Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Vacuum tortillas

Becca made breakfast burritos this morning.

As usual, she wrapped corn tortillas in a damp cloth, put them in the
tortilla warmer and put the whole thing in the microwave.

Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.

And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.

It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
breakfast!

George L
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 10:33 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
> was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
> vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
> not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
> the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.
>
> And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
>
> It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
> breakfast!

It may be for the best to have that little hole there. But
another way of solving the problem would have been to put the
warmer back in the microwave to raise the internal pressure
again. :-)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2013-11-23, Sqwertz > wrote:

> A rinse in cold water would have worked.

Make that hot water. Cold water would only increase the vacuum.

--------

***-Lussac's Law: The Pressure Temperature Law, which states,
pressure is directly proportional to temperatu

P = T

--------

In short, as temperature increases, so does pressure. If temperature
decreases, likewise pressure. IOW, the tortilla warmer heated to a
maximum temperature and when it was removed from the nukifier, it
began to cool, thereby reducing internal temperature and pressure and
creating a vacuum. Put it back in the wavy machine or run under hot
water. I'd opt fer the former, as the water may wet the tortitties
when the seal breaks using the later.

nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:33:33 -0600, George Leppla
> wrote:

> Becca made breakfast burritos this morning.
>
> As usual, she wrapped corn tortillas in a damp cloth, put them in the
> tortilla warmer and put the whole thing in the microwave.
>
> Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
> was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
> vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
> not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
> the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.
>
> And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
>
> It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
> breakfast!

LOL - now that was funny... and resourceful of you, George.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 10:02 AM, notbob wrote:
> In short, as temperature increases, so does pressure. If temperature
> decreases, likewise pressure. IOW, the tortilla warmer heated to a
> maximum temperature and when it was removed from the nukifier, it
> began to cool, thereby reducing internal temperature and pressure and
> creating a vacuum. Put it back in the wavy machine or run under hot
> water. I'd opt fer the former, as the water may wet the tortitties
> when the seal breaks using the later.

Yes, thought of re-heating, etc. Figured that a tiny hole (used a 1/16"
drill) would not only solve the immediate problem but prevent it from
happening again. Helps that my tools are right in the next room so I
didn't have to go looking for them.

George L

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> On 11/23/2013 10:02 AM, notbob wrote:
>> In short, as temperature increases, so does pressure. If temperature
>> decreases, likewise pressure. IOW, the tortilla warmer heated to a
>> maximum temperature and when it was removed from the nukifier, it
>> began to cool, thereby reducing internal temperature and pressure and
>> creating a vacuum. Put it back in the wavy machine or run under hot
>> water. I'd opt fer the former, as the water may wet the tortitties
>> when the seal breaks using the later.

> Yes, thought of re-heating, etc. Figured that a tiny hole (used a 1/16"
> drill) would not only solve the immediate problem but prevent it from
> happening again. Helps that my tools are right in the next room so I
> didn't have to go looking for them.

now you have created a place for bacteria to hide.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 11:28 AM, Pico Rico wrote:
> "George Leppla" > wrote in message
>> On 11/23/2013 10:02 AM, notbob wrote:
>>> In short, as temperature increases, so does pressure. If temperature
>>> decreases, likewise pressure. IOW, the tortilla warmer heated to a
>>> maximum temperature and when it was removed from the nukifier, it
>>> began to cool, thereby reducing internal temperature and pressure and
>>> creating a vacuum. Put it back in the wavy machine or run under hot
>>> water. I'd opt fer the former, as the water may wet the tortitties
>>> when the seal breaks using the later.

>> Yes, thought of re-heating, etc. Figured that a tiny hole (used a 1/16"
>> drill) would not only solve the immediate problem but prevent it from
>> happening again. Helps that my tools are right in the next room so I
>> didn't have to go looking for them.
>>

> now you have created a place for bacteria to hide.

Microwaving can be used for sterilization e.g.:
http://news.ufl.edu/2007/01/22/zap-the-bugs/

I don't know if is a separate effect or just the rise in temperature.

--
Jim Silverton (Potomac, MD)

Extraneous "not." in Reply To.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 8:37 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> On Sat, 23 Nov 2013 09:33:33 -0600, George Leppla wrote:
>
>> Becca made breakfast burritos this morning.
>>
>> As usual, she wrapped corn tortillas in a damp cloth, put them in the
>> tortilla warmer and put the whole thing in the microwave.
>>
>> Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
>> was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
>> vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
>> not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
>> the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.
>>
>> And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
>>
>> It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
>> breakfast!

> A rinse in cold water would have worked. And for the first time in 10
> months you probably have actual cold water coming out of the taps as
> opposed to lukewarm.
>
> -sw

Maybe he didn't want wet tortillas.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 9:02 AM, notbob wrote:
> On 2013-11-23, Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> A rinse in cold water would have worked.

> Make that hot water. Cold water would only increase the vacuum.

Ding, ding, ding, ding, ding!!!

> --------
>
> ***-Lussac's Law: The Pressure Temperature Law, which states,
> pressure is directly proportional to temperatu
>
> P = T
>
> --------
>
> In short, as temperature increases, so does pressure. If temperature
> decreases, likewise pressure. IOW, the tortilla warmer heated to a
> maximum temperature and when it was removed from the nukifier, it
> began to cool, thereby reducing internal temperature and pressure and
> creating a vacuum. Put it back in the wavy machine or run under hot
> water. I'd opt fer the former, as the water may wet the tortitties
> when the seal breaks using the later.
>
> nb

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/23/2013 11:40 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I can't stand the overly bready pita breads.

But you need grill pussy, yeah?

http://img0.etsystatic.com/il_fullxfull.141053713.jpg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Leppla wrote:

>Becca made breakfast burritos this morning.
>
>As usual, she wrapped corn tortillas in a damp cloth, put them in the
>tortilla warmer and put the whole thing in the microwave.
>
>Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
>was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
>vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
>not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
>the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.
>
>And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
>
>It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
>breakfast!

I use my power tool before breakfast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"George Leppla" > wrote in message
> Becca made breakfast burritos this morning.
>
> As usual, she wrapped corn tortillas in a damp cloth, put them in the
> tortilla warmer and put the whole thing in the microwave.
>
> Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid was
> stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a vacuum and
> the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could not pry it
> open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in the lid to
> let the air in and that did the trick.
>
> And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
>
> It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
> breakfast!
>
> George L

We've had that happen with a thermos. Finally just threw it out.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 11/24/2013 12:09 AM, Sqwertz wrote:
> I hate yogurt.

Yeah, so?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 25 Nov 2013 17:17:42 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

snip
>> No dill?

>If I use dill it's dried and just for show. Not much flavor left in
>dried dill.

snip
>-sw

you need to let dried dill sit a while in whatever dish you are making
to get the flavor out.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Saturday, November 23, 2013 at 9:55:17 AM UTC-6, Joel Polowin wrote:
> On 11/23/2013 10:33 AM, George Leppla wrote:
> > Not as usual... when she took the warmer out of the microwave, the lid
> > was stuck fast. Most of the air had escaped as it heated, formed a
> > vacuum and the lid sealed tight... VERY tight. So tight that I could
> > not pry it open with a knife or screwdriver, so I drilled a tiny hole in
> > the lid to let the air in and that did the trick.
> >
> > And in the future, the hole will prevent this from happening again.
> >
> > It was the first time I needed to get out a power tool to help with
> > breakfast!

> It may be for the best to have that little hole there. But
> another way of solving the problem would have been to put the
> warmer back in the microwave to raise the internal pressure
> again. :-)

I put it back in the microwave and it opened--thanks