Tigsnona

Default Edible and tasty chicken anyone?

I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
marinade or savoury basting liquid.

Let's say I have about a pound of chicken thigh or breast meat and I
want to include it in a stir-fry in a wok. I cut it into strips or
bite-size chunks and generally marinade it in a mixture of ginger,
garlic, soy and dry sherry - with a dash perhaps of oil.

It is left overnight and then removed and drained off (keeping the
marinade to use as a sauce later) and cooked quickly in a very hot
wok. The meat is removed and kept warm and the vegetables and
noodles (or rice) added to the wok for a one-pot (or one-wok? lol)
meal.

Is that about it? Is that all one can do? I would like some tasty
alternatives if anyone has any.

Today I took a large chicken breast and pounded it to make it thinner.
I made a forcemeat stuffing of breadcrumbs, onion, dried mixed herbs
and parsley, salt and pepper and a little orange juice to bind. I
lay this on the flattened out breast and rolled it up and tied it with
string, securing the open ends with wooden toothpicks.

I wrapped a very lean bacon rasher round it and put it in the
refrigerator. I will roast it tomorrow as best I can. Unfortuntely
it has no skin so runs the risk of being very dry. I may use some
butter on top to help keep it moist and mix the butter with some soy
sauce perhaps to get at least some flavour into the thing.

Suggestions anyone?

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.
Reg

Tigsnona wrote:

> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> marinade or savoury basting liquid.

This is a good one for chicken or turkey. I like to use smoked but
that's not a requirement.

Tejas Smoked Turkey Salad with Almond-Anaheim Dressing

Recipe By : Mark Haugen of Tejas, Minneapolis, MN
Serving Size : 16 Preparation Time :0:30
Categories : New American Cuisine Poultry Dishes
Salads And Dressings

1 red bell pepper
1 green bell pepper
1 yellow bell pepper
2 poblano peppers
2 pounds smoked turkey breasts -- diced in 1/2" piece
2 celery stalks -- diced in 1/2" piece
1/2 dash salt -- to taste
1/2 dash black pepper -- freshly ground
1/4 cup blanched almonds -- toasted, slivered
4 ounces honeydew melon -- sliced
4 ounces peach slices
4 ounces apple slices
4 ounces blackberries -- or other berries
4 ounces grapes

STEP ONE:
Roast all peppers and chiles over an open flame until the skin blisters. Then place
them in a covered bowl or plastic bag until the skin begins to loosen. Peel, seed,
and cut into 1/2-inch dice.

Combine diced peppers, turkey, and celery in a large bowl. Season with salt and pepper
to taste.

STEP TWO:
To make dressing, please refer to the recipe "Almond-Anaheim Dressing"

STEP THREE:
Toss salad with dressing and adjust seasonings to your preference. Serve salad sprinkled
with toasted almonds and garnished with fresh fruits.

- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Title: Almond-Anaheim Dressing For Tejas Smoked Turkey Salad
Yield: 16 Servings

Ingredients

1 1/2 whole Anaheim chili peppers
1/4 c almond slivers; blanched &
-toasted
1 tb white wine vinegar
1 tb lime juice
1 c corn oil

Instructions

STEP ONE: Prepare the Chiles--
Roast chiles over an open flame until the skin blisters. Then place them in
a covered bowl or plastic bag until the skin begins to loosen. Peel and
seed.

STEP TWO:
Place chiles, almonds, vinegar, and lime juice in the bowl of a food
processor fitted with a metal blade. Puree. Then, with the motor running,
slowly add oil until the mixture has thickened

Katra

Tigsnona wrote:

> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> marinade or savoury basting liquid.
>
> Let's say I have about a pound of chicken thigh or breast meat and I
> want to include it in a stir-fry in a wok. I cut it into strips or
> bite-size chunks and generally marinade it in a mixture of ginger,
> garlic, soy and dry sherry - with a dash perhaps of oil.
>
> It is left overnight and then removed and drained off (keeping the
> marinade to use as a sauce later) and cooked quickly in a very hot
> wok. The meat is removed and kept warm and the vegetables and
> noodles (or rice) added to the wok for a one-pot (or one-wok? lol)
> meal.
>
> Is that about it? Is that all one can do? I would like some tasty
> alternatives if anyone has any.
>
> Today I took a large chicken breast and pounded it to make it thinner.
> I made a forcemeat stuffing of breadcrumbs, onion, dried mixed herbs
> and parsley, salt and pepper and a little orange juice to bind. I
> lay this on the flattened out breast and rolled it up and tied it with
> string, securing the open ends with wooden toothpicks.
>
> I wrapped a very lean bacon rasher round it and put it in the
> refrigerator. I will roast it tomorrow as best I can. Unfortuntely
> it has no skin so runs the risk of being very dry. I may use some
> butter on top to help keep it moist and mix the butter with some soy
> sauce perhaps to get at least some flavour into the thing.
>
> Suggestions anyone?
>
> Tigsnona

Yeah.

Quit skinning your chicken... ;-)

K.

--
>^,,^< Cats-haven Hobby Farm >^,,^< >^,,^<

"There are millions of intelligent species in the universe, and they are
all owned by cats" -- Asimov

Custom handcrafts, Sterling silver beaded jewelry
http://cgi3.ebay.com/aw-cgi/eBayISAP...s&userid=katra
jmcquown

Tigsnona wrote:
> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> marinade or savoury basting liquid.

(snip)
> Suggestions anyone?
>
> Tigsnona

Savory Chicken Thighs

3 lbs. chicken thighs
1/2 c. chopped onion
2 cloves garlic, crushed
2 thin slices ginger root
1/2 c. teriyaki sauce
1/2 c. water
2 Tbs. dry sherry
2 Tbs. brown sugar

Brown the chicken in batches in a deep skillet in oil quickly until golden.
NOTE: I broil them; less fat, and simply use a little oil in a skillet to
cook the onion, garlic and ginger until soft, about 2 minutes. Blend
together teryiki, water, sherry and sugar. Add the chicken to the pan.
Bring to a boil and then reduce the heat. Simmer on low, covered, about 40
minutes. Remove the chicken to a platter. If desired, thicken the sauce
with a cornstarch slurry. Pour the sauce over the chicken.

Jill

Ol' Hippie

Try this;
My Grandmother came up with this and it's pretty good. Not like real Abalone
but not many people have tasted the real deal.

Phony-Abalone

Boneless chicken breast pounded to about 1/4-3/8"
Marinade in Clam Juice overnight
pat dry and coat with bread crumbs
after dredging in egg.
Fry in hot pan.
Lemon wedges on the side to squeeze on the Phony Abalone.

--
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in
one pretty well preserved piece, but to skid across the line broadside,

Nancy Dooley

Tigsnona > wrote in message >. ..
> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> marinade or savoury basting liquid.
>
> It is left overnight and then removed and drained off (keeping the
> marinade to use as a sauce later) and cooked quickly in a very hot

You can't use the marinade from raw chicken unless you thoroughly simmer it first.
(Actually, marinade from raw meat doesn't appeal to me at all as a sauce base.)

N.
Dimitri

"Tigsnona" > wrote in message
> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> marinade or savoury basting liquid.

<snip>

> Suggestions anyone?
>
> Tigsnona

Make an adobo (sauce) and keep it handy.

1 c. water
1 c. soy sauce
1 c. vinegar
2 cloves garlic

Add all ingredients together in pot. Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer
for 1/2 to 1 hour.

Dimitri

Tigsnona

On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:45:30 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Tigsnona" > wrote in message
.. .
>> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
>> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
>> marinade or savoury basting liquid.

><snip>
>
>> Suggestions anyone?
>>
>> Tigsnona

>Make an adobo (sauce) and keep it handy.
>
>1 c. water
>1 c. soy sauce
>1 c. vinegar
>2 cloves garlic
>
> Add all ingredients together in pot. Bring to a boil, turn down and simmer
>for 1/2 to 1 hour.
>

>Dimitri

Thank you for the recipe. With no thickening agent I guess it can be
used to simmer chicken? Or is this a marinade?

Tigsnona

If you can keep your head when those around you
are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
the situation.

Kajikit

Tigsnona saw Sally selling seashells by the seashore and told us all
about it on Mon, 24 Nov 2003 23:03:40 +1300:

>I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
>breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
>marinade or savoury basting liquid.
>
>Let's say I have about a pound of chicken thigh or breast meat and I
>want to include it in a stir-fry in a wok. I cut it into strips or
>bite-size chunks and generally marinade it in a mixture of ginger,
>garlic, soy and dry sherry - with a dash perhaps of oil.

>Is that about it? Is that all one can do? I would like some tasty
>alternatives if anyone has any.

Look up one post - I made orange chicken the other day and it was
DELICIOUS! If you still want to do stirfries you can vary the
flavouring - it doesn't have to include ginger all the time. Hoi-sin
sauce is yummy, and so is oyster sauce. Sometimes I do sesame chicken
and leave the heavy flavourings out altogether, topping the plates
with a generous handful of fresh-toasted sesame seeds.
(huggles)

~Karen AKA Kajikit

Nobody outstubborns a cat...

Visit my webpage: http://www.kajikitscorner.com
Dimitri

"Tigsnona" > wrote in message
> On Mon, 24 Nov 2003 21:45:30 GMT, "Dimitri" >
> wrote:
>

> >"Tigsnona" > wrote in message
> .. .
> >> I am looking for something that will smarten up chicken thigh or
> >> breast meat. This meat is totally bland and uninteresting and requires
> >> marinade or savoury basting liquid.

> ><snip>
> >
> >> Suggestions anyone?
> >>
> >> Tigsnona

> >Make an adobo (sauce) and keep it handy.
> >
> >1 c. water
> >1 c. soy sauce
> >1 c. vinegar
> >2 cloves garlic
> >
> > Add all ingredients together in pot. Bring to a boil, turn down and

simmer
> >for 1/2 to 1 hour.
> >

> >Dimitri
> >

> Thank you for the recipe. With no thickening agent I guess it can be
> used to simmer chicken? Or is this a marinade?
>
> Tigsnona
>
> If you can keep your head when those around you
> are losing theirs, you probably haven't understood
> the situation.

Some of everything - Adobe is a Philippine national dish and it's used as a
brazing sauce. However the boiling of the soy and vinegar with the garlic
produces IMHO one of the best flavors in the world. If you do a google
search you'll find about a gazillion hits and recipes the 3 common elements
are vinegar soy and garlic. It goes on from there.

Dimitri

Rona Yuthasastrakosol

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> Some of everything - Adobe

Adobo, but I know you knew that because you spelled it correctly before. I
just didn't want people googling adobe getting info on New Mexico or
something. It's most commonly made with pork or chicken, though.

>is a Philippine national dish and it's used as a
> brazing sauce. However the boiling of the soy and vinegar with the garlic
> produces IMHO one of the best flavors in the world. If you do a google
> search you'll find about a gazillion hits and recipes the 3 common

elements
> are vinegar soy and garlic. It goes on from there.
>
> Dimitri

And peppercorns and bay leaves. Well, maybe not bay leaves but always
peppercorns. A little more garlic than in your recipe is usually used.
Adobo is usually very garlic-y.

One of my mother's favourite picnic-type sandwiches was an adobo sandwich.
The bread soaks up some of the sauce (but not so much that it gets really
soggy).

rona

Sylvia

I really like the commercial marinades bring sold now -- some more than
others, of course. <g> My favorite is probably Lawry's tequila lime
marinade, and what it does to chicken meat is unbelievable. But the
Mediterranean is quite good also.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Blair P. Houghton

Tigsnona > wrote:
>Is that about it? Is that all one can do? I would like some tasty
>alternatives if anyone has any.

Get yourself some Sun Brand Curry Powder (more of a crushed
mix than a powder; comes in an ornate dark-brass colored can).

Slice your chicken meat (1 lb.) into strips about 1/2 inch by 3
or 4 inches, across the grain (for the sake of tenderness).

Cut up one large onion into 1/2-inch wide half-rings.

Bloom 2.5 tbs of the curry powder in a few tbs of water.

Heat 3 tbs oil (I use EVOO; you could use ghee (clarified
butter) or just butter) in a large sautee pan until hot (I
guess your wok might be even better); add the bloomed curry
powder and stir while sizzling for half a minute or so.

Add the chicken and sautee several minutes.

Add the onions and sautee until they just get translucent
(I reserve a few and put them in near the end so they're
still almost crunchy and retain some spice; the translucent
ones will simply be sweet).

Serve over lots of white rice.

--Blair
"Can't wait for Thanksgiving to be over
so I can get back to cooking what I'm
craving."

Edible Spiders *~* Recipe Trader *~* Recipes (moderated) 0 30-09-2005 12:25 PM
Edible room??? Katra General Cooking 2 29-11-2004 07:14 AM
Tasty Chicken Tetrizini? PopSicle General Cooking 12 05-03-2004 01:05 AM
Edible Leaves Frogleg Historic 2 14-11-2003 11:10 PM