Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Cleraning the stove

Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > ha scritto nel messaggio
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.

Mine came on it new, so I think it's kismet. I stick them into the DW
sometimes, tho they are large. Wipe them the rest of the time. Are you
sure it's removable? If so, how'd you let it get away from you?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul

Mine are cast iron, and I put 'em through the dishwasher once in a
while. They come out looking great.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 12:20*pm, "Giusi" > wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > ha scritto nel ...
>
> > Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> > whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? *I've tried
> > everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. *Nada.

> Mine came on it new, so I think it's kismet. *I stick them into the DW
> sometimes, tho they are large. *Wipe them the rest of the time. *Are you
> sure it's removable? *If so, how'd you let it get away from you?

i do the same thing. stick them in the dishwasher every so often to
get the stuff off; works pretty well.

harriet & critters in warm azusa
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Apr 13, 2:08*pm, "Paul M. Cook" > wrote:
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? *I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. *Nada.
>
> Paul

Submerse them in a pan with a heavy concentration of liquid automatic
dishwasher soap - like a 24-hour soak - then use a nylon scrubbie on
them, or maybe even one of those copper scrubbers.

I leave messy oven racks in my self-cleaning oven when I turn the self-
cleaning thingie on - have only needed to do it once, and it did kind
of gray out the shiny silver, but otherwise didn't hurt anything.

N.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Giusi" > wrote in message

> "Paul M. Cook" > ha scritto nel messaggio
>> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
>> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've
>> tried everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.

> Mine came on it new, so I think it's kismet. I stick them into the DW
> sometimes, tho they are large. Wipe them the rest of the time. Are you
> sure it's removable? If so, how'd you let it get away from you?

Well I must confess cleaning my stove is not high on my list of things to
do. These are the removablle thingamajigs. I have four of them. They are
enamel coated iron.

Paul

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've
> tried everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water.
> Nada.

I spray mine with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles and wait. Then I wash
them with hot soapy water.

nancy
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul
>Spray them with oven cleaner, put them in a garbage bag and plop them
>outdoors for an hour or so. Tell the DH that I have a 'job' for him and
>his toy. He gets out the power washer, lines them up on the patio and lets
>fly.

Usually works pretty good.
-g

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul

Depends on how heavy they are.

I put mine in the oven in a self cleaning cycle.

All the crud turns to ash.

Dimitri

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" wrote:

>Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
>whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
>everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.

If really cruddy your stove grates need my magic household ammonia
trick.... I'm sure someone here who feels like typing will 'esplain.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Nancy Young wrote:
> Paul M. Cook wrote:
>> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
>> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've
>> tried everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.

> I spray mine with Dow Scrubbing Bubbles and wait. Then I wash
> them with hot soapy water.
> nancy

"Naval Jelly"
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Virginia Tadrzynski wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
>> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
>> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>>
>> Paul
>> Spray them with oven cleaner, put them in a garbage bag and plop them
>> outdoors for an hour or so. Tell the DH that I have a 'job' for him and
>> his toy. He gets out the power washer, lines them up on the patio and lets
>> fly.

> Usually works pretty good.
> -g

Were talking about the "pans" underneath the 'grates' right? cause my
grates don't get "crud" on them, because of the heat, anything that
might become crude carbonizes and gets easily removed.

Now the pans underneath can get so encrusted with baked on crud as to be
very difficult to completely clean.

Ok, i just went and checked and there appearers to be a bit of 'crud'
encrusted on the corners of my largest grate, and of course don't even
get me started on the "grill" I have always assumed that however
aesthetically unappealing a grill or grate with crud on it may be it is
hygienically sterile because of the heat routinely applied. Given the
nature of the way some pots and pans are seasoned i will continue to
imagine that both my gas grill and my hibachi are seasoned rather than
covered in crud
--
JL
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul

Burner grates, I have a GE Profile Gas stove with burner grates that are
black. The manual states they are porcelian but they never had a sheen, just
flat - black, anyway, "place the grates in a covered container, add 1/4 cup
ammonia and let soak overnight, then wash and rinse well and dry.

--
regards, piedmont (Mike)
The Practical BBQ'r - http://sites.google.com/site/thepracticalbbqr/

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Paul M. Cook wrote:
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul

They are called grates, I believe. If they are enamel on cast iron
you could put them on layers of newspaper outdoors and use something
like "Easy Off" oven cleaner. Follow the instructions carefully because
it's a harsh chemcical. Don't get it on your skin.

gloria p
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've tried
> everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>
> Paul

I have had good luck seasoning cast iron in my Vermont Castings barbecue, as
it attains high temperatures. Last time I seasoned a pot, my Corgi started
barking like crazy. I heard him, and came to see what the fuss was, as I
could tell by his tone, he was concerned. It was the smoke from the
seasoning pot, and quite a bit of it. Not sure, but it might be like a high
temperature oven cleaning, and turn all the gook to ash. Might be worth a
try.

Steve

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On 4/13/2010 8:52 PM, piedmont wrote:
> "Paul M. Cook" > wrote in message
>> Anyone have any tips on cleaning the black crud off my gas stove
>> whachayacallits, you know the things the pots and pans sit on? I've
>> tried everything I can think of including a soak in ammonia water. Nada.
>>
>> Paul
>>

> Burner grates, I have a GE Profile Gas stove with burner grates that are
> black. The manual states they are porcelian but they never had a sheen,
> just flat - black, anyway, "place the grates in a covered container, add
> 1/4 cup ammonia and let soak overnight, then wash and rinse well and dry.

If your whachayacallits are bare metal, get a pair of barbecue tongs,
turn your biggest burner up all the way, and hold your whachayacallits
over it until they glow red. Then let cool and dust off the ash.

Stove to go koko General Cooking 9 25-04-2009 10:58 PM
got a new used stove :) Michael Archon Sequoia Nielsen General Cooking 4 25-01-2007 04:41 AM
New Stove Dave Smith General Cooking 2 25-10-2006 12:47 AM
On the stove biig General Cooking 8 06-03-2006 07:58 PM
Changing from an electric stove to a gas stove sue General Cooking 17 02-08-2004 10:26 PM