Posted to rec.food.cooking
Banned

Default More information on why you should examine wheat in your diet.

http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0

you could help clear up some ailments.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:30:05 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
> wrote:

>http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0
>

>you could help clear up some ailments.

So...Rodale runs an article touting what an author (a cardiologist,
with no specialization in nutrition or botany) says in his book about
wheat...said book also happens to be published by...wait for
it....RODALE.

Do a bit of reading about the author, who has several websites that
will sell you all sorts of things. He is a big business online, but
has little to show in med journals..a bit about Vitamins D. He also
owns Milwaukee Heart Scan a facility that specializes in offering CT
scans of the heart. You might want to read up on those, too, as they
are cash cows.

http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45760147.html

Then go read up a bit on the breeding of wheat and see if you can find
anything that backs up what this author says about modern wheat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jan 19, 7:38*am, Boron Elgar > wrote:
> On Wed, 18 Jan 2012 17:30:05 -0800 (PST), ImStillMags
>
> > wrote:
> >http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0

> >you could help clear up some ailments.

> So...Rodale runs an article touting what an author (a cardiologist,
> with no specialization in nutrition or botany) says in his book about
> wheat...said book also happens to be published by...wait for
> it....RODALE.
>
> Do a bit of reading about the author,

> http://www.todaystmj4.com/news/local/45760147.html
>
> Then go read up a bit on the breeding of wheat and see if you can find
> anything that backs up what this author says about modern wheat.

I would have scoffed, too, except we have a friend who was diagnosed
with a gluten sensitivity, and has eliminated all her gi tract
symptoms by eliminating gluten. Why would so many people suddenly not
be able to eat wheat, the staff of life for millenia? The possibility
that wheat is no longer wheat provides a neat explanation for this
sudden, widespread, sensitivity.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"ImStillMags" > wrote in message
> http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0
>

> you could help clear up some ailments.

What ailments? I'm not gluten intolerant. I eat whole wheat bread, you
betcha. Sourdough, too. I'm so sick of hearing about people being gluten
intolerant I could scream.

I do have some food intolerances (nuts and seeds) but wheat isn't one of
them. Bring on the bread!

Jll

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:13:03 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> wrote:

> I would have scoffed, too, except we have a friend who was diagnosed
> with a gluten sensitivity, and has eliminated all her gi tract
> symptoms by eliminating gluten. Why would so many people suddenly not
> be able to eat wheat, the staff of life for millenia? The possibility
> that wheat is no longer wheat provides a neat explanation for this
> sudden, widespread, sensitivity.

I am not a farmer or a scientist, but I think wheat has been bred for
more gluten content over the years so the level is higher than it was
in the past. We also have a lot more exposure to it. Just look at
all the products that have gluten added to them. Nowadays you have to
read the label and know all the words they use for it besides
"gluten".

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
ImStillMags > wrote:

> http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0

How can wheat make you fat and anger your digestive tract at the same
time??? Most of the people I know who are gluten intolerant or have
celiac disease are quite slender, because of the response of the gut
immune system to gliadin. The villi of the small intestine, which
increase the surface area for absorption, become blunted. If you absorb
fewer Calories from your food, you LOSE weight. Granted, some people
with wheat allergies/intolerances do not have digestive issues; however,
the number of people on the gluten-free bandwagon far exceed the actual
number who have a physiological reaction to the protein.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 20 Jan 2012 10:29:31 -0800, Cindy Fuller
> wrote:

> In article
> >,
> ImStillMags > wrote:
>
> > http://www.rodale.com/wheat-free-diet-0

> How can wheat make you fat and anger your digestive tract at the same
> time??? Most of the people I know who are gluten intolerant or have
> celiac disease are quite slender, because of the response of the gut
> immune system to gliadin. The villi of the small intestine, which
> increase the surface area for absorption, become blunted. If you absorb
> fewer Calories from your food, you LOSE weight. Granted, some people
> with wheat allergies/intolerances do not have digestive issues; however,
> the number of people on the gluten-free bandwagon far exceed the actual
> number who have a physiological reaction to the protein.

My DIL is gluten intolerant, but she has joint aches and eczema as a
reaction.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:

> How can wheat make you fat and anger your digestive tract at the same
> time???

One way is the self innoculation effect. People tend to have more of
what they are "allergic" to. It's why so many alcohols test as
intolerant of yeast.

When I eat wheat I binge. The part of my digestive track it angers is
the top part not the bottom part.

> the number of people on the gluten-free bandwagon far exceed the actual
> number who have a physiological reaction to the protein.

To me that's largely because low carbing is far more beneficial than
most people believe but there was a low carb fad a decade ago where
people ate junk products thinking they were eating low carb. It gave
the style a bad reputation. Plus the fact that low fat fanatics bad
mouth any eating that does not match their religious inclinations.

And so a lot of people scapegoat gluten or wheat, end up eating lower
carb,end up feeling better, credit the wrong thing.

Do I think modern wheat is more problematic than ancient wheat? Yes.
Do I think the numbers add up? No. I think the numbers say that very
many who are now going gluten free get their benefit from the lower carb
count.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:32:37 +0000 (UTC), Doug Freyburger
> wrote:

> Plus the fact that low fat fanatics bad
> mouth any eating that does not match their religious inclinations.

I think you're being too defensive. The low fat campers who are
cardiac patients or married to one try to limit saturated fats (animal
fats and coconut oil in particular) to 18-20 grams a day, but low
carbers (here) always try to turn it into an all fats are bad fight
when that's not the case.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Thu, 19 Jan 2012 08:13:03 -0800 (PST), spamtrap1888
> > wrote:
>
>> I would have scoffed, too, except we have a friend who was diagnosed
>> with a gluten sensitivity, and has eliminated all her gi tract
>> symptoms by eliminating gluten. Why would so many people suddenly not
>> be able to eat wheat, the staff of life for millenia? The possibility
>> that wheat is no longer wheat provides a neat explanation for this
>> sudden, widespread, sensitivity.

> I am not a farmer or a scientist, but I think wheat has been bred for
> more gluten content over the years so the level is higher than it was
> in the past. We also have a lot more exposure to it. Just look at
> all the products that have gluten added to them. Nowadays you have to
> read the label and know all the words they use for it besides
> "gluten".

I think this is the most important point. There are a lot of folks with
a mild-to-moderate intolerance for gluten, folks who would have been
fine 50 or 100 years ago but today develop gluten allergy symptoms.
It's possible to argue that the gluten intolerance itself has been
brought on by the over-abundance of gluten in the foods we eat.

My wife is one such person - she always had GI issues but, since
eliminating gluten from her diet, her stomach feels better and she feels
better overall. My wife has also - starting out not being more than a
few lbs. over her ideal weight - lost a few pounds, something she'd been
trying to do, unsuccessfully, for the last few years.

I, OTOH, can eat as much of the stuff as I like and it suits me just
fine.

For my wife, the transition to a gluten-free diet has been an
incovenience but not a major one - rice is still fine for her, and
things like wraps made with corn or rice tortillas work great.

-S-

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 21 Jan 2012 11:33:53 -0500, "Steve Freides" >
wrote:

> For my wife, the transition to a gluten-free diet has been an
> incovenience but not a major one - rice is still fine for her, and
> things like wraps made with corn or rice tortillas work great.

My DIL seems to have made the transition pretty well too. There are
so many good things to eat that are gluten free that they don't feel
deprived... and she cheats occasionally when I invite everyone over
for home made pizza. I try not to make gluten laden desserts, but
they're still decadent... like flourless chocolate cake.

--

Tell congress not to censor the web. Add your voice here.
https://www.google.com/landing/takeaction/
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Doug Freyburger > wrote:

> When I eat wheat I binge. The part of my digestive track it angers is
> the top part not the bottom part.

The top part of your digestive tract (small intestine) is where the vast
majority of nutrient and Calorie absorption occurs.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cindy Fuller wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> When I eat wheat I binge. The part of my digestive track it angers is
>> the top part not the bottom part.
>>

> The top part of your digestive tract (small intestine) is where the vast
> majority of nutrient and Calorie absorption occurs.

Exactly. Plus most symptoms that people describe as indigestion.

The bottom half is the part where the gas is produced. For me less
total carb means less soluble fiber means less gas so that issue is
also reduced.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> Doug Freyburger > wrote:
>
>> Plus the fact that low fat fanatics bad
>> mouth any eating that does not match their religious inclinations.

> I think you're being too defensive.

My experience varies.

> The low fat campers who are
> cardiac patients or married to one try to limit saturated fats (animal
> fats and coconut oil in particular) to 18-20 grams a day

Nonsense. Watch the news sometimes for when the word "healthy" is used.
It is uniformly a synonym for less fat not for less carbs.

> but low
> carbers (here) always try to turn it into an all fats are bad fight
> when that's not the case.

The media constantly reports that less fat is better without regard to
type of fatty acids. Some low fatters know fatty acids by type. More
low carbers know that. Low carbers know that because it's necessary to
use education to overcome the fact that low fat fanatics bad mouth
anything that does not match their opinions.