Sylvia

Default Loxmaker as Christmas gift?

If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
Zabar’s New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com

Peter Aitken

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
> If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
> own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
> cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
> aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
> known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
> City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
> Zabar's New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
> I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.
>
> --

Jeez what a crock! Real lox *is* made by smoking. You can do some very
delicious things by curing salmon, such as gravlax, but you certainly do not
need this gadget to do it. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting
this sort of blatant uninformed commercial crap on the newsgroup.

--
Peter Aitken

Steve Wertz

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 02:15:24 GMT, Sylvia
> wrote:

>If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
>own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
>cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
>aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
>known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
>City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
>Zabars New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
>I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.

Glorified tupperware container with ziplock bags and a peice of rock.
No pictures of the device, I notice, but my crystal ball says it's a
glorified tupperware container with plastic bags and a peice of rock.

Hint: *Glass* baking dish, plastic wrap, and a bag 'o beans as a
weight will do the same thing.

-sw
Jack Schidt®

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
. com...
> "Sylvia" > wrote in message
> > If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
> > own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
> > cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
> > aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
> > known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
> > City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
> > Zabar's New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
> > I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.
> >
> > --

> Jeez what a crock! Real lox *is* made by smoking. You can do some very
> delicious things by curing salmon, such as gravlax, but you certainly do

not
> need this gadget to do it. You should be ashamed of yourself for posting
> this sort of blatant uninformed commercial crap on the newsgroup.
>
> --

I think I found the key to smoked/not smoked lox.

My experience is from German delicatessens where it is not smoked, just
cured. Jewish delis feature it smoked. Then again, I asked at Katz's and
was told it's not smoked. aaaarghhhhh!!

Anyway, 30 bucks for some container and another 20 bucks for 10 bags is a
gyp.

Jack Homemade

Dimitri

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
> If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
> own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
> cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
> aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
> known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
> City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
> Zabar’s New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
> I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.
>
> --
> Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995

Not lox. but

gravlax Without the dill.

[GRAHV-lahks]
This Swedish specialty of raw salmon cured in a salt-sugar-dill mixture is
prized around the world. It's sliced paper-thin and served on dark bread as
an appetizer, on an open-faced sandwich or as part of a smorgasbord, often
accompanied by a dill-mustard sauce. Gravlax can usually be found in gourmet
markets or specialty fish markets. It can be stored, tightly wrapped, in the
refrigerator for up to a week.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

There is a difference not that gravlax is bad.

Real lox

smoked salmon
Fresh salmon that has undergone a smoking process, usually by one of two
methods — hot-smoking or cold-smoking. Hot-smoking is a process by which the
fish is smoked from 6 to 12 hours at temperatures ranging from 120° to
180°F. The time and temperature depend on the size of the fish, how close it
is to the source of smoke and the degree of flavor desired. In cold-smoking,
a temperature of 70° to 90°F is maintained and the fish might remain in the
smokehouse for anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks. There are many types of
smoked salmon. Indian-cure salmon is brined fish that has been cold-smoked
for up to 2 weeks, which results in a form of salmon JERKY. Kippered
salmon — U.S. style — is a chunk, steak or fillet that has been soaked in a
mild brine and hot-smoked. It's usually made from chinook salmon that has
been dyed red. European kippered salmon differs in that it's a whole salmon
that has been split before being brined and cold-smoked. Lox is brine-cured
cold-smoked salmon, much of which is slightly saltier than other smoked
salmon. Some lox, however, has had sugar added to the brine, which produces
a less salty product. Lox is a favorite in American-Jewish cuisine,
particularly when served with BAGELS and cream cheese. Nova or Nova Scotia
salmon is an idiom used in the eastern United States that broadly describes
cold-smoked salmon. Scotch-smoked, Danish-smoked and Irish-smoked salmon are
all geographical references to cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (whereas the
Pacific species — usually coho or chinook — treated in this manner is
generally simply labeled smoked salmon ). Squaw candy consists of thin
strips of salmon that has been cured in a salt-sugar brine before being
hot-smoked. Other fish such as trout and haddock can also be smoked. See
also SALMON.
© Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.

Dimitri

Jason Tinling

"Dimitri" > wrote in message
om...

> Not lox. but
>
> gravlax Without the dill.

<snip FLC defintiions of lox and gravlax>

> Dimitri

So, should the new page be renamed www.gravlaxbox.com ? A little too Seuss
for me...course, so was the original<G>

Jason

Dimitri

"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message

> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
> om...
> >

> > Not lox. but
> >
> > gravlax Without the dill.
> >

> <snip FLC defintiions of lox and gravlax>
> >

> > Dimitri

> So, should the new page be renamed www.gravlaxbox.com ? A little too

Seuss
> for me...course, so was the original<G>
>
> Jason

Gravlax is a breeze to make the only dificult part is finding the proper
weight I use 2 NY Times Cookbooks in a baggie. Taught to me by Mary F.

Dimitri.

Boron Elgar

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 21:40:53 GMT, "Dimitri" >
wrote:

>"Jason Tinling" > wrote in message
>>
>> "Dimitri" > wrote in message
>> om...
>> >

>> > Not lox. but
>> >
>> > gravlax Without the dill.
>> >

>> <snip FLC defintiions of lox and gravlax>
>> >

>> > Dimitri

>> So, should the new page be renamed www.gravlaxbox.com ? A little too

>Seuss
>> for me...course, so was the original<G>
>>
>> Jason

>Gravlax is a breeze to make the only dificult part is finding the proper
>weight I use 2 NY Times Cookbooks in a baggie. Taught to me by Mary F.
>
>Dimitri.

I much prefer a couple of cans of plum tomatoes on top of an old
cutting board that fits perfectly into my Corningware lasagna pan.

I don't think I'd have the heart to put Craig Claiborne in a Baggie.

Boron

sf

I have yet to eat smoked salmon (however lightly smoked)
that was called LOX. Is this an East coast thing?

```````````````````

On Thu, 13 Nov 2003 15:50:42 GMT, "Dimitri"
> wrote:

> Not lox. but
>
> gravlax Without the dill.
>
> [GRAHV-lahks]
> This Swedish specialty of raw salmon cured in a salt-sugar-dill mixture is
> prized around the world. It's sliced paper-thin and served on dark bread as
> an appetizer, on an open-faced sandwich or as part of a smorgasbord, often
> accompanied by a dill-mustard sauce. Gravlax can usually be found in gourmet
> markets or specialty fish markets. It can be stored, tightly wrapped, in the
> refrigerator for up to a week.
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>
> There is a difference not that gravlax is bad.
>
> Real lox
>
> smoked salmon
> Fresh salmon that has undergone a smoking process, usually by one of two
> methods €” hot-smoking or cold-smoking. Hot-smoking is a process by which the
> fish is smoked from 6 to 12 hours at temperatures ranging from 120° to
> 180°F. The time and temperature depend on the size of the fish, how close it
> is to the source of smoke and the degree of flavor desired. In cold-smoking,
> a temperature of 70° to 90°F is maintained and the fish might remain in the
> smokehouse for anywhere from 1 day to 3 weeks. There are many types of
> smoked salmon. Indian-cure salmon is brined fish that has been cold-smoked
> for up to 2 weeks, which results in a form of salmon JERKY. Kippered
> salmon €” U.S. style €” is a chunk, steak or fillet that has been soaked in a
> mild brine and hot-smoked. It's usually made from chinook salmon that has
> been dyed red. European kippered salmon differs in that it's a whole salmon
> that has been split before being brined and cold-smoked. Lox is brine-cured
> cold-smoked salmon, much of which is slightly saltier than other smoked
> salmon. Some lox, however, has had sugar added to the brine, which produces
> a less salty product. Lox is a favorite in American-Jewish cuisine,
> particularly when served with BAGELS and cream cheese. Nova or Nova Scotia
> salmon is an idiom used in the eastern United States that broadly describes
> cold-smoked salmon. Scotch-smoked, Danish-smoked and Irish-smoked salmon are
> all geographical references to cold-smoked Atlantic salmon (whereas the
> Pacific species €” usually coho or chinook €” treated in this manner is
> generally simply labeled smoked salmon ). Squaw candy consists of thin
> strips of salmon that has been cured in a salt-sugar brine before being
> hot-smoked. Other fish such as trout and haddock can also be smoked. See
> also SALMON.
> © Copyright Barron's Educational Services, Inc. 1995 based on THE FOOD
> LOVER'S COMPANION, 2nd edition, by Sharon Tyler Herbst.
>

> Dimitri

Sylvia

> Glorified tupperware container with ziplock bags and a peice of rock.

To be honest, I haven't seen it. But knowing Eric is a biochemist, I
figured he'd come up with a neat way of preparing it.

And to everyone who showed their ignorance by insisting lox was ALWAYS
smoked, go check out any 3 Jewish delis in NYC. At *least* one of them
(probably two) will have unsmoked lox.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Sylvia

> I have yet to eat smoked salmon (however lightly smoked) that was
called LOX. Is this an East coast thing?

It's more a Jewish thing. Since there are so many Jewish delis in NYC,
of course there is lots of lox there.

--
Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
http://www.SteigerFamily.com
Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
Remove "removethis" from address to reply

Peter Aitken

"sf" > wrote in message

> I have yet to eat smoked salmon (however lightly smoked)
> that was called LOX. Is this an East coast thing?

Lox is cold-smoked salmon - it is exposed to smoke at low temperature so it
gets the flavor without being cooked. In my limited experience you are more
likely to get hot smoked salmon on the west coast - salmon that is smoked
and cooked.

Peter G. Aitken

Peter Aitken

"Sylvia" > wrote in message
> > Glorified tupperware container with ziplock bags and a peice of rock.

> To be honest, I haven't seen it. But knowing Eric is a biochemist, I
> figured he'd come up with a neat way of preparing it.
>
> And to everyone who showed their ignorance by insisting lox was ALWAYS
> smoked, go check out any 3 Jewish delis in NYC. At *least* one of them
> (probably two) will have unsmoked lox.

You are right - lox is not always smoked. But your plug for this gadget
claimed that "real" lox is not smoked, and equally false claim.

--
Peter Aitken

Dimitri

"Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
news
<snip>
> >Gravlax is a breeze to make the only dificult part is finding the proper
> >weight I use 2 NY Times Cookbooks in a baggie. Taught to me by Mary F.
> >
> >Dimitri.
> >

> I much prefer a couple of cans of plum tomatoes on top of an old
> cutting board that fits perfectly into my Corningware lasagna pan.
>
> I don't think I'd have the heart to put Craig Claiborne in a Baggie.
>
> Boron

I've never had him complain.....

;-)

Dimitri

Barry Grau

"Dimitri" > wrote in message .com>...
> "Boron Elgar" > wrote in message
> news >
> <snip>
> > >Gravlax is a breeze to make the only dificult part is finding the proper
> > >weight I use 2 NY Times Cookbooks in a baggie. Taught to me by Mary F.
> > >
> > >Dimitri.
> > >

> > I much prefer a couple of cans of plum tomatoes on top of an old
> > cutting board that fits perfectly into my Corningware lasagna pan.
> >
> > I don't think I'd have the heart to put Craig Claiborne in a Baggie.
> >
> > Boron

> I've never had him complain.....
>
> ;-)

I suspect he didn't complain when put in a box, either.

> Dimitri

-bwg

PENMART01

<SylviaRNutz> writes:

>And to everyone who showed their ignorance by insisting lox was ALWAYS
>smoked, go check out any 3 Jewish delis in NYC.

Check 300 Jewish Delis, NONE sell lox... Jewish Delis sell corned beef,
pastrami, tongue n k'nish, NO lox. Jewish Appetizing stores sell lox.

Lox is ALWAYS smoked, cold smoked, lightly, with alder wood.

Sylvia, you're a winner, rfc's dumbest ****.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

PENMART01

<SylviaRNuts> writes:

Sumwun assed:
>>I have yet to eat smoked salmon (however lightly smoked) that
>> was called LOX. Is this an East coast thing?

>It's more a Jewish thing. Since there are so many Jewish delis in NYC,
>of course there is lots of lox there.

Yoose gots to be raised up at some fercocktah Texarkana trailor park... Jewish
delis do not sell lox... Jewish appetizing stores sell lox.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Jay

"Peter Aitken" > wrote in message
.. .
> "sf" > wrote in message

In my limited experience you are more
> likely to get hot smoked salmon on the west coast - salmon that is smoked
> and cooked.

When I was little we used to eat it (smoked salmon) like candy. Fabulous
stuff. I miss having people around who made it a lot. (And for the record,
when I was eating piles of the stuff, it was in Northern B.C. up on the
Queen Charlotte Islands, though it's widely available here in the Pacific
Northwest. )

-Jay

Jack Schidt®

"PENMART01" > wrote in message
> <SylviaRNutz> writes:
> >
> >And to everyone who showed their ignorance by insisting lox was ALWAYS
> >smoked, go check out any 3 Jewish delis in NYC.

> Check 300 Jewish Delis, NONE sell lox... Jewish Delis sell corned beef,
> pastrami, tongue n k'nish, NO lox. Jewish Appetizing stores sell lox.
>
> Lox is ALWAYS smoked, cold smoked, lightly, with alder wood.

Next you're gonna tell me that all salami is made with beef and you can't
make a pastrami and swiss sandwich. Feh.

Jack Appetizing

alzelt

Peter Aitken wrote:

> "sf" > wrote in message
>
>>I have yet to eat smoked salmon (however lightly smoked)
>>that was called LOX. Is this an East coast thing?
>>

> Lox is cold-smoked salmon - it is exposed to smoke at low temperature so it
> gets the flavor without being cooked. In my limited experience you are more
> likely to get hot smoked salmon on the west coast - salmon that is smoked
> and cooked.
>
> Peter G. Aitken

Lox is becoming a big production thing in the Pacific Northwest now.
--
Alan

"If you reject the food, ignore the customs, fear the religion, and
avoid the people, you might better stay home."
--James Michener

PENMART01

In article > , "Jack Schidt®"
> writes:

>"PENMART01" > wrote in message
>> <SylviaRNutz> writes:
>> >
>> >And to everyone who showed their ignorance by insisting lox was ALWAYS
>> >smoked, go check out any 3 Jewish delis in NYC.

>> Check 300 Jewish Delis, NONE sell lox... Jewish Delis sell corned beef,
>> pastrami, tongue n k'nish, NO lox. Jewish Appetizing stores sell lox.
>>
>> Lox is ALWAYS smoked, cold smoked, lightly, with alder wood.

>Next you're gonna tell me that all salami is made with beef and you can't
>make a pastrami and swiss sandwich. Feh.
>
>Jack Appetizing

Killjoy-va

http://halvah.biz

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Victor Sack

Peter Aitken > wrote:

> Lox is cold-smoked salmon - it is exposed to smoke at low temperature so it
> gets the flavor without being cooked.

The subject is a bit controversial to state unequivocally that lox is
*always* cold smoked. It seems that often enough it isn't. This has
been discussed on rfc often enough. The FAQ entry, "LOX - Brine-cured
salmon, which may or may not be also cold-smoked" is not accidental.
Here are some citations I posted before. There are many more that say
the same thing.

Victor

<http://www.westword.com/issues/2000-08-10/checkplease.html>

Back in the '20s, salmon shipped to the mainland from Alaska was heavily
salted in order to preserve it, since there was no such thing as
refrigerated air shipping. To remove the brine, the fish then had to be
soaked in cold water. The result was called lox, either after the German
word for salmon, which is lachs, or the Scandinavian word for it, which
is lax.
Nowadays, lox is supposed to be salmon that has been brine-cured and
then cold-smoked - a process that calls for exposing the salted,
water-soaked salmon to smoke at temperatures between 70 and 90 degrees
for a long time (anywhere from one day to three weeks). Since the fish
has already been brine-cured, you don't need heat; the smoking at this
point is mostly for flavor. In fact, the smoke in a cold smoker is
pumped through a filter that keeps heat from being a factor.
<http://www.winespectator.com/Wine/Ar...0,1275,2015,00.
html>

Barrels of salted Pacific salmon were shipped from the West Coast. After
90 days, the salmon was soaked in water to remove much of the salt,
creating what we call lox, from the Scandinavian lax and the German
Lachs, meaning "salmon."
A more common method of curing the fish is to place it in a brine of
water, salt and brown sugar. The fish is dried, and then smoked at 76F
for about 12 hours, using apple wood and cherry wood shavings. What you
get is Nova, named for the wild Nova Scotia Atlantic salmon--a species
that was fished out years ago. Nova has a less salty, more refined taste
than lox has.
<http://www.ssfish.com/types.htm>

Springfield Smoked Fish Co.

Different Types of Smoked Fish

Smoked Salmon - Lox - Nova

Traditionally, Lox refers to salmon, which has been cured in a very
salty brine. Sometimes called belly lox, it is not smoked at all. Nova
or Nova Lox on the other hand gets a milder cure and light smoking. Part
of its milder taste comes from the addition of brown sugar to the brine.
Only the finest King Salmon from the Pacific Northwest or farmed salmon
from the Atlantic are used. After arrival, the fish are hand split,
filleted and trimmed. These fish are cured for five days and than cold
smoked for 10-12 hours. The resulting flavor is less salty and subtler
than Lox. However, these days the term Lox has become generic, and most
people will ask for Lox when they want is Nova.
<http://www.aboutri.com/Hospitality/R...pecialinterest
/AboutQualityFoodsSmokedSalmon.htm>

There are so many varieties of cold-smoked salmon that you might find
yourself flipping a coin to decide which one to buy. Don't look puzzled
when you ask for Lox and the salesperson asks, "What kind would you
like?" The word Lox, which is derived from the Scandinavian word for
salmon, has become a generic term for all smoked salmon. There is Belly
Lox, the most popular selling preserved salmon that's conserved by
salting but not smoked, and the true cold-smoked varieties mentioned
below.
<http://www.jewishsf.com/bk970107/cook.htm>

Most people use smoked salmon and lox interchangeably, but there is a
difference. Lox is cured in brine, then soaked to remove salt. Sometimes
it is lightly smoked, but not always.

The source is Betty Newman of _Jewish Bulletin of Northern California_.
<http://www.pbs.org/mpt/jewishcooking/history/season1/111h.html>.

"Arriving at the Carnegie Delicatessen in New York one day, two men sat
down at a Formica table. "I'm going to order lox," said one of the
gentlemen, a non-Jewish businessman from the midwest. "What is lox?"
asked his companion. "It's a delicate Jewish fish, you'll like it, it's
not dry," said the first with conviction. "Try it with bagels and cream
cheese."
Had the surly delicatessen waiter overheard this conversation, he
may have told the gentleman that "lox" comes from the German "lachs" for
salmon, and it is not particularly Jewish. He may also have said that
most people are eating the more expensive Nova, short for Nova Scotia
salmon, and imported smoked salmon, often cured with salt and brown
sugar, then smoked.
Before refrigeration was efficient and widespread, the salmon
that went into the Jewish delicatessens of the eastern United States
came from Alaska packed in salt-brine barrels. It was then soaked in
water to remove a good bit of the salt before it was sliced and sold as
lox. "In the beginning there was lox," said Mark Federman, owner of Russ
& Daughters.
Since World War II the salmon that provides lox for the East
Coast market usually arrives frozen and is treated with salt for three
days to months, then desalted, lightly smoked, sliced, and sold. Today
when people say lox, chances are they mean Nova."

The source is _Jewish Cooking in America with Joan Nathan_, a TV series.

<http://nytimes.com/2002/09/22/nyregion/22FEAT.html>

"People use lox as a general term - bagel and lox - but what is
traditional and genuine lox is not smoked salmon at all," said Mr.
Federman's daughter Niki, who also works at the shop. "It is a salmon
cured in salt brine. No refrigeration needed. When people come into the
store, they ask for lox, and we say, 'Are you sure?' "

Terry Huggins, charcuterie manager at Dean & DeLuca, has not sold a
piece of lox since 1990. Even at Barney Greengrass, that emporium of
nostalgia, lox doesn't sell well, and Saul Zabar himself prefers the
more modern, Nova-style smoked fish. Today, most of the Sunday-morning
salmon sold in New York - 2,500 pounds each week at Zabar's alone - is
not lox, but lightly salted and smoked salmon.

<http://www.wholefoods.com/recipes/smokedseafood.html>

Lox
A Yiddish translation of the German word "lachs" ("salmon"), this term
refers to the method of curing. Traditionally, lox has a much higher
salt level and is not smoked; it's either dry or wet brined.

<http://www.dummies.com/WileyCDA/DummiesArticle/id-1087.html>

Lox:
Lox is salmon cured in brine so that it acquires a deliciously
distinctive, slightly salty flavor. Many feel that a thin slice of lox
on a bagel spread with cream cheese is practically a sandwich made in
heaven! In Jewish homes, lox is the favorite brunch food and is enjoyed
at many other occasions as well, from parties to light meals at home.

Lox is not smoked. Today, however, many substitute smoked salmon for
lox.

<http://recipesource.com/misc/hints/01/rec0164.html>

MMMMM----- Recipe via Meal-Master (tm) v8.02

Title: Smoking Salmon And Trout Part VIII - Making Lox
Categories: Fish, Smoke, Info
Yield: 1 text file

There are three products called Lox: old fashioned Lox, Nova Lox and
Lox Salmon [ plus a whole lot of other smoked and pickled products
using the name but bearing little resemblance to any of these].

Old fashioned Lox: Freshen mild-salted fish [salting instructions
follow in a later chapter] by soaking in several changes of water.
Thin pieces will require less time than thick pieces that may take up
to 24 hours. Test by tasting, remembering that the subsequent smoking
will dry the fish and concentrate the saltiness. Drain the freshened
fish on the smoking racks. Smoke at 85 deg F with medium density
smoke for 6-8 hrs [forced draft] or 12-16 hrs [natural draft]. Cool
the fish before wrapping and freeze any surplus. Lox is perishable.

Nova Lox and Lox Salmon: Fish may be either fresh or frozen. Frozen is
actually better as the freezing and thawing removes some of the
moisture. If the fish are frozen whole, fillet them when they are
half thawed. Cut into pieces according to thickness. Use the thick
portions for Lox and the thin ones in kippering, drying, canning or
eating fresh. Make a dry salt-sugar mix of equal parts sugar and
pickling salt. Dry salt by placing the pieces in a container of mix.
Cover each piece but do not rub it into the flesh. Sprinkle some mix
into a container and lay the salt mix dredged pieces on it skin side
down. Sprinkle each layer with more mix and add another layer etc.
Times for salting according to thickness are the same as for Scotch
smoked dry salting above.

Remove the pieces from the mix, rinse and drain. Now brine the pieces
in 90 deg sal brine [2 1/2 c salt per 2 qts water] with optional bay
leaves included. Keep brine and fish cool throughout the process.
Then freshen the fish under running water more or less to taste; the
table is just an approximation.

BRINING AND FRESHENING TIMES

Thickness Brining Time Freshening Time

3/4" 9 hrs 45 min
1" 12 hrs 1 hr 1 1/2" 18 hrs
1 1/2 hrs
2" 24 hrs 2 hrs

At this point decide whether you want smoked Nova Lox or unsmoked Lox
Salmon. For Nova Lox smoke as for old fashioned Lox. For Lox Salmon
the pieces must be dried without heat until firm enough for slicing.
A frost free refrigerator will dry uncovered Lox enough to firm it.

Extracted from: Smoking Salmon & Trout by Jack Whelan. Published by:
Airie Publishing, Deep Bay, B.C. ISBN: 0-919807-00-3 Posted by: Jim
Weller

MMMMM
Peter Aitken

"Victor Sack" > wrote in message
> Peter Aitken > wrote:
>
> > Lox is cold-smoked salmon - it is exposed to smoke at low temperature so

it
> > gets the flavor without being cooked.

> The subject is a bit controversial to state unequivocally that lox is
> *always* cold smoked. It seems that often enough it isn't. This has
> been discussed on rfc often enough. The FAQ entry, "LOX - Brine-cured
> salmon, which may or may not be also cold-smoked" is not accidental.
> Here are some citations I posted before. There are many more that say
> the same thing.

<snipped>

Yes, I did some research and see that you are right. My beef with the
original post remains, however - the maker of that silly gadget was claiming
that "real" lox is never smoked.

--
Peter Aitken

april jones

In article >, Sylvia says...

>If you've ever wanted to save money and control quality by making your
>own lox, check out this site: http://theLoxBox.com. My biochemist
>cousin Eric invented it, and he *knows* what lox should taste like -- my
>aunt Micki, his mother, was quite possibly the best cook I've ever
>known. And she and my dad were both raised in Depression-era New York
>City. Eric claims that their lox is better then what you can get at
>Zabar’s New York deli. I'm not a lox fan but I may try this anyway, and
>I'm eyeing it as a Christmas gift for a foodie friend or two.
>
>--
>Sylvia Steiger RN, homeschooling mom since Nov 1995
>http://www.SteigerFamily.com
>Cheyenne WY, USDA zone 5a, Sunset zone 1a
>Home of the Wyoming Wind Festival, January 1-December 31
>Remove "removethis" from address to reply

I purchased a LoxBox a few years ago from an upscale supermarket. It was in the
basket with the "clearance" items and I paid $8.00 for it. This summer was the
first time I used it and it worked great. A nice piece of spring salmon, some
fresh baby dill, salt and gin, 3 days in the fridge and it was great. I think
the bags are real rip off. I managed to rinse them out, dry them and reuse them
a few times. I am going to try to go "bagless" next time and see what happens.

For larger pieces I still use a Pyrex dish, plastic cutting board and cans of
tuna fish to weight it down.

April

"Wild salmon don't do drugs"

PENMART01

april jones writes:

>I purchased a LoxBox a few years ago from an upscale supermarket. It was in
>the
>basket with the "clearance" items and I paid $8.00 for it. This summer was
>the
>first time I used it and it worked great. A nice piece of spring salmon, some
>fresh baby dill, salt and gin, 3 days in the fridge and it was great. I think
>the bags are real rip off. I managed to rinse them out, dry them and reuse
>them
>a few times. I am going to try to go "bagless" next time and see what
>happens.

You'll probably give birth to an 8lb 4oz tuna.