recipe can easily be
doubled.

1. Combine the pear and lemon juice; set aside. Place water
in a
medium skillet, and bring to a boil. Stir in 3 tablespoons
sugar,
cinnamon, and cloves; reduce heat to medium. Add pear
mixture;
cover and cook 6 minutes or until tender. Remove pear with a
slotted spoon, and keep warm. Add honey to pan, and cook
until
mixture begins to thicken (about 5 minutes).

2. Combine the chestnuts and 2 tablespoons sugar in a small
saucepan over medium heat; cook 3 minutes or until sugar
coats
the chestnuts, stirring frequently. Remove chestnuts from
pan.
Cool on wax paper. Arrange pear on 2 serving plates. Pour
sauce
over pear, and top with frozen yogurt. Sprinkle with
chestnuts,
and serve immediately. Yield: 2 servings (serving size: 2/3
cup
pear, 1/4 cup sauce, 1/4 cup yogurt, and 1 1/2 tablespoons
nuts).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 364 (4% from fat); FAT 1.8g (sat 0.6g, mono 0.2g,
poly
0.5g); PROTEIN 2.4g; CARB 91.1g; FIBER 5.9g; CHOL 4mg; IRON
1.1mg; SODIUM 16mg; CALC 79mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Sweet Potato Pie With Hazelnut Streusel

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 115

INGREDIENTS FOR 10 SERVINGS:
1 (9-inch) Graham Cracker Piecrust
Filling:
1-1/2 cups mashed cooked sweet potato (about 3/4 pound)
2/3 cup granulated sugar
1/2 cup evaporated fat-free milk
2 teaspoons vanilla extract
1/2 teaspoon ground nutmeg
1/4 teaspoon salt
1/4 teaspoon ground mace
3 large eggs
Streusel:
1/4 cup hazelnuts
1/4 cup all-purpose flour
1/4 cup packed dark brown sugar
3/4 teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 tablespoons chilled butter or stick margarine, cut into
small
pieces

INSTRUCTIONS:
The Graham Cracker Piecrust recipe can be found in the 1999
December issue.

1. Prepare and bake Graham Cracker Piecrust in a 9-inch pie
plate, and cool on a wire rack.

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees.

3. To prepare filling, combine the sweet potato and the next
7
ingredients (sweet potato through eggs) in a food processor;
process until smooth. Scrape sides of bowl once. Pour
mixture
into prepared crust.

4. To prepare streusel, place hazelnuts on a baking sheet.
Bake
at 350 degrees for 15 minutes, stirring once. Turn nuts out
onto
a towel. Roll up towel; rub off skins. Chop nuts. Lightly
spoon
flour into a dry measuring cup; level with a knife. Combine
flour, brown sugar, and cinnamon in a bowl; cut in butter
with a
pastry blender or 2 knives until mixture resembles coarse
meal.
Stir in hazelnuts. Sprinkle filling with streusel. Bake pie
at
350 degrees for 45 minutes or until set. Cool on a wire
rack.
Yield: 10 servings (serving size: 1 wedge).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 295 (25% from fat); FAT 8.2g (sat 3g, mono 3.4g,
poly
1.1g); PROTEIN 5.5g; CARB 50.2g; FIBER 2.1g; CHOL 76mg; IRON
1.5mg; SODIUM 224mg; CALC 76mg

***********

CookWare(tm) from Cooking Light(r)

Triple-Lemon Genoise With Buttercream and Raspberries

SOURCE: Cooking Light YEAR: 1999 ISSUE: December PAGE: 139

INGREDIENTS FOR 12 SERVINGS:
Classic Genoise
1 teaspoon grated lemon rind
Buttercream frosting:
2 tablespoons butter or stick margarine, softened
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 teaspoon vanilla extract
1 (8-ounce) block 1/3-less-fat cream cheese, chilled
2 cups powdered sugar
Lemon syrup:
1/3 cup boiling water
1/4 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons fresh lemon juice
Remaining ingredients:
1-1/2 cups fresh raspberries

INSTRUCTIONS:
Add 1 teaspoon lemon rind to the genoise batter for this
decadent-tasting dessert.

The Classic Genoise recipe can be found in the 1999 December
issue.

1. Prepare Classic Genoise as directed in a 9-inch
springform
pan, adding 1 teaspoon lemon rind to batter. Cool cake
completely.

2. To prepare buttercream frosting, beat butter and next 3
ingredients (butter through cream cheese) at medium speed of
mixer until smooth. Lightly spoon powdered sugar into dry
measuring cups; level with a knife. Gradually add powdered
sugar
to butter mixture; beat at low speed just until blended (do
not
overbeat). Cover and chill.

3. To prepare lemon syrup, combine water and granulated
sugar in
a small bowl; stir until sugar dissolves. Stir in lemon
juice;
cool to room temperature.

4. To assemble the cake, split the Classic Genoise in half
horizontally using a serrated knife. Place bottom layer, cut
side
up, on a serving platter, and brush with half of lemon
syrup.
Spread with 3/4 cup frosting. Arrange 3/4 cup raspberries on
top
of frosting. Top with remaining cake layer, cut side down,
and
brush with remaining syrup. Spread remaining frosting over
top
and sides of the cake. Top with 3/4 cup raspberries. Store
cake
loosely covered in the refrigerator. Yield: 12 servings
(serving
size: 1 slice).

NUTRITIONAL INFORMATION:
CALORIES 278 (33% from fat); FAT 10.2g (sat 5.7g, mono 3.1g,
poly
0.6g); PROTEIN 5g; CARB 42.3g; FIBER 1.1g; CHOL 98mg; IRON
1.1mg;
SODIUM 161mg; CALC 29mg

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\

texpat

If a friend could bake the crust of this dessert for you the day before, the
rest of it is no-bake and it's very good.

1/2 C. butter
1 C. flour
1 C. chopped pecans
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 C. whipped topping
1 C. confectioner's sugar
1 small pkg. EACH chocolate and vanilla instant pudding mixes
3 C. milk
2 C. whipped topping

Melt butter (or margarine) in 9 X 13 baking dish in oven at 350. Mix in
flour and pecans; press firmly into dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool
completely. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If it's not completely cool when you add the
rest of this, it'll tear apart. I usually make it the day before, or at
least 4-6 hours before.

Blend cream cheese, 1 C. whipped topping and powdered sugar. Spread over
cooled crust. Combine pudding mixes and milk. Beat at medium speed for 1-2
minutes or until thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer. Add layer of 2
C. whipped topping. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Chill until serving time.
24 servings.

"Lolailo Riapitá" > wrote in message
.. .

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo
>

> --
> WHAT?!?! You haven't heard about BookCrossing.com yet? Go immediately
> to:
>
> http://bookcrossing.com/referral/GorgeousGlo
>
> and let the good karma begin.

texpat

If a friend could bake the crust of this dessert for you the day before, the
rest of it is no-bake and it's very good.

1/2 C. butter
1 C. flour
1 C. chopped pecans
8 oz. cream cheese, softened
1 C. whipped topping
1 C. confectioner's sugar
1 small pkg. EACH chocolate and vanilla instant pudding mixes
3 C. milk
2 C. whipped topping

Melt butter (or margarine) in 9 X 13 baking dish in oven at 350. Mix in
flour and pecans; press firmly into dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool
completely. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If it's not completely cool when you add the
rest of this, it'll tear apart. I usually make it the day before, or at
least 4-6 hours before.

Blend cream cheese, 1 C. whipped topping and powdered sugar. Spread over
cooled crust. Combine pudding mixes and milk. Beat at medium speed for 1-2
minutes or until thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer. Add layer of 2
C. whipped topping. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Chill until serving time.
24 servings.

"Lolailo Riapitá" > wrote in message
.. .

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo
>

> --
> WHAT?!?! You haven't heard about BookCrossing.com yet? Go immediately
> to:
>
> http://bookcrossing.com/referral/GorgeousGlo
>
> and let the good karma begin.

Andrew H. Carter

On Sat, 20 Nov 2004 21:47:04 -0500, Andrew H. Carter
> scribbled some thoughts:

>NOTE: I have tested none of these. I exported all of the
>recipes in the Desert category. I have not culled the ones
>requiring baking, given the possibility that you might be
>able to prep it at home, then bake it on site? That and the
>others might find them useful.
>

>*** Mint-Chocolate Ice-Cream Cake ***
>*** Spiced Pear Sundae With Sugared Chestnuts ***
>
>Exported from my Cooking Light Cookware December 1999:

Additionally from my Sample recipes in Meal Master, which
incidentally you can get he

http://home.comcast.net/~episoft/mmdown.htm
http://home.comcast.net/~episoft/mm806f.exe

Trying to find the old repository wherein I downed my
massive MMF files I found this:

http://www.accuchef.com/recipes.htm

It's not the same site, but worth a try. Note: doing a test
download, they seem to be in the MM805 format, so it should
work, if nothing else, those are plain text files inside the
zips.

So many recipes, so little time. Such is life.

Title: Kiwi Fruit Gelato
Categories: Desserts, Fruits
Yield: 4 Servings MM#: 7

1 c Water 4 Kiwifruit; pared
1/2 c Sugar 5 tb Lemon juice
1/2 c Corn syrup, light 1/4 ts Lemon peel; grated

Combine water, sugar and corn syrup in saucepan. Cook and
stir 2 minutes
or until sugar is dissolved. Puree kiwi in food processor
or blender to
equal 3/4 cup puree. Add lemon juice, peel and sugar mix.
Pour into shallow
metal pan and freeze for approximately 1 hour or until the
mixture is firm,
but not solid. When chilled, spoon into a chilled bowl and
beat with an
electric mixer until the mix is light and fluffy. Return
it to the freezer
for approximately 2 hours or until firm enough to scoop.

**************

If you want to get soused:

Title: Whiskey Balls
Categories: Desserts, Candies, Misc.
Yield: 36 Servings MM#: 379

3 c Vanilla wafer crumbs 1/2 c Bourbon
1/2 c Finely chopped pecans 3 tb Light corn syrup
1/2 c Unsweetened cocoa Salt, if desired
2 c Confectioner's sugar

1. Blend together the crumbs, nuts, cocoa, 1 cup
confectioner's sugar, bourbon, corn syrup, and a dash of
salt. Form into small balls the size of walnuts.

2. Roll each ball in the remaining 1 cup confectioner's
sugar and place on a cookie sheet. Chill in the
refrigerator for several hours or overnight.

Note: It is traditional in the South to use bourbon, but
rye may also be used. This confection -- or at least a
version of it -- was an early Southern version of those
chocolate truffles that became the rage for
chocolate lovers during the 1980s in this country. The
whiskey balls are made, of course, with cocoa rather than
chocolate.

~-From Craig Claiborne's "Southern Cooking"

~-Lovingly hacked in for the FIDO Cooking Echo by Wesley
Pitts, the
Bourbon Cowboy.

--

Sincerely, | NOTE: Best viewed in a fixed pitch font
| (©) (©)
Andrew H. Carter | ------ooo--(_)--ooo------
d(-_-)b | /// \\\
zxcvbob

Lolailo Riapitá wrote:
> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked
> that i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot
> bake. I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that
> could be suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not
> impressed me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

This should be rich enough ;-) You could make it in a ready-baked pie
crust, and toast the almonds in a skillet:

From: (Lynn Gifford)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Subject: French Silk Pie
Date: 11 Mar 2004 09:11:50 -0800

> It took me fifteen years to get this recipe. It was originally called
> "Pierette Pie". For years, they served it every Thursday at Charlie's
> Restaurant in Minot, North Dakota. Everybody in Minot called it
> "Thursday Pie".
>
> Charlie's Chocolate Pie
>
> 1 pie shell (unbaked)
> 1/2 cup slivered almonds
> 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> 1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter
> 3/4 cup white sugar
> 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella, use egg substitute.)
> 1 package vanilla instant pudding
> 1 1/2 cups whole milk
> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
> 2 cups sweetened whipped cream

> Heat oven to 400°. With fork, prick sides and bottom of piecrust.
> Sprinkle almonds all over the bottom of the crust Bake until crust is
> golden and almonds are toasted (about ten minutes but check after
> five!). Remove from oven and allow to cool. Take about a tablespoon
> or two of nuts out of the cooled pie shell and reserve.
>
> Unwrap chocolate and place in small bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM for two
> minutes. Poke at the chocolate to see if it's melted. (It won't LOOK
> melted.) If it's NOT melted, add 30 seconds at a time until it is.
> Set aside In large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy.
> Add sugar a tablespoon or two at a time. Beating thoroughly after
> each addition. (Don't rush this! You are dissolving the sugar in the
> butter.) Beat the melted chocolate into the butter/sugar stuff. Make
> sure the chocolate is not too hot, otherwise it will melt the butter!
> Add eggs one at a time beating thoroughly in between.
>
> Spread chocolate stuff evenly into pie shell. Refrigerate. In a clean
> bowl, with wire whisk, blend pudding mix, milk and almond extract.
> Whisk until smooth and thick. Spread over chocolate mixture.
> Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spread pie with
> sweetened whipped cream, sprinkle with reserved almonds.
>
> Lynn from Fargo

Best regards,
Bob
zxcvbob

From: (Lynn Gifford)
Newsgroups: rec.food.cooking
Date: 11 Mar 2004 09:11:50 -0800

> It took me fifteen years to get this recipe. It was originally called
> "Pierette Pie". For years, they served it every Thursday at Charlie's
> Restaurant in Minot, North Dakota. Everybody in Minot called it
> "Thursday Pie".
>
> Charlie's Chocolate Pie
>
> 1 pie shell (unbaked)
> 1/2 cup slivered almonds
> 3 ounces unsweetened chocolate
> 1/2 cup (one stick) softened butter
> 3/4 cup white sugar
> 2 eggs (if you worry about salmonella, use egg substitute.)
> 1 package vanilla instant pudding
> 1 1/2 cups whole milk
> 1/2 teaspoon almond extract.
> 2 cups sweetened whipped cream

> Heat oven to 400°. With fork, prick sides and bottom of piecrust.
> Sprinkle almonds all over the bottom of the crust Bake until crust is
> golden and almonds are toasted (about ten minutes but check after
> five!). Remove from oven and allow to cool. Take about a tablespoon
> or two of nuts out of the cooled pie shell and reserve.
>
> Unwrap chocolate and place in small bowl. Microwave on MEDIUM for two
> minutes. Poke at the chocolate to see if it's melted. (It won't LOOK
> melted.) If it's NOT melted, add 30 seconds at a time until it is.
> Set aside In large mixing bowl, beat softened butter until fluffy.
> Add sugar a tablespoon or two at a time. Beating thoroughly after
> each addition. (Don't rush this! You are dissolving the sugar in the
> butter.) Beat the melted chocolate into the butter/sugar stuff. Make
> sure the chocolate is not too hot, otherwise it will melt the butter!
> Add eggs one at a time beating thoroughly in between.
>
> Spread chocolate stuff evenly into pie shell. Refrigerate. In a clean
> bowl, with wire whisk, blend pudding mix, milk and almond extract.
> Whisk until smooth and thick. Spread over chocolate mixture.
> Refrigerate for several hours. Before serving, spread pie with
> sweetened whipped cream, sprinkle with reserved almonds.
>
> Lynn from Fargo

Best regards,
Bob

Sheryl Rosen

in article , Lolailo Riapitá at
wrote on 11/20/04 8:58 PM:

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

Try this, except purchase the gingerbread cake from the store or the bakery.
If you can't find gingerbread cake, look for "spice cake".

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
See this recipe on air Tuesday Nov. 23 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 servings
User Rating:*

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie
filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of
gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding
mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat
with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of
the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle
can be layered in a punch bowl.

Episode#: PA1C18
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Sheryl Rosen

wrote on 11/20/04 8:58 PM:

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

Try this, except purchase the gingerbread cake from the store or the bakery.
If you can't find gingerbread cake, look for "spice cake".

Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
See this recipe on air Tuesday Nov. 23 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.

Recipe Summary
Difficulty: Easy
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Cook Time: 30 minutes
Yield: 20 servings
User Rating:*

2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
1/2 cup packed brown sugar
1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional

Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie
filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of
gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding
mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat
with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of
the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle
can be layered in a punch bowl.

Episode#: PA1C18
Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

Mike Beede

> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

What about a key lime pie? I have a friend who insists they be frozen,
and that's good, but I like them just at plain old refrigerator temp. You'd
have to get a premade graham cracker shell....

Mike Beede
Mike Beede

> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

What about a key lime pie? I have a friend who insists they be frozen,
and that's good, but I like them just at plain old refrigerator temp. You'd
have to get a premade graham cracker shell....

Mike Beede
Bob (this one)

Lolailo Riapit=E1 wrote:

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that=

> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake. =

> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>=20
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

It's a silly one but I guarantee it'll be the hit of the day.

Recipe:
egg nog (commercial or home made)
instant vanilla pudding
Whisk egg nog into vanilla pudding according to the package directions=20
for using milk. Add a splash of Marsala or bourbon or not as suits=20
you. That's it.

Garnish with crumbled ginger snaps or slivered almonds quickly saut=E9ed =

with cinnamon, ginger and nutmeg or gratings of chocolate or serve=20
with truffles made with bourbon...

A wonderful 90-year-old woman called my radio program this week and=20
told me about it. I did it tonight as an experiment. It was wonderful.

Really.

Pastorio

Dog3

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in
> :
>

>> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
>> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
>> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
>> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
>> me.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>>
>> Thank you in advance!!!
>>
>> Lolailo
>>

> If you used a pre-baked pie shell or graham cracker or gingersnap crumb
> crust, you could make a pumpkin chiffon pie. This would seem suitable.

Yes, even a chocolate pie with whipped topping. Not my first choice but
considering the alternatives with no oven.

Michael
Dog3

Wayne Boatwright > wrote in
:

> Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in
> :
>

>> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
>> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
>> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
>> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
>> me.
>>
>> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>>
>> Thank you in advance!!!
>>
>> Lolailo
>>

> If you used a pre-baked pie shell or graham cracker or gingersnap crumb
> crust, you could make a pumpkin chiffon pie. This would seem suitable.

Yes, even a chocolate pie with whipped topping. Not my first choice but
considering the alternatives with no oven.

Michael
Siobhan Perricone

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 01:58:21 GMT, Lolailo Riapitá
> wrote:

>I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
>i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
>I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
>suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
>me.

Panna cotta. No baking at all and very impressive. Here's a repost of my
low carb version of a panna cotta recipe. If you don't want it to be low
carb, just use sugar instead of splenda in the same amount.

[start quote]

This is a brilliant dessert. It's simple and delicious, and a low carb
version is dead easy. It's based on a recipe I got out of a Bon Appetit
magazine. I leave in the honey because it's only 1 tablespoon, and that's
only 17 carbs. For the total carbs, I'm in a quandary. My container of
whipping cream says it has 0 carbs per serving. Not <1, actually 0.
However, the UDSDA database says one cup of whipping cream has 6.6 carbs.
So I don't know who to believe. I'm inclined to believe the USDA. In any
case, it's still a very low carb dessert.

1/4 cup cold water
4 teaspoons unflavoured gelatin (this is not quite two packets, so measure
it out)

4 cups Heavy whipping cream
1 cup Splenda (use Splenda because you need to boil this)
1 tbsp Honey (orange blossom honey is recommended but any honey will do)
1/2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tbsp Vin Santo, Muscat wine, or Cream Sherry (optional, I always leave it
out)

3 cups Strawberries (this is 40 carbs)
1/2 cup Splenda or other artificial sweetener (this is 0 carbs)
OR
1/8th cup white sugar plus 3/8ths cup Splenda (this is 25 carbs)

Put the water in a metal bowl and sprinkle the gelatin over it. Let it
stand until the gelatin softens, about 10 minutes. Set the bowl in a
saucepan of simmering water. Stir just until gelatin dissolves, about 1
minute.

Combine cream, Splenda, honey, and vanilla in a heavy large saucepan. Bring
to a boil stirring until the honey is dissolved then remove from heat. Add
the gelatin mixture and the Vin Santo (if using); whisk until well blended.
Divide among custard cups (I usually do 6 1-cup ramekins, the recipe I took
this from recommends 10 3/4-cup ramekins). Chill overnight.

Clean, hull, and smoosh up or slice the strawberries. Toss with some
Splenda (sometimes I add about 1/8th cup real sugar to help the juice come
out a little better). You can puree the strawberries into a sauce if you
like, or just use them a little smooshed or sliced.

At serving, dip the bottoms of the ramekins in a bowl of hot water to
loosen, then unmold onto a plate. Ladle some strawberries/sauce over the
top and serve.

USDA-based Nutritional information:
Panna Cotta is 43.4 carbs
Strawberries with 1/8th cup sugar and Splenda is 65 carbs
Strawberries with only Splenda is 40 carbs

Whipping cream container nutritional info:
Panna Cotta is 17 carbs (berries remain the same)

Divide all this by the number of servings for the carbs per serving

--
Siobhan Perricone
Humans wrote the bible,
Rick & Cyndi

"texpat" > wrote in message
> If a friend could bake the crust of this dessert for you the day before,
> the rest of it is no-bake and it's very good.
>
> 1/2 C. butter
> 1 C. flour
> 1 C. chopped pecans
> 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
> 1 C. whipped topping
> 1 C. confectioner's sugar
> 1 small pkg. EACH chocolate and vanilla instant pudding mixes
> 3 C. milk
> 2 C. whipped topping
>
> Melt butter (or margarine) in 9 X 13 baking dish in oven at 350. Mix in
> flour and pecans; press firmly into dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool
> completely. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If it's not completely cool when you add
> the rest of this, it'll tear apart. I usually make it the day before, or
> at least 4-6 hours before.
>
> Blend cream cheese, 1 C. whipped topping and powdered sugar. Spread over
> cooled crust. Combine pudding mixes and milk. Beat at medium speed for 1-2
> minutes or until thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer. Add layer of 2
> C. whipped topping. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Chill until serving
> time. 24 servings.
>
> ====================<snip>

Actually, if she made a graham cracker crust - there wouldn't be any baking
at all!

Cyndi

Rick & Cyndi

"texpat" > wrote in message
> If a friend could bake the crust of this dessert for you the day before,
> the rest of it is no-bake and it's very good.
>
> 1/2 C. butter
> 1 C. flour
> 1 C. chopped pecans
> 8 oz. cream cheese, softened
> 1 C. whipped topping
> 1 C. confectioner's sugar
> 1 small pkg. EACH chocolate and vanilla instant pudding mixes
> 3 C. milk
> 2 C. whipped topping
>
> Melt butter (or margarine) in 9 X 13 baking dish in oven at 350. Mix in
> flour and pecans; press firmly into dish. Bake for 20 minutes. Cool
> completely. THIS IS IMPORTANT. If it's not completely cool when you add
> the rest of this, it'll tear apart. I usually make it the day before, or
> at least 4-6 hours before.
>
> Blend cream cheese, 1 C. whipped topping and powdered sugar. Spread over
> cooled crust. Combine pudding mixes and milk. Beat at medium speed for 1-2
> minutes or until thickened. Spread over cream cheese layer. Add layer of 2
> C. whipped topping. Garnish with shaved chocolate. Chill until serving
> time. 24 servings.
>
> ====================<snip>

Actually, if she made a graham cracker crust - there wouldn't be any baking
at all!

Cyndi

Tara

trifle if you don't mind buying the cake
fudge -- chocolate and peanut butter
pralines
tiramisu -- buy the ladyfingers
ice cream
no bake cookies -- not too elegant, but so good

Tara

sf

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 14:38:00 GMT, "Rick & Cyndi"
> wrote:
>
> Actually, if she made a graham cracker crust - there wouldn't be any baking
> at all!

Graham cracker crusts fall apart if they aren't baked.

sf

sf

I'm watching this show right now! It would be more of a
Christmas dessert for me, 'cause I've gotta have my "boring"
pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving or it's not a real TDay for me.

Did you think her husband (Michael) looks just like Santa
Claus?

]`````````````````

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:07:01 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
> Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
> See this recipe on air Tuesday Nov. 23 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.
>

> Recipe Summary
> Difficulty: Easy
> Prep Time: 10 minutes
> Cook Time: 30 minutes
> Yield: 20 servings
> User Rating:Â*
>

> 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
> 1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
> 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
> 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
> 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
> 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
> 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
>

> Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
> Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie
> filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of
> gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding
> mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat
> with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of
> the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle
> can be layered in a punch bowl.
>

> Episode#: PA1C18
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

sf
sf

I'm watching this show right now! It would be more of a
Christmas dessert for me, 'cause I've gotta have my "boring"
pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving or it's not a real TDay for me.

Did you think her husband (Michael) looks just like Santa
Claus?

]`````````````````

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:07:01 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
> Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
> See this recipe on air Tuesday Nov. 23 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.
>

> Recipe Summary
> Difficulty: Easy
> Prep Time: 10 minutes
> Cook Time: 30 minutes
> Yield: 20 servings
> User Rating:Â*
>

> 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
> 1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
> 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
> 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
> 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
> 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
> 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
>

> Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
> Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie
> filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of
> gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding
> mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat
> with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of
> the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle
> can be layered in a punch bowl.
>

> Episode#: PA1C18
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

sf
sf

I'm watching this show right now! It would be more of a
Christmas dessert for me, 'cause I've gotta have my "boring"
pumpkin pie on Thanksgiving or it's not a real TDay for me.

Did you think her husband (Michael) looks just like Santa
Claus?

]`````````````````

On Sun, 21 Nov 2004 04:07:01 GMT, Sheryl Rosen
> wrote:

> Pumpkin Gingerbread Trifle
> Recipe courtesy Paula Deen
> See this recipe on air Tuesday Nov. 23 at 11:30 AM ET/PT.
>

> Recipe Summary
> Difficulty: Easy
> Prep Time: 10 minutes
> Cook Time: 30 minutes
> Yield: 20 servings
> User Rating:Â*
>

> 2 (14-ounce) packages gingerbread mix
> 1 (5.1-ounce) package cook-and-serve vanilla pudding mix
> 1 (30-ounce) can pumpkin pie filling
> 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
> 1/3 teaspoon ground cardamom or cinnamon
> 1 (12-ounce) container frozen whipped topping
> 1/2 cup gingersnaps, optional
>

> Bake the gingerbread according to the package directions; cool completely.
> Meanwhile, prepare the pudding and set aside to cool. Stir the pumpkin pie
> filling, sugar, and cardamom into the pudding. Crumble 1 batch of
> gingerbread into the bottom of a large, pretty bowl. Pour 1/2 of the pudding
> mixture over the gingerbread, then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat
> with the remaining gingerbread, pudding, and whipped topping. Sprinkle of
> the top with crushed gingersnaps, if desired. Refrigerate overnight. Trifle
> can be layered in a punch bowl.
>

> Episode#: PA1C18
> Copyright © 2003 Television Food Network, G.P., All Rights Reserved

sf
Charlotte L. Blackmer

In article >,
Tara > wrote:
>trifle if you don't mind buying the cake
>fudge -- chocolate and peanut butter
>pralines
>tiramisu -- buy the ladyfingers
>ice cream
>no bake cookies -- not too elegant, but so good

Chocolate truffles or other homemade candy.

But tiramisu or trifle with purchased ladyfingers would be a winner.

Charlotte
Matt

"Lolailo Riapitá" > wrote in message
.. .
> My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

Chocolate Pot de Creme. Simple. Quick. Delicious. Foofy sounding enough
for a holiday.

-Matt

Matt

"Lolailo Riapitá" > wrote in message
.. .
> My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

Chocolate Pot de Creme. Simple. Quick. Delicious. Foofy sounding enough
for a holiday.

-Matt

Matt

"Lolailo Riapitá" > wrote in message
.. .
> My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.

Chocolate Pot de Creme. Simple. Quick. Delicious. Foofy sounding enough
for a holiday.

-Matt

Melissa Kraus

Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in message > ...
> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

Poached pears - in either spiced wine syrup or vanilla syrup. Yes,
it's simple, but it's not austere, especially if you poach the pears
in the vanilla syrup and serve with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and
maybe a small piece of store-bought pound cake. (This assumes someone
will be bringing pumpkin pie - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without
that! If you're the only one bringing dessert, pick up a pumpkin pie
at the bakery.)

Melissa
Melissa Kraus

Lolailo Riapitá > wrote in message > ...
> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.
>
> Do you have any suggestions? Other than baking, i can do anything.
>
> Thank you in advance!!!
>
> Lolailo

Poached pears - in either spiced wine syrup or vanilla syrup. Yes,
it's simple, but it's not austere, especially if you poach the pears
in the vanilla syrup and serve with a drizzle of chocolate sauce and
maybe a small piece of store-bought pound cake. (This assumes someone
will be bringing pumpkin pie - it wouldn't be Thanksgiving without
that! If you're the only one bringing dessert, pick up a pumpkin pie
at the bakery.)

Melissa
Lolailo Riapitá

Lolailo Riapitá > wrote:

> I have been invited to Thanksgiving dinner, and the host has asked that
> i bring a dessert. My oven is not working properly, so i cannot bake.
> I have been searching on Google for a no-bake dessert that could be
> suitable for Thanksgiving dinner, but what i've seen has not impressed
> me.

Thank you everyone for your many suggestions. A friend gave me a book
called Del Fogón al Microondas (From the stove to the microwave), and i
selected a recipe from there. In fact, i made two recipes, to make
sure this was going to work. I have (liberally) translated both
recipes i tried, in case someone is interested. The cream cheese flan
was particularly good. As every microwave is different, your cook
times may vary.

Thank you again!

Best mold for flan is a Bundt-type, with a hole in the center. If you
don¹t have one, place an inverted glass in the center, or rotate from
time to time while cooking. It is always important to use ³medium²
setting, to prevent the flan from boiling. You can see the flan is
done when the center wiggles ever so slightly (like a flan should!)

For the caramel:

1 cup sugar
3 tbls water
a few drops of lemon juice

Place all ingredients in a Pyrex measuring cup. Put in microwave for 3
minutes on ³High², stir and cook for an additional 3 minutes, watching
it closely to prevent it from burning. Pour in the mold used for
making flan.

Cream Cheese Flan

1 can evaporated milk
1 can condensed milk
4 eggs
1 package (8 oz) cream cheese
1 tsp vanilla

Mix all ingredients well and pour in a caramelized mold. Place in the
oven, at medium power, between 8 - 12 minutes. Let it sit for about 10
minutes, covered with aluminum foil, before putting in fridge. Serve
cold.

Pumpkin Flan

Serves 8

1 1/4 lb. pumpkin (i used a Sweetie Pie)
2 tbsp butter
5 eggs
1/2 cup flour
1/2 tsp vanilla
2 cups milk
1 cup sugar
a pinch of salt

Place the pumpkin in a container suitable for the microwave, cover with
plastic wrap and cook on ³High² from 8 to 12 minutes. Puree in food
processor, along with the butter. Let cool. Add the rest of
ingredients. Pour in a caramelized mold and cook on ³Medium² from 8 to
12 minutes. Let sit for 15 to 25 minutes, covered, before placing in
fridge.

T day dessert Dimitri General Cooking 11 03-12-2011 04:46 AM
No Bake Peanut Butter Balls (no bake, no flour, no eggs) Duckie ® Recipes 0 10-07-2005 03:08 AM
Thanksgiving Dessert Ideas roy Recipes 0 13-11-2004 05:20 PM
ISO: Thanksgiving dessert ideas! ~*~ Bunny ~*~ Recipes 1 13-11-2004 01:08 AM
Canadian Thanksgiving--- Dessert? ? tintalle General Cooking 25 14-10-2003 05:47 PM