Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Attention Winco shoppers

I headed to my local Winco to pick up stuff for Christmas yesterday. We
are prime ribbing it this year. After getting brussels sprouts, green
beans, olives, etc., I went to the meat section. They are selling
standing rib roasts here for $2.98 a pound. Two per customer. I have
never considered buying two standing rib roasts before. But I bought
two. Two seven pound plus roasts for twenty two bucks and change apiece.
I froze one. I called all my friends; even those who don't shop at
Winco.
For those of you who do shop at Winco, you might check to see if there
is any price close to that in your area. On the other hand, maybe a
standing rib is cheap in other parts of the US. Dungeness crab was
inexpensive there as well. Only I get gout from shellfish which breaks
my heart.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:01:00 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>I headed to my local Winco to pick up stuff for Christmas yesterday. We
>are prime ribbing it this year. After getting brussels sprouts, green
>beans, olives, etc., I went to the meat section. They are selling
>standing rib roasts here for $2.98 a pound. Two per customer. I have
>never considered buying two standing rib roasts before. But I bought
>two. Two seven pound plus roasts for twenty two bucks and change apiece.
>I froze one. I called all my friends; even those who don't shop at
>Winco.

A word of advisement here. I found out, in the past few years, that
those lower cost rib roasts don't have much marbling. Therefore, when
you roast them, they aren't as tender as the more expensive ones that
have more marbling.
They can still be good though, just not as tender.

Christine
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Christine Dabney > wrote:

> A word of advisement here. I found out, in the past few years, that
> those lower cost rib roasts don't have much marbling. Therefore, when
> you roast them, they aren't as tender as the more expensive ones that
> have more marbling.
> They can still be good though, just not as tender.

We'll see. The marbling in the meat *is* sparse on the pieces I selected
which may be the case for all. And frankly the fat cover is probably
over a half inch. I'll still think it's a steal. It's definitely not
USDA prime.
Well there goes the 'prime ribbing' in my original post. How about the
'select ribbing'? I generally buy 'select' anyway.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 18:22:48 -0600, Sqwertz >
wrote:

>On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:38:06 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> Well there goes the 'prime ribbing' in my original post. How about the
>> 'select ribbing'? I generally buy 'select' anyway.

>It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
>comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.
>
>I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
>just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
>and cheap around the holidays.

REAL cheap. I see pork crown roasts are $1.79 a pound here.

Lou
Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Sqwertz" > wrote in message
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:38:06 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> Well there goes the 'prime ribbing' in my original post. How about the
>> 'select ribbing'? I generally buy 'select' anyway.

> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.
>
> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
> and cheap around the holidays.
>
> -sw

I thought Prime Rib came from Prime grade meat and that the other roasts
were called standing rib roasts. Not true?
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Sqwertz wrote:
> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:38:06 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>
>> Well there goes the 'prime ribbing' in my original post. How about the
>> 'select ribbing'? I generally buy 'select' anyway.

> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.
>
> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
> and cheap around the holidays.
>
> -sw

It is only prime rib if the meat is graded "prime"..otherwise it is a
standing rib roast.
Posted to rec.food.cooking

In article >,
Sqwertz > wrote:

> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.

Frankly, it is sold as a 'beef rib roast'. It's a standing rib. I swear
folks!

> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
> and cheap around the holidays.

I promise I will report back after Christmas Day to give my critique. My
critique will be biased accorded to the price I paid. I still think I
got a steal.

leo
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:32:32 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:

> I promise I will report back after Christmas Day to give my critique. My
> critique will be biased accorded to the price I paid. I still think I
> got a steal.
>
> leo

Your deal was about a buck+ a pound off the norm for the holiday season
here if it is cattleman's select grade. It will be fine. Slice not too
thick and be sure to use your meat thermometer. Report back.. I usually
get choice never prime and choice has always been good, but would like to
know about your experience.

jay
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Goomba38 wrote:

> Sqwertz wrote:
>
>> On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 15:38:06 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell wrote:
>>
>>> Well there goes the 'prime ribbing' in my original post. How about
>>> the 'select ribbing'? I generally buy 'select' anyway.

>> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
>> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.
>>
>> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
>> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
>> and cheap around the holidays.
>>
>> -sw

> It is only prime rib if the meat is graded "prime"..otherwise it is a
> standing rib roast.

"Prime Rib" refers to a cut, not a grade. They only coincidentally
share the word "prime". This is a long standing source of confusion.

You'll find texts going back as far as 18th century England, or even
further, that mention prime rib. The term predates the USDA and USDA
grading by at least a century.

Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Reg wrote:

>> It is only prime rib if the meat is graded "prime"..otherwise it is a
>> standing rib roast.

> "Prime Rib" refers to a cut, not a grade. They only coincidentally
> share the word "prime". This is a long standing source of confusion.
>
> You'll find texts going back as far as 18th century England, or even
> further, that mention prime rib. The term predates the USDA and USDA
> grading by at least a century.
>
> Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
> safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.

According to Barron's Food Lover's Companion (1990)-
"The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is
actually a Rib Roast. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to
the highest USDA beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef,
hallmarked by even marbling and a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime
beef makes it past the better hotels and restaurants or prestige
butchers. The best grade of beef generally found in supermarkets is USDA
Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib"is how rib roast is often
labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef."

Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

Goomba38 wrote:

> Reg wrote:
>
>>> It is only prime rib if the meat is graded "prime"..otherwise it is a
>>> standing rib roast.

>> "Prime Rib" refers to a cut, not a grade. They only coincidentally
>> share the word "prime". This is a long standing source of confusion.
>>
>> You'll find texts going back as far as 18th century England, or even
>> further, that mention prime rib. The term predates the USDA and USDA
>> grading by at least a century.
>>
>> Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
>> safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.
>>

> According to Barron's Food Lover's Companion (1990)-
> "The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is
> actually a Rib Roast. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to
> the highest USDA beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef,
> hallmarked by even marbling and a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime
> beef makes it past the better hotels and restaurants or prestige
> butchers. The best grade of beef generally found in supermarkets is USDA
> Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib"is how rib roast is often
> labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef."

Yes this is often cited, and it's incorrect. For the reasons stated
above, among others.

It implies that there are two different definitions for the term, one
for the USA and one for the rest of the world. There isn't.

Not even the USDA defines prime rib as necessarily USDA prime graded.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

"Leonard Blaisdell" > wrote in message
> In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
>> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.

> Frankly, it is sold as a 'beef rib roast'. It's a standing rib. I swear
> folks!
>>
>> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
>> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
>> and cheap around the holidays.

> I promise I will report back after Christmas Day to give my critique. My
> critique will be biased accorded to the price I paid. I still think I
> got a steal.
>
> leo

I contacted friends in my city that I know have always purchased the sale
Winco rib roasts. They were delighted to know that another sale is on.
They've always been very happy with the meat and have shared their
experience with others. They are extremely picky about quality of meat. I
think you will have a good experience.
Janet

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:47:42 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
>safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.

well, why not, god damn it? what kind of chickenshit empire are we
running here?

your pal,
dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 11:58:59 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>Goomba38 wrote:

>>> "Prime Rib" refers to a cut, not a grade. They only coincidentally
>>> share the word "prime". This is a long standing source of confusion.
>>>
>>> You'll find texts going back as far as 18th century England, or even
>>> further, that mention prime rib. The term predates the USDA and USDA
>>> grading by at least a century.
>>>
>>> Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
>>> safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.
>>>

>> According to Barron's Food Lover's Companion (1990)-
>> "The term "prime rib" is often incorrectly used as a label for what is
>> actually a Rib Roast. Culinarily, the term "prime" actually refers to
>> the highest USDA beef grade. It's only given to the finest beef,
>> hallmarked by even marbling and a creamy layer of fat. Very little prime
>> beef makes it past the better hotels and restaurants or prestige
>> butchers. The best grade of beef generally found in supermarkets is USDA
>> Choice. Therefore, although "prime rib"is how rib roast is often
>> labeled, chances are that it's USDA Choice beef."

>Yes this is often cited, and it's incorrect. For the reasons stated
>above, among others.
>
>It implies that there are two different definitions for the term, one
>for the USA and one for the rest of the world. There isn't.
>
>Not even the USDA defines prime rib as necessarily USDA prime graded.

you mean 'barron's food lover's companion' is incorrect? sheldon may
have to hang up his cut 'n' paste spikes.

your pal,
blake
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Fri, 21 Dec 2007 17:32:32 -0800, Leonard Blaisdell
> wrote:

>In article >,
> Sqwertz > wrote:
>
>> It's still a prime rib even if it's USDA Select. As long as it
>> comes from ribs 7-12, it's a prime rib.

>Frankly, it is sold as a 'beef rib roast'. It's a standing rib. I swear
>folks!
>>
>> I'd be worried that's it's even lower than USDA Select. It could
>> just be a loss leader for them. Rib roasts are pretty popular
>> and cheap around the holidays.

>I promise I will report back after Christmas Day to give my critique. My
>critique will be biased accorded to the price I paid. I still think I
>got a steal.
>
>leo

at that price, it would still be pretty good if you cut it up and made
chili from it.

your pal,
blake

Posted to rec.food.cooking

blake murphy wrote:

> you mean 'barron's food lover's companion' is incorrect? sheldon may
> have to hang up his cut 'n' paste spikes.
>
> your pal,
> blake

I've owned the book for years and find it an excellent resource.
Posted to rec.food.cooking
Reg Reg is offline

blake murphy wrote:

> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:47:42 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>

>>Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
>>safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.

> well, why not, god damn it? what kind of chickenshit empire are we
> running here?

Look all I'm asking is that we don't invade the entire rest of
the world just yet. We should wait for sanctions to take effect
first.

--
Reg

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 20:13:08 GMT, Reg > wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 03:47:42 GMT, Reg > wrote:
>>

>>>Plus, don't forget about all the other English speaking countries. It's
>>>safe to say the USDA does not grade all their prime rib.

>> well, why not, god damn it? what kind of chickenshit empire are we
>> running here?

>Look all I'm asking is that we don't invade the entire rest of
>the world just yet. We should wait for sanctions to take effect
>first.

well, they better shape up. canada has been looking kinda shady
lately.

your pal,
dick
Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Sat, 22 Dec 2007 13:11:32 -0500, Goomba38 >
wrote:

>blake murphy wrote:
>
>> you mean 'barron's food lover's companion' is incorrect? sheldon may
>> have to hang up his cut 'n' paste spikes.
>>
>> your pal,
>> blake

>I've owned the book for years and find it an excellent resource.

i'm sure it is. sheldon just has the habit of quoting it as if it's
the word o' god himself.

your pal,
blake