Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default iced tea

Chinese and british are big tea drinkers.Do they have more kidney stone
patients than the rest of the world?

alkem

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Thu 24 Jul 2008 07:14:19p, told us...

> Chinese and british are big tea drinkers.Do they have more kidney stone
> patients than the rest of the world?
>
> alkem

That's a really good question to which I have no answer. I can only say that
I have been an almost exclusive iced tea drinker for most of my life and I'm
63. No problems...yet. I don't use sugar or sweetner, and only occasionally
use lemon. I also prefer it brewed strong.

--
Wayne Boatwright
Thursday, 07(VII)/24(XXIV)/08(MMVIII)

Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article 7>,
Wayne Boatwright > wrote:

> On Thu 24 Jul 2008 07:14:19p, told us...
>
> > Chinese and british are big tea drinkers.Do they have more kidney stone
> > patients than the rest of the world?
> >
> > alkem

> That's a really good question to which I have no answer. I can only say that
> I have been an almost exclusive iced tea drinker for most of my life and I'm
> 63. No problems...yet. I don't use sugar or sweetner, and only occasionally
> use lemon. I also prefer it brewed strong.

I am likewise an tea drinker (the way God intended it--black, strong,
and unsweetened), and have never had a kidney stone. Sweet tea is an
abomination. The tutti-frutti drinks that pass as iced tea here in
Seattle are likewise. I drink plenty of water, juice, and other
beverages. I stopped drinking cola in high school, and very rarely
drink other soft drinks.

There is a "kidney stone belt" in the US that pretty much encompasses
the Southern states. It may be the hot climate that reduces urine
output by increased sweating. It could be other dietary factors, such
as a high salt diet (which increases urinary calcium excretion).

The SO and a couple of our friends have had kidney stone bouts in the
last year or so. SO had his attack on Christmas Eve, and it was
probably the most pain I'd ever seen him experience. When I was driving
him to the ER, he described the location and I knew exactly what the
doctor's diagnosis would be.

Cindy

--
C.J. Fuller

Delete the obvious to email me

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> Chinese and british are big tea drinkers.Do they have more kidney stone
> patients than the rest of the world?
>
> alkem

Good question. First, it must be said that not all tea is thought to
contribute to kidney stones, only tea high in oxalic acid (mostly, black
Indian tea), and even those only contribute to particular types of kidney
stones, which are calcium-oxate. Several green tea studies have found that
green tea actually reduces the risk of kidney stones by inhibiting stone
formation.

The only people who really need to think about drining iced tea are people
who are prone to kidney stones (which tends to be men over 40), and who
don't drink enough water. People like this are also advised to limit
spinach, swiss chard, beets, rhubarb, nuts, sweet potatoes, wheat germ,
salt, celery, raspberries, green peppers, liver, grapes, and grits. But
really, the scientists at National Kidney & Urologic Disease institute as
well as the National Institute of Diabetes and Disgestive and Kidney
Diseases do not believe that any specific food will cause stones to form in
people who are not already prone to them. If you have a family history, or a
history of UTI, or kidney disorders, or hyperthyroidism, you may be prone to
developing stones. And once you've had them, you are more likely to get them
again.

kimberly

Which tee is good test-Arizona Diet Green Iced Tea & Arizona Diet Lemon Iced Tea? Scott Dorsey Tea 0 07-12-2011 08:12 PM
Iced tea toci Tea 1 14-05-2007 01:33 AM
Iced Pu-erh? Konrad Scorciapino Tea 7 12-04-2006 01:36 PM
Iced tea Me General Cooking 12 06-07-2005 03:58 PM
Mr. Iced Tea Ed Hayes Cooking Equipment 1 05-06-2004 04:15 AM