Posted to rec.food.cooking
CC CC is offline

Default REC: Home made SourKraut

Speaking of pork and sauerkraut
Here is a easy kraut recipe using mason
jars instead of a crock

Home Made Sauerkraut

I find this much easier than making in a large stone crock

Ingredients:

Bushel of cabbage or what ever amount you have
Several gallons of boiled water
Quart Mason Jars, lids, and seals
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt or other course salt
1 teaspoon white vinegar

Directions:

1 Shred or chop cabbage,
2 Boil a large container of water for 10 min and let cool
A crab steamer works well. You will need several gallons of
water
3 Boil quart size Mason jars, lids, and seals for 10 min and let
cool
Boil a kitchen knife along with the jars
4 Fill jars with cabbage
5 To each jar add:
1 Tablespoon Kosher salt or other course salt
1 teaspoon white vinegar

6 Fill jars with the sterilized water just short of the top,
slide the knife blade down along sides of jars
several times to remove any air bubbles trapped in them
7 Place seals on jars and screw caps down hand tight
8 Keep jars covered with an old blanket for 8 to 10 weeks
I put down plastic (garbage bag, etc) and a pallet on top
of that to keep the jars off the floor in the garage or
basement,
They will cure and some of the brine will run out of the jar,
When cured, rinse the jars with water to clean them,
The caps may be rusted some. They can be taken off and tossed
if you want, The seals will be tight. I just rinse them off
and store
the jars until wanted

This recipe makes a great tasting kraut

Chuck

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default REC: Home made SourKraut [sic]

CC wrote:
> Speaking of pork and sauerkraut
> Here is a easy kraut recipe using mason
> jars instead of a crock
>
> Home Made Sauerkraut
>
> I find this much easier than making in a large stone crock
>

> Ingredients:
>
> Bushel of cabbage or what ever amount you have
> Several gallons of boiled water
> Quart Mason Jars, lids, and seals
> 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt or other course salt
> 1 teaspoon white vinegar
>
> Directions:
>
> 1 Shred or chop cabbage,
> 2 Boil a large container of water for 10 min and let cool
> A crab steamer works well. You will need several gallons of water
> 3 Boil quart size Mason jars, lids, and seals for 10 min and let cool
> Boil a kitchen knife along with the jars
> 4 Fill jars with cabbage
> 5 To each jar add:
> 1 Tablespoon Kosher salt or other course salt
> 1 teaspoon white vinegar
>
> 6 Fill jars with the sterilized water just short of the top,
> slide the knife blade down along sides of jars
> several times to remove any air bubbles trapped in them
> 7 Place seals on jars and screw caps down hand tight
> 8 Keep jars covered with an old blanket for 8 to 10 weeks
> I put down plastic (garbage bag, etc) and a pallet on top
> of that to keep the jars off the floor in the garage or basement,
> They will cure and some of the brine will run out of the jar,
> When cured, rinse the jars with water to clean them,
> The caps may be rusted some. They can be taken off and tossed
> if you want, The seals will be tight. I just rinse them off and
> store
> the jars until wanted
>
> This recipe makes a great tasting kraut
>
> Chuck

What's the purpose of the vinegar?

The jars will not be sealed. They *might* be stuck to the jar, but you
need to keep the rings on or you could have a real mess when they spill.

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking
bob bob is offline

On Mon, 23 Feb 2009 04:24:17 GMT, "CC"
> shouted from the highest rooftop:

>Speaking of pork and sauerkraut
>Here is a easy kraut recipe using mason
>jars instead of a crock

While attending university in the mid-west, I dropped by a friend's
house to see if he wanted to cruise around looking for excitement and
he sheepishly informed me that he had to stay home and help his father
clean out the basement because his homemade sour kraut stash had just
exploded all over the place.

I foolishly offered to help, but once I got down there and smelled the
disaster area I suddenly remembered an urgent appointment.

BTW - the kraut was being stored in mason jars.

--

una cerveza mas por favor ...

Wax-up and drop-in of Surfing's Golden Years: <http://www.surfwriter.net>

What exactly is 'home made'? A Moose in Love General Cooking 51 02-03-2014 11:23 PM
Breakfast, non home-made Andy[_2_] General Cooking 43 23-07-2008 01:55 PM
home made burgers [email protected] General Cooking 87 29-09-2005 03:24 AM
Home Made Pop? Gregor Winemaking 11 06-02-2005 03:47 AM
Question about making sourkraut at home. Glen Gibbons Preserving 5 10-02-2004 03:16 PM