Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Meat pie filling

Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
pastry and baked in a pie case!!

(BTW, thanks Maggie!!)

Ingredients

1kg Coorong Angus Beef Chuck (I used any old beef)
seasoned gluten free flour (or whatever)
Extra virgin Olive oil (or whatever)
600ml Shiraz........ (a good one!!)
500ml veal or jellied chicken stock (I used commercial tetra pak stock)
2 bay leaves (didn't have, so didn't use...... didn't miss them)
150g bacon (I used about 300g's)
100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)
1tsp chopped fresh thyme
50g tomato paste
2 cloves of garlic crushed
150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)

Method

Cut beef into 2cm cubes (or 1.5cm for small pies.) Using a plastic bag
toss seasoned gluten free flour and beef chunks to just coat. Choose a
heavy based pot. Fry off beef chunks in 3 to 4 small batches till
golden.
Put all meat back into the pot, add the tomato paste, the garlic and
cook for a minute. Add eshallots and bacon. Season with some sea salt.

Turn to high temperature and deglaze with the red wine. Add the chopped
mushrooms and the stock and bring whole mix to the boil, skimming of any
impurities. Add bay leaves and thyme. Leave to cook till tender on stove
top approximately 2.5 to 3 hours.

Check seasoning and add freshly ground black pepper. Strain meat and
reduce sauce to desired consistency.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

PeterLucas said...

> Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
> pastry and baked in a pie case!!

Peter,

<recipe snipped for brevity>

Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]

That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went into a
meat pie!

About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

Andy

Posted to rec.food.cooking

On Aug 31, 2:21 am, Andy <q> wrote:
> PeterLucas said...
>
> > Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
> > pastry and baked in a pie case!!

> Peter,
>
> <recipe snipped for brevity>
>
> Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]
>
> That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went into a
> meat pie!
>
> About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?
>
> Andy

I would think about 4-6 individual pies Andy... depending on size of
container. If you used a ramekin and just 'lidded' with pastry you'd
possibly get more like 4.
Would make an impressive family pie in a large, deep sided, pie dish.
Could also dispense with lid on top and go with a really scrumptious
garlic mashed potato.... for a cottage pie!

BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
in pan on stovetop.
Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
12-15 mins.

Started the experiment with cubed/diced meats. Amazing the difference
in tenderness.
Then tried stir fry strips (for a stroganoff). Equally good results.
Last week did minced beef, then mashed with a fork once it was
browned, for a bolognaise. In fact ended up doing the entire bog in
the oven, save for sauteeing the onions, and it was brilliant.
Didn't use tomato paste, instead used 3 bottles of passata, using one
at a time until it had evaporated, then added another, baked some
more, finally another. Mind you, I did use 2kg topside mince. Plus all
other bits & pieces. It was a truly delicious spag bol.

LadyJane
"Never trust a skinny cook!"
Looking forward to the 12 Sept.... my new kitchen arrives!!!!!!

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Andy <q> wrote in :

> PeterLucas said...
>
>> Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
>> pastry and baked in a pie case!!

> Peter,
>
> <recipe snipped for brevity>
>
> Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]
>
> That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went
> into a meat pie!

It sure is gourmet. Comes from Maggie Beer.

> About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?

If you mean regular as in what we buy in a shop over here for a snack.....
probably (if my memory serves me correctly.... damn I miss that show!!)
about 8-10. I put the mix in my biggest pyrex dish........ it's about 3"
deep and 12" across.

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

LadyJane > wrote in
ps.com:

> On Aug 31, 2:21 am, Andy <q> wrote:
>> PeterLucas said...
>>
>> > Rich and tasty........ and even better whacked in between some puff
>> > pastry and baked in a pie case!!

>> Peter,
>>
>> <recipe snipped for brevity>
>>
>> Mmmmm... meat pies... [drool]
>>
>> That's a gourmet meat pie filling?!? I didn't realize so much went
>> into a meat pie!
>>
>> About the recipe, how many regular meat pies will that batch make?
>>
>> Andy

> I would think about 4-6 individual pies Andy... depending on size of
> container. If you used a ramekin and just 'lidded' with pastry you'd
> possibly get more like 4.

*4*???!! Them's is bloody big ramekins!!

> Would make an impressive family pie in a large, deep sided, pie dish.
> Could also dispense with lid on top and go with a really scrumptious
> garlic mashed potato.... for a cottage pie!

I'm going to have to ask the SO what I did with it, and when. I think I
may have done it for a dinner party we had... not sure.

> BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
> in pan on stovetop.
> Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
> mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
> Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
> 12-15 mins.
>
> Started the experiment with cubed/diced meats. Amazing the difference
> in tenderness.

Hmmmmm, going to have to try this. Thanks.

> In fact ended up doing the entire bog in
> the oven,

Jeez..... you must be a short arse..... or you've got a rather large
oven!!

Is the toilet roll holder in there too??

;-P

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

Steve

PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Steve Y > wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
@mid.individual.net:

> Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

You very obviously didn't read the last part.

100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)

> Steve
>
> PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.

Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!

> PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

In the context of the recipe, it says.........

"150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"

Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)

But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I *really*
don't give a shit.

Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
in my grid square. OK?

--
Peter Lucas
Brisbane
Australia

"People sleep safely in their beds because rough men stand ready in
the night to do violence to those who would do them harm"
-- George Orwell
Posted to rec.food.cooking

Cobber

A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)

B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the apostrophe serve ?

C) Am sure that Ozzie Shiraz is far better than American Shiraz (note
the use of the smiley in my original post), unfortunately here in the
Beaujolais, there is a lack of available samples for me to do my own
taste test. We do have Cote du Rhone available of course but we do tend
to use the local wine for coooking

Steve

PS I do like winding up colonials when given the chance !

PeterLucas wrote:
> Steve Y > wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
> @mid.individual.net:
>
>> Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

> You very obviously didn't read the last part.
>

> 100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)
>

>> Steve
>>
>> PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

> Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.
>

> Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!
>

>> PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

> In the context of the recipe, it says.........
>
> "150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"
>

> Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
> mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)
>

> But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I *really*
> don't give a shit.
>
> Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
> in my grid square. OK?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Recipe: Meat pie filling (corrected)

Cobber

A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)

B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the "apostrophe s" serve ?

Steve Y wrote:
> Cobber
>
> A) shallot (English), échalote (French) , Eshallot (?)
>

> B) in " 400g's ", what purpose does the apostrophe serve ?
>
> C) Am sure that Ozzie Shiraz is far better than American Shiraz (note
> the use of the smiley in my original post), unfortunately here in the
> Beaujolais, there is a lack of available samples for me to do my own
> taste test. We do have Cote du Rhone available of course but we do tend
> to use the local wine for coooking
>
> Steve
>
> PS I do like winding up colonials when given the chance !
>

> PeterLucas wrote:
>> Steve Y > wrote in news:5jqlvrFqvcuU1
>> @mid.individual.net:
>>
>>> Is an eshallot an onion bought over the Internet ?

>> You very obviously didn't read the last part.
>>

>> 100g eshallots peeled and halved (cooking onions would suffice)
>>

>>> Steve
>>>
>>> PS I assume a " good Shiraz" rules out use of any Ozzie stuff :-)

>> Oh yeah, OK........ lets use a 'good' US shiraz.
>>

>> Don't hold your breath!! ROFLMFAO!!!!!
>>

>>> PPS 400g's ? 400g surely ?

>> In the context of the recipe, it says.........
>>
>> "150g Portobello or button mushrooms ( I used about 400g's)"
>>

>> Quite clearly it states that the original recipe calls for 150g's of
>> mushrooms, but at the end I have added that I used 'about 400g's)
>>

>> But............ seeing what a pedant(ic) person you are..... I
>> *really* don't give a shit.
>>
>> Go away, and carry on, where-ever you may like....... just don't do it
>> in my grid square. OK?

Posted to rec.food.cooking

Default Maggies free shipping for Sept... Recipe: Meat pie filling

LadyJane > wrote in
ps.com:

> BTW, have been browning all meats in the oven of late. As opposed to
> in pan on stovetop.
> Heat a large deep sided baking dish in a 220DegC oven for around 10
> mins then drizzle with evoo then add meat.
> Bake in hot oven for around 20 minutes, moving meat around after about
> 12-15 mins.

Talking about cooking beef in the oven..........

http://www.abc.net.au/tv/cookandchef/txt/s2030116.htm

She used Vino Cotto instead of balsamic.

BTW, Maggies online shopping has free shipping for this month.

http://www.maggiebeer.com.au/products/

I'm getting my order together now :-)

Do You Have A Good Taco Filling Recipe? Judy Haffner General Cooking 25 30-10-2011 08:02 PM
Meat and Rice Filling for Empanada Size Pies Jane[_1_] Recipes (moderated) 0 04-12-2007 02:39 AM
homade cherry and blueberry pie filling recipe [email protected] General Cooking 3 23-12-2004 04:04 PM
jelly donut filling recipe? Jan Baking 3 08-06-2004 07:50 AM
REQ: meat-jun recipe Asian Cooking 0 18-03-2004 04:41 AM