Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Overrun by cupcakes!! (plus smooth chocolate frosting recipe)

Today was the birthday party for my niece, who turned 8. She asked me to make her
cake, which I've become the "go-to" person for in my family it seems! Well, Thursday
she decided she wanted cupcakes instead, which seemed pretty easy so of course I said
yes. Wow. I never knew you could get exhausted making cupcakes! lol Her mom (my
SIL)'s family was coming down from San Bernardino, and she was having friends over
and my daughter etc...plus her mom invited her friend's parents to stay for pizza and
cake...so I know I'd need alot. I made 72 cupcakes. There are 11 left.

Now, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said "Hannah Montana make
up and flower seeds!!" I asked about the seeds: she wants to plant a garden now that
they have a yard. So, with that in mind, I made vanilla bean, cappuccino, and
chocolate cupcakes. Each one was frosted with chocolate icing, then decorated with
flowers. They were flowerpots, the chocolate icing was the "dirt", etc. I did the
math. I averaged 5 flowers per cupcake...that means I made somewhere in the
neighborhood of 360 flowers! It was fun, though, and she loved them, so it was worth
the effort.

Here's the frosting recipe for the chocolate frosting. Someone posted a while back
about wanting a soft frosting that would stay soft and creamy. This is it. I think it
was in Cook's...but it might have been Cuisine at Home.

Smooth Chocolate Frosting

2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
3/4 cup cocoa (Dutched)
1 cup powdered sugar
1 tsp vanilla
pinch salt
8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled slightly

Using a food processor: process butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth.
Add vanilla and pulse to mix. Add chocolate and process until smooth and creamy.

Very simple, very tasty.

kimberly

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:16:45 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:

>Today was the birthday party for my niece, who turned 8. She asked me to make her
>cake, which I've become the "go-to" person for in my family it seems! Well, Thursday
>she decided she wanted cupcakes instead, which seemed pretty easy so of course I said
>yes. Wow. I never knew you could get exhausted making cupcakes! lol Her mom (my
>SIL)'s family was coming down from San Bernardino, and she was having friends over
>and my daughter etc...plus her mom invited her friend's parents to stay for pizza and
>cake...so I know I'd need alot. I made 72 cupcakes. There are 11 left.
>
>Now, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said "Hannah Montana make
>up and flower seeds!!" I asked about the seeds: she wants to plant a garden now that
>they have a yard. So, with that in mind, I made vanilla bean, cappuccino, and
>chocolate cupcakes. Each one was frosted with chocolate icing, then decorated with
>flowers. They were flowerpots, the chocolate icing was the "dirt", etc. I did the
>math. I averaged 5 flowers per cupcake...that means I made somewhere in the
>neighborhood of 360 flowers! It was fun, though, and she loved them, so it was worth
>the effort.
>
>Here's the frosting recipe for the chocolate frosting. Someone posted a while back
>about wanting a soft frosting that would stay soft and creamy. This is it. I think it
>was in Cook's...but it might have been Cuisine at Home.
>
>Smooth Chocolate Frosting
>
>2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
>3/4 cup cocoa (Dutched)
>1 cup powdered sugar
>1 tsp vanilla
>pinch salt
>8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
>
>Using a food processor: process butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and salt until smooth.
>Add vanilla and pulse to mix. Add chocolate and process until smooth and creamy.
>
>Very simple, very tasty.
>
>kimberly

And the jpg's for these darling cupcakes are ?????

koko
---
http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
updated 2/17
"There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
George Bernard Shaw
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Nexis" > wrote in message

> Now, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said "Hannah
> Montana make up and flower seeds!!" I asked about the seeds: she wants to
> plant a garden now that they have a yard. So, with that in mind, I made
> vanilla bean, cappuccino, and chocolate cupcakes. Each one was frosted
> with chocolate icing, then decorated with flowers. They were flowerpots,
> the chocolate icing was the "dirt", etc.

Well, this is totally adorable. What a lucky girl.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

> wrote in message
> On Sun, 24 Feb 2008 01:16:45 -0800, "Nexis" > wrote:
>
>>Today was the birthday party for my niece, who turned 8. She asked me to make her
>>cake, which I've become the "go-to" person for in my family it seems! Well,
>>Thursday
>>she decided she wanted cupcakes instead, which seemed pretty easy so of course I
>>said
>>yes. Wow. I never knew you could get exhausted making cupcakes! lol Her mom (my
>>SIL)'s family was coming down from San Bernardino, and she was having friends over
>>and my daughter etc...plus her mom invited her friend's parents to stay for pizza
>>and
>>cake...so I know I'd need alot. I made 72 cupcakes. There are 11 left.
>>
>>Now, when I asked her what she wanted for her birthday, she said "Hannah Montana
>>make
>>up and flower seeds!!" I asked about the seeds: she wants to plant a garden now
>>that
>>they have a yard. So, with that in mind, I made vanilla bean, cappuccino, and
>>chocolate cupcakes. Each one was frosted with chocolate icing, then decorated with
>>flowers. They were flowerpots, the chocolate icing was the "dirt", etc. I did the
>>math. I averaged 5 flowers per cupcake...that means I made somewhere in the
>>neighborhood of 360 flowers! It was fun, though, and she loved them, so it was
>>worth
>>the effort.
>>
>>Here's the frosting recipe for the chocolate frosting. Someone posted a while back
>>about wanting a soft frosting that would stay soft and creamy. This is it. I think
>>it
>>was in Cook's...but it might have been Cuisine at Home.
>>
>>Smooth Chocolate Frosting
>>
>>2 1/2 sticks unsalted butter, softened
>>3/4 cup cocoa (Dutched)
>>1 cup powdered sugar
>>1 tsp vanilla
>>pinch salt
>>8 ounces chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
>>
>>Using a food processor: process butter, cocoa, powdered sugar, and salt until
>>smooth.
>>Add vanilla and pulse to mix. Add chocolate and process until smooth and creamy.
>>
>>Very simple, very tasty.
>>
>>kimberly

> And the jpg's for these darling cupcakes are ?????
>
> koko
> ---
> http://www.kokoscorner.typepad.com
> updated 2/17
> "There is no love more sincere than the love of food"
> George Bernard Shaw

LOL! I took a couple pics with my cell phone, because I was so into making them that
I didn't think to grab a camera...I'll post them once I upload them.

kimberly