Denise~*

Default Soaking chicken.

You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk
derivatives (casein, whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all
recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
loooong time.

Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a healthy choice?
Lorena

Is he allergic to eggs? You can soak in eggs prior to dredging. I've also
tried it with cold water, which works somewhat.

HTH!

Denise~* > wrote:

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?

> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk
> derivatives (casein, whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all
> recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
> loooong time.

Try it and find out with a couple of small chicken pieces. Another
option that's fairly common is to use an egg wash instead of milk.
Just take a cup of cold water and break an egg into it and swish
around until the egg is blended into the water.

Nexis

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk
> derivatives (casein, whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all
> recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
> loooong time.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
>
> How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a

healthy choice?

Rather than buttermilk, in your case, why not try brining it instead? That
will give you the tenderness and juiciness. Make a basic brine (1 gal of
water ought to be plenty, I would add 1/2-3/4 c salt, some lightly crushed
rosemary sprigs, crushed peppercorns, and a halved lemon), and soak the
chicken pieces for 1-2 hours. Do it early in the day because after you
thoroughly rinse them, you'll want to put them on a rack over a baking pan
and let them dry for a couple hours in the fridge.
Use an egg wash before dredging, and you're set.

kimberly

Melba's Jammin'

In article >, Denise~*
> wrote:

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?

Denise, when I coat chicken, I don't soak it in anything first. Last
night I baked some chicken drumsticks that I'd coated in Panko bread
flakes. I rinsed the drums in water then put them in a bag containing
the panko crumbs (I'd seasoned the mixture with a variety of things),
then arranged them in a lightly oiled pan for baking at 375 deg. About
50 minutes later, they were very nice -- not a heavy coating. FWIW.
--
-Barb, <www.jamlady.eboard.com> updated 1/26/04
A good friend will come and bail you out of jail;

NancyJaye

I like to brush boneless chicken breasts with Gulden's Mustard, dredge in
cracker meal or matzo meal, and sauté.

NancyJaye

"Denise~*" > wrote in message

> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk
> derivatives (casein, whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all
> recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
> loooong time.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)
>
> How much Healthy Choice ice cream can I eat before it's no longer a

healthy choice?

jmcquown

Denise~* wrote:
> You know how you soak chicken in milk or buttermilk before dredging?
>
> Does it HAVE to be dairy? Can it be soy milk or rice milk?
>
> The reason I ask is because my husband is VERY allergic to milk & milk
> derivatives (casein, whey, etc...) & I have to convert most all
> recipe's to accommodate him. I haven't make fried chicken in a
> loooong time.
>

> Denise, Brian & Wyatt (May 31, 02)

No need to 'soak' chicken before you bake or fry it. Brining might be a
good idea, depending upon what you're going to do with the chicken.

Now, I do love a good buttermilk dipped and then fried chicken, but I don't
generally do this at home. Most often I bake chicken pieces marinated in a
little Italian salad dressing then rolled in cornflake crumbs (or instant
mashed potato flakes) blended with some Penzey's Pariesienne and a little
garlic powder and pepper. Add about 1/4 c. olive oil to the pan and bake at
425F until nicely crispy.

Jill

Soaking weiners? don h General Cooking 16 22-07-2005 04:31 AM
Soaking Beans M Jones General Cooking 15 04-02-2005 02:34 PM
Soaking beans? Erica General Cooking 37 25-09-2004 10:42 AM
Soaking the Oak K. B. Winemaking 8 03-05-2004 06:59 PM
soaking wood D Barbecue 12 19-04-2004 12:42 AM