Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Eurobody going after Nutella

To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
on Nutella.

http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...823495919.html

Steve
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Pope wrote:
> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> on Nutella.
>
> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...823495919.html

Sounds like you're right.

BRUSSELS - The Nutella could eventually outlawed. The warning and 'was
now the group vice president Ferrero, Francesco Paolo Fulci, after
the European Parliament's vote by which Europe would be left to
chance' to decide whether a product can 'be advertised.

''We lost the first battle but not war,''said Fulci, stressing however
that such a decision''threatens to outlaw the Nutella and the vast
majority of confectionery products, bringing to their knees the
entire industry small, medium and large.'' The consumer should
be free to choose, eating all without exceeding and maintaining
a healthy lifestyle. The European Commission is setting recalls
Fulci, a general nutrient profile for the vast majority of foods
that''for every 100 grams of product, there can be no more
'than 10 grams of sugar, four grams of saturated fat and two
milligrams salt. But''there are no sweets - blurts Fulci - less

than 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams of product.'' In this
general profile Brussels has made a number of exceptions for
fruits, fish, honey, gum, cookies, and cough drops, and where
'acceptance of a greater presence of sugar, salt or fat. The stakes
and 'high as if these thresholds should be introduced would not
be' possible - based on the proposal - advertise with statements
on health or nutritional substances, many of the great tradition
of European food products, from Nutella to the traditional black
bread German exceeding the permitted threshold of salt. Our
great concern''- says the group's vice president Ferrero - and
'that today we would say not to promotional messages, but tomorrow
- and already' some consumer organizations pushing for this -
we will write as on cigarettes, ' 'Mind and' dangerous, promotes
obesity,''or maybe we will put taxes very strong as expected in
Romania. This,''would really knees the entire confectionery industry,
small, medium and large.'' The vice president group Ferrero, however,
''will not consider today's vote as a defeat, but simply a setback
in the struggle for the defense of liberty 'of the consumer to eat
as they please.'' The text now passes to the Council of Ministers
and the EU will have to 'come back to Parliament for a second reading
and a new vote. The next time''- concludes Fulci - we will be sure
that none of those who think like we miss the vote.''
--
Mort
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Mort" > ha scritto nel messaggio

> Steve Pope wrote:
>> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
>> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
>> on Nutella.
>>
>> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri...823495919.html
>>

> Sounds like you're right.
>

> BRUSSELS - The Nutella could eventually outlawed. The warning and 'was
> now the group vice president Ferrero, Francesco Paolo Fulci, after
> the European Parliament's vote by which Europe would be left to
> chance' to decide whether a product can 'be advertised.

I'd love to meet the translator so I could offer private English lessons.

I don't think this will ever fly, but Nutella should not be allowed to
advertise itself as health food, either. Which they do.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 12:30*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Mort" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>

> > Steve Pope wrote:
> >> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> >> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> >> on Nutella.

> >>http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza....

> > Sounds like you're right.

> > BRUSSELS - The Nutella could eventually outlawed. The warning and 'was
> > now the group vice president Ferrero, Francesco Paolo Fulci, after
> > the European Parliament's vote by which Europe would be left to
> > chance' to decide whether a product can 'be advertised.

> I'd love to meet the translator so I could offer private English lessons.

It's written better than an average post by Stu, and English is his
first language.

> I don't think this will ever fly, but Nutella should not be allowed to
> advertise itself as health food, either. *Which they do.

Exactly. Banning it is silly. Accurate information is good. Denmark
and Switzerland have pretty much completely banned trans fats. Now
THAT is a good thing.

--Bryan
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 8:42*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> on Nutella.
>
> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...
>
> Steve

I haven't read the article, but there are a whole new bunch of
nutchocobutters on the shelves as well as foodservice. Maybe this is
why.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 8:47*pm, Mort > wrote:
> Steve Pope wrote:
> > To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> > minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> > on Nutella.

> >http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...

> Sounds like you're right.
>
> BRUSSELS - The Nutella could eventually outlawed. The warning and 'was
> now the group vice president Ferrero, Francesco Paolo Fulci, after
> the European Parliament's vote by which Europe would be left to
> chance' to decide whether a product can 'be advertised.
>
> ''We lost the first battle but not war,''said Fulci, stressing however
> that such a decision''threatens to outlaw the Nutella and the vast
> majority of confectionery products, bringing to their knees the
> entire industry small, medium and large.'' The consumer should
> be free to choose, eating all without exceeding and maintaining
> a healthy lifestyle. The European Commission is setting recalls
> Fulci, a general nutrient profile for the vast majority of foods
> that''for every 100 grams of product, there can be no more
> 'than 10 grams of sugar, four grams of saturated fat and two
> milligrams salt. But''there are no sweets - blurts Fulci - less
>
> than 10 grams of sugar per 100 grams of product.'' In this
> general profile Brussels has made a number of exceptions for
> fruits, fish, honey, gum, cookies, and cough drops, and where
> 'acceptance of a greater presence of sugar, salt or fat. The stakes
> and 'high as if these thresholds should be introduced would not
> be' possible - based on the proposal - advertise with statements
> on health or nutritional substances, many of the great tradition
> of European food products, from Nutella to the traditional black
> bread German exceeding the permitted threshold of salt. Our
> great concern''- says the group's vice president Ferrero - and
> 'that today we would say not to promotional messages, but tomorrow
> - and already' some consumer organizations pushing for this -
> we will write as on cigarettes, ' 'Mind and' dangerous, promotes
> obesity,''or maybe we will put taxes very strong as expected in
> Romania. This,''would really knees the entire confectionery industry,
> small, medium and large.'' The vice president group Ferrero, however,
> ''will not consider today's vote as a defeat, but simply a setback
> in the struggle for the defense of liberty 'of the consumer to eat
> as they please.'' The text now passes to the Council of Ministers
> and the EU will have to 'come back to Parliament for a second reading
> and a new vote. The next time''- concludes Fulci - we will be sure
> that none of those who think like we miss the vote.''
> --
> Mort

That's a really weird read. Those Facist Pigs.

-sw

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 16, 8:42*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> on Nutella.
>
> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...

It's mostly sugar and "vegetable" oil. What's not to like?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 9:14*am, spamtrap1888 > wrote:
> On Jun 16, 8:42*pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>
> > To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> > minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> > on Nutella.

> >http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...

> It's mostly sugar and "vegetable" oil. What's not to like?

It's frosting!! Grease and sugar.

John Kuthe...
Posted to rec.food.cooking

spamtrap1888 wrote:
> On Jun 16, 8:42 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
>> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
>> on Nutella.
>>
>> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...
>>

> It's mostly sugar and "vegetable" oil. What's not to like?

They use it as a spread on bread or toast, just like we do with jam.
Jams and jellies are more than half sugar. I think that most of us know
that, just like we know that Nutello is mostly sugar and fat.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
Food Snob® > wrote:

> Exactly. Banning it is silly. Accurate information is good. Denmark
> and Switzerland have pretty much completely banned trans fats. Now
> THAT is a good thing.

Sounds terrible to me. Remind me not to go there. No butter?

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Dan Abel wrote:
> In article
> >,
> Food Snob® > wrote:
>

>> Exactly. Banning it is silly. Accurate information is good. Denmark
>> and Switzerland have pretty much completely banned trans fats. Now
>> THAT is a good thing.

> Sounds terrible to me. Remind me not to go there. No butter?

Having been to Denmark several times, I can assure you that the food is
excellent. They tend to use real butter instead of fake butter type
vegetable products.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 7:15*am, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message >
> from Mort > contains these words:
>
> > Steve Pope wrote:
> > > To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
> > > minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
> > > on Nutella.

> > >http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza....

> > Sounds like you're right.

> * *Sorry, it's NOT right, *it's garbage *No such EU *legislation exists
> and there is no threat to sales of *Nutella.
>
> *The most charitable interpretation of what you quoted, is that
> the *author's *intellect is so retarded *or his English so abysmal, he
> was unable to grasp or convey the true facts.
>
> * *Here they a
>
> *http://www.dw-world.de/dw/article/0,,5691318,00.html
>
> 16. June 2010
>
> *"The European Parliament decided in Strasbourg on Wednesday to
> implement a new EU-wide system of nutrition labelling, but the ruling
> went against the highly-debated color-coded system.
> "We have decided against requiring the color-coded nutritional labeling
> system in Europe as well as against allowing EU member states to require
> it nationally. The system may be implemented, however, on an optional
> basis," read a statement from Strasbourg.
>
> < *HERE'S THE IMPORTANT BIT >
>
> The parliamentarians called for a system that indicates more clearly how
> much fat, carbohydrates (sugar), and sodium each food and drink product
> in European supermarkets contains. They suggested the information be
> given in amount per 100 grams as well as in percent daily value of a
> 2,200 calorie diet". <end quote>.
>
> * * In the UK most *food producers *have been doing so for years, on
> goods supplied to UK supermarkets. *Including Nutella. (I have a jar in
> front of me, fully compliant label). *
>
> * *A while back, Nutella's parent company, Ferrero, ran foul of *the
> UK's *Advertising Standards Agency, and was forced to withdraw a
> misleading *UK *advert *for Nutella (NOT, the product). Nutella is still
> on sale,
> but the advertising was forced to change its wording. The new EU
> legislation, now means that Nutella *will not get away with any false
> claims about nutritional value in other EU countries.
>
> * *http://www.guardian.co.uk/media/2008...a.advertising1
>
> * *So, there is no question of Nutella being banned in Europe. *
>
> * * * * Janet. (Scotland, part of the EU)

The Telegraph is repeating the Nutella POV, that advertising high
sugar foods would be severely limited under the new EU regulation. I
tried to check the draft regulation myself but the europa.eu server is
glacially slow. It pertains to regulation proposal 52008XXXXXX, where
X was just easier for me to type. Anyone who can search for proposed
legislation regarding foodstuffs labelling will be able to verify (or
debunk) the Nutella story.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 11:24*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> Dan Abel wrote:
> > In article
> > >,
> > *Food Snob® > wrote:

> >> Exactly. *Banning it is silly. *Accurate information is good. *Denmark
> >> and Switzerland have pretty much completely banned trans fats. *Now
> >> THAT is a good thing.

> > Sounds terrible to me. *Remind me not to go there. *No butter?

> Having been to Denmark several times, I can assure you that the food is
> excellent. They tend to use real butter instead of fake butter type
> vegetable products.

Dan means that real butter has traces of transfats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article
spamtrap1888 > wrote:

> On Jun 17, 11:24*am, Dave Smith > wrote:
> > Dan Abel wrote:
> > > In article

> > > Sounds terrible to me. *Remind me not to go there. *No butter?

> > Having been to Denmark several times, I can assure you that the food is
> > excellent. They tend to use real butter instead of fake butter type
> > vegetable products.

> Dan means that real butter has traces of transfats.

Yes, I was just giving Bryan a little poke. Here's some information:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat

For Denmark and Switzerland: "effectively bans partially hydrogenated
oils". Butter isn't mentioned specifically in the cite, so I don't know
what the law says but "this restriction is on the ingredients rather
than the final products".

For butter: "Baking shortenings, in general, contain 30% trans fats
compared to their total fats, whereas animal fats from ruminants such as
butter contain up to 4%"

--
Dan Abel
Petaluma, California USA

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 6:39*pm, Janet Baraclough >
wrote:
> The message
> >
> from spamtrap1888 > contains these words:

> > > Having been to Denmark several times, I can assure you that the food is
> > > excellent. They tend to use real butter instead of fake butter type
> > > vegetable products.

> > Dan means that real butter has traces of transfats.

> * Animal transfats. * But not, hydrogenated vegetable transfats, which
> is what are limited in *Denmark and Switzerland .

You see the difficulty of arguing that animal transfats are good while
manufactured transfats are bad. People will be complaining about the
pervasive, malign influence of the Dairy Lobby

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 17, 6:36*pm, Janet Baraclough >

Thanks for the cites.

> * *Allegedly, *processed-food manufacturers have been conducting a
> campaign of misinformation about the EU proposals in an attempt to swing
> the vote , see
>
> http://www.independent.co.uk/life-st...news/laid-bare...

The Deutsche Welle story right under the one you cited earlier was
about traditional German bakers who exceed the "healthy" allowable
percentage of salt in their traditional breads. They did not
understand why the Staff of Life they produced would suddenly, and
somewhat arbitrarily, be labelled unwholesome.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> spamtrap1888 wrote:
>> On Jun 16, 8:42 pm, (Steve Pope) wrote:
>>> To the extent I can understand the following page (which is
>>> minimal), I think it says that European regulators now want to clamp dow
>>> on Nutella.
>>>
>>> http://www.ansa.it/web/notizie/rubri.../16/visualizza...
>>>

>> It's mostly sugar and "vegetable" oil. What's not to like?

> They use it as a spread on bread or toast, just like we do with jam. Jams
> and jellies are more than half sugar. I think that most of us know that,
> just like we know that Nutello is mostly sugar and fat.

It's theadvertising I object to. The TV commercials here promote it as a
healthy breakfast for a child, illustrating that claim with a family eating
pretoasted bread spread with Nutella and a glass of milk. Now the World Cup
is on, the chef of the Italian national team is doing the ads claiming that
he bases their athlete's diet breakfast on Nutella with some fruit on the
side.

I think Nutella is a healthy breakfast only when compared to some of the
commercial pastries sold and advertised here or the cereals which are packed
with or coated in chocolate.

I admit I don't like it, but I love the very expensive handmade version the
frantoio on the hill behind me makes.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 6/17/2010 8:55 PM, Dan Abel wrote:
> In article
> >,
> > wrote:

>>> Having been to Denmark several times, I can assure you that the food is
>>> excellent. They tend to use real butter instead of fake butter type
>>> vegetable products.

>> Dan means that real butter has traces of transfats.

> Yes, I was just giving Bryan a little poke. Here's some information:
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trans_fat
>
> For Denmark and Switzerland: "effectively bans partially hydrogenated
> oils". Butter isn't mentioned specifically in the cite, so I don't know
> what the law says but "this restriction is on the ingredients rather
> than the final products".
>
> For butter: "Baking shortenings, in general, contain 30% trans fats
> compared to their total fats, whereas animal fats from ruminants such as
> butter contain up to 4%"

Both countries have large dairy herds, sounds to me like they're trying
to protect that industry by banning the trans fats.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Jun 18, 12:12*am, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Dave Smith" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>
> > spamtrap1888 wrote:

> >> It's mostly sugar and "vegetable" oil. What's not to like?

> > They use it as a spread on bread or toast, just like we do with jam. Jams
> > and jellies are more than half sugar. I think that most of us know that,
> > just like we know that Nutello is mostly sugar and fat.

> It's theadvertising I object to. *The TV commercials here promote it as a
> healthy breakfast for a child, illustrating that claim with a family eating
> pretoasted bread spread with Nutella and a glass of milk. *Now the World Cup
> is on, the chef of the Italian national team is doing the ads claiming that
> he bases their athlete's diet breakfast on Nutella with some fruit on the
> side.
>
> I think Nutella is a healthy breakfast only when compared to some of the
> commercial pastries sold and advertised here or the cereals which are packed
> with or coated in chocolate.
>
> I admit I don't like it, but I love the very expensive handmade version the
> frantoio on the hill behind me makes.

Maybe if Ferrero cut back the sugar, and used olive oil instead of a
nameless vegetable oil, Nutella would be acceptable.

In the US, the cheapest "vegetable" oil is cottonseed oil. This is
unfortunate, because cotton crops can be treated with pesticides that
cannot be used on food crops, because cotton is not used for food, in
theory. Then people turn around and extract the oil from the seed for
food.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

George Shirley wrote:
> On 6/17/2010 8:55 PM, Dan Abel wrote:

>> For Denmark and Switzerland: "effectively bans partially hydrogenated
>> oils". Butter isn't mentioned specifically in the cite, so I don't know
>> what the law says but "this restriction is on the ingredients rather
>> than the final products".
>>
>> For butter: "Baking shortenings, in general, contain 30% trans fats
>> compared to their total fats, whereas animal fats from ruminants such as
>> butter contain up to 4%"
>>

> Both countries have large dairy herds, sounds to me like they're trying
> to protect that industry by banning the trans fats.

Actually, their production is relatively small compared to some other
European countries. Germany produces about 7 times as much dairy product
as Denmark. It's not just their relative sizes. Holland and Ireland
produce more dairy products than Denmark They are interested in
quality. And while we all hear about the cows in Switzerland, their
actual production is not that high. The country is almost all mountains
and there aren't that many cows.

FWIW, when I was in Estonia a few years ago I learned about some of the
issues regarding quality. They prided themselves on the quality of their
dairy products and were upset that they would have reduce the butter fat
of their milk to meet EU standards.

Nutella ....again Dave Smith[_1_] General Cooking 16 23-05-2012 04:36 AM
Eurobody decrees eggs to be sold by weight only Steve Pope General Cooking 105 04-07-2010 04:59 PM
Nutella jmcquown[_2_] General Cooking 93 30-08-2009 02:34 AM
Nutella again Jordan Talbot General Cooking 0 27-08-2009 03:31 PM
Nutella anywhere??? Aleks Kalezic General Cooking 42 10-02-2004 09:28 PM