Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default (2008-02-19) New survey on the RFC site: Making Chili?

http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Darn - I'm first and I've never made chili in my life. Is that ironic or
what?

<grin>

Guess I'll just have to pass on the hat then.

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote:
> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> Darn - I'm first and I've never made chili in my life. Is that ironic or
> what?
>
> <grin>

<lol> What better time to start?

> Guess I'll just have to pass on the hat then.

Nah, you 'owned up' so you get to choose a TFH. Enjoy it while making
your first pot of chili

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:23:52 +0200:

C> MJB wrote:
??>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
??>> ...
??>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
??>>>
??>>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or
??>>> beef?' for this one...
??>>
??>> Darn - I'm first and I've never made chili in my life. Is
??>> that ironic or what?
??>>
??>> <grin>

C> <lol> What better time to start?
??>>
??>> Guess I'll just have to pass on the hat then.

C> Nah, you 'owned up' so you get to choose a TFH. Enjoy it
C> while making your first pot of chili

There might well have been a way to indicate two choices. I
usually use turkey but sometimes chicken and either can be
ground or cut small based on how inspiration strikes me. It's
the same for beans: inspiration tho' never *in* Cincinatti
Chili.

James Silverton
Potomac, Maryland

E-mail, with obvious alterations:
not.jim.silverton.at.verizon.not

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"kilikini" wrote:

> I've never made it either! �I could never stand the stuff. �
> I don't care if it has beans in, ground beef, shredded beef,
> what have you. �It's the chili powder I don't like.

It's probably that *salt laden* el cheapo taste-in-ass commercial
chili powder that most everyone uses. Try with Penzey's no-salt added
chili powder, and use my recipe, you'll love chili made with
chocolate.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sheldon wrote:
>Try with Penzey's no-salt added
> chili powder, and use my recipe, you'll love chili made with
> chocolate.

Heh... or you could make your own (chili powder and/or chocolate)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy - who has a sudden yearning for mole sauce....

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:

> There might well have been a way to indicate two choices. I usually use
> turkey but sometimes chicken and either can be ground or cut small based
> on how inspiration strikes me. It's the same for beans: inspiration tho'
> never *in* Cincinatti Chili.

Looks like you're in the minority (so far)...

FWIW, I like my chili with (diced) beef the most and pork is a close
second. And I add beans to mine.

:-P

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Feb 19, 10:15 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

I make mine without meat, which means maybe I don't make chili, just
spicy tomato and kidney beans.

maxine in ri
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> Sheldon wrote:
> >Try with Penzey's no-salt added
> > chili powder, and use my recipe, you'll love chili made with
> > chocolate.
> >

> Heh... or you could make your own (chili powder and/or chocolate)
> --
> Cheers
> Chatty Cathy - who has a sudden yearning for mole sauce....
>
> Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Rehydrate dried chili peppers of the varieties you prefer and run them
through a food mill to extract the pulp / paste.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:15 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> I make mine without meat, which means maybe I don't make chili, just
> spicy tomato and kidney beans.
>
> maxine in ri

I was referring to:

http://www.merriam-webster.com/cgi-b...onary&va=chili

2 a : a thick sauce of meat and chilies

Apologies; in future I will endeavor to Be More Specific (BMS)
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

No question about Y/N tomatoes???
Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:

> On Feb 19, 10:15 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>
> >http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

> > I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> I make mine without meat, which means maybe I don't make chili, just
> spicy tomato and kidney beans.

I've made "vegetarian chili" (I have vegan friends), you can put in
all sortsa stuff: carrots, corn, mushrooms, diced potatoes...it's
pretty tasty actually.

--
Best
Greg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"zxcvbob" > wrote in message

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this
>> one...

> No question about Y/N tomatoes???

YES to tomatoes, but just a little. Either pass one large, ripe tomato over
the pot, or add one diced roma tomato per four pounds of beef.

Posted to rec.food.cooking

James Silverton wrote:
> ChattyCathy wrote on Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:23:52 +0200:
>
> C> MJB wrote:
> ??>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> ??>> ...
> ??>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
> ??>>>
> ??>>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or
> ??>>> beef?' for this one...
> ??>>
> ??>> Darn - I'm first and I've never made chili in my life. Is
> ??>> that ironic or what?
> ??>>
> ??>> <grin>
>
> C> <lol> What better time to start?
> ??>>
> ??>> Guess I'll just have to pass on the hat then.
>
> C> Nah, you 'owned up' so you get to choose a TFH. Enjoy it
> C> while making your first pot of chili
>
> There might well have been a way to indicate two choices. I usually use
> turkey but sometimes chicken and either can be ground or cut small based
> on how inspiration strikes me. It's the same for beans: inspiration tho'
> never *in* Cincinatti Chili.

Since I always have the "5-way" I just go ahead and
put the beans in it. No sense dirtying another pot.
Same with regular chili. I always have beans so why
not put them in it instead of serving separately? I
guess if I were making it for guests who were Texans
I'd, perhaps, serve the beans separately. Maybe. ;-)

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:

> James Silverton wrote:
>

>> There might well have been a way to indicate two choices. I usually
>> use turkey but sometimes chicken and either can be ground or cut small
>> based on how inspiration strikes me. It's the same for beans:
>> inspiration tho' never *in* Cincinatti Chili.

> Looks like you're in the minority (so far)...
>
> FWIW, I like my chili with (diced) beef the most and pork is a close
> second. And I add beans to mine.

To me "chili" means the old-fashioned beef kind.
And since I grew up in Pittsburgh and my mother always
made it with ground beef (we didn't know about any
other way back in those days) that's what I do and what
I like. Now I wouldn't object to eatin' the Texas
version, or any other version, but to me chili is what
I grew up with. Now I do make "green chili" sometimes
using pork but to me that's green chili stew and not
really "chili". So I said I only use beef in chili in
the survey. I've tried "white chilis" with chicken
but don't care much for them.

Kate

--
Kate Connally
Until you bite their heads off.”

Posted to rec.food.cooking

cybercat wrote:
> "zxcvbob" > wrote in message
>>
>> ChattyCathy wrote:
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>>
>>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this
>>> one...

>> No question about Y/N tomatoes???

> YES to tomatoes, but just a little. Either pass one large, ripe
> tomato over the pot, or add one diced roma tomato per four pounds of
> beef.

So, when you pass the tomato over the beef, do you sing incantations?

O who doesn't like anything spicy!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

zxcvbob wrote:

> ChattyCathy wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this
>> one...

> No question about Y/N tomatoes???

You need a Y/N for tomatoes?

I'll take it under advisement <lol>
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> MJB wrote:
>> "ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
>>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/

>> Darn - I'm first and I've never made chili in my life. Is that ironic or
>> what?
>>
>> <grin>

> <lol> What better time to start?

Sometime later maybe I've got pad thai on the menu for tonight. I even
grew the bean sprouts special...

>> Guess I'll just have to pass on the hat then.

> Nah, you 'owned up' so you get to choose a TFH.

Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which one
that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city girl or a
country girl.

> Enjoy it while making your first pot of chili

See, that's part of the problem with chili - it comes in 'pots' and uses
recipes that requires 'pounds' of beans and 'sides' of meat and 'bushels' of
peppers - I like to cook in a one quart pan.

<grin>

--
MJB

Mr. Tin's Miniature Painting Workshop:
http://web.newsguy.com/Mrtinsworkshop/

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"kilikini" > wrote in message

> I've never made it either! I could never stand the stuff. I don't care
> if it has beans in, ground beef, shredded beef, what have you. It's the
> chili powder I don't like. LOL. :~)
>
> kili

I like chili powder just fine - I use a lot of it in my 'mexican' cooking.
It just that 'chili' (with or without frijoles) is not so favorite a food
that I'm willing to go to the trouble to make a 'pot' of it. Despite having
all the ingrediants readily at hand.

<shrug>

I probably only go through two or three cans of commercial chili a year
anyway.

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MJB" > wrote

> Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which one
> that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city girl or a
> country girl.

I wondered who beat me out for the hat only to say they
don't make chili, no way, no how!

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

MJB wrote:

> Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which one
> that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city girl or a
> country girl.

Hmm. The last time I wore the tiara when I went to feed the hens they
got all upset, so I guess it's not that one.

> See, that's part of the problem with chili - it comes in 'pots' and uses
> recipes that requires 'pounds' of beans and 'sides' of meat and 'bushels' of
> peppers - I like to cook in a one quart pan.

Only ONE quart?? Good grief!
--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"ChattyCathy" > wrote in message
> MJB wrote:
>

>> Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which
>> one that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city girl
>> or a country girl.
>>

> Hmm. The last time I wore the tiara when I went to feed the hens they got
> all upset, so I guess it's not that one.

From the Wikepedia entry 'baseball cap'

"Another version of the baseball cap, worn often-but not exclusively-by
farmers and migrant agricultural workers, is the plastic mesh cap with foam
fronts and a farm feed supply company logo or the like printed on the cap...
it is also known as a "gimme cap" due to its being given away for free as a
method of advertising."

>> See, that's part of the problem with chili - it comes in 'pots' and uses
>> recipes that requires 'pounds' of beans and 'sides' of meat and 'bushels'
>> of peppers - I like to cook in a one quart pan.

> Only ONE quart?? Good grief!

I exaggerate for purposes of distinguishing between what a single man cooks
for himself and for a 'feed'. But I just cooked 1 1/2 cups of raw rice with
two cups of water in a covered saucepan for lunch - and that will be enough
rice for at least three meals.

My big pans rarely get used nowdays. The older I get, I just find myself
cooking smaller and smaller quantities....

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking
MJB MJB is offline

"Nancy Young" > wrote in message
. ..

> "MJB" > wrote
>
>> Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which
>> one that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city girl
>> or a country girl.

> I wondered who beat me out for the hat only to say they
> don't make chili, no way, no how!
>
> nancy

I tried to give it back, but CC wouldn't hear of it...

Sorr-eee....

MJB

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"MJB" > wrote

> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>> "MJB" > wrote
>>
>>> Guess I'll go with the 'feed cap' then. I'll let you figure-out which
>>> one that is - it will also be an indication of whether you're a city
>>> girl or a country girl.

>> I wondered who beat me out for the hat only to say they
>> don't make chili, no way, no how!

> I tried to give it back, but CC wouldn't hear of it...
>
> Sorr-eee....

Heh, that's okay, I have a couple hats already, I really don't
know where I'd put another.

nancy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:15:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> wrote:

>http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
>I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

Shoot, Cathy.... MCINL. I use beef only, but the other options depend
on my mood. Ground beef & beans, beef chunks with no beans.... you
also forgot about beer/no beer and the dreaded cilantro factor!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 13:45:16 -0500, Kate Connally >
wrote:

>Now I do make "green chili" sometimes
>using pork but to me that's green chili stew and not
>really "chili"

Heh, that's chili verde!

--
See return address to reply by email
remove the smiley face first
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:15:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> Shoot, Cathy.... MCINL. I use beef only, but the other options depend
> on my mood. Ground beef & beans, beef chunks with no beans.... you
> also forgot about beer/no beer and the dreaded cilantro factor!

*Dreaded* cilantro? - pfffft! Cilantro is great

--
Cheers
Chatty Cathy

Food is an important part of a balanced diet. - Fran Lebowitz
Posted to rec.food.cooking

sf wrote:
> On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 17:15:33 +0200, ChattyCathy
> > wrote:
>
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> Shoot, Cathy.... MCINL. I use beef only, but the other options depend
> on my mood. Ground beef & beans, beef chunks with no beans.... you
> also forgot about beer/no beer and the dreaded cilantro factor!

If you can get it, try venison sometime (it's usually too lean, you'll
have to add some fat)

Bob
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Tue, 19 Feb 2008 15:17:48 -0500, "Nancy Young" >
wrote:

>"MJB" > wrote
>
>> "Nancy Young" > wrote

>>> "MJB" > wrote

>>> I wondered who beat me out for the hat only to say they
>>> don't make chili, no way, no how!

>> I tried to give it back, but CC wouldn't hear of it...
>>
>> Sorr-eee....

>Heh, that's okay, I have a couple hats already, I really don't
>know where I'd put another.
>
>nancy

on your head, bartholomew.

your pal,
ted
Posted to rec.food.cooking

ChattyCathy wrote:
> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>
> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

I usually use beans and omit the beef.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada

Posted to rec.food.cooking

maxine in ri wrote:
> On Feb 19, 10:15 am, ChattyCathy > wrote:
>> http://www.recfoodcooking.com/
>>
>> I am going to blame the thread 'Chili....chicken or beef?' for this one...

> I make mine without meat, which means maybe I don't make chili, just
> spicy tomato and kidney beans.
>
> maxine in ri

Chickpeas are a good addition in my experience and lima beans aren't bad.

--
John Kane, Kingston ON Canada