Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Christmas day

Happy day to all here.
Got my scalloped potatoes in the oven now. Ham will follow soon.

Twas the night before Christmas
And all through the house
Not a creature was stirring
Except for one ferret

This picture was taken last night
http://i44.tinypic.com/25urus2.jpg
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 2011-12-25, Gary > wrote:

> Except for one ferret

I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. They look cute,
and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
fashioned shaving cream brush. (shrug)

nb

--
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 12/25/2011 10:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> Happy day to all here.
> Got my scalloped potatoes in the oven now. Ham will follow soon.
>
> Twas the night before Christmas
> And all through the house
> Not a creature was stirring
> Except for one ferret
>
> This picture was taken last night
> http://i44.tinypic.com/25urus2.jpg

Holy crow, I'd love to have one of those! I saw a woman
at (of all places) a car parts store who had one hanging
out in her pocket. But they look like little troublemakers.

Thanks for the pic, very cute.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:

> On Sun, 25 Dec 2011 10:29:36 -0500, Nancy Young wrote:
>
> > On 12/25/2011 10:14 AM, Gary wrote:
> >
> >> This picture was taken last night
> >> http://i44.tinypic.com/25urus2.jpg

> > Holy crow, I'd love to have one of those!

> Made into a coat. It's cold here right now!
>
> -=sw

hahaha I always tease Jackie...the one sleeping on the left that someday
I'll make her into a nice pair of fur gloves. (She's too small for a
coat)

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:

> Holy crow, I'd love to have one of those! I saw a woman
> at (of all places) a car parts store who had one hanging
> out in her pocket. But they look like little troublemakers.

They are definitely little trouble makers. You have to ferret-proof your
house just like for a baby.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob wrote:

> On 2011-12-25, Gary > wrote:
>
> > Except for one ferret

> I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. They look cute,
> and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
> fashioned shaving cream brush. (shrug)

Like ppl, all ferrets are different. The awake one on the right (Mia) has
course hair and the sleeping one on the left (Jackie) has fur that feels
like fur of a persian cat...very soft.

The attraction though is not about the fur. It's their personalities and
each one has a different personality. You can't just visit someone that has
them, you have to live with them day after day and see what they do
naturally.

They are like little puppy dogs. They don't just want out of their cages to
play, they also want to play with YOU most of the time. They are so cute
and personal but not good for someone with young kids....too fragile.

To me they are the ultimate little companions. Only downside...they don't
live long enough and dealing with a dying one will haunt you forever. :-(
I've lost two so far.

Gary
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 11:02*am, Gary > wrote:
> notbob wrote:
>
> > On 2011-12-25, Gary > wrote:

> > > Except for one ferret *

> > I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. *They look cute,
> > and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
> > fashioned shaving cream brush. *(shrug)

> Like ppl, all ferrets are different. *The awake one on the right (Mia) has
> course hair and the sleeping one on the left (Jackie) has fur that feels
> like fur of a persian cat...very soft.
>
> The attraction though is not about the fur. *It's their personalities and
> each one has a different personality. *You can't just visit someone that has
> them, you have to live with them day after day and see what they do
> naturally.
>
> They are like little puppy dogs. *They don't just want out of their cages to
> play, they also want to play with YOU most of the time. *They are so cute
> and personal but not good for someone with young kids....too fragile.
>
> To me they are the ultimate little companions. *Only downside...they don't
> live long enough and dealing with a dying one will haunt you forever. * :-(
> I've lost two so far.
>
> Gary

And don't forget Gary, they are BITEY!! Ferrets love to play and bite
and frolic around! Mine used to love to come out from under the couch
just nip and bite the ankles of whoever was sitting there. And DO NOT
let them get a hold of the web of skin between your thumb and
forefinger! OW!!!!

:-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

John Kuthe wrote:

> On Dec 25, 11:02 am, Gary > wrote:
> > notbob wrote:

> > > I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. They look cute,
> > > and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
> > > fashioned shaving cream brush. (shrug)

> > Like ppl, all ferrets are different. The awake one on the right (Mia) has
> > course hair and the sleeping one on the left (Jackie) has fur that feels
> > like fur of a persian cat...very soft.
> >
> > The attraction though is not about the fur. It's their personalities and
> > each one has a different personality. You can't just visit someone that has
> > them, you have to live with them day after day and see what they do
> > naturally.
> >
> > They are like little puppy dogs. They don't just want out of their cages to
> > play, they also want to play with YOU most of the time. They are so cute
> > and personal but not good for someone with young kids....too fragile.
> >
> > To me they are the ultimate little companions. Only downside...they don't
> > live long enough and dealing with a dying one will haunt you forever. :-(
> > I've lost two so far.
> >
> > Gary

> And don't forget Gary, they are BITEY!! Ferrets love to play and bite
> and frolic around! Mine used to love to come out from under the couch
> just nip and bite the ankles of whoever was sitting there. And DO NOT
> let them get a hold of the web of skin between your thumb and
> forefinger! OW!!!!
>
> :-)
>
> John Kuthe...

Mine don't bite hard...only gentle play bites like a kitten will do. :-D

I don't know how this "game" started but the only time Jackie will bite my
hand is when it is underneath a blanket. In that situation, I will allow her
to bite me and she does a good job of it too...she will bite hard and shake
her head, like to try to tear off a chunk of my hand. ow ow ow! hahahaha

Once my hand comes out of the blanket, the biting game ends. :-D
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 25/12/2011 11:53 AM, Gary wrote:
> Nancy Young wrote:
>>
>> Holy crow, I'd love to have one of those! I saw a woman
>> at (of all places) a car parts store who had one hanging
>> out in her pocket. But they look like little troublemakers.

> They are definitely little trouble makers. You have to ferret-proof your
> house just like for a baby.

I used to have to baby proof my house for a Labrador Retriever. I had
to get those plastic kiddie locks for the cupboard under the sink and
for our pantry because he used to open up the sink cupboard to get at
the garbage and into the pantry for food. He would rip open bags of
cookies and boxes of crackers.

With my current dog I only have to put up gates to keep him out of rooms
where we don't want him to get on the furniture. We got him when he was
5 years old and he had been allowed on the furniture on his old house.
He quickly learned not to get caught on the furniture. When we come home
is on the floor, but there is always one piece of furniture with a warm
seat cushion.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dave Smith wrote:

> With my current dog I only have to put up gates to keep him out of rooms
> where we don't want him to get on the furniture. We got him when he was
> 5 years old and he had been allowed on the furniture on his old house.
> He quickly learned not to get caught on the furniture. When we come home
> is on the floor, but there is always one piece of furniture with a warm
> seat cushion.

LOL! Busted!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

notbob > wrote:

>I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. They look cute,
>and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
>fashioned shaving cream brush. (shrug)

Then go for a mink, or a sable. Not quite as domestic, but softer.

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 11:13*am, John Kuthe > wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:02*am, Gary > wrote:
>

> > notbob wrote:

> > > I never quite understood the attraction of ferrets. *They look cute,
> > > and all, but when you finally pet one, it's like stroking an old
> > > fashioned shaving cream brush. *(shrug)

> > Like ppl, all ferrets are different. *The awake one on the right (Mia) has
> > course hair and the sleeping one on the left (Jackie) has fur that feels
> > like fur of a persian cat...very soft.

> > The attraction though is not about the fur. *It's their personalities and
> > each one has a different personality. *You can't just visit someone that has
> > them, you have to live with them day after day and see what they do
> > naturally.

> > They are like little puppy dogs. *They don't just want out of their cages to
> > play, they also want to play with YOU most of the time. *They are so cute
> > and personal but not good for someone with young kids....too fragile.

> > To me they are the ultimate little companions. *Only downside...they don't
> > live long enough and dealing with a dying one will haunt you forever. * :-(
> > I've lost two so far.

> > Gary

> And don't forget Gary, they are BITEY!! Ferrets love to play and bite
> and frolic around! Mine used to love to come out from under the couch
> just nip and bite the ankles of whoever was sitting there. And DO NOT
> let them get a hold of the web of skin between your thumb and
> forefinger! OW!!!!
>
> :-)

And they stink. Your place smelled like a zoo when you had those
nasty things.
I used to have a couple of gerbils. My sister gave them to me for
Christmas when I was in 2nd grade. That sister and I never got
along. When I saw them, I thought, "That bitch. She gave me gerbils
because she knows those things bite." What a crappy pet.

> John Kuthe...

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 5:14*am, Gary > wrote:
> Happy day to all here.
> Got my scalloped potatoes in the oven now. *Ham will follow soon.
>
> Twas the night before Christmas
> And all through the house
> Not a creature was stirring
> Except for one ferret *
>
> This picture was taken last nighthttp://i44.tinypic.com/25urus2.jpg

They were popular in the Pacific NW when we lived there. They do have
a powerful scent to them and I kept hearing that they would attack
babies. I have no idea if that's true but I can vouch for their smell.
A small number of people here have pet mongoose. They're cute li'll
fellas. 🐺
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Bryan wrote:

> On Dec 25, 11:13 am, John Kuthe wrote:
> > And don't forget Gary, they are BITEY!! Ferrets love to play and bite
> > and frolic around! Mine used to love to come out from under the couch
> > just nip and bite the ankles of whoever was sitting there. And DO NOT
> > let them get a hold of the web of skin between your thumb and
> > forefinger! OW!!!!
> >
> > :-)

> And they stink. Your place smelled like a zoo when you had those
> nasty things.

heheheh Ferrets stinking is a common misconception. I hear this from ppl
often when I tell them I have 2 ferrets. "Oh, don't they smell?" No more
than your dog or cat if you sniff their heads.

They are related to skunks (and many other creatures) and they do have scent
glands (and a bad rap). Most sold in the US though are from Marshall's Farms
and they are all descented and neutered/sterilized when they are young and
before being shipped off to pet stores. If you see two round tatoos on their
right ears, they are from Marshalls. One tatoo means they were descented
and the 2nd one was for neutering. Or visa-versa.

Anyway...if your ferrets are descented, your house won't smell like a zoo
unless you fail to change the litter often enough. I do this 3-4 times a
day and no odor problem here.

On topic: They like to sample all my food and I will offer them bits. Most
they don't care for but occasionally they will love what I'm eating. At
that point, I'll have to say, "BACK OFF...this is MY dinner, dammit"
hhehehe

Posted to rec.food.cooking

dsi1 wrote:

> They were popular in the Pacific NW when we lived there. They do have
> a powerful scent to them and I kept hearing that they would attack
> babies. I have no idea if that's true but I can vouch for their smell.

Again...they only smell up your house if you don't keep up with them. They
are very high maintenance pets.

As far as attacking babies? LOL! My two girls are the friendliest
creatures you would ever meet. I've also heard that kittens will kill babies
by sleeping on their faces and smothering them. Not true.

As far as babies and ferrets.... I would worry more about the ferrets.
Young children can be (unknowingly) too rough with them. Ferrets are
fragile and not good for a household with young children.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 25, 1:58*pm, Bryan > wrote:
> On Dec 25, 11:13*am, John Kuthe > wrote:

> > > Like ppl, all ferrets are different. *The awake one on the right (Mia) has
> > > course hair and the sleeping one on the left (Jackie) has fur that feels
> > > like fur of a persian cat...very soft.

> > > The attraction though is not about the fur. *It's their personalities and
> > > each one has a different personality. *You can't just visit someone that has
> > > them, you have to live with them day after day and see what they do
> > > naturally.

> > > They are like little puppy dogs. *They don't just want out of their cages to
> > > play, they also want to play with YOU most of the time. *They are so cute
> > > and personal but not good for someone with young kids....too fragile.

> > > To me they are the ultimate little companions. *Only downside...they don't
> > > live long enough and dealing with a dying one will haunt you forever. * :-(
> > > I've lost two so far.

> > > Gary

> > And don't forget Gary, they are BITEY!! Ferrets love to play and bite
> > and frolic around! Mine used to love to come out from under the couch
> > just nip and bite the ankles of whoever was sitting there. And DO NOT
> > let them get a hold of the web of skin between your thumb and
> > forefinger! OW!!!!

> > :-)

> And they stink. *Your place smelled like a zoo when you had those
> nasty things.

"Stink" is a value judgment. Yes ferrets are odoriferous. I happen to
like the way they smell. But you are probably correct about our place
smelling zoo-ish when we had ferrets as pets.

> I used to have a couple of gerbils. *My sister gave them to me for
> Christmas when I was in 2nd grade. *That sister and I never got
> along. *When I saw them, I thought, "That bitch. *She gave me gerbils
> because she knows those things bite." *What a crappy pet.

I "won" 4 gerbils in 4th grade, I think. The teacher was giving them
away with a cage and students that wanted them had to bring a note
from parents saying it was OK. Mine did, and I won them. You are
right, they are bitey little ****s! Wish I would have had a boa
then! ;-)

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Dec 26, 7:34*am, Gary > wrote:

> On topic: *They like to sample all my food and I will offer them bits. *Most
> they don't care for but occasionally they will love what I'm eating. *At
> that point, I'll have to say, "BACK OFF...this is MY dinner, dammit"
> hhehehe

If I'm not mistaken, ferrets are at least distantly related to the
Honey Badger, and thanks to Youtube we all know what a nasty little
creature this is!! (Warning NSFW, language)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4r7wHMg5Yjg

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >, Gary > wrote:

[ferrets]

> As far as attacking babies? LOL! My two girls are the friendliest
> creatures you would ever meet. I've also heard that kittens will kill babies
> by sleeping on their faces and smothering them. Not true.

Babies die from SIDS (Sudden Infant Death Syndrome). It's about 1%.
This basically means that nobody knows why they died. The numbers are
going down, not that there is a cure, or that fewer babies are dying,
but they have gotten better at finding out why they die. Dead babies,
are, of course, unacceptable. Not knowing why they died makes it worse.
Thus, people have historically made up reasons. Smothering sounds
plausible when your baby is dead and there is no cause.

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cheryl wrote:
> Gary wrote:
>
>> Anyway...if your ferrets are descented, your house won't smell like a zoo
>> unless you fail to change the litter often enough. I do this 3-4 times a
>> day and no odor problem here.

> What do they do to them to "descent" them? I can't stand it when animal
> parts are modified for our convenience, other than neutering. Neutering
> is good for the domestic animal as well as the overall population.
> Prevents many illnesses. But descenting?

The scent glands are surgically removed. If you can't stand
modification then you won't approve of it. Many ferret owners consider
it a necessity.

Ferrets make wonderful pets with the caveat that you need to learn the
difference between a fitch and a ferret. Fitches are the wild form;
ferrets are the domesticated form. Fitches bite; ferrets do not bite.
Both types have scent glands so both types stink unless descented.