Vince Poroke

Default Cast Iron Reactive question

Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?

Thanks.
zxcvbob

Vince Poroke wrote:
> Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
> the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
>
> Thanks.

No it won't ruin it (the sauce or the dutch oven.) It *may* darken the
sauce a little; add a little gray to it. But it's a great source of
dietary iron. Seriously.

Wash the dutch oven with soap and water and give a wipe with shortening
when you are done.

Best regards,
Bob

levelwave

zxcvbob wrote:

> No it won't ruin it (the sauce or the dutch oven.) It *may* darken the
> sauce a little; add a little gray to it. But it's a great source of
> dietary iron. Seriously.

It's a great source of iron for premenopausal women... As for the rest
of us - supplementing iron (besides dietary iron) is a bad thing...

~john!

Dimitri

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message
om...
> Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
> the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
>
> Thanks.

There is no exact answer to your question as the answer depends on a few
factors:

How well seasoned is the pot?
How acidic is the mixture?
How long will you be cooking the mixture?

In my experience cooking acidic dishes in cast iron has not been a problem
with a well seasoned pot. On the other hand the acid in the mixture will
slightly diminish the "seasoning".

As somewhat of a precaution before cooking I would make sure the sides and
lid have a light coating of vegetable oil.

Under normal circumstances it's OK,

Dimtiri

zxcvbob

levelwave wrote:

> zxcvbob wrote:
>
>> No it won't ruin it (the sauce or the dutch oven.) It *may* darken the
>> sauce a little; add a little gray to it. But it's a great source of
>> dietary iron. Seriously.

> It's a great source of iron for premenopausal women... As for the rest
> of us - supplementing iron (besides dietary iron) is a bad thing...
>
> ~john!

That's one reason I donate blood 4 or 5 times a year -- to get *rid* of
excess iron.

Best regards,
Bob

wej3715

zxcvbob ) wrote:
: Vince Poroke wrote:
: > Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
: > the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
: >
: > Thanks.
:
: No it won't ruin it (the sauce or the dutch oven.) It *may* darken the
: sauce a little; add a little gray to it. But it's a great source of
: dietary iron. Seriously.

Unless you are anemic, you don't need a great source of dietary
iron. Contrary to common belief, too much iron is not at all
healthy.

Too much iron can lead to heart disease (both athlersclerosis
and conduction disturbances) and it can promote the growth of
certain cancers and some not uncommon viruses, fungi, and bacteria.

There has been conjectures that the reason that women lag behind
men in heart disease before menopause but quckkly catch up afterwards
is because they tend to be slightly anemic prior to menopause
because of monthly blood loss. With no more periods, the anemia
disappears and heart disease quickly catch up with men.

If you want to live a long life, avoid extra sources of
iron. You should normally get every bit of iron you need
from a normal diet without seeking out more of it.

Eric Johnson
levelwave

zxcvbob wrote:

> That's one reason I donate blood 4 or 5 times a year -- to get *rid* of
> excess iron.

Maybe I should look into that... I use cast iron almost exclusively...

~john!

wej3715

zxcvbob ) wrote:
: That's one reason I donate blood 4 or 5 times a year -- to get *rid* of
: excess iron.

They quit taking my blood after heart surgery
back in the mid 70s.

Eric Johnson

levelwave

PENMART01 wrote:

> No one should be taking any suppliments unless directed by their
> physician, and then only when under a routine monitoring regimen.

There's mounds of research that suggests otherwise... I have Glaucoma
and after reading up on Pubmed.com there are a few supplements that
showed very promising results - bilberry and Ginkgo... The Ginkgo kept
circulation moving through the eyes which led to less nerve damage over
time... but Pharmacies can't put a patent on dietary supplements so the
money is not there for more research - so of course they are going to be
discouraged... And of course there's much more research on other
supplements besides these that show even more promising results...

Department of Ophthalmology, The New York Eye and Ear Infirmary, New
York 10003, USA.

Glaucoma is becoming recognized as a condition for which not only
elevated intraocular pressure, but also non-pressure-dependent risk
factors are responsible. New avenues of treatment into which
investigations are being initiated include agents which could possibly
improve blood flow to the eye and neuroprotective drugs. Only calcium
channel blockers are presently available for such treatment in glaucoma,
and these have not been widely adopted, in contrast to clinical trials
involving a number of neuroprotectants in other neurologic disorders.
Ginkgo biloba extract is freely available and has several biological
actions which combine to make it a potentially important agent in the
treatment of glaucoma: improvement of central and peripheral blood flow,
reduction of vasospasm, reduction of serum viscosity, antioxidant
activity, platelet activating factor inhibitory activity, inhibition of
apoptosis, and inhibition of excitotoxicity. The effect of Ginkgo biloba
extract as a potential antiglaucoma therapy deserves intensive scrutiny.
Copyright 2000 Harcourt Publishers Ltd.

--------------------------

Effect of Ginkgo biloba extract on preexisting visual field damage in
normal tension glaucoma.

Quaranta L, Bettelli S, Uva MG, Semeraro F, Turano R, Gandolfo E.

Centro Glaucoma, Clinica Oculistica Universita di Brescia, 25123
Brescia, Italy.

OBJECTIVE: To evaluate the effect of Ginkgo biloba extract (GBE) on
preexisting visual field damage in patients with normal tension glaucoma
(NTG). DESIGN: Prospective, randomized, placebo-controlled,
double-masked cross-over trial. PARTICIPANTS: Twenty-seven patients with
bilateral visual field damage resulting from NTG. INTERVENTION: Patients
received 40 mg GBE, administered orally, three times daily for 4 weeks,
followed by a wash-out period of 8 weeks, then 4 weeks of placebo
treatment (identical capsules filled with 40 mg fructose). Other
patients underwent the same regimen, but took the placebo first and the
GBE last. Visual field tests, performed at baseline and at the end of
each phase of the study, were evaluated for changes. MAIN OUTCOME
MEASURES: Change in visual field and any ocular or systemic
complications. RESULTS: After GBE treatment, a significant improvement
in visual fields indices was recorded: mean deviation (MD) at baseline
versus MD after GBE treatment, 11.40 +/- 3.27 dB versus 8.78 +/- 2.56 dB
(t = 8.86, P = 0.0001, chi-square test); corrected pattern standard
deviation (CPSD) at baseline versus CPSD after GBE treatment, 10.93 +/-
2.12 dB versus 8.13 +/- 2.12 dB (t = 9.89, P = 0.0001, chi-square test).
No significant changes were found in intraocular pressure, blood
pressure, or heart rate after placebo or GBE treatment. Any ocular and
systemic side effects were recorded for the duration of the trial.
CONCLUSIONS: Ginkgo biloba extract administration appears to improve
preexisting visual field damage in some patients with NTG.

------------------

Ginkgo biloba extract increases ocular blood flow velocity.

Chung HS, Harris A, Kristinsson JK, Ciulla TA, Kagemann C, Ritch R.

Glaucoma Research and Diagnostic Center, Department of Ophthalmology,
Indiana University Medical Center, Indianapolis 46202, USA.

We evaluated a possible therapeutic effect of Ginkgo biloba extract
(GBE) on glaucoma patients that may benefit from improvements in ocular
blood flow. A Phase I cross-over trial of GBE with placebo control in 11
healthy volunteers (8 women, 3 men: Age; 34 +/- 3 years, mean +/- SE)
was performed. Patients were treated with either GBE 40 mg or placebo
three times daily orally, for 2 days. Color Doppler imaging (Siemens
Quantum 2000) was used to measure ocular blood flow before and after
treatment. There was a two week washout period between GBE and placebo
treatment. Ginkgo biloba extract significantly increased end diastolic
velocity (EDV) in the ophthalmic artery (OA) (baseline vs GBE-treatment;
6.5 +/- 0.5 vs 7.7 +/- 0.5 cm/sec, 23% change, p=0.023), with no change
seen in placebo (baseline vs GBE-treatment; 7.2 +/- 0.6 vs 7.1 +/- 0.5
cm/sec, 3% change, p=0.892). No side effects related to GBE were found.
Ginkgo biloba extract did not alter arterial blood pressure, heart rate,
or IOP. Ginkgo biloba extract significantly increased EDV in the OA and
deserves further investigation in ocular blood flow and neuroprotection
for possible application to the treatment of glaucomatous optic
neuropathy as well as other ischemic ocular diseases.

PENMART01

In article >, levelwave
> writes:

>PENMART01 wrote:
>
>> No one should be taking any suppliments unless directed by their
>> physician, and then only when under a routine monitoring regimen.

>There's mounds of research that suggests otherwise... I have Glaucoma
>and after reading up on Pubmed.com there are a few supplements that
>showed very promising results - bilberry and Ginkgo... The Ginkgo kept
>circulation moving through the eyes which led to less nerve damage over
>time... but Pharmacies can't put a patent on dietary supplements so the
>money is not there for more research - so of course they are going to be
>discouraged... And of course there's much more research on other
>supplements besides these that show even more promising results...

If you're hell bent on risking your eyesight by practicing medicine without a
license then you'll have no one to blame but yourself.

---= Move UNITED NATIONS To Paris =---
Sheldon
````````````

Cult of Nurse's

Vince Poroke wrote:
> Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
> the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
>
> Thanks.

Why don't you get an enameled cast iron pot? They really are nice.

Vince Poroke

Cult of Nurse's > wrote in message >...
> Vince Poroke wrote:
> > Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
> > the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
> >
> > Thanks.

> Why don't you get an enameled cast iron pot? They really are nice.

Thanks for the information. It is also expensive so I can't afford it.

Cult of Nurse's

Vince Poroke wrote:
> Cult of Nurse's > wrote in message >...
>
>>Vince Poroke wrote:
>>
>>>Does Lodge cast iron dutch oven react to acids? I was thinking along
>>>the lines of a tomato sauce. Would it ruin it?
>>>
>>>Thanks.

>>Why don't you get an enameled cast iron pot? They really are nice.

> Thanks for the information. It is also expensive so I can't afford it.

Yes, they are. I have bought three types of enameled cast iron cookware
on ebay and paid the most for a used Le Creuset. It seems like Le
Creuset has more quality control, it really is a nice pot, nice tone,
doesn't burn the food , etc. Also, looks like Chef Olney favored Le
Creuset, what's good for Chef Olney is good for me (why I bought).

Edwin Pawlowski

"Vince Poroke" > wrote in message

> > Why don't you get an enameled cast iron pot? They really are nice.

> Thanks for the information. It is also expensive so I can't afford it.

Then buy a Teflon coated aluminum pan or stainless steel. I'd not be
worried that the tomato will affect the pan, but the pan can affect the
tomato and give a bitter taste to it. DAMHIKT

A fairly hefty Club Aluminum or Meyer pan will do a good job.
Ed