Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Looking for a Copycat

OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their cole
slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount of
time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?

TIA...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
wrote:

> And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
> recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?

I don't even know what bbq baked bean are. My favorite style is
Boston Baked Beans. I used to make them from scratch and then I
realize that canned baked beans were almost exactly the way I make
them (B&M back then, but even Bush's are fine), so I just buy the can
since I'm the only one who likes baked beans. As far as creamy
coleslaw is concerned, I like KFC's - so if I was making slaw for a
crowd (something I don't do), I'd use a copycat KFC recipe. Isn't the
secret ingredient vinegar? I've used the dry coleslaw dressing mix
that comes in a package and was found in the produce aisle - haven't
seen it in years though. It might be found in with the commercial
salad dressings, but I don't look in that section anymore - so I don't
know if it still exists or not.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
>very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their cole
>slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount of
>time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
>luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
>of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
>recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?
>
>TIA...

* Exported from MasterCook *

Old Fashioned Baked Beans

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
Categories : Beans

2 cups great northern beans
5 cups water
1 small onion -- finely chopped
1 1/2 teaspoons salt
1/4 pound bacon -- * see note

1/4 cup molasses
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1 teaspoon dry mustard
1/4 cup catsup
3/4 cup bean liquid -- (3/4 to 1)

Wash and sort beans, then place in bean pot. Add water, salt, onions
and meat.

Cook in bean pot about 9 to 10 hours. (This is very low heat.)

Drain beans, add seasonings and bean liquids as desired. Blend well.
Plug in bean pot 1 to 2 hours before serving. (or set in very low
oven.)

Yield:
"2 quarts"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
- -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 8g Fat (23.5%
calories from fat); 15g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
12mg Cholesterol; 731mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.

NOTES : Fat bacon or fresh pork cut in pieces.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

If you don't have a bean pot, any pot will do and put them in the oven
on a low heat.
--
Susan N.

Senior Member

Location: Foat Wuth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Holbrook[_5_] View Post
OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their cole
slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount of
time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?

TIA...
(For doctored up canned beans this one is hard to beat)

Baked Beans (ala Boss Hawg's BBQ Topeka, Kansas)

1 Gallon can of Bush's Baked beans
1 big chopped onion
1 cup dark brown sugar (or to taste)
4 or 5 strips cooked bacon
1 cup bbq sauce
3 or 4 peeled and chopped Granny Smith Apples (*or a can of apple pie filling)
1 handful golden raisins

Open the can of beans and pour off 1 cup of the liquid. Replace the missing liquid with a cup of whutever bbq sauce you want. Mix well along with the cooked bacon..chopped onyawns..brown sugar..apples and raisins. Put in a big disposable Sams pan and cook on the pit without a lid till everything gets nice and bubbly and it forms a crust on top and the apples get done. Another variant of the recipe can be found at the link below which that one could possibly be the original but it calls for Pork n' Beans so it might take mo brown sugar on that one which would seem to logical if a person used unsweetened beans. According to Big Dave a person can't really tell if its a side dish or dessert. Now he do say folks eat it up like a hawg eats slop and it is cheaper than meat.

(This is Danny Gaulden's Garlic Coleslaw Recipe..its very good)

Danny Gaulden's Garlic Cole Slaw
Danny Gaulden's Coleslaw With Garlic

Dressing
1 quart mayonnaise
1 1/4 cups white sugar
1/4 cup French's yellow mustard
2/3 cup apple cider vinegar
2 1/4 teaspoons salt
1/2 teaspoon white pepper
1/2 teaspoon black pepper
3 cloves garlic -- medium size
1 squeeze fresh lemon juice
Dry Ingredients
2 small heads green cabbage
3 large carrots
1 small head red cabbage
1 bunch green onions

Here's the "cole slaw with garlic" recipe that we use at the store. Have tried to reconstruct it to a home size portion. Hope this works for you and that you will add it to your "good recipe" list.

Mix all the above dressing ingredients, except for the garlic, together in a large bowl or mixer. Take a cup of the now made dressing and put in a blender with the garlic cloves and blend until the garlic is pureed. Pour this portion of the dressing back into the main bowl of dressing and stir till well blended. Cover and place in refrigerator for at least 3 or 4 hours to give the dressing time to blend flavors.

Shred green cabbage and place in separate bowl. Grate carrots, dice green onions till very fine, and shred 1/3 to 1/2 of th red cabbage. Place each of these into a separate bowl also. Now put as much of the prepared green cabbage as you think you will eat into a large bowl and mix the carrots, green onions, and red cabbage, one at a time and by the hand full into the green cabbage until the desired color is attained, and the slaw looks fairly "busy". Add dressing SLOWLY and stir. When it is at the wetness level you want, cover and let stand in refrigerator for at least 15 minutes. The colder it is kept, the better.

The garlic in this recipe is suppose to be the "secret ingredient", due to the way it was originally intended to be used. That is, not enough of it to single it out, but if used properly, it would leave all of your guests wondering what you had in your slaw that gave it that special, superb flavor. When used in this respect, it can make your slaw taste like you have added a hundred great things to it.However, if you are a garlic lover, then add as much of it as your little heart desires. I don't have to sleep with you (ha).
Posted to rec.food.cooking

The Cook > wrote in
:

> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>>OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But
>>I'm very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and
>>their cole slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent
>>a fair amount of time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two
>>dishes, but with no luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have
>>copycat recipes for either of these? And barring that, anyone care to
>>recommend a bbq baked bean recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe
>>they're fond of?
>>
>>TIA...

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Old Fashioned Baked Beans
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beans

> 2 cups great northern beans
> 5 cups water
> 1 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 pound bacon -- * see note
>
> 1/4 cup molasses
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/4 cup catsup
> 3/4 cup bean liquid -- (3/4 to 1)
>
> Wash and sort beans, then place in bean pot. Add water, salt, onions
> and meat.
>
> Cook in bean pot about 9 to 10 hours. (This is very low heat.)
>
> Drain beans, add seasonings and bean liquids as desired. Blend well.
> Plug in bean pot 1 to 2 hours before serving. (or set in very low
> oven.)
>
> Yield:
> "2 quarts"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 8g Fat (23.5%
> calories from fat); 15g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
> 12mg Cholesterol; 731mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
> Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
>
> NOTES : Fat bacon or fresh pork cut in pieces.
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> If you don't have a bean pot, any pot will do and put them in the oven
> on a low heat.

Now that looks good. I have no idea if it will taste anything like
Smokey Bones', but it does look good. I assume a crockpot on low would
work the way a bean pot would?

Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

wrote:

>OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
>very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their cole
>slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount of
>time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
>luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
>of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
>recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?
>
>TIA...

If you have a smoker, put a pan of any kind of beans in there with
whatever meat you are smoking. Otherwise, I would think a couple of
drops of Liquid Smoke or some prime, smoky bacon would give the flavor
you want.
Janet US
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 26, 2013 11:58:02 AM UTC-5, Sqwertz wrote:

> Many BBQ restaurants simply use one of their house BBQ sauces mixed
>
> with canned pinto beans with added onions (or onion powder) and/or
>
> tomato paste.
>

> -sw

True, true. And many add a bit of sugar, too.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 2:34 PM, Alan Holbrook wrote:
> The Cook > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>> OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But
>>> I'm very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and
>>> their cole slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent
>>> a fair amount of time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two
>>> dishes, but with no luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have
>>> copycat recipes for either of these? And barring that, anyone care to
>>> recommend a bbq baked bean recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe
>>> they're fond of?
>>>
>>> TIA...

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Old Fashioned Baked Beans
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beans
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 cups great northern beans
>> 5 cups water
>> 1 small onion -- finely chopped
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> 1/4 pound bacon -- * see note
>>
>> 1/4 cup molasses
>> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
>> 1/4 cup catsup
>> 3/4 cup bean liquid -- (3/4 to 1)
>>
>> Wash and sort beans, then place in bean pot. Add water, salt, onions
>> and meat.
>>
>> Cook in bean pot about 9 to 10 hours. (This is very low heat.)
>>
>> Drain beans, add seasonings and bean liquids as desired. Blend well.
>> Plug in bean pot 1 to 2 hours before serving. (or set in very low
>> oven.)
>>
>> Yield:
>> "2 quarts"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> - -
>>
>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 8g Fat (23.5%
>> calories from fat); 15g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
>> 12mg Cholesterol; 731mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
>> Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
>>
>> NOTES : Fat bacon or fresh pork cut in pieces.
>>
>> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>>
>> If you don't have a bean pot, any pot will do and put them in the oven
>> on a low heat.

> Now that looks good. I have no idea if it will taste anything like
> Smokey Bones', but it does look good. I assume a crockpot on low would
> work the way a bean pot would?
>
> Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.

Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

--
Janet Wilder
Way-the-heck-south Texas
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> wrote:

> I assume a crockpot on low would
> > work the way a bean pot would?
> >
> > Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.
> >

> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
> The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
close to it as I can get.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I assume a crockpot on low would
>> > work the way a bean pot would?
>> >
>> > Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.
>> >

>> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
>> The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

> I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
> because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
> have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
> I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
> the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
> close to it as I can get.

you could always turn your oven on low.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>> And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
>> recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?

> I don't even know what bbq baked bean are. My favorite style is
> Boston Baked Beans. I used to make them from scratch and then I
> realize that canned baked beans were almost exactly the way I make
> them (B&M back then, but even Bush's are fine), so I just buy the can
> since I'm the only one who likes baked beans. As far as creamy
> coleslaw is concerned, I like KFC's - so if I was making slaw for a
> crowd (something I don't do), I'd use a copycat KFC recipe. Isn't the
> secret ingredient vinegar? I've used the dry coleslaw dressing mix
> that comes in a package and was found in the produce aisle - haven't
> seen it in years though. It might be found in with the commercial
> salad dressings, but I don't look in that section anymore - so I don't
> know if it still exists or not.

BBQ beans have a smoky, sweet BBQ type sauce in them. I don't personally
care for that flavor at all. So I can't help with the recipe. That is one
of the few bean types that I don't like. But I do love the Boston and other
kinds of baked beans.

Can't help with the slaw either because when I make it, I usually use the
vinegar type dressing.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"The Cook" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
> wrote:
>
>>OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
>>very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their
>>cole
>>slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount
>>of
>>time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
>>luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
>>of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
>>recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?
>>
>>TIA...

> * Exported from MasterCook *
>
> Old Fashioned Baked Beans
>
> Recipe By :
> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
> Categories : Beans

> 2 cups great northern beans
> 5 cups water
> 1 small onion -- finely chopped
> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
> 1/4 pound bacon -- * see note
>
> 1/4 cup molasses
> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
> 1/4 cup catsup
> 3/4 cup bean liquid -- (3/4 to 1)
>
> Wash and sort beans, then place in bean pot. Add water, salt, onions
> and meat.
>
> Cook in bean pot about 9 to 10 hours. (This is very low heat.)
>
> Drain beans, add seasonings and bean liquids as desired. Blend well.
> Plug in bean pot 1 to 2 hours before serving. (or set in very low
> oven.)
>
> Yield:
> "2 quarts"
> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
> - -
>
> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 8g Fat (23.5%
> calories from fat); 15g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
> 12mg Cholesterol; 731mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
> Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
>
> NOTES : Fat bacon or fresh pork cut in pieces.
>
> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>
> If you don't have a bean pot, any pot will do and put them in the oven
> on a low heat.
> --
> Susan N.
>
> "Moral indignation is in most cases two percent moral,
> 48 percent indignation, and 50 percent envy."
> Vittorio De Sica, Italian movie director (1901-1974)

That recipe looks good and is pretty much how I would make my beans, but it
does not have a BBQ flavor.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Alan Holbrook" > wrote in message
. 3.30...
> The Cook > wrote in
> :
>
>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 03:48:52 -0500, Alan Holbrook >
>> wrote:
>>
>>>OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But
>>>I'm very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and
>>>their cole slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent
>>>a fair amount of time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two
>>>dishes, but with no luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have
>>>copycat recipes for either of these? And barring that, anyone care to
>>>recommend a bbq baked bean recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe
>>>they're fond of?
>>>
>>>TIA...

>> * Exported from MasterCook *
>>
>> Old Fashioned Baked Beans
>>
>> Recipe By :
>> Serving Size : 8 Preparation Time :0:00
>> Categories : Beans
>>
>> Amount Measure Ingredient -- Preparation Method
>> -------- ------------ --------------------------------
>> 2 cups great northern beans
>> 5 cups water
>> 1 small onion -- finely chopped
>> 1 1/2 teaspoons salt
>> 1/4 pound bacon -- * see note
>>
>> 1/4 cup molasses
>> 2 tablespoons brown sugar
>> 1 teaspoon dry mustard
>> 1/4 cup catsup
>> 3/4 cup bean liquid -- (3/4 to 1)
>>
>> Wash and sort beans, then place in bean pot. Add water, salt, onions
>> and meat.
>>
>> Cook in bean pot about 9 to 10 hours. (This is very low heat.)
>>
>> Drain beans, add seasonings and bean liquids as desired. Blend well.
>> Plug in bean pot 1 to 2 hours before serving. (or set in very low
>> oven.)
>>
>> Yield:
>> "2 quarts"
>> - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
>> - -
>>
>> Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 286 Calories; 8g Fat (23.5%
>> calories from fat); 15g Protein; 41g Carbohydrate; 10g Dietary Fiber;
>> 12mg Cholesterol; 731mg Sodium. Exchanges: 2 Grain(Starch); 1 Lean
>> Meat; 0 Vegetable; 1 Fat; 1/2 Other Carbohydrates.
>>
>> NOTES : Fat bacon or fresh pork cut in pieces.
>>
>> Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0
>>
>> If you don't have a bean pot, any pot will do and put them in the oven
>> on a low heat.

> Now that looks good. I have no idea if it will taste anything like
> Smokey Bones', but it does look good. I assume a crockpot on low would
> work the way a bean pot would?
>
> Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.

If you use the Crock-Pot, you want it on high for the first hour. After
that, you can cook them for as long as you want or need to. I have left
them in there for close to 16 hours and they were fine.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Janet Wilder" > wrote in message
eb.com...
> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm" The
> beans and the cooker went into the trash.

Mine were fine in the Rival. Have never burned anything in a Crock-Pot.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"sf" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I assume a crockpot on low would
>> > work the way a bean pot would?
>> >
>> > Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.
>> >

>> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
>> The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

> I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
> because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
> have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
> I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
> the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
> close to it as I can get.

Now is the time to get one. Good sales for the college kids and you can get
cool colors!

I have a nice looking vintage bean pot and little cups for serving but I no
longer use it because it is too small for me. I can easily eat the amount
of beans it contains all by myself. Heh. Yes, I am a bean pig!

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

On Monday, August 26, 2013 1:48:52 AM UTC-7, Alan Holbrook wrote:

Can you tell me approximately what was in the beans. Was is one kind of bean or a mixture?
Was there any meat in there? Did they taste like a bbq sauce? I don't know if my recipe is even close but it is my favorite and has been a huge favorite with many people.

http://www.hizzoners.com/index.php/r...al-baked-beans

and.....having owned a restaurant and knowing what other restaurants do.....I would not put it past Smokey Bones to just use a jarred Kraft Coleslaw Dressing. Seriously. If you don't have a problem with bottled dressings try some.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 7:05 PM, sf wrote:
> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > wrote:
>
>> I assume a crockpot on low would
>>> work the way a bean pot would?
>>>
>>> Anyhow, it's in my queue. Thanks.
>>>

>> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
>> The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

> I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
> because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
> have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
> I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
> the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
> close to it as I can get.

The cheapest smaller model from Wal Mart will almost certainly be
sufficient, barring that you have a large family to feed.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-...Black/14922959
Crock-Pot 4-Quart Slow Cooker, Black
4.4 out of 5
$16.58

I mention these smaller models as they tend to have a lower output heat
element and may cook more slowly.

Still the best bet is any garage with an older (80s) but functional
crockpot.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/26/2013 9:29 AM, sf wrote:
> I don't even know what bbq baked bean are.

It can be beans with BBQ sauce added, or a metal crock done over a
smoker on the grate.

This recipe is a good place to start.

http://www.food.com/recipe/ranch-sty...oy-beans-85199

To that I'd add 1/2 cup of my preferred BBQ sauce (home made or store
bought)

1 tsp. cumin

Several shakes of liquid smoke hickory flavor

2 tsp. Tabasco chipotle sauce.

I'd always sub in a roasted and peeled and cut hatch pepper for the
green, but a poblano is good as well.

And most importantly good thick cut bacon, cubed and rendered about 6
slices, a 1/2 cup of diced ham, or one ham hock.

Also, if you can find them, Anasazi beans are superior!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:07:24 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> Also, if you can find them, Anasazi beans are superior!

I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do
you recommend using them in?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:49:16 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> On 8/26/2013 7:05 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder
> > > wrote:
> >
> >> I assume a crockpot on low would

> >> Just make sure it's not a Rival brand. Mine burned beans on "warm"
> >> The beans and the cooker went into the trash.

> > I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
> > because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
> > have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
> > I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
> > the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
> > close to it as I can get.

> The cheapest smaller model from Wal Mart will almost certainly be
> sufficient, barring that you have a large family to feed.
>

> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-...Black/14922959
> Crock-Pot 4-Quart Slow Cooker, Black
> 4.4 out of 5
> $16.58
>
> I mention these smaller models as they tend to have a lower output heat
> element and may cook more slowly.
>
> Still the best bet is any garage with an older (80s) but functional
> crockpot.

Great, thanks. I'll look at places like Target for it. I've been
concerned because someone mentioned in another thread that slow
cookers have a higher heat than they used to have and I wasn't
confident that a new model wouldn't burn BBB.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/27/2013 5:21 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:07:24 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> Also, if you can find them, Anasazi beans are superior!
>>

> I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do
> you recommend using them in?

We like them in bean dip, and frankly I think their sweetness makes them
brilliant in red beans and rice.

They can be fine also for a bean salad.

And I love the deeper color and general firmness for refries.

We order from:

http://www.anasazibeans.com/

They say no need to soak, but we do, just not as long.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/27/2013 5:23 PM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 10:49:16 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> On 8/26/2013 7:05 PM, sf wrote:
>>> On Mon, 26 Aug 2013 17:30:44 -0500, Janet Wilder

>>> I've been thinking maybe I should "invest" in an inexpensive crockpot
>>> because the best meat for tamales is done overnight in one and if I
>>> have multiple uses for a kitchen "want", I'm more inclined to buy it.
>>> I know my bean pot is "somewhere", but where? It disappeared after
>>> the kitchen update. Somewhere in the basement is as geographically
>>> close to it as I can get.

>> The cheapest smaller model from Wal Mart will almost certainly be
>> sufficient, barring that you have a large family to feed.
>>

>> http://www.walmart.com/ip/Crock-Pot-...Black/14922959
>> Crock-Pot 4-Quart Slow Cooker, Black
>> 4.4 out of 5
>> $16.58
>>
>> I mention these smaller models as they tend to have a lower output heat
>> element and may cook more slowly.
>>
>> Still the best bet is any garage with an older (80s) but functional
>> crockpot.

> Great, thanks. I'll look at places like Target for it. I've been
> concerned because someone mentioned in another thread that slow
> cookers have a higher heat than they used to have and I wasn't
> confident that a new model wouldn't burn BBB.

They're all _terrible_ imo.

I literally just downsized even though I've a newer large one with a
temperature probe. Simple and smaller just works.

Btw, should have said any garage "sale"...

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:42:35 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> On 8/27/2013 5:21 PM, sf wrote:
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:07:24 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
> >
> >> Also, if you can find them, Anasazi beans are superior!
> >>

> > I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do
> > you recommend using them in?

> We like them in bean dip, and frankly I think their sweetness makes them
> brilliant in red beans and rice.

I haven't seen that one, but I have bought Vaquero beans - which look
like anasazi, only in black & white.

> http://beautifulmemorablefood.files....2/p1070186.jpg
> They can be fine also for a bean salad.
>
> And I love the deeper color and general firmness for refries.
>
> We order from:
>
> http://www.anasazibeans.com/
>
> They say no need to soak, but we do, just not as long.

That's *really* fresh! I think most dried beans today are quite fresh
- because IME, they need no more than an hour's worth of simmering
after they've been soaked.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:44:59 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> Btw, should have said any garage "sale"...

I should be so lucky to find one at a garage sale around here. People
do Craig's list for anything that will generate and $$ and garage
sales are mainly junk.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 12:33 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:42:35 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

>>> I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do
>>> you recommend using them in?

>> We like them in bean dip, and frankly I think their sweetness makes them
>> brilliant in red beans and rice.

> I haven't seen that one, but I have bought Vaquero beans - which look
> like anasazi, only in black & white.

I love the so-called "camo beans", yes they're a fine product too.

>> http://beautifulmemorablefood.files....2/p1070186.jpg
>> They can be fine also for a bean salad.
>>
>> And I love the deeper color and general firmness for refries.
>>
>> We order from:
>>
>> http://www.anasazibeans.com/
>>
>> They say no need to soak, but we do, just not as long.
>>

> That's *really* fresh! I think most dried beans today are quite fresh
> - because IME, they need no more than an hour's worth of simmering
> after they've been soaked.

I've noted that trend as well, it used to be we always soaked overnight
- but no longer.

The anasazis, grown upon a high plateau between Utah and Colorado get
special conditions and soils which I think must play into their
distinctive sweetness.

By comparison I've had pintos that tasted like an old sock ;-(

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/28/2013 12:35 AM, sf wrote:
> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:44:59 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
>
>> Btw, should have said any garage "sale"...

> I should be so lucky to find one at a garage sale around here. People
> do Craig's list for anything that will generate and $$ and garage
> sales are mainly junk.

Fascinating. Here our key seasons are spring and fall, due to the hotter
temps, but we also have many weekend flea markets, which are a
collective garage sale in their own right.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Monday, August 26, 2013 1:48:52 AM UTC-7, Alan Holbrook wrote:

> OK, so granted, there's a lot better 'Q around than Smokey Bones. But I'm
> very fond of two of their sides, their barbecued baked beans and their cole
> slaw. My research assistant, Dr. Google, and I have spent a fair amount of
> time on the web looking for knock-offs for these two dishes, but with no
> luck. So I thought I'd ask here. Anyone have copycat recipes for either
> of these? And barring that, anyone care to recommend a bbq baked bean
> recipe and/or a creamy cole slaw recipe they're fond of?

Alleged 1960s Canadian KFC Cole Slaw recipe:

6 1/2 Tbsp/s Tarragon Vinegar
6 1/2 Tbsp/s Vegetable Oil
3/4 Cup Chopped Onion
2 1/2 Cups Kraft 'Miracle Whip'
1 Cup Sugar
2 Carrots, grated
2 Heads of Cabbage, chopped

Directions

1. Mix together Oil, Onions and Sugar
2. Add Tarragon Vinegar
3. Fold in 'Miracle Whip'
4. Pour over Chopped Onion, Grated Carrots and Chopped Cabbage
5. Mix Well...
6. Refrigerate in Covered, Air-Tight Container
7. Best Made 24 Hours Before Serving
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"casa contenta" > wrote in message
> On 8/28/2013 12:35 AM, sf wrote:
>> On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 22:44:59 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:
>>
>>> Btw, should have said any garage "sale"...

>> I should be so lucky to find one at a garage sale around here. People
>> do Craig's list for anything that will generate and $$ and garage
>> sales are mainly junk.
>>

> Fascinating. Here our key seasons are spring and fall, due to the hotter
> temps, but we also have many weekend flea markets, which are a collective
> garage sale in their own right.

I don't think we have any flea markets here any more. We did when I was a
kid. I thought they were a thing of the past but then I learned that they
had a big one somewhere in CA...Oakland? My neighbors went to it. They
also had a big one near where my inlaws were in PA and when we lived on
Staten Island, they had one. We went a couple of times but there was not
much of interest.

People do seem to have a lot of garage sales around here but we generally
don't go to them. We do go to one if we happen to see the sign up because
the people who run it donate all of the money to owners of dogs who need
operations and can't afford to pay for them.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/29/2013 12:27 AM, Julie Bove wrote:

> "casa contenta" > wrote in message

>>> I should be so lucky to find one at a garage sale around here. People
>>> do Craig's list for anything that will generate and $$ and garage
>>> sales are mainly junk.
>>>

>> Fascinating. Here our key seasons are spring and fall, due to the
>> hotter temps, but we also have many weekend flea markets, which are a
>> collective garage sale in their own right.

> I don't think we have any flea markets here any more. We did when I was
> a kid. I thought they were a thing of the past but then I learned that
> they had a big one somewhere in CA...Oakland? My neighbors went to it.
> They also had a big one near where my inlaws were in PA and when we
> lived on Staten Island, they had one. We went a couple of times but
> there was not much of interest.
>
> People do seem to have a lot of garage sales around here but we
> generally don't go to them. We do go to one if we happen to see the
> sign up because the people who run it donate all of the money to owners
> of dogs who need operations and can't afford to pay for them.

Those are some wonderful folks, I adore pet charities of almost any variety.

Note - no Tarantulas or Scorpions need apply ;-)
Posted to rec.food.cooking

I don't know how vinegar could be a secret ingredient in slaw dressing; I would think it would be required for coleslaw, differences coming with various additions in various amounts of mayo, sugar, etc.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:42:35 PM UTC-5, casa contenta wrote:
> On 8/27/2013 5:21 PM, sf wrote:
>
> > On Tue, 27 Aug 2013 11:07:24 -0600, casa contenta > wrote:

> >> Also, if you can find them, Anasazi beans are superior!

> > I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do

> > you recommend using them in?

> We like them in bean dip, and frankly I think their sweetness makes them
>
> brilliant in red beans and rice.
>

> They can be fine also for a bean salad.
>

> And I love the deeper color and general firmness for refries.
>

> We order from:
>

> http://www.anasazibeans.com/
>

> They say no need to soak, but we do, just not as long.

The shipping cost is outrageous. Maybe next time we go to Santa Fe/ABQ, we can buy a big bag to take home.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 8/30/2013 11:26 AM, Bryan-TGWWW wrote:
> On Tuesday, August 27, 2013 11:42:35 PM UTC-5, casa contenta wrote:

>>> I might have some, but I've never used them in anything. What else do

>>> you recommend using them in?

>> We like them in bean dip, and frankly I think their sweetness makes them
>>
>> brilliant in red beans and rice.
>>

>> They can be fine also for a bean salad.
>>

>> And I love the deeper color and general firmness for refries.
>>

>> We order from:
>>

>> http://www.anasazibeans.com/
>>

>> They say no need to soak, but we do, just not as long.

> The shipping cost is outrageous. Maybe next time we go to Santa Fe/ABQ, we can buy a big bag to take home.
>
> --Bryan

I'd not dispute that, 10 lbs. of anything is still 10 lbs. to ship.

Generally we've visited their shop in the little town of Dove Creek, Co.
when vacationing, and there are shops in the Albuquerque-Santa Fe area
which sell their product, though not consistently year round I've found.

Either of the 2 Whole Foods stores in Santa Fe has had them by sack or
in the bulk bins.

I'm never certain with the bulked bins who the purveyor is so I don't
mind paying shipping to get the real deal.